SM NU dog

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Hi. With the current NU suspect test winding down, I thought I would post the team which gave me the most success during the current meta. I had already posted this in the NU Team Bazaar thread, but wanted to make a more in-depth analysis regarding the team. The team was based around SD Lycanroc with Spikes support to allow it to actually pose a threat to the opponent.

1530088244475.png
1530088442411.png
1530088287450.png
1530088292694.png
1530088298715.png
1530088307612.png

1530086186875.png

Lycanroc @ Lycanium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run
- Accelerock

Lycanroc was chosen for this team as the Pokemon to build around, because while it's typically a very underwhelming Pokemon, Sand + Spikes support turns it into a pretty passable sweeper, cleaner, or wall breaker. I had originally gone with an Adamant nature to maximize damage output, but missing out on outspeeding Pokemon such as Mismagius and Delphox outside of Sand didn't sit too well with me regardless of them dropping to +2 Accelerock. A Jolly nature also further cements me having good speed control outside of Sand given the team lacks a Scarfer. The set is as bog standard as it gets; Lycanium Z turns Stone Edge into a single-use Splintered Stormshards which is a great nuke and lets Lycanroc deal with Pokemon such as Slowbro after a Swords Dance. I went with Drill Run instead of Fire Fang, because Drill Run is not only a bit stronger, but also has generally the same coverage, though Fire Fang can be run to catch Ferroseed and the occasional Bronzor. Lastly, Accelerock lets Lycanroc not fear fast Scarfers such as Delphox outside of Sand while also providing me a way to revenge kill outside of Sand.

1530086560507.png

Gigalith @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Gigalith was a necessity for Lycanroc to work to any extent as a threatening Swords Dance attacker; Gigalith provides Sand for 8 turns with a Smooth Rock, supporting both Lycanroc and Stoutland well while also helping to slowly chip away at the enemy team. Gigalith is my Stealth Rock user, and is really effective at its job because of how bulky it is, allowing for it to not only reset Sand multiple times throughout a battle, but also set Stealth Rock multiple times should my opponent have hazard control. I went with Rock Blast instead of Stone Edge since it's on average the better move (on average it hits 3.5 times and has better accuracy, which equates to a higher effective power), while Earthquake lets me chip away at Steel- and Rock-type Pokemon like Steelix and Rhydon. Lastly, Toxic allows Gigalith to punish Pokemon like Slowbro and Whimsicott for trying to switch in and abuse a favorable match up.

1530086884129.png

Stoutland @ Life Orb
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Iron Head

Stoutland works really nicely on this team not only because it too abuses Sand via Sand Rush, but also by breaking defensive switch ins it shares with Lycanroc, such as Steelix and Palossand. I opted for a Life Orb set, as I feel Life Orb Stoutland is just a better choice; it becomes much harder for the opponent to gain momentum on you with defensive switch ins if you're not locked into a move they can manage, such as Palossand or Diancie switching in on a Frustration. Superpower helps me round out coverage by hitting Steel-types such as Steelix and Klinklang. I ran with Crunch instead of Pursuit since Lycanroc really needs all the help it can get in breaking through Palossand, and Crunch does a better job of that. Lastly, Iron Head lets me bop opposing Diancie, further opening the gate for Lycanroc to clean late, or for Stoutland to simply click Frustration instead of having to rely on prediction.

1530087192005.png

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Pain Split

Garbodor helps me begin to round out my defensive backbone of the team; my Sand core left me extremely weak to opposing Fighting-types like Passimian and Toxicroak, and I badly needed a Grass resist too to check the surging Sceptile and still prominent Whimsicott. Garbodor also provides my team with a generally solid Comfey check, which is a necessity for Sand teams, while also being an emergency Incineroar check should I need to chunk it with recoil damage. Spikes provide crucial support to the team, allowing me to break through specifically Palossand much more effectively with Stoutland; otherwise, Palossand is a real headache to deal with. Toxic Spikes further augment my matchup against bulky teams by punishing repetitive pivoting to defensive staples like Slowbro. Pain Split was chosen for the last slot since Garbodor was lacking any sort of passive recovery, and since Garbodor is effective at forcing switches, it is pretty easy to get it off. Lastly, Gunk Shot lets me not be complete Taunt bait while offensively threatening Fairy- and Grass-types.

1530087616730.png

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail

Slowking was a natural fit for this team over Slowbro given its access to one move in particular: Dragon Tail. Dragon Tail + Future Sight allows me to not only heavily punish switch ins and pivoting, but also allows me to shuffle the enemy team around to stack up residual damage from hazards and denies them their desired Future Sight absorber. Future Sight is also a really neat move because of how it simply forces your opponent to play in a very telegraphed way; it's very easy to predict on the turn Future Sight is going to hit, which allows for appropriate counterplay with less threat of misplay. I went with Fire Blast > Flamethrower, because Fire Blast guarantees an OHKO on Whimsicott and has a chance to OHKO Sceptile, while Flamethrower requires more chip. Sure, the team should easily get said chip through hazards and Sand damage, but Fire Blast hitting is more reliable, in my opinion, than relying on ensuring chip damage.

1530088019259.png

Whimsicott @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- U-turn

Whimsicott was chosen as my last team member for many reasons. For starters, it provides further offensive synergy with my Sand core of Lycanroc + Stoutland by breaking down opposing Steel-types such as Steelix and Silvally-Steel. Whimsicott also gave me more speed control outside of Sand, along with a way to pivot to both of my Sand abusers via U-Turn. I have experimented with Memento in the last slot, and while it's definitely viable, I generally prefer U-Turn since it allows for multiple pivots. Moonblast and Energy Ball give me dual STAB, and Psychic gives Whimsicott coverage to hit Poison-types like Garbodor and Golbat. Lastly, Infiltrator is the ability of choice since it allows me to still bop things behind a Substitute, such as Bulk Up Braviary.

Hopefully you lads enjoy the team. It worked for me, so it should probably work for anyone else lol.
Lycanroc @ Lycanium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run
- Accelerock

Gigalith @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Stoutland @ Life Orb
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Iron Head

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Pain Split

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail

Whimsicott @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- U-turn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)