SV OU Double Regen Stall - Peaked #1, 2061, 86.7% GXE

TABLE OF CONTENTS:
1. Introduction
2. Proof of Peak
3. Team + Description
4. Threat List
5. Replays

1. Introduction

Hello! I played a lot of stall in gen 7, reaching rank 1 on the Ubers ladder with another team I made. Seeing the stall potential of terastallization (and less pokemon using ice beam) I decided to try to peak in this gen. I started by using Highvoltage's stall team in the sample thread, but felt that trying to keep hazards up was not a very effective playstyle for stall, so I made my own team more with the mindset of "not losing" as opposed to achieving a win condition. I felt removing hazards consistently was too difficult this generation, so I elected to create a team that can essentially ignore them completely with 6 heavy-duty boots. The issue with this is that knock off and to some extent trick will make you weak to hazards again, but using a regenerator pokemon (:Alomomola:) as your knock off absorber alleviates this issue as you can regen damage taken from hazards. I was still having issues getting pressured by things like choice band :Great Tusk: and having a tricky matchup vs :Meowscarada:, but putting tera flying on :Alomomola: to prevent it from taking spikes damage and giving it an extremely good matchup against every common knock off user catapulted this team to being incredibly difficult to defeat (I didn't implement this until recently).

2. Proof of Peak

rank.jpg

After being stuck at 1900-2000 for a while, adding tera flying to :alomomola: brought me to rank 1 without losing a single game!

3. Team + Description

Tera Flying Double Regen Stall (pokepast.es)

The goal of this team is the same as any other stall team - to have a check to every threat on the opponents team. With the advent of terastallization, the small pool of pokemon currently available, and the powerful new unaware users in :clodsire: and :Dondozo:, it is not too difficult to check the vast majority of meta threats. The entire game revolves around hazards, and this team has 6 boots, so for this team the game revolves around knock off and trick instead. Use :alomomola: to tank all knock offs :great tusk: :meowscarada: :iron treads:, and if the opponent is able to setup spikes that you cannot defog, tera flying on :alomomola: allows you to survive this (though this is not always optimal, as some pokemon can only be beaten through other teras, such as choice band tera dark :chien-pao:). Against trick pokemon :gholdengo: :rotom-wash: :iron valiant:, it is very important to identify them, determine which of your own pokemon you won't need to win the battle, and sacrifice them to trick. Manage these things properly, and the team is capable of checking nearly every pokemon in the metagame. Your only tools for forcing game progress are :blissey:'s stealth rocks, toxic, will-o-wisp/flame body, whirlpool/infestation, and the fantastic pp stalling capability of having 2 regen pokemon, so games will always be very long.

I will now explain each pokemon's general role on this team:

alomomola.jpg

The star of the team, :alomomola: makes stall possible in this gen. Its incredible physical bulk and tera allow it to easily check every knock off user through every hazard bar :pelipper: and :iron valiant:, which rarely run knock off anyways. Whirlpool allows you to do decent damage to any switch, check movesets with protect, and trap :great tusk: in the case of your opponent misplaying. Chilling water checks dragon dance/bulk up sweepers like :dragonite:, :roaring moon:, and some :great tusk:. Wish is an incredible healing move thanks to its retention of 16 pp, which allows :alomomola: to survive nearly indefinitely, heal its teammates, and check future sight :slowking:.

Meta threats checked or partly-checked by :alomomola: : :great tusk: :iron treads: :meowscarada: :chien-pao: :dragonite: :garganacl: :kingambit: :dondozo: :corviknight: :roaring moon: :garchomp: :ceruledge: :cinderace: :barraskewda: :slowking: :tyranitar: :lokix:

toxapex.jpg

The main wall of the team, :toxapex: plays a very versatile role in checking a variety of pokemon, having good physical and special bulk. Its tera is essential for beating tera dark choice band :chien-pao: as well as helping to check :garchomp:, :dragonite:, :dragapult:, and :rotom-wash: among others. Toxic gives you a win condition against any toxic-prone pokemon. Recover allows you to stay healthy throughout the battle. Infestation allows you to do decent damage to any switch and force the opponent to use pp. Haze lets you check set-up sweepers in a pinch in addition to having 48 pp. Toxic immunity is also important against opposing :toxapex:, :clodsire:, and :amoonguss:. :toxapex: fills a wide variety of roles and is definitely the most difficult to use and one of the most important pokemon on the team.

Meta threats checked or partly-checked by :toxapex: : :iron valiant: :chien-pao: :dragonite: :dragapult: :garganacl: :rotom-wash: :kingambit: :dondozo: :corviknight: :roaring moon: :garchomp: :amoonguss: :toxapex: :volcarona: :clodsire: :ceruledge: :azumarill: :torkoal: :pelipper: :skeledirge: :quaquaval: :iron hands: :cinderace: :slither wing: :floatzel: :lokix:

clod.jpg

Unaware special wall. :clodsire: is the teams check to special boosting pokemon such as :hatterene:, :gholdengo:, and :espathra:, tera steel often being needed against the first 2. Toxic immunity is also good, and its typing allows it to take salt cures. Haze is the most controversial move in this set, but it allows you to check stored power pokemon and not have to run calm mind on blissey (avoiding the chance to instantly lose to a crit). This is run over spikes as I realized spikes is superfluous to causing game progress, as stealth rocks on blissey is enough, and it doesn't matter how quickly you end the game as the goal of this team is for it to check every opposing pokemon on their own. Recover allows you to stay healthy over the course of the game. Toxic gives you a win condition against any toxic-prone pokemon. Earthquake is an important coverage move, forcing :gholdengo: to tera and allowing you to beat :iron moth:.

Meta threats checked or partly-checked by :clodsire: : :gholdengo: :iron valiant: :garganacl: :glimmora: :hatterene: :espathra: :amoonguss: :volcarona: :skeledirge: :iron moth: :magnezone: :kilowattrel: :armarouge:

blissey.jpg

Main special wall of the team. :blissey: blanket checks most special attacking pokemon, though there aren't that many that don't boost themselves, so it is often used in tandem with :clodsire: to haze boosts then attack with Seismic Toss. Tera fairy is not often used, but is sometimes needed to check substitute mixed sets of :dragapult: (your other option being to pp stall it with regenerator, but than can be too close). Stealth rocks is used to cause game progress and force :great tusk: to rapid spin, giving :alomomola: a turn to wish. Seismic Toss is your main damage move, allowing you to do damage to most pokemon, primarily tera :gholdengo: :rotom-wash: and non psyshock :hatterene:. Shadow ball allows you to hit :gholdengo: and :dragapult:, though this might be better replaced with calm mind as extra insurance against setup sweepers, as :clodsire:'s earthquake can already hit :gholdengo:. Soft-Boiled allows :blissey: to stay healthy throughout the game. :blissey:'s ev's cause it to take extra damage from :dragapult:'s u-turn, so you shouldn't switch it into that once :dragapult:'s set is determined and the ev's are important for every other situation.

Meta threats checked or partly-checked by :blissey: : :gholdengo: :dragapult: :rotom-wash: :glimmora: :hatterene: :espathra: :amoonguss: :toxapex: :volcarona: :pelipper: :skeledirge: :iron moth: :magnezone: :talonflame: :kilowattrel: :sandy shocks: :armarouge:

dondozo.jpg

Unaware physical wall. :dondozo: is the least used pokemon on the team, but is needed against swords dance :chien-pao: and some sets of :roaring moon:, helpful against :kingambit:, can pp stall psyshock sets of :hatterene:, and is good against :baxcalibur:. Having a pokemon that is not entirely needed is important in its own right though, as :dondozo: is a great candidate for tanking trick and spore. Against :gholdengo: I almost always switch in :dondozo: first to take a potential trick. Tera fairy is rarely used, but can be good against the rare :baxcalibur:, :iron hands:, and :chien-pao: if you misplayed with :toxapex:. Heavy Slam is much better than liquidation (which isn't needed for anything) as it allows you to force :hatterene: to tera and check belly drum :azumarill: in the event that :toxapex: isn't 100% hp. Body Press hits :chien-pao:, :kingambit: and :baxcalibur:. Rest is :dondozo:'s only form of recovery and also allows it to tank status. Sleep Talk allows :dondozo: to not be completely useless while resting, which sometimes matters but fortunately doesn't need to be relied upon often.

Meta threats checked or party-checked by :dondozo: : :chien-pao: :dragonite: :kingambit: :hatterene: :roaring moon: :amoonguss: :toxapex: :clodsire: :ceruledge: :azumarill: :quaquaval:

talonflame.jpg

Defog user and physical sweeper check. :talonflame: is a very flexible pokemon that is mainly used for Flame Body. Being able to burn on contact is incredibly powerful for dealing with sweepers and giving win conditions. u-turns from :dragapult: :lokix: :corviknight: :scizor: :slither wing: and :cinderace: can all be switched into for a chance to burn. :Talonflame: is required to check :breloom: and is also the preferred switch in for :kingambit:, as it can reliably burn it on contact with Kowtow Cleave, and will-o-wisp against swords dance. :ting-lu: also cannot hit :talonflame: with anything apart from Ruination, allowing you to burn it and permanently defog/flamethrower against it and a potential :gholdengo: defog blocking attempt. The speed ev's allow it to outspeed :garchomp: so you can act in the case of tanking a Draco Meteor. :talonflame: is also often a good candidate for taking a trick. I've never used tera on it, but tera ghost allows you to burn :maushold: in theory, a pokemon which this team would struggle with otherwise. Defog is not necessarily needed on this team, but it can still be useful in the case something does not go as planned. Will-o-Wisp allows you to burn toxic-immune and physical sweepers. Flamethrower can kill :gholdengo: and :breloom:. Roost allows you to stay healthy throughout the game.

Meta threats checked or party-checked by :talonflame: : :breloom: :ting-lu: :dragapult: :lokix: :corviknight: :scizor: :cinderace: :roaring moon: :garchomp: :iron hands: :slither wing: :orthworm:

4. Threat List

garganacl.jpg

I've actually never encountered this set but it would beat this team (especially without tera ghost on :alomomola:. The only time I faced Block :garganacl: it wasn't running leftovers so I could PP stall the recovers. Your best bet is predicting it with :clodsire: and using earthquake. If this set became more popular I would switch :clodsire: on :garganacl: by default, but probably still lose.

iron hands.jpg

Physical electric types are very powerful against my team, seeing as every physical wall it weak to electric without tera. This makes :iron hands: a rare but powerful threat. You need to burn it with :talonflame: or toxic stall it with :toxapex: but the Lum Berry sets make this difficult. :pawmot: can also be problematic for this team, but tera fairy on :toxapex: is usually enough to deal with these threats.

iron valiant.jpg

Uncommon knock off users are also powerful against this team in conjunction with spikes, as :alomomola: might not be able to absorb every knock off. :iron valiant: is one of those knock off users, rarely carrying it but being very difficult to defeat when it does. If they do not also have spikes on their team, :toxapex: might be able to beat it. :pelipper: is the other knock off user that can pose a threat, but it carries it so rarely that it is not really worth mentioning.

5. Replays

I don't have many replays, especially with this final version of the team, but here are a few I have:

Tera Flying Alomomola defeating spikes: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1777462406

Defeating Tera Flying Gholdengo: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1779360599-s0uj94fbcg69t08jlx4zq9mmjp1ubdspw

Old replay PP Stalling: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1771201280-kibtlrls5u96n8b8k3k3eh2b99pxaezpw

1000 turn tie vs stall (not played well but interesting)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1768673664-lw6pt2e27ykdrqbrqvxuwlwiyfxyed2pw

-------------------------------------------------------

Please let me know any questions/suggestions you have. Thank you and I hope you enjoy the team! I believe this is a very close to optimal version of stall in the current meta.

Stall community discord:
https://discord.gg/W5a7nye72v

Last edited:

1LDK

It's never going to get better
is a Top Team Rater
Madlad really made a team with 6 boots, but it seems it works too well, congrats man, i do have 1 question tho, I understand that since you have Haze + Unaware is a way to not only wall the sweepers for yourself, but for the team, but do you see a use for Water Absorb Clod? since both him and pex have haze and that would let you have surprise hits against rain

EDIT: also insane good work on the RMT writing, you can see and feel the work that was put behind this

Last edited:
Madlad really made a team with 6 boots, but it seems it works too well, congrats man, i do have 1 question tho, I understand that since you have Haze + Unaware is a way to not only wall the sweepers for yourself, but for the team, but do you see a use for Water Absorb Clod? since both him and pex have haze and that would let you have surprise hits against rain
unaware on clodsire undoubtedly holds this team together. blissey not having access to toxic means special attacking setup sweepers can take advantage of blissey's passivity. and while haze and water absorb does sound decent on paper, it simply forces clodsire to spam haze and recover in front of strong special attackers, rather than using toxic and earthquake to widdle down threats. also, haze on toxapex is great for this team and somewhat eases up clodsire's role, but toxapex's special bulk is fairly limited in this metagame when not running max sp.def.

i also don't want to speak entirely for juliusfunnel, so i'll let them answer as well!

EDIT: also insane good work on the RMT writing, you can see and feel the work that was put behind this
What xyeu said is exactly right, unaware is essential for those matchups, and water absorb isn't needed for anything. The team has a lot of water resist as it is.

Hey congrats bud,i hated facing this 6 boots stall on ladder whenever facing u xD
some changes i think which could rlly be beneficial to u is changing tera on clod to normal and making blissey tera dark cm,ye u risk losing to crit against espathra but i think its worth it cuz tera normal lets it beat tera fly gholdengo just nping to +6and shadow ball spamming for drops which i did against u too which could be a extremely big threat and tera normal stops that completely

Hey congrats bud,i hated facing this 6 boots stall on ladder whenever facing u xD
some changes i think which could rlly be beneficial to u is changing tera on clod to normal and making blissey tera dark cm,ye u risk losing to crit against espathra but i think its worth it cuz tera normal lets it beat tera fly gholdengo just nping to +6and shadow ball spamming for drops which i did against u too which could be a extremely big threat and tera normal stops that completely
Thank you! I was using that for a while, in which case calm mind blissey also walls tera flying gholdengo, but this performs ok against tera flying gholdengo so far in my experience. If you force gholdengo to tera flying it makes the rest of their team easier to manage as well, I wouldn't want to have to use tera on clod to deal with it. Calm mind might be better than shadow ball on blissey for this reason as well, but I will need to play more to know for certain. Always fun playing against you!

This blissey can wall most special sweepers, set up calm mind and still deal with the trickers out there. The only downside is the lack of stealth rock on this set.
E9768B1B-1D01-4446-AF7F-30C37E779F6C.jpeg

i may just be a bot but i use band chien pao with adamant and i calced every mon one this team and chien pao 2hkos the entire team with tera dark and also how long did that 1000 turn game last for :pika:
calcs:
252+ Atk Choice Band Sword of Ruin Tera Dark Chien-Pao Crunch vs. 252 HP / 204 Def Talonflame: 374-440 (103.8 - 122.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Sword of Ruin Tera Dark Chien-Pao Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 238-280 (47.2 - 55.5%) -- 75.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Sword of Ruin Tera Dark Chien-Pao Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 740-872 (103.6 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Sword of Ruin Tera Dark Chien-Pao Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 302-356 (56.5 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Sword of Ruin Tera Dark Chien-Pao Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 192-228 (63.1 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Sword of Ruin Tera Dark Chien-Pao Crunch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Clodsire: 542-638 (117 - 137.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
so im surprised u havent ran into that chien pao set yet it would prob destroy your team unless deployed by a bad player or u just play perfectly
Tera Fairy Dondozo walls it, so does tera Fairy Toxapex (more or less).

He made it to #1 on the ladder so I'm going to assume in practice he handles band Chien Pao just fine.

I tried this team out on ladder…it’s so incredibly good! I actually did not complete a single match, as every opponent I had forfeited, which is sad, but at least it mean you know how good the team is!
Glad to hear that! If people don't forfeit the games easily last 300+ turns lol. Enjoy the team!

Great team, just wondering how you play around spore breloom. Do you let tox get slept or just hard talon and let it get chipped? I'm sure terastillising dozo makes the mu easier, but it still has to deal with switching in.

Great team, just wondering how you play around spore breloom. Do you let tox get slept or just hard talon and let it get chipped? I'm sure terastillising dozo makes the mu easier, but it still has to deal with switching in.
You have to sacrifice something to spore, you can try letting dondozo get slept if you don't need it but if the enemy is smart they will play around it. It's definitely one of the more difficult pokemon to play against. If they don't fall for that you need to let tox get slept usually, though it can tank 2 bullet seeds vs non banded sets so if talon gets slept you can still poison non sub breloom sets.

Reactions: RTM
Hello! I had a lot of fun using this team, I’m a returning player and I used to play stall a lot back in ORAS when it was at its peak. I have a couple of questions tho:

1. Why blissey over eviolite chansey? Is heavy duty boots really that great?

2. I have seen another stall team by High_V0ltage, which you mentioned, and I was wondering what these different types of teams do, and if there are any other different types of stall?

Thanks in advance!

Hey, Im Highv0ltag3, Blissey is better than chansey this gen because hazards are really hard to remove since Gholdengo's ability Blocks Defog, It is the key trait of the metagame. Also, comparing my team to Julius's, you can see mine has 5 Boots + Corviknight and Julius has 6. Boots are neccesary on every mon because stall Can not reliably keep hazards off the field.
The main problem with this strategy is knock off which removes boots. On my team Corviknight is the Knock Off Absorber since it matches up well against knock off users and is immune to spikes while being neutral to Stealth Rock. On julius's team, when you have a spikestack + Gholdengo + Knock off user match-up you will have to commit to Tera Flying Alomomola which makes it immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes while making it resist the Stabs of the 2 main Knock off users , Great Tusk and Meowscarada.

If you have more questions about our teams feel free to join our community, the link is at the end of the original post!

Hey, Im Highv0ltag3, Blissey is better than chansey this gen because hazards are really hard to remove since Gholdengo's ability Blocks Defog, It is the key trait of the metagame. Also, comparing my team to Julius's, you can see mine has 5 Boots + Corviknight and Julius has 6. Boots are neccesary on every mon because stall Can not reliably keep hazards off the field.
The main problem with this strategy is knock off which removes boots. On my team Corviknight is the Knock Off Absorber since it matches up well against knock off users and is immune to spikes while being neutral to Stealth Rock. On julius's team, when you have a spikestack + Gholdengo + Knock off user match-up you will have to commit to Tera Flying Alomomola which makes it immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes while making it resist the Stabs of the 2 main Knock off users , Great Tusk and Meowscarada.

If you have more questions about our teams feel free to join our community, the link is at the end of the original post!
Thanks so much! Although the link seems to have expired, lol

Congrats on the peak! I'm a little mad that now stall will be a bit more popular... but who cares? Also, I can confirm that the discord link seems to be expired.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)