ORAS UU Double Dragon

warzoid

I have several gelatinous friends
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

__
__
_

Double Dragon

Hello everybody! I'm warzoid, possibly the most overrated UU player around, and this is my first RMT. I built this team a few months ago for fun, but it ended up being pretty decent competitively (no ladder peak, sorry). However, the Cobalion craze, Mamoswine drop, and rise of DD Feraligatr have made the team harder to pull off in the current meta.

tennisace suggested that I build around a core of DD Haxorus + DD Mence. Since they share similar checks and counters, one of them will ideally be able to pave the way for the other to sweep.

I decided to add Slurpuff since it can set up on scarfed Mienshao and Hydreigon that can revenge kill the dragons. It also appreciates the dragons' ability to weaken opposing steel types.

I wanted a Stealth Rock setter that could threaten fairies and steels, so I chose Nidoqueen.

I needed hazards off my side of the field to give my setup sweepers more opportunities to set up. I also didn't have a mega yet, so Mega Blastoise was my pick.

Finally, I needed a check to Abomasnow, as well as an additional fairy check. I also wanted a switchin to Draco Meteor other than Slurpuff, since I didn't want to risk it getting weakened early in the game. Escavalier was just what I was looking for. I initially tried Assault Vest, but I switched to SD to power through walls such as Suicune.

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Dragon #1. I wanted Haxorus to play more of a breaker role than a sweeper role, so I gave it a Life Orb for ultra-powerful Outrages. Mold Breaker Earthquake does major damage to Mega Aggron and Bronzong. Double dragon strategies are obviously weak to fairies, so Poison Jab was a necessity in the final moveslot. Haxorus is running enough speed to outspeed base 95s.

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly / Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Iron Tail
- Fire Blast / Earthquake

Dragon #2. Lum Berry + Intimidate lets Salamence set up against a wide range of pokemon including Entei, fighting types, and bulky waters. Lum Berry also allows Mence to spam Outrage in a late-game scenario. Iron Tail bops fairies. Fire Blast is great for hitting Forretress and Bronzong, but Earthquake is nice for Empoleon.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Return

Slurpuff pairs very well with the two dragons, since all the Outrage spam is usually going to force Doublade, Forretress, and Mega Aggron to come in and get weakened. It also sets up on scarf Mienshao and scarf Hydreigon, making it dangerous to revenge kill Haxorus and Mence. I'm running enough speed to outspeed scarf Infernape, with the rest in HP to make Belly Drumming a little easier.

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

Nidoqueen is one of the best offensive Stealth Rockers, but it's particularly good on this team since it destroys all the fairies and steels (except Bronzong) that wall my sweepers. I decided to run max speed since I don't have switchins to opposing Nidoqueen and need to outspeed or at least speed tie. I went with Thunderbolt over the standard Ice Beam since the team can have trouble with bulky waters. Besides, no one's leaving Gligar in against Nidoqueen anyways.

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald / Water Pulse / Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Rapid Spin

Standard Mega Toise. I can never decide which water move to use, although I go with Scald more than the others. Dark Pulse prevents Jellicent from spinblocking and also nails bulky psychics. Aura Sphere provides great coverage against Abomasnow, Empoleon, Umbreon, and Porygon2. I've considered running Ice Beam to take out Whimsicott, but I prefer the current coverage the best. Max HP allows Blastoise to take more hits from stuff like Darmanitan and Mega Aerodactyl.

Escavalier @ Lum Berry
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Escavalier is an amazing glue mon for this team. It checks opposing dragons and fairies, takes on most Abomasnow, knocks off Porygon2, destroys Umbreon and Cresselia, breaks through Suicune with SD + Lum, and provides the team with a big bulky tank that can trade with a lot of opposing threats. Lum Berry lets it take on bulky waters without fear of a Scald burn. I actually tried Rawst Berry for a while since Escavalier doesn't care about the paralysis speed drop, but I switched back to Lum after losing a few games to full paralysis. I would have liked to fit Drill Run on the set, but Escavalier really needs the spammable Knock Off and dual STABs. I'm running enough speed to outspeed Slowking and Reuniclus, although I have also tried minimum speed to counter Trick Room teams.

Mamoswine: Ice Shard picks off Mence and Haxorus, and Earthquake OHKOs Nidoqueen. Blastoise and Escavalier can take one hit, but you're pretty much sacking something every time it comes in.
Feraligatr:
Extremely threatening after a Dragon Dance. If it's in versus Nidoqueen, you have to sack so it won't get to +2.
Mega Sceptile:
I somehow forgot all about this thing while teambuilding. Switch to Escavalier and pray it doesn't have HP Fire.
Mega Abomasnow:
Mixed variants with HP Fire are extremely difficult to deal with. Swords Dance can sweep if Escavalier and Blastoise are weakened.
Cobalion:
Walls Escavalier to no end and sets up Swords Dances. If it's Magnet Rise, it can set up on Nidoqueen as well.
Umbreon:
Foul Play makes setup impossible and 2HKOs Escavalier if it tries to switch in.
Whimsicott:
Nidoqueen and Escavalier can handle it pretty well, but it walls Blastoise and has Prankster Encore, making it tricky to set up with the dragons and Slurpuff. Try to catch it with a Poison Jab on the switch.

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Iron Tail
- Fire Blast

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Return

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Rapid Spin

Escavalier @ Lum Berry
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Feedback and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially with regards to the pokemon on the threatlist. I'm open to making any modifications necessary, including replacing one of the dragons. I'll just have to change the team name to "Puff and the Magic Dragon" or something.

Last edited:

Caliber

Banned deucer.
Cool team bro. I'd like to suggest Hydreigon over Haxorus, which will give you a really strong Special Attacker which can cause mindgames with Mamoswine. Next up I'd run max Speed on Slurpuff because you can outspeed random retarded stuff like Choice Scarf Espeon with that. I'd also run 84 Speed on Mega Blastoise to outspeed base 85 Speed Pokemon like Cresselia, Gligar, and Suicune.

Here are two sets of Hydreigon, one will retain the role of breaker, the other can help you deal with the threats:

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 84 Atk / 172 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Iron Tail
- Superpower

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Hey warzoid, I really like this team man! I think its really solid and I am totally going to try it out. I love seeing some max speed Nidoqueen, that makes me happy. My main concern for this team is how weak you are to Cobalion and Beedrill. Other than that, maybe a more reliable Draco Switch-in could be beneficial.

My first suggestion is to change your Escavilear to an Assualt Vest variant. AV Esca is pretty damn good Draco Switch in and Pursuit Trapper. I thought this fit the team better so you can sponge Dracos and at the same time give your self an answer to Mega Beedrill with Pursuit which would do a shit load. You already have a plethora of setup sweepers so I don't think the loss of SD will be terrible. Almost forgot to mention, you will no long be setup fodder for Cobalion as you will be running Drill Run. Here is your set:

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Megahorn
- Drill Run
- Pursuit

My next suggestion is going for Lunar Dance Cress > Haxorous. This gives you a solid check to fighting types as well as Mamoswine. Both annoy your team greatly. You don't have a solid fighting resist since you are 0 HP Nido and a DD mence. Its not terrible though, since you have Slurpuff to setup on them. I just think this pokemon fits your team really well as you can spread Paralysis making it easier for your setup sweepers to setup as well as making it easier on Nidoqueen and Blastoise. Not to mention how so many of your pokemon would love being brought back to full HP with Lunar Dance. Here is your set:

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Moonlight
- Lunar Dance

My last suggestion would be to use Moxie > Intimidate on Salamence. I gave you a solid fighting resist and frankly, Lum DD Mence without moxie is kinda underwhelming in my opinion. Although if you really love Intimidate, I recommend you use a Life Orb to give you more power.

With these changes, I think the team will be that much better! If you really don't want to replace a Dragon because your building process revolved around Dragons, I am sorry. I do think these changes will overall make this team more effective in this current meta, though! Good luck and cool team!

Gonna suggest you run occa over lum on escav, because every dragon in the tier runs fire blast.

Yachee on a bulky DD mence because ohgodmamoswinenonotmyanus.

A faster mstoise spread to outrun adamant mamoswine would also help, a lot.

You can probably shave nido's speed into bulk. 252 isn't hitting much

(I see the double dragon but where's the skullmageddon????)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)