DOU Doubles Grand Prix - Commencement

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Welcome to the inaugural Doubles Grand Prix! As our replacement for Smogon Doubles Tour as the premier multi-gen tournament, Doubles Grand Prix will function very similarly to The Smogon Classic. The preliminary stage will consist of three single elimination cups, one for each of the three generations of Doubles OU. Players will earn points from these cups using the Smogon Grand Slam point structure, which can be found here. The top 16 players after the conclusion of all 3 cups will qualify for playoffs, which will be a single-elimination bracket consisting of best-of-three multi-gen sets. When all is said and done, the top 32 players overall will earn Circuit Points according to the payout listed here.

Ties after the preliminary rounds will be broken in the following order:
  1. Best result in an individual tournament. If Player A advanced to the finals of one cup while Player B's best result was a semifinal appearance, Player A will be ranked higher.
  2. Overall win percentage. This is simply the ratio of sets won to sets played.
  3. Tiebreaker set. If a tie remains after the first two tiebreakers, the tied players will play a best-of-three multi-gen set.
Signups for each cup will be posted during consecutive weeks for a staggered start. Signups will remain open for one week, after which the tournament will begin. The schedule is as follows:
  • BW Cup: Signups posted Monday, May 27; hosted by DaWoblefet - Sign up here!
  • XY Cup: Signups posted Monday, June 3; hosted by Stratos - Sign up here!
  • SM Cup: Signups posted Monday, June 10; hosted by MajorBowman - Sign up here!
If there are any questions, feel free to post them in this thread or send me a PM and I will answer them promptly.

Note that this is not the signup thread - any signups posted in this thread will be deleted and will not count. This post will be updated when new signups open.

Good luck to all competitors!

Last edited by a moderator:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Now that all three cups have started, I've made the standings spreadsheet publicly available! Please let me know if you spot any errors (talkingtree#1556 on Discord) and I will fix them ASAP.

A couple quick notes on the formatting I used:
  • The green line indicates the cutoff for playoffs, and the red line indicates the cutoff for receiving circuit points
  • Any numbers in red text are locked due to that player being eliminated
  • Once a player is eliminated from all their entered cups, their name will be highlighted in red and point total/max points will turn to red text
  • The 'Rank' column is sorted only by point total, but standings themselves will be sorted by total points, then best finish, then max points possible, then alphabetically
Good luck to everyone for the rest of the tour!

Last edited:

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Congrats to Stratos for winning the inaugural Doubles Grand Prix!

Massive thanks to Stratos and DaWoblefet for hosting XY and BW cups, and to talkingtree for creating and maintaining the standings spreadsheet.

Hope everyone enjoyed this tournament, I think it's a pretty cool alternative to the live tour + playoff structure we had been using the last couple years. Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)