Double Rainbow

Introduction

Well 4th Gen is basically over by now, but due to its continuing influence in major tournaments and my own preference for it, I’m not going to be quitting it any time soon. I build teams almost daily and have quite a collection, but I decided to post this one because it has some underrated sets and I’m rather fond of it. My last RMT was rather wordy, but I’ve been making my posts more concise as of late so this won’t be as long. The team is named for its colorful appearance and because viral references are always fun.

In-Depth

[box]

Cloyster (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Shell Armor
EVs: 220 HP / 104 Atk / 180 SAtk / 4 Spd
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Surf
- Ice Shard
- Explosion[/box]
Laugh all you want, but anyone who’s used this set can attest to its effectiveness. Cloyster plays like an offensive Forretress; it’s bulky enough to set up on the likes of Metagross, Swampert, and Hippowdon, and doesn’t do too badly versus Aerodactyl and Azelf leads either. Surf + Ice Shard with LO takes out the frailer leads, and I typically use Explosion for anything problematic. Cloyster has abysmal Special Defense though; I have to switch out against Heatran or any other moderately powerful special attacker, but thankfully I have the right support members to help Cloyster do its job.

[box]

Heatran (M) @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SAtk / 220 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Explosion[/box]
Heatran will find its place on nearly all my teams, of course. It’s the only bulky Fire-type in OU, and I need a solid switch-in to Scizor and Grass-types. Nothing fancy here - just a standard Shuca support set with max SAtk EVs for extra power. I opted for HP Grass > Earth Power because Swampert is more important to eliminate than opposing Heatran, but I sometimes swap it out for HP Electric to get the KO on RestTalk Gyarados on stall. Explosion is obviously helpful considering I run a lot of special attackers, but I tend to play conservatively with it against better players to avoid wasting Heatran.

[box]

Suicune @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric][/box]
Another standard, but one of the best. Suicune has Starmie’s type coverage, and although its slower, it makes up for it with Calm Mind and great bulky. Suicune is also my main switch-in to Gyarados, and a very good one at that. Hydro Pump is preferred over Surf for the extra power, and I haven’t regretted it despite the lower accuracy. Although this set is way overused, it can still be really effective, especially with some prediction. Suicune has the moves to hit every member of FWG cores hard, so I often play less predictably by alternating moves, using Ice Beam on initial switch-ins (hopefully Grass-types), etc. Overall, Suicune has proved its worth as a valuable bulky Water.

[box]

Shaymin @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Natural Cure
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Air Slash
[/box]
I wasn’t going to have enough space for some of the set I wanted unless I overlapped some roles; this is why Shaymin is both the Grass component of my FWG core and my revenge killer. It actually does a good job of taking out weakened Dragonite and Infernape, among other things. Air Slash is mostly filler, but it’s good for flinch trolling and hitting Fighting-types harder. Natural Cure is of course helpful for a revenge killer, as I don’t have to worry about paralysis and other annoying status ailments. Shaymin doesn’t have the late-game potential of something like Scarf Flygon, but it performs quite well nonetheless.

[box]

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
- Substitute
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast[/box]
Although SubSplit Gengar tends to be most peoples’ preferred choice, I like to use this set, especially with entry hazards. The loss of Life Orb isn’t too bad when I have Spikes down, and Hypnosis catches a lot of switch-ins off guard, opening up more opportunities for Gengar to sweep or set up. Of course I could just use some Rotom forme in this slot, but I tend to avoid them usually (wifi habit). Either way, Gengar makes for a good offensive spinblocker, although I need to double switch to Shaymin against faster spinners like LO Starmie. Leftovers for the extra recovery, although Black Sludge is cool too and sounds way more badass.

[box]

Tyranitar (M) @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch[/box]
Beast set. I admit I was quite skeptical when I saw this set in a past Smog issue, but it has actually turned out to be pretty effective, especially with entry hazard support. Tyrantiar is better than ever with Heatran usage skyrocketing, so it gets a lot of opportunities to set up. Shuca + Ice Punch is what helps me out against Scarf Flygon, which is what most players depend on to check Tyranitar. After getting past Flygon, I usually can sweep through weakened teams with entry hazards. QuakeEdge is great for coverage, and Stone Edge hits pretty much everything that Crunch does, so I don’t feel like I’m missing any important moves.

Conclusion

Rate / Comment / Subscribe ^^ Also, stall + Toxic Spikes is basically gg for this team so some help on that would be nice.

Hey Faladran, this looks like a solid build, and having used Shuca Tyranitar in the past I can attest to its effectiveness in the metagame. I don't have too much to suggest, just going to try and help you a bit against Stall, since as you mentioned, it's annoying.

I think you could try out a HeaTrap set on Heatran. The reason why I'm suggesting this is so you can lure in, trap, and KO Blissey on common Stall teams. Since classic Stall teams usually carry a core of Forretress + Rotom-A + Blissey, removing Blissey will make it easier for Suicune to bring down the opposing Stall team, with its main counter removed. Try 128 HP / 216 SpA / 164 Spe on Heatran with Magma Storm over Fire Blast and a Modest nature. Also to alleviate your problems against Toxic Spikes + Stall, you could try out a Rapid Spin Forretress over Cloyster with 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef with an Impish nature and Toxic Spikes / Rapid Spin / Payback / Explosion or Spikes (or even move Stealth Rock from Heatran to Forretress, and give Heatran Dragon Pulse). Heatran trapping and getting rid off Blissey and Forretress spinning away the Toxic Spikes will aid you against these types of Stall teams, since Blissey and Toxic Spikes removed gives Suicune the chance to run through the opposing team

Sorry if all that sounded complicated, I was in a rush.

Again, solid team man, and good luck! :)

Excellent team Faladran.

It's hard to find some big threats so I will only have some small suggestions.

SD Bullet Punch Lucario and Machamp can pose a slight problem but I'm sure you can play around it though.

I would like to suggest Lum Berry and Crunch on Tyranitar (over Stone Edge). In my experience Tyranitar likes the Lum Berry so it can set up much easier (Will-o-wisp Rotom, Toxic Zapdos, Spore Breloom, ..., not mention the badly timed paralysis from switching into Thunderbolt from Rotom or Starmie or some other random hax). And just as Shucka Berry it allows you to fake a Choice item early in the game. You just make sure you'll get in 2 DD's and you'll outspeed Flygon.
The reason I suggest Crunch over Stone Edge is Crunch is more reliable in PP and Accuracy. Ice Punch hits most things Stone Edge does anyway.

On Heatran I suggest Magma Storm instead of Fire Blast. This allows you to lure in Blissey and kill it with Explosion which gives Suicune (and to a lesser extend Shaymin) an better chance of getting a sweep going.

Roserade leads, and Toxic Spikes in particular might cause you some problem so perhaps you could use Rapid Spin on Cloyster.

I was also going to suggest Rest (instead of Air Slash) on Shaymin andThunderbolt / Pain Split (instead of Hypnosis) on Gengar but you explained good enough why you opted for those moves.

Hope these suggestion helped and good luck with your team!

I can see cloyster working as a lead, but it doesn't seem the right lead for your team. I also noticed ground and dragon moves giving some trouble. Forretress (rapid spin), Lead Machamp, Agility Metagross and water types give your team trouble aswell.

I have been suggesting this too much recently, but you should try skarmory out over cloyster, they essentially fill the same role except skarmory has a more useful typing for your team.

Other than that, solid team and the skarmory set would be:

Skarmory @ Lum berry
252 hp/240 sp.def/16 speed
Impish/careful
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
- Roost/Whirlwind
- Spikes

With skarmory, you could also try a pasho heatran if those water types continue to be pesky. Taunt also helps out vs stall teams, giving you the advanatage from the first turn.

Oh the only reason I say water types are pesky is because seed flare misses too much.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
FALADRAN :D
hi, loving the team, timid suicune and offensive shaymin are your trademarks x)

I know this might sound strange, but have you considered Specially Defensive Drapion over Cloyster? With 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD EVs and a Careful nature, it takes only 28.2% - 33.4% from Life Orb Starmie's Thunderbolt and Ice Beam (who could otherwise provide problems for this team). It can utilize Taunt to help break stall, which you mentioned was a problem. Toxic Spikes are no longer a problem. Drapion even lays down Toxic Spikes, which helps a lot against Chansey, Snorlax, and other things that give Shaymin a tough time. Above all, it is still purple :)

Another option is to use Rest over Air Slash on Shaymin. Just Rest and switch out, and Shaymin basically has another life. I also agree that Ice Punch and Stone Edge are a little bit redundant, and Crunch seems like the superior option over Stone Edge Miss.

Nice team :D Hopefully we can battle sometime.

Strong team, especially with DDtar getting free setup against at least 3/4 of the teams these days. However there are a few annoying things that can make it difficult, like Gengar, Starmie, and stuff with alot of special defensive like Blissey, Togekiss, Tyranitar, Vaporeon, ect. Alot of times I've found smart Starmie users will switch out against full health Shaymin, making it really difficult to take down and switch in on.

To fix some of this I would just make Heatran calm with max special defense, keeping explosion and the same moveset, with passho. I did this on my team and it makes it so much easier to deal with all these special attacking foes. Starmie tries to switch in and you just KO it. Gengar can't KO you. Togekiss can't 2HKO you. Jolteon can't 2HKO with specs. It even checks offensive Suicune. Calm + explosion still works for the most part, KOing Gyarados after stealth rock, and KOing most stuff after fire blast damage, but you can customize that, or just hp electric for gyarados.

I'd also run crunch over ice punch. You still beat Flygon with crunch, and you still 2HKO Gliscor with stone edge. It lets you beat Swampert 1 v 1 and have a better go against Rotom (although it is wifi I guess). Running a LO gar with focus punch or explosion can also help against stall but again that's custom. That's that, have fun.

edit: If Tyranitar is a pain, you could just use gyro ball/explosion Forry over Cloyster, it essentially accomplishes the same things and gives rapid spin to deal with t-spikes teams.

Yea you are going to have an absolutely huge problem with Choice Band Tyranitar. It does over 65% to every single one of your Pokemon with Stone Edge. In fact, any Tyranitar is going to cause you big problems. Nothing on your team can even OHKO 252 HP Tyranitar after Stealth Rock, so if it forces something out and KOes it, you are potentially losing another Pokemon to it.

Chesto Rest Kingdra is also another huge threat and you really lack any way to deal with it comfortably [outside of Cloyster's Explosion], especially considering it gets free set-up against a couple of your Pokemon.

Bullet Punch Lucario is not much of a threat, as most of them favour Adamant to do as much damage to Scarf Tyranitar as possible allowing you to outrun them with Suicune. It is highly likely your opponent will not partner Bullet Punch with Extremespeed so you are fine in that regard.

I have only used Cloyster as a lead with Lum Berry and Payback. Payback + Ice Shard will still deal with standard Azelf leads. It also means you can use Spikes vs. Machamp leads then Explode. Most Roserade with use Sleep Powder, so with Lum Berry and Ice Shard, they are handily beaten.

You are also going to have issues with opposing Shaymin, especially ones with Leech Seed and Earth Power, as well as have some problems with Pokemon like Vaporeon, as a Scarf Shaymin is not that reliable. However, these issues aren't as huge as the one you have with Tyranitar.

As far as quick fixes go, I think something like Choice Scarf Lucario > Shaymin and Milotic > Suicune could work. I believe that this fire/water/grass mentality is really unhealthy. Lucario makes a fairly decent switch-in to Tyranitar, revenge kills better than Shaymin in most cases, outside of Mach Punch Infernape, and has an excellent ability to clean up with hazards end-game. Without Shaymin, Milotic would be able to take on opposing bulky-waters with Haze and Toxic. With Haze, Milotic also forces Kingdra into Outrage allowing you to beat it.

I know these suggestions weren't the best...

Honestly, its a cool team, but there are a few issues that you need to iron out. Good luck.

Yea you are going to have an absolutely huge problem with Choice Band Tyranitar. It does over 65% to every single one of your Pokemon with Stone Edge. In fact, any Tyranitar is going to cause you big problems. Nothing on your team can even OHKO 252 HP Tyranitar after Stealth Rock, so if it forces something out and KOes it, you are potentially losing another Pokemon to it.

Chesto Rest Kingdra is also another huge threat and you really lack any way to deal with it comfortably [outside of Cloyster's Explosion], especially considering it gets free set-up against a couple of your Pokemon.

Bullet Punch Lucario is not much of a threat, as most of them favour Adamant to do as much damage to Scarf Tyranitar as possible allowing you to outrun them with Suicune. It is highly likely your opponent will not partner Bullet Punch with Extremespeed so you are fine in that regard.

I have only used Cloyster as a lead with Lum Berry and Payback. Payback + Ice Shard will still deal with standard Azelf leads. It also means you can use Spikes vs. Machamp leads then Explode. Most Roserade with use Sleep Powder, so with Lum Berry and Ice Shard, they are handily beaten.

You are also going to have issues with opposing Shaymin, especially ones with Leech Seed and Earth Power, as well as have some problems with Pokemon like Vaporeon, as a Scarf Shaymin is not that reliable. However, these issues aren't as huge as the one you have with Tyranitar.

As far as quick fixes go, I think something like Choice Scarf Lucario > Shaymin and Milotic > Suicune could work. I believe that this fire/water/grass mentality is really unhealthy. Lucario makes a fairly decent switch-in to Tyranitar, revenge kills better than Shaymin in most cases, outside of Mach Punch Infernape, and has an excellent ability to clean up with hazards end-game. Without Shaymin, Milotic would be able to take on opposing bulky-waters with Haze and Toxic. With Haze, Milotic also forces Kingdra into Outrage allowing you to beat it.

I know these suggestions weren't the best...

Honestly, its a cool team, but there are a few issues that you need to iron out. Good luck.
A speedy Skarmory somewhat helps against the threats you mentioned, 'jus sayin'.

A speedy Skarmory somewhat helps against the threats you mentioned, 'jus sayin'.
Not really, I would not switch my Skarmory into a Addy Lucario, or CB Tar as you still take 61.1% - 72.5% from Stone Edge and going into a Shaymin or Vaporeon with Skarmory is very risky unless you know there set. Great team although nothing resists rock so I second all of Heists suggestions.

I will admit this is probably the least solid of my current teams, so I'll try some of Heist's stuff. The problem with Milotic is I can only have either HP Electric for Taunt Gyara or Haze for bulky Waters, but not both. I could probably change some other things around to compensate, but it's going to take some testing. Thanks though!

aaaaahhh Faladran posted a rmt, I hadnt been lurking in 4th gen teams so I didn't see this! I've never seen or even heard of a Cloyster lead (or OU cloyster) but it looks rather entertaining so I trust you know what you're doing. I am also a fan of that Tyranitar set and it is on one of my main teams so good show!

Anyways onto the boring part... I haven't actually rated a 4th gen team in a while so bear with me. It sees to me that SD Lucario really poops on you, especially with Bullet punch (or with scarftar support). It can set up a SD on Shaymin or Tyranitar and then proceed to really mess you up- I won't bother with calcs but it seems that Shaymin is your only hope, if it isn't OHKO'd by Extremespeed. Stall teams, as you have noted, are particularly annoying, and standard stall cores will really tear you up- I'm noticing a trend between you and focusing so much on offensive threats that you forget these!

Anyways this team seems to be all about creativity so i'm going to be creative and suggest for you a set thats pretty cool and effective, it's called LO Rotom!
@ Life Orb
12 HP / 252 SpAtk / 240 Spe
Timid
-Substitute
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Pain Split

Pretty amazin' set if I may say so, I played Lord Liam with a stall team and a slightly different versio of this basically won it for him. Of course my team didn't have Blissey but it does pretty okay against Blissey too thanks to pain Split- Pain Splitting on the switch is actually pretty cool. This plays pretty similarly to the Gengar set but with bulk and purpose, easily overcoming unsuspecting opponents. It covers your Lucario problem (except now you have to worry about jolly but thank god nobody runs that, you've seen my warstory) as well as your stall problem and, with entry hazards, this set is excruciatingly annoying. It can still handle Tyranitar pretty efficiently which is a relief, given the troubles he causes you.

Can't end a rate without "I hope this helps!"

PS: I can just look at this and tell it's a Faladran team, you have Shaymin and ShucaTran and of course a suicune because god forbid if you have a 4th gen team without fwg!!!
PPS: My band's name is the Double Rainbows, good show.
PPPS: How did you post a RMT in the middle of a school day??

I feel like I have to comment this on practically every team.
The team is brilliant, All around and has good coverage, but there is a single move that will devastate more than half your team. ATTRACT!!!!

i agree my sexiness makes me very vulnerable to attract

@Smith I lurk on Smogon during school lol - and thanks for the suggestions!

Not really, I would not switch my Skarmory into a Addy Lucario, or CB Tar as you still take 61.1% - 72.5% from Stone Edge and going into a Shaymin or Vaporeon with Skarmory is very risky unless you know there set. Great team although nothing resists rock so I second all of Heists suggestions.
what is this I don't even ...

Lucario is not a problem, Suicune and Gengar cover every single SD lucario set out there and Shaymin can revenge kill any SD lucario anyway.

Skarmory switches into CB tar, then Skarmory roost (speedy was specified for a reason). Tar is locked into stone edge, roost removes the flying type,thus Skarmory somewhat helps against CB tar.

Skarmory can revenge kill a chesto rest kingdra, especially if shaymin has forced it to outrage (shaymin shud be the intial switch in).

Skarmory beats lead machamp

Skarmory beats shaymin

These are the 4 threats heist mentioned, skarmory helps against them. Cloysters typing is also somewhat useless for this team. Skarmory helps against stall. The only reason not to use skarmory is because it's not offensive enough for the team. In which case milotic is not a good option either.

Also:

Lead forretress would be a pain, but skarm can taunt it

Lead roserade would be a pain, but skarm can taunt it

both set up toxic spikes/spikes which rape this team

EQ in general is a pain

Flygon is a pain

Bassically, imo for this team, Skarmory > Cloyster

Sup Fal,

I remember playing this team once, and Heist is right - my CB Tyranitar gave you a ton of trouble, and is pretty much the reason I won. What is really scary for this team is a combination of Trick Room Bronzong+CB Tar, which has been rising in popularity lately. Zong gets a TR up on a switch from Shaymin locked into a move, either EQs Heatran and dies to FB or Explodes on Suicune, then Ttar can go wild spamming Stone Edge.

To fix this, I'd recommend going with George's Skarm over your current Cloyster. If Trick Room isn't up, you switch in and take alot from Stone Edge, but you live, and can proceed to PP stall the remaining 7 hits it has, removing your flying type so the subsequent Stone Edges will be resisted. If Trick Room is up, you do the same thing except you have to sacrifice something first before you switch Skarm in and proceed to Roost spam. This Skarm also stops early-game Toxic Spikes setup from the likes of Roserade and Forretress.

Now, I know you like your Gengar as your spinblock, but honestly it's not a very good spinblocker. Starmie destroys it with Hydro Pump, Forretress smashes it with Payback, even Tentacruel can beat it down with a couple of Surfs. The truth is that Rotom-A is superior to it in this regard. In particular, I think a bulky Scarf set would help.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Spe / 40 SAtk
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
Trait: Levitate
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hydro Pump
- Trick

Standard stuff. Max HP lets you tank things such as Forretress's Payback, so you can then pivot into Heatran, and LO Starmie's Hydro Pump. 216 Spe outruns +1 Jolly Gyara with a Scarf, so you have a backup check in case Suicune falls.

Two scarfers is redundant, and by running Scarf Rotom, you can run LO Shaymin over your current Scarf set. Along with Suicune, this will really put alot of pressure on offensive teams with the constant barrage of powerful special attacks. The main reason I am suggesting this, however, is because I'd like to recommend Magma Storm over Fire Blast on Heatran - this will lure in Blissey, so you can trap and KO it, proceeding to cut through stall like a knife with Suicune and Shaymin. I'd also recommend HP Electric over Grass, just to get the KO on Gyarados in case you lure that out first, so you don't waste your Explosion on it.

Sorry for changing the team up so much, but I hope I helped, gl!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)