[DONE] KANTO CLASSIC: Post your results!

9-1 on day 1.

My loss I decided to change my lead and was too stubborn to switch.

I had a comeback only to get Fissure'd by Snorlax to stop my momentum.

10-0 for day 1.

Ran into 2 freebie teams (in game teams probably just battling for the free Dragonite), but aside from that the level of competition wasn't bad. Came across some odd sets like Stockpile Weezing and a Porygon of all things (I forgot how powerful Analytic Tri Attack could be). Also only encountered Clefable on one team surprisingly enough, but plenty of Snorlax and Slowbro. The average length of my games time-wise have been between 10-20 minutes (one game went to 60 turns, which felt like an eternity) and I'm not even running a stall team (more of balance).

Also, I'm wondering how disconnects are treated? My last opponent clearly disconnected in rage after I Encore'd his Snorlax on a very obvious Rest so I'm wondering if that counts as a win on my end?

Anyway, this was probably the easiest day. It's all uphill from here as only the hardcore will be sticking around for all 3 days and 30 battles.

Best of luck to everyone in this thread and to all the people who have spent time preparing for this 20th anniversary celebration!

Last edited:
Last chance: anyone have an abra with magic guard and egg move encore?? I will be home in 20 minutes or so but have no access to this guy!

Last chance: anyone have an abra with magic guard and egg move encore?? I will be home in 20 minutes or so but have no access to this guy!
I should have one, I'll take it out of my pokebank and send it over. PM me when you get home.

Also, to report my record today. 9-1, lost to two stone edge misses against burned Gyarados with my Aerodactyl. Oh well.

Played against 3 scrub teams and a number of good teams, so there is totally some good competition out there.

Last edited:
It's a shame a this kantos Classic tournament can't be on an even playing field. Playing people with Pokemon <50lvl isn't fair. And since when do you online battle with <50? Smh

Currently 9-1 myself. My one loss was due to my opponent nabbing a Sheer Cold on my Snorlax (after me missing like 4 with my Articuno ;-;). Other than that, a few freebies and a couple solid games. Probably gonna be harder tomorrow.

Also, I faced a guy today on my 7th match that used the most powerful Snorlax set I have ever seen: J5AG-WWWW-WW3L-S5ZC

First time poster and long time sporadic lurker.

Thought I'd post about my day one experience. I ended the first day with a record of 10-0. I faced probably 4 Charizards, which all died to a Stone Edge, people don't use Charizard.

In seriousness, I only saw one Clefable. Though I am sure I will face more tomorrow as I play against more high rated players after day 1. There were plenty of Alakazams.

Games were over within 15 mins most of the time. I only once encountered a stall team with a Slobro with Curse, Calm Mind and Slack Off. Which was a bit annoying to deal with.

Super big fan of the format, lots of fun.

Aaand my competition is ruined. Should've been 6-0, am 3-3. 3 disconnects, 3 different error codes. Internet works perfectly on other devices. F***ing Nintendo and their noob technology. Good luck to you others guys, I expect some of you to finish very high for this!

EDIT: 2 new DCs. 4-5, ~1477. Should have been at 1600+ now. Officially quitting this bs, I even vacated my birthday to make sure I was able to play uninterrupted, as I've never felt more prepared before a competition :'/

Last edited:
Welp...first tournament i decided to try serious in, aaaand i don't know if i can recover from this....xD 4-6 (i went in not knowing tiers yet and such, as im new to the competative battle). I'm still shocked i was able to knock out 3 pokemon with just chansey, I also have never seen a Clefable with softboiled before so thats something i wasnt expecting

Welp...first tournament i decided to try serious in, aaaand i don't know if i can recover from this....xD 4-6 (i went in not knowing tiers yet and such, as im new to the competative battle). I'm still shocked i was able to knock out 3 pokemon with just chansey, I also have never seen a Clefable with softboiled before so thats something i wasnt expecting
I did worse than the previous competition with my 10 battles, not really sure why. I think I just got really unlucky with opponents, only 1 of them wasn't a truly competitive opposing team. :/

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Aaand my competition is ruined. Should've been 6-0, am 3-3. 3 disconnects, 3 different error codes. Internet works perfectly on other devices. F***ing Nintendo and their noob technology. Good luck to you others guys, I expect some of you to finish very high for this!

EDIT: 2 new DCs. 4-5, ~1477. Should have been at 1600+ now. Officially quitting this bs, I even vacated my birthday to make sure I was able to play uninterrupted, as I've never felt more prepared before a competition :'/
That really sucks dude. Are you absolutely sure it isn't something at your end like being too far from the router or whatever? I've also found that having too many things competing for the same signal has DCed me before. If it is their (Nintendo's) fault, I would be emailing them with the error codes and explaining what happened straight away.

As for my own endeavors; I'm still breeding stuff before I can even play! I sort of just threw my team together not too seriously, but noticed that I auto-lose to Dragonite, so I'm replacing my gimmicky Snorlax with a gimmicky Clefable. I almost just wanna keep the Lax because it's funny and try and out-play the Dragonite user but I think Clef will be really good anyway...

6/4 on the first day,not so good
I'm so bad luck today
Confuse 5 turn and hit your self all five
Middle of win,got disconnect
Get hit by hỏn drill and fissure after their first try
Full heal zam miss focusblast and got killed by yellow hp snorlax

I did worse than the previous competition with my 10 battles, not really sure why. I think I just got really unlucky with opponents, only 1 of them wasn't a truly competitive opposing team. :/
I think my issue was trying to build my team by myself on just thoughts alone and not researching in depth on what to use lol (that and i realized too late my Golem has Rock Head instead of Sturdy)

10-0 for day 1.

Ran into 2 freebie teams (in game teams probably just battling for the free Dragonite), but aside from that the level of competition wasn't bad. Came across some odd sets like Stockpile Weezing and a Porygon of all things (I forgot how powerful Analytic Tri Attack could be). Also only encountered Clefable on one team surprisingly enough, but plenty of Snorlax and Slowbro. The average length of my games time-wise have been between 10-20 minutes (one game went to 60 turns, which felt like an eternity) and I'm not even running a stall team (more of balance).

Also, I'm wondering how disconnects are treated? My last opponent clearly disconnected in rage after I Encore'd his Snorlax on a very obvious Rest so I'm wondering if that counts as a win on my end?

Anyway, this was probably the easiest day. It's all uphill from here as only the hardcore will be sticking around for all 3 days and 30 battles.

Best of luck to everyone in this thread and to all the people who have spent time preparing for this 20th anniversary celebration!
In my experience they update your record after the system decides on who disconnected.

I was 8-1 and in my 10th my opponent disconnected when I disabled, encored his Lapras.

Since he was down 5-3 and he clearly disconnected, I should see the win today.

I had a few disconnects overnight as I played my games, and those wins were awarded almost immediately. Finished day one at 10-0 with a few very tight wins. People seem to not expect Clefable to be Unaware, which has saved me a couple times.

Best thing I've seen was a Slowbro with Iron Defense/Belly Drum/Drain Punch. Legit terrified me for a moment. I've yet to see an Articuno, and my biggest wish is that I went for a second coverage move on Machamp instead of Toxic, as I seem to barely use it. Not once in my first ten matches was there something I'd rather have poisoned than paralyzed.

That really sucks dude. Are you absolutely sure it isn't something at your end like being too far from the router or whatever? I've also found that having too many things competing for the same signal has DCed me before. If it is their (Nintendo's) fault, I would be emailing them with the error codes and explaining what happened straight away.

As for my own endeavors; I'm still breeding stuff before I can even play! I sort of just threw my team together not too seriously, but noticed that I auto-lose to Dragonite, so I'm replacing my gimmicky Snorlax with a gimmicky Clefable. I almost just wanna keep the Lax because it's funny and try and out-play the Dragonite user but I think Clef will be really good anyway...
I've been sitting at the same spot with the same connection since summer and never had any problems with the 3DS, so idk. Either way, it tells me that the 3DS or the server is ridiculously susceptible to even a slightly sub-optimal connection, even one that is working perfectly fine otherwise. And there is not even a short delay to make it possible to reconnect quickly. Combine this with a 60 min timer...

On the bright side, I get a good laugh from some of the sets I'm facing. Ice Punch Alakazam is the best so far.

I am using Machamp, Snorlax, Clefable, Jolteon, Gengar and Dragonite. 9-1 with around 1630 pts. after day 1. The loss was a forfeit after getting critted on my Self-Destruct turn, losing the 50/50 in the Gengar mirror and getting Body Slam paralyzed while passing a +2 Work Up to Dragonite against Venusaur/Gengar/Slowbro/Dragonite/Clefable/Snorlax. Another game was a squaker with my 8 HP Dragonite sweeping 3 pokemon after suriving a Jolteon HP Ice with Stealth Rock because of HP EVs.

I played two freebies, but here's some non-fringe pokemon usage stats from my opponents:

5x Zapdos (1 Discharge)
5x Gengar (1 Will-o-Wisp)

4x Jolteon (1 Volt Switch)
4x Clefable (3 Calm Mind, 1 Aromatherapy)
4x Dragonite (no Extremespeed users)

3x Charizard (2 Dragon Dance, 1 Overheat)
3x Nidoking (1 Toxic Spikes)

2x Aerodactyl
2x Chansey (1 Minimize)
2x Lapras (1 Sheer Cold user)
2x Venusaur (1 Light Screen)
2x Venomoth
2x Snorlax (1 Curse)

1x Starmie
1x Slowbro
0x Alakazam

Last edited:

Sorry to hear that... :/

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
10-0 for day 1.

Pretty sure disconnects of any kind will count as a loss, regardless of who is winning in the game. The message at the beginning of the competition says that disconnects will be recorded as losses so you should be good.

My first comment xD. Well, it seems that I have problems against Gengar.
My first day ended with a 7-3 and 3 people disconnected :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)