Battle Stadium Doing Awful

I keep changing my team, but clearly not for the better. 11 to 18, doing quite bad. I can't beat Milotic, or even look at it. Fini probably has to go its scarf isn't bad enough to Milotic to be a check.

1623023377130.png

Drifblim @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Level: 50
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Strength Sap
- Destiny Bond

Still here, Good vs. a lot of physical attackers. Notably Rillabloom and Kartana, though it's perfect vs. neither. But it's very good vs. DNite. Unburden has been the main draw, w/ just 12 EVs and a +Spe nature I outspeed up to +1 Adamant Urshifu, and it's not hard to activate w/ Sitrus. Zapdos is a huge pain though, since it probably Dynamaxes to avoid Destiny Bond. More than once in my few games last season it has been good vs. TTar despite weakness to both its STABs. Same deal w/ Rhypherior. I've seen some interesting times this actually works Dynamaxed, though that's not its role ofc. Planning to try this out in the no Dynamax meta next season, it should improve.

1623023468244.png

Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Trick
- Moonblast

This has been ok, it can get some damage on Zapdos at least, unlike other Fini. Though not if the brat has Airstreamed, so it leaves me even weaker to Zapdos and Pex and may have to go. Trick has messed up some stuff, like Ferro and even a mirror where I got Lefties and put those on P2 lol. Surf not Scald cause I'm 252 SpA and so the power difference is as great as can be, I miss burns on flyers though.

1624472666014.png

Heatran @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 100 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 31 Atk
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Steel Beam
- Magma Storm

A fairly new mon to the team, suggested by dd777. This seems a bit odd, but I did want to use Iron Defense Heatran for a while. It has balanced defenses so it shouldn't necessarily be limited to SpD, though Landog and Urshifu are trouble. This hurts P2 somewhat which is always appreciated. WP beats Cinderace w/ Steelspike, since it'll Max Knuckle. My only experiences w/ it I recall are Iron Defensing on an Azumarill switch-in, where I won w/ Steelspike twice, and ohkoing a Landog that switched in(was +2.) 31 Atk to occasionally use Max Knuckle myself, like on TTar maybe.

1625683492490.png

Calyrex-Ice @ Assault Vest
Ability: As One (Glastrier)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Glacial Lance
- Bullet Seed
- High Horsepower
- Close Combat

Right this second this slot is my old Landog, but once S10 starts I no longer want a Dynamax hog since that'll be off the table. AV cause WP is taken, unsure if that'll work out. Usual moves I think, Bullet Seed not Seed Bomb for some sashes(mattered once on Lycanroc) and Mimikyu maybe. This is my favorite legend and hopefully patches up my Zapdos weakness. Landog sure doesn't. Still not great vs, Pex.

1625683706626.png

Clefable @ Power Herb
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpA
Modest Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Flamethrower

My newest idea. I think this has some merit, and I'm more inclined to want to win using this than Drifblim atm. Meteor Beam OHKOs offensive Zapdos(I guess good on a switch, if it's LO not only do I die to Airstream and maybe Hurricane, I don't ohko cause it goes max.) Also useful for non-Gunk Shot Ace/Ace switch ins. Sometimes I've set up multiple times w/ Meteor Beam cause of bulk and not enough power. Flamethrower is nice for Ferro, so I don't need Heatran for sure. Moonblast is really strong STAB, though I hate ignoring their SpA drops. But Unaware is crucial imo. Physically defensive to buff the lower side, but Modest to do more damage and it's a higher base stat.

1625683928693.png

Darmanitan-Galar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

The newest addition. Another ice, which I'm worried about for next season when Calyrex-I is on the team. This should get me past the horror of Pex, and Sash lets me take Excadrill's attack and OHKO back. I could run Scarf and just outspeed, but not if it's in sand. Still, next season it'll be no Dynamax aka Airstream, so scarf isn't outsped much...Flare Blitz has no place on Sash imo, so I have Stone Edge. Usual other moves I think. Not as sure about Adamant vs. Jolly, this used to be Adamant CB to kill like everything slow, but if it's sash it might not make as much sense.

Last edited:
Just wondering if you are looking for a rate this season or the next?

The meta is completely going to change next season with no dynamax and restricted mons back so it is going to be hard to just slap a restricted mon on an existing team. Since you included Calyrex-I am going to make suggestions for next season around it.

I have built a team around Calyrex-I for next season. You definitely want to be running Trick Room. Calyrex is bulky but slow. You don't want to keep taking hits from faster mons. I would drop Close Combat for Trick Room and swap the item for either a Life Orb or Lum Berry. I would put the fighting coverage elsewhere. Life Orb gives you more firepower but Lum Berry is handy to avoid burns and unwanted status.

Calyrex-I is going to be heavily prepared for because it is going to be a big threat. So team building needs to take into account this. Calyrex-I is going to countered by Steels (Zacian, Necrozma Dusk Mane, Steela), Fires (Ho-Oh, Ace, Blaziken, Heatran) and Darks (Urshifu, Moltres-G, Yvetal [I know no dynamax for Airstream but they will probably still get use]). Kyogre is also going to be a big threat since Water Spout is bonkers.

I know you are a big fan of Drifblim but it doesn't really sync well with Calyrex IMO. You can't burn fires and you are also weak to dark. So I feel you may need to make a choice whether or not to run both next season. I feel you are better off focusing on Calyrex-I.

In summary, Calyrex-I needs the following:
- a fire type for steels
- a fairy for darks (fighting or bug (LOL) aren't very good vs flying darks)
- kyogre checks and counters
- a way to counter fires
- a way to break through fat mons (pex, p2 etc. Fat mons are gonna be harder to break through with no dynamax next season)

Check this post on good cores for Calyrex-I: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...egend-cores-for-series-8.3674888/post-8739806
I think the stuff mentioned will still be relevant. I feel Mimi, Regi and Ace/Blaziken are good partners for Calyrex-I.

For Fires:
I don't think Heatran is going to be good against Zacian next season. You need something faster IMO. Recommend Scarf Ace as a revenge killer.

For Fairy:
I think Clefable might still be worth it, but I think run calm mind or comic power or minimize over meteor beam and give it a kee berry. No dynamax is going to make Minimize more powerful next season.

For Ho-Oh:
Ho-Oh stall is going to be the hardest match up. So you want a bulky water or some rock coverage for it. Recommend Unaware Quag which also checks Zacian.

(This is relevant for your current team) I think you need an electric mon to counter bulky waters, Steela and Zapdos/electrics. The ones that counter water/ground are really good. You also need a switch into volt switch (ground or volt absorb) because it can create a tempo for you to launch a free attack into your opponent.

Some examples:
- eerie impulse Zapdos
- nasty plot thundurus-t
- soak lanturn
- sub CM raikou (has scald for grounds)
- my fave mon lately freeze-dry Arctozolt

Last edited:
wow that's a lot. Thanks. I will use TR, not really my thing but I can try it once. Is normal Spe fine? I can't change the IV to be lower ofc. Is Fini fine for a fairy and fire counter/check? To beat Yveltal and all that. I was under the impression Darm-G beats fat mons like Pex, but I'll give it CB next season over Sash. I am mostly looking for a rate for the next season since that will last longer than the remains of this one.

You suggest Lum or LO, is WP not the best item for Caly-I? I thought it was due to the plethora of weaknesses yet no 4x ones. I know the Clefable is out there, but I sorta like it and want to succeed w/ it to some degree esp. if I take out Drifblim cause I'll still have something my own. Meteor Beam is a cool move and does ohko Ho-oh while Clef has a chance vs. even CB Sacred Fire(idk if they'll be that item but anyways.)

You could run weakness policy if you like. There is no more dynamax to double your HP to guarantee you survive multiple super effective hits though. I am testing both lum and LO atm, can't tell you which is better. My team is a little weak to sleep atm so considering Lum so I am not endlessly yawned.

With the speed, 31 speed IVs lets you outspeed Hippo outside of trick room. Which is handy so you can beat it before it can yawn you. You don't always have to trick room as well. Against fatter stuff you might not wanna trick room so you are faster (like pex for example)

I think Fini is fine as a fairy, fire check. You won't be faster than max speed Jolly Zacian with a scarf though. I also feel a Nature's madness variation might be better for Fini this meta (no dynamax so you will always half the HP). I prefer to use the scarf on something faster than Zacian. I am using scarf Ace as a revenge killer for it.

Darm is a good breaker but has basically the same coverage as Caly. I think you are better using the team slot on something else IMO. The only thing is High Horsepower does not OHKO Pex. So you need to make sure you wear it down before trying to sweep with Caly.

In regards to Ho-Oh, they will run sub to prevent status. So meteor beam is going to be hard to hit when you don't have a power herb if it keeps a sub up. It is a very cool set for this meta though, but don't see it being effective against Ho-Oh. I see more benefit from minimize tbh, the evasion will win you games if you get it set up.

Oh good, the Calyrex is fine w/ its spe. I guess w/ the way things are now I can change nature and EVs easily, so I'll go back to Bold Fini and use Scarf Ace over Darm-G as you insist. I'll have to find something else for Pex then.

Yeah Pex is a pain. I am running trapping Fini next season to bait it in and then whirlpool/taunt trap it to death. My guess is the meta will be fatter without dynamax so trapping Fini will be decent.

Dual screens Lieki will be good for Caly-I too.

In regards to Lum vs Life Orb, I have be practising a little bit on the casual ladder and found life orb wore calyrex down too quickly without max. (I was trying not to dynamax it to practise for next season) and Lum Berry generates momentum opportunities against yawners and burners. It still hit pretty hard without the life orb. Also banded Grassy Glide from boomer is a 2KO with lib orb chip but is not without it (that means you can get trick room up against it as well).

O, ok. So trapping Fini, not Nature's Madness? Or do you mean both?

I'll switch to screens Lieki if you recommend it, do you think losing specs damage will be ok? Cause of Yveltal and Kyogre I mean. Also if the meta will be fatter, won't specs have an edge whereas Screens turns are more likely to get wasted by something fat?

I'm still really keen on WP even w/o Dynamax, but if it doesn't work I'll go lum. Either way I didn't think LO would be the way cause of the chip. Thx for testing it.

EDIT: What do you think about Rhypherior on my team? It was suggested but isn't working out. That/ Clefable/ ScarfAce/ Fini/ Screens Lieki/ Caly.

Last edited:
I am running Whirlpool / Natures / Taunt / Moonblast with lefties for passive recovery. You can run protect in the last spot, but then you don't have any 100% accurate moves. (Fini is my fairy mon for Darks so I need Moonblast)

I haven't run specs Lieki so not sure if you lose damage. Its ability powers up electric attacks, so it still hits hard without a specs. The problem with Lieki (especially a specs set where you are move locked) is that it can be a momentum drain against grounds, it just doesn't have great coverage to hit something on the switch. I am running Explosion on my screens Lieki. It can give you momentum and a free switch when need it (except versus damp swampert).

Looking at your team atm, you still look very Zacian weak. Rhyperior won't help that. I think Quagsire is a good counter for Zacian (and other set up mons).

I am running Caly-I / Screens Lieki / Tapu Fini / Rocky Helmet Quagsire / Scarf Ace. The last spot is still up for grabs (still have a sash item slot up my sleeve). Been testing a mix between Mimi (curse + trick room), both Urshifus, Defensive Zapdos and Dragapult. Not really sure what I need in the last spot. I have run into trouble against Gastrodon and bulky Volcarona. I am also cautious about Ho-Oh (that can run giga drain), Reshiram (powerful fire type, dragon with no fairy weakness) and Eternatus (fat fast mon, another dragon without fairy weakness).

Testing has been hard because I am testing on casual mode on cart and dynamax is still being used. It is really hard to gauge whether some of the weaknesses I have seen will still be present without oppressive dynamaxes. I have also not dynamaxed unless I absolutely have had to (trying not to rely on max in testing).

Last edited:
Ah, sounds like after your rates we have about the same team lol. Just the Clefable difference. But that's fine, I'll try the Quagsire, at least Helmet does something w/ no Dynamax.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)