Project Doubles OU Next Best Thing: Cycle 13: Landorus-I (Submission)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Simple Beam is a pretty low-risk / high-reward move to run on Genesect if you're not running Assault Vest, and works as a nice surprise tech to beef up setup sweepers like DD Zygarde and Kyube :)

Genesect @ Focus Sash
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Simple Beam

Single Screener Genesect

Genesect @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Flash Cannon
- Reflect/Light Screen
- Ice Beam

Here we have a Genesect with a Reflect or a Light Screen (depending on the weaker side your team) that is one of its most useful status moves in Doubles OU Battles. I really wanted to run both screens, but this pokemon suffers a critical 4MSS.

Light Clay is not necessary here because in Doubles 5 turns are enough to work with because we are using a teammate.
I really like the screen support alongside U-turn to keep momentum because it makes switch-ins easy.
Ice Beam is here to get rid of annoying Grounds resistant or neutral to our dual STAB combination and it is so good that 252 EVs are put on the SpA.
  • As team support, Rain is always appreciate to mitigate a glaring weakness to Fire and coverage moves to deal properly with the opposing threats. In return, this Genesect offers U-turn support + screen support.

Few defensive cals:
252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Genesect through Reflect: 93-109 (32.8 - 38.5%) -- 5.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Genesect through Reflect: 78-92 (27.5 - 32.5%) -- 77.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Genesect: 126-149 (44.5 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Support Genesect:
Genesect doesn't have many options, putting aside screens as that's been posted, but it is significant that it outspeeds Urshifu-RS. Working from this advantage, Genesect with Electroweb allows partners, especially those in 'middling' speed tiers, to outspeed these threats. Ally Switch is the usual bother, also providing surprise-value. Normal Gem boosts Explosion's damage, while bluffing items except Choice's, opting as a damage sack when optimal, and optimized for positioning with U-Turn and common pivot mons like Blastoise, Rillaboom, and Zapdos.

https://pokepast.es/06bd5dc23de0ef53
Genesect @ Normal Gem
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Electroweb
- Ally Switch
- U-turn
- Explosion

Last edited:
BoltBeam Gravity Genesect:

Genesect @ Wide Lens
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Zap Cannon
- Blizzard
- Hone Claws
- Protect / Flash Cannon

Electric/Ice is known for being one of the best offensive coverage combinations and I wanted to try something a little more interesting than the typical ice beam/thunderbolt set. Obviously Zap Cannon and Blizzard aren't really used very much because of their poor accuracy, but with accuracy boosting support their secondary effects can offer huge advantages.

Zap CannonBlizzard
Wide Lens + Victory Star60.5%84.7%
Wide Lens + Hone Claws73.2%100%
Wide Lens + Gravity91.9%100%

An Update on the project. While not taking effect this week, the submission period will now be 3 days. This is to let the cycle go quicker, and I noticed that on the 2 times it was 4, no one has submitted a single set, so you can say this is for increasing effinciency.

Last edited:
Congrats to GenOne for winning with his Simple Beam set. It will be added to the Hall of fame soon enoguh. Anyways we have a bit of a twist for this one!

Cycle 3: Metagross
:sm/metagross:
Metagross rn is a somewhat auspicious Pokemon in this metagame. Its main role is checking Psyspam thanks to its quad-resist and good HP and Special Defense. It has a bunch of coverage such as Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Stomping Tantrum, Brick Break, ect. Considering that no set is on the stratadex. Any set is fair game! So lets see what you guys think of!

Reserving WP metagross set

Metagross @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Steel Roller
- Psycho Cut
- Hammer Arm
- Cosmic Power

This is a surprise setup Metagross set. You can often get the first cosmic for free after pivoting it in and soon it is ridiculously bulky. Kart crits do nothing cuz resisted and urshi can be taken out with psychic move. The added bulk lets you tank a move to activate WP more easily or you can always self proc. +2 Steel roller is a huge nuke and the other coverage lets you hit pretty much everything. Since I'm using steel roller 2 terrain setters rilla and fini are good partners. I use it in semiroom builds where hammer arm can also be used to make you faster in tr. A healing mon like amoong also helps a ton, while also redirecting.

Last edited:
Support Metagross

Metagross @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Steel Roller
- Protect / Bulldoze / Ally Switch

This set is more of a defensive option rather than going for more power. Metagross gets a solid utility movepool combined with good defensive stats, it can play a more supportive role. Stealth rock and toxic are the two staple utility moves that your gonna wanna run, as well as steel roller to help combat opposing terrain. Bulldoze would probably be the best 4th move, since steel roller will not work without terrian. Ally Switch was something that I thought was worth mentioning as more of a "meme" option.

Last edited:

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
1624569834198.png

Metagross @ Life Orb
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Stomping Tantrum

The reason for this is to go fast and kill as much stuff as you can. So after an agility it can out run Zeraora.
And the reason for Max attack and Life Orb is to do as much damage as possible while you have the chance. 81.3% chance to OHKO Dragapult.
Pair this mon with a good Fire+Water+Grass core to support its weakness and types it cannot hit. Something like Rilla+Incin+Fini or the other viable FWG mons, I like this core because the 2 fake out mons help Metagrass for its lack of protect

Last edited:
Metagross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Steel Roller
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch
- Stomping Tantrum

Assault vest Metagross is one of the most consistent mons in the tier. It can’t be one-shot by almost anything, and the coverage that four attacks gives it allow it to always threaten something on the field. I almost always bring this mon out in the early game, use it to chip one or two mons that threaten the rest of my team, and then use whatever I have in the back to win.

EVs:
-always lives spread eruption from 252+ charcoal heatran and OHKOs back with stomp
-always kills 252/0 diancie at +2 def with steel roller
-80% chance to live 2 heat waves from volcanion
-80% chance to ohko 252/0 kyube
-almost always kills zyg with ice punch into bp

Last edited:
Occa Berry Metagross

Metagross aids teams as a switch-in to prevalent threats, including rising Dragon-types, Rilla, and Psyspam. Occa helps Metagross stay in to KO Heatran back. 12 speed hits 179, outspeeding Volcanion at 177-178.

Metagross @ Occa Berry
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Meteor Mash
- Stomping Tantrum
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

252 SpA Charcoal Heatran Eruption (150 BP) vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Occa Berry Metagross: 241-285 (66.5 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Charcoal Heatran Heat Wave vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Occa Berry Metagross: 153-181 (42.2 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Volcanion Heat Wave vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Occa Berry Metagross: 139-165 (38.3 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 SpA Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Occa Berry Metagross: 179-211 (49.4 - 58.2%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Metagross Stomping Tantrum vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 158-188 (43.5 - 51.7%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO

TrickIR Metagross

Metagross @ Iron Ball
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Meteor Mash
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect
- Trick

Here we have an offensive support Metagross with Trick + Iron Ball in order to cut in half the opposing Spe while neutering strategies reliant on Flying-types immunity to Ground.
Don't understimate the utility to grab and use an opposing item (except Choice Specs and Black Sludge).

Meteor Mash + Stomping Tantrum is the dual STAB combination used to avoid being too passive.

Last edited:
Shuca Spdef Rocks

Shuca Berry allows Metagross to comfortably take ground type hits as it often has to be paired with other ground-weak pokemon. I went with max spdef for survivability (to reliably set up rocks and get at least 1 hit off). 4 speed EVs allow it to outspeed Tornadus-I, Kartana, other base ~110s under tailwind. Stomping Tantrum allows it to hit steel resists like Heatran, Incineroar, etc. super effectively and at least neutral most other popular mons.

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 248 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Steel Roller
- Stomping Tantrum
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

252+ SpA Heatran Eruption (150 BP) vs. 248 HP / 248+ SpD Metagross: 312-368 (85.9 - 101.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Spectrier Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 248+ SpD Metagross: 283-338 (77.9 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 248+ SpD Metagross: 278-330 (76.5 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde 50% Thousand Arrows vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Metagross: 120-142 (33 - 39.1%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
Outspeeds Tornadus-I/Kartana after tailwind

Last edited:

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Explosion Metagross (aka Pick Something To Die)
:ss/metagross:
Metagross @ Normal Gem
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Stomping Tantrum
- Explosion
- Protect

As I said in the title, as long as you are careful around Protect, this set will almost always be able to claim a KO on something: your opponent can only choose what. Here's the sort of thing you can do:
252+ Atk Normal Gem Metagross Explosion vs 0 HP / 0 Def Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 299-352 (87.6 - 103.2%) - 25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Normal Gem Metagross Explosion vs 248 HP / 36 Def Rillaboom: 314-370 (77.9 - 91.8%) - guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Normal Gem Metagross Explosion vs 0 HP / 0 Def Zeraora: 379-447 (119.5 - 141%) - guaranteed OHKO
Even Porygon2 is taking 57% minimum from it. I think you get the idea though: it isn't literally OHKOing everything, but it does put most bulkier neutral stuff into KO range of anything, and Iron Head into Explosion KOes a lot of stuff as well. The EV spread is probably customisable depending on team composition, but this is just max attack, enough speed to outspeed Zeraora in Tailwind, and the rest in HP for some extra bulk. Iron Head and Stomping Tantrum not only provide fantastic two-move coverage, but they also are good at threatening Rock- and Steel-types that would usually try to sponge Explosion. Ideally, the set is used with something great at pressuring Steel-types like Heatran or Volcanion, so that the opponent is further limited in Explosion switch-ins.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)