SS OU Double Ground Stall

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Double Ground Stall

:swsh/clefable::swsh/landorus-therian: :swsh/ferrothorn: :swsh/hippowdon: :swsh/mandibuzz: :swsh/slowking-galar:

Built this team in mind of trying to make a usable stall team in the current hyper offensive metagame, which i believe i accomplished to some success, here's a brief analysis on each mon.

:clefable: Clefable :clefable:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast

Clefable acts as our main check for the omnipresent Urshifu, with defense investment to avoid taking too much from it's dark and fighting coverage.
Initially ran Thunder over Heal Bell, but removing status from this team is extremely useful, especially for landorus-therian and mandibuzz, which want to spread status themselves without having to fear getting toxiced, it also heavily cripples Spectrier's sweeping ability, which usually relies on multiple pokemon being statused.
Is also a way to reliably set up rocks while being able to switch into hazards safely, sponge up status as well as being immune to sandstorm.

:landorus-therian: Landorus-T :landorus-therian:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Toxic
Landorus acts as a fairly reliable lead, but that's somewhat prone to getting chipped during the match, due to a lack of recovery.
Landorus is able to disrupt multiple mons with the combination of knock off and toxic, as well as threatening mons with earthquake and being able to pivot out.
It mainly acts as a check to offensive Landorus T's as well as Cinderace and Garchomp.

:ferrothorn: Ferrothorn :ferrothorn:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

Ferrothorn is another hazard setter, as well as being the team's water type check.
It's able to reliably come in and threaten Tapu Fini, which otherwise terrorises this team, as well as being able to disrupt with knock off and leech seed.
Being a physically defensive toxic immunity is also useful, since galarian slowking cannot fill that role.

:hippowdon: Hippowdon :hippowdon:
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind

Hippowdon is one of the main stars of the team, setting up sandstorm is extremely valuable for it's gradual chip damage as well as having access to rocks.
Whirlwind is great for stacking up hazards damage, and not allowing a defogger to come in, or even pick off a sweeper at low health, it also even takes care of setup sweepers which is a godsend for stall teams.
It is the main check for setup magearna, as well as dealing very well with substitute spectrier, forcing it to take a lot of damage with the combination of stealth rock, substitute damage and sandstorm denying lefties recovery, while being able to just phaze it away.
Hippowdon is also great since it counteracts rain teams halting progress for a lot of mons since they'll have trouble taking down the team without rain.

:mandibuzz: Mandibuzz :mandibuzz:
Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Toxic
- Foul Play
- Defog

Mandibuzz acts as the team's defogger, and holds boots to be immune to rocks as well as the ability to be immune to sand damage.
Toxic is so mandibuzz can be much more agressive, since pivoting isn't as big of a deal on this team, which is why u-turn is not present.
Mandibuzz acts as the team's choiced spectrier check, as well as still being able to roost in front of pokemon like cinderace, and threaten mons that can SD like garchomp and Landorus-T with a Foul Play.
It's also our main switchin into Rillaboom.

:slowking-galar: Galarian Slowking :slowking-galar:
Slowking-Galar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Future Sight
- Scald

Galarian Slowking acts as a phenomenal special wall that isn't affected by toxic, as well as being able to come in many times in one game.
Future sight allows it to put pressure on the opposing side to take a lot of chip damage when combined with hazards and sandstorm, as well as having the ability to spread status with sludge bomb and scald.
It acts as the team's main Specs Magearna check, being able to easily tank it's moves, and doesn't mind receiving a choice specs.

Importable:
https://pokepast.es/592c82f4d2adfc50

Threatlist

:bw/clefable:
Opposing clefable's are very hard to chip down, as slowking is generally the only way to pressure them, and the calm mind set is extremely problematic since it essentially forces me to fish for crits with slowking.

:bw/azumarill:
One Belly Drum, and it's pretty much over.

:tapu-lele:

Specs Tapu lele can become a problem to switch into, and essentially becoming a guessing game if it's either using moonblast, mystical fire or psyshock, and i have to guess accordingly, at the risk of losing a mon by switching in slowking, mandibuzz or ferrothorn.

I'm up for critisicm ans possible changes!​

This team does seems a bit weak to setup sweepers in particular, and you could probably do well with a unaware user. The choices are either swapping abilities on your clefable, which might work out since heal bell means you don't have to fear status that much. If that is scary because urshifu, the swapping one of the grounds with quagsire would be good. Lando would probably be the choice here since it just doesn't have the longevity for a stall team, and quag can do it's job of fending off opposing lando,cinder and garchomp. It can also probably take azumarill, and pp stall CM clef, since moonblast is 15 pp and thunder doesn't affect you

EDIT: also you got rocks two time on your team, maybe swap a move on clef for some status (twave for scary fast threats or toxic for stall mirror)

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
This team does seems a bit weak to setup sweepers in particular, and you could probably do well with a unaware user. The choices are either swapping abilities on your clefable, which might work out since heal bell means you don't have to fear status that much. If that is scary because urshifu, the swapping one of the grounds with quagsire would be good. Lando would probably be the choice here since it just doesn't have the longevity for a stall team, and quag can do it's job of fending off opposing lando,cinder and garchomp. It can also probably take azumarill, and pp stall CM clef, since moonblast is 15 pp and thunder doesn't affect you

EDIT: also you got rocks two time on your team, maybe swap a move on clef for some status (twave for scary fast threats or toxic for stall mirror)
Double rocks was mainly to be able to secure them even if there was a corviknight, but i can understand why it'd be an issue.

Quagsire also came to mind as a possible answer, but the biggest problem is it doesn't really help for the clefable matchup since moonblast has 24 pp, and 252 life orb is a 2hko.
I'm also hesitant to throw away landorus, since it's able to threaten things with knock off and tox in a way that ferrothorn can't really replicate. In my experiene, I haven't had too many problems with setup sweepers, Landorus is able to come in on most physical sweepers and usually ko them or cripple them to a point where they canot sweep, while hippowdon and slowking are fairly effective at taking out special attackers.

Double rocks was mainly to be able to secure them even if there was a corviknight, but i can understand why it'd be an issue.

Quagsire also came to mind as a possible answer, but the biggest problem is it doesn't really help for the clefable matchup since moonblast has 24 pp, and 252 life orb is a 2hko.
I'm also hesitant to throw away landorus, since it's able to threaten things with knock off and tox in a way that ferrothorn can't really replicate. In my experiene, I haven't had too many problems with setup sweepers, Landorus is able to come in on most physical sweepers and usually ko them or cripple them to a point where they canot sweep, while hippowdon and slowking are fairly effective at taking out special attackers.
hmm i was decently sure that cm clef still ran max defense, though i guess that might soon change for well known reasons, though you can still stall it out if you knock its orb beforehand, but you need to resign to only using quagsire for that in the game, and you will use all your recovers on it.

as far as double rocks go, trying to mess around with corviknight is mostly a sysiphean task wirh these kinds of builds, since neither hippo or clef are really good at stopping corvi from defogging with these sets. the best you can do is whirlwind it if its trying to switch into hippo with rocks already up, which can just give a free switch into a hippo check. all the while you are getting pressured down. in these cases i personally found out that using status to wear down other members of its team then saving it for last works better, and toxic does more progress than messing around with a corvi you cant realistically take out. if you can knock its lefties/and or burn it that should be enough pressure and going for more usualy isnt worth it.
also if you want to use lando t on such a slow team, maybe consider taking lefties and swapping uturn for protect to at least give it some staying power, as well as scouting non urshifu choicers(can help with the lele example if it is pivoted in on your lando) and racking up passive damage, since stall teams dont need uturn as bad as offensive teams, and this might enable you to bring lando out more times in the game

You definitely need something to stop CM Clefable and maybe your own Clefable might be a solution. You could either use Choice Scarf Trick to invalidate it (be extra careful with your own Knock Offs though), or use a spread of 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe to outspeed any Clefable and use Encore when they try to do anything dangerous. Thunder Wave on your Clefable also helps a LOT, because it makes Clef slower than Slowking. Eerie Spell on Slowking itself might also help against CM Clef because it's not going to do much damage to it anyway (especially if you knock its Life Orb) since it's so FAT and if you drain his PP you can definitely stall him out at the very least. Also having no Ice resist could prove to be problematic if Kyurem becomes prevalent again, especially the dedicated stall breaker SubRoost Icicle Spear Freeze Dry/Ice Beam set, while sorta Vanilluxe and especially Mamoswine just go brazy on this team pretty easily, although they are definitely not common.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
You definitely need something to stop CM Clefable and maybe your own Clefable might be a solution. You could either use Choice Scarf Trick to invalidate it (be extra careful with your own Knock Offs though), or use a spread of 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe to outspeed any Clefable and use Encore when they try to do anything dangerous. Thunder Wave on your Clefable also helps a LOT, because it makes Clef slower than Slowking. Eerie Spell on Slowking itself might also help against CM Clef because it's not going to do much damage to it anyway (especially if you knock its Life Orb) since it's so FAT and if you drain his PP you can definitely stall him out at the very least. Also having no Ice resist could prove to be problematic if Kyurem becomes prevalent again, especially the dedicated stall breaker SubRoost Icicle Spear Freeze Dry/Ice Beam set, while sorta Vanilluxe and especially Mamoswine just go brazy on this team pretty easily, although they are definitely not common.
I really like the encore idea, since it's actually a solution to that problem, making me able to get damage on it without allowing it to heal.
Ice types are definitely a threat and force me to play much more aggressively, mamoswine is tough, and i need to be able to get my ferrothorn in to ohko it with power whip.

I've faced a few kyurem and they're definitely a problem, slowking can sorta deal with it to an extent, but has issues with specs sets and residual damage.
The sub Roost one I've been able to be pretty fine with the combination of sludge bomb and future sight, getting a poison on kyurem essentially stops it from being able to do it's shenanigans.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)