Tournament Doubles Premier League 7: Finals (Won by Santalune Storms)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule Sheet
Spreadsheet
Admin Thread

#1 Santalune Storms (4) vs. (1) #3 Twinleaf Mutant Ninja Squirtles

SS DOU: Shadowmonstr7 vs shrop
SS DOU: zeefable vs Paraplegic
SS DUU: AtmosphereVGC vs kaori
SM DOU: stax vs Spurrific
XY DOU: qsns vs Amaranth
BW DOU: DaWoblefet vs Memoric
The deadline is Sunday, April 4th, at 11:59 PM Eastern time.
A few quick notes/reminders:
  • Follow Smogon's Tournament rules (no ghosting, no leaking teams/sets in chat, etc)
  • All matches are Best of 1
  • All replays must be posted - the same policy regarding replays used in Seasonals will be used here. All matches without a replay will be treated as a double game loss.
  • I will grant activity wins or extensions if I have to, but only as a last resort. Do your best to get your games done on time!
  • Substitutions are allowed, but be sure to let the host, opposing player, and opposing manager know ASAP if one needs to happen. If both managers agree to switching matchups around in the same tier to accommodate timezone issues that is fine, but send me a PM on Smogon including both managers so that I know it's legit.
  • If any of the rosters are incorrect, PM me on discord asap and I will edit.
  • FREE SHADOWTAG IN SS :p

Last edited:
DPL 7 Predictions Tour

The last predictions form of the year is here, barring tiebreaks. Predictions will be open for approximately 72 hours from this post. I added feedback questions (for real this time) at the end of the form so I would appreciate it if people could fill those questions in, even if you didn't participate in the predictions tour this year.

The Semi finals results have been tallied and the top 5 are as follows:

1. Lunar: 835 points
2. kamikaze: 820 points
3. Memoric: 815 points
4. Mizuhime: 805 points
5. Amaranth: 790 points

Lunar has reclaimed the lead, replacing Mizuhime who dropped to 4th. Kamikaze and Memoric moved up to 2nd and 3rd respectively. Emma has fallen out of the top 5, replaced by Amaranth. Mass Opinion scored 65 points and moved from 14th to 13th. The Ape predicted every Squirtles player to lose, but also for the Squirtles to win overall, and scored 25 points and dropped to 19th. The full leaderboard can be found here.

Semi finals recap:
  • The match between Kaori and SMB will not count for prediction points. The match will either be delayed at best and is not even guaranteed to be played so it will not count for semi finals prediction points. If SMB wins the game and their record is tied for most wins then predictions for SMB to get the most wins will still count.
  • This was the first week to see a perfect score of 75 points. Memoric, Amaranth, Paraplegic and TurtalKatThing all reached the perfect score.
  • This was also the first week to see someone predict every game and score 0. Poor Dnagerbadger ended up with this score.
  • The biggest upset was Amaranth vs JRL (4-19)
  • Sunrose posted the finals thread 1 minute after Memoric posted their win post. Amaranth correctly predicted that Sunrose would take 0 hours to do so, making them the most accurate predictor of the week.

DPL 7 Predictions Tour

Finals predictions are now closed. Here is the breakdown, favourites in bold:

Storms: 8 / Squirtles: 11 / Tie: 2
  • Shadowmonstr7: 4 / Shrop: 17
  • Zeefable: 5 / Paraplegic: 16
  • AtmosphereVGC: 10 / Kaori: 11
  • Stax: 10 / Spurrific: 11
  • Qsns: 13 / Amaranth: 8
  • DaWoblefet: 12 / Memoric: 9
Bonus: Who will win the DPL 7 Prediction Tour?
  • Lunar: 8
  • Memoric: 4
  • kamikaze: 3
  • Zikam: 1
  • Mizuhime: 1
  • Squirtles: 1
  • YoBuddy's left nipple: 1
Lunar responded 'give me the two timeeee.'

I have had some questions about the points breakdown so I post the full breakdown here:
  • Individual win: 10 points
  • Team win: 25 points
  • Correct playoff team(s): 50 points each
  • First/last place overall: 100 points each
  • Individual most wins/losses: 50 points each

Thank you everyone that responded for answering the feedback questions. I will post the breakdown here for future reference for whoever runs the next predictions tour.

Were you happy with the amount of time the form stayed open each week?
  • Yes, 72 hours is good: 17
  • Yes, 48 hours is good: 3
  • No, the form was open too long and I forgot if I had already predicted: 1
Did you feel the predicts tour was promoted adequately?
  • Yes: 20
  • No, it wasn't promoted enough: 1
  • No, it was promoted too much: 0
Were you happy with bonus questions being added each week?
  • Yes: 14
  • Indifferent: 6
  • No: 0
Were you happy with the 2 new questions (most individual wins/losses) added to the pre-season this year?
  • Yes, both were fine: 12
  • Individual wins was fine, losses was not: 7
  • No, I didn't like either question: 2
Should any questions be added to next year's prediction questions?
Suggestions included usage based questions (most usage, which mon will have a 100% winrate), full team placements, best cost to win ratio for an individual player, how many substitutions and more meme questions.

If you didn't participate/lost interest in the predictions tour over the course of DPL 7 could you briefly explain why and what might make you participate in the future?
There were only 2 serious responses to this question:
  • I actually hate doing predictions but love when people post stats on predicts. Your posts were good to read.
  • I have participated every week, but would have appreciated if this form included a ping each week personally.

Judging by the feedback the likely main changes for future prediction tours would be to remove the most individual losses question and to add a Discord role for people interested in the predictions tour (I think this might have been a thing in the past but I'm not sure). Another potential idea is making two separate forms, one for serious responses and another for the bonus/meme questions. The bonus form would allow users to view other responses after submitting their own, so people don't have to wait until the breakdown to see all the responses.

Total votes: 21
Most one-sided vote: Shadowmonstr7 vs Shrop (4-17)
Closest vote: AtmosphereVGC vs Kaori (10-11) and Stax vs Spurrific (10-11)

Thank you to all 50+ users who submitted a prediction this year and good luck to those still in the running to win the whole tour.

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
I wasn't gonna post predicts, but since no one has done any I thought it'd be good to get some out for finals

Shadowmonstr7 vs shrop - Both have done well, but I think that shrop is one of the best ss players at the moment and I have liked his teams a bit more. He also won the last time they played, though I expect shadow to bring something better in finals.

zeefable vs Paraplegic - Para has also been one of the better ss players this tour. He has played well and I have liked his teams. I also think zeefable is a good player and with a good team is capable of taking this, but Para has been impressive and I trust him more.

AtmosphereVGC vs kaori - This one is very close as both have done well in duu, I haven't kept up with whats good in the tier that well, so just gonna give it to kaori based on the last time they played.

stax vs Spurrific - Both are obviously solid, so this could easily go either way as well, but i'm gonna give it to stax. When they played in week 5, stax won with the aid of a metagross crit, but he still played well and I liked the variation of his hail team. I was also a fan of the team he used the previous week vs yoda. Spurrific has played well, but has reused teams all throughout the tour, so stax should know what to expect when playing and prepping.

qsns vs Amaranth - Amaranth had a great performance last time these 2 played where he used a very cool team with sub deoxys vs qsns' team lacking anything faster and much speed control. I also liked the team he used in semifinals. I do still think qsns is the better player though so I'm gonna give it to him, but his teams have been fairly similar all tour, so I could see amaranth taking this again if memoric prepares something good.

DaWoblefet vs Memoric -The last time they played was one of the worst games of dpl where memoric probably won the game after t1 if he did not get flinched and still had a good chance to win until dawob got bailed with a scizor double protect. Both are good players and builders in this, but memoric will be out for revenge after last time and take this one.

Last edited:
DPL is always a blast, but this year takes the cake. It was incredible to be a part of the Storms this year and I’m so incredibly proud to call each and every one of you my teammate. You guys gave it your all, and the results show it. If there was an option to lock in this team again for next year I would do it in an instant ❤

stax - I’m convinced beyond doubt that you’re the most naturally gifted player in the tier. Your ability to walk up to any opponent with any team and outplay them at every point is nuts. Selfishly I’m very thankful that you didn’t manage this year which gave me the chance to have you on my team and because if you were managing you probably would have won

shadow - building teams with you is what I looked forward to most every week. Finding ways to make stuff like spider, goltres, double cb (and entei?) work was such a fun and refreshing divergence from building standard goodstuffs teams, and the fact that you kept on winning with them should erase anyone’s doubts about how good you are as a player. Go win this ssnl my dude :)

zee - I want you to play Don’t Stop Believin’ over and over again any time you start to doubt your playing or building skills. You’re really fuckin good at this game - the way you clawed yourself back into a game that seemed all but lost in the finals should really tell you something. I’m so happy our paths crossed for this tourney and I really hope you stick around dou for a while longer

atmosphere - another criminally underrated player that I expect to go for much higher next DPL. You started in a tier that nobody else on the team mained and played very solidly every week. We did our best to help, but really you were on your own here and going 2-3 in a tier with SMB is solid af and well earned

london - it’s rare to find a player that’s so eager to help in so many different slots. You were always on discord critiquing teams and suggesting ideas, and even though you didn’t get to play much you contributed a ton to everything we did. Being in a mainly support role can be tough but you always showed up with a positive attitude and made the team a better place for everyone

wob - you’re incredibly knowledgeable about the game, but I knew that before DPL and I’m sure everyone else did too. What amazes me about you is how tightly you’re able to dissect every game that you play. After winning, most players like to get carried away and celebrate, and after losing, most players like to take time off from the game. You’re an exception - after every single game, you looked back and broke down what you did well, what you didn’t, where luck could have helped you, where luck could have screwed you. I’m constantly in awe of everything you do and I’m sure that you’re going to be one of the best players around for as long as you choose to be

laptops - I wish we could have slotted you in during the season, but regardless it’s always great having more Storms vets on the team. You were part of the crew that got me started playing competitively in the first place and I’m still very thankful for that

qsns - you were on every single draft plan I made and I don’t know what I would have done without you on the team. You’re insanely good at building, even better at playing, you understand the metagame way deeper than I could ever hope to, and you’re an amazingly fun person to work with. You’re the complete package of everything I could ever want in a teammate and I’m so lucky to have you as a teammate. Hope you like the Storms cuz there's no way I'm letting anyone else have you next year ;)

arctic - we both know that I wouldn’t be anywhere close to here if not for you. You took a chance on me by drafting me in DPL 4, and an even bigger chance offering me a team that you’ve run for so many years. You’re the reason I play competitive mons and even all these years later I still come to you first whenever I need to bounce ideas off of anyone. I have nothing but gratitude towards you <3

zstrats - our playoff messiah. You gave us everything you had throughout the playoffs and expected nothing in return. Everyone should already know how good of a player and builder you are, but your dedication to helping others and perseverance to keep building and building until something incredible emerges is inspiring. I’m so thankful for the help you gave us and hope that some day I'm in a position to return the favor

Final shoutouts to leadership for consistently maintaining a healthy community, to the five other teams and Sunrose for a great DPL, to Yoda and GenOne for keeping me sane, to Lunar for the predix and support, and to croven for nothing ;)

See y'all back on the court next year and GO STORMS

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
loser shoutouts are cringe but shrop Para and Memo have been PHENOMENAL teammates and had enough faith and patience to turn me from horrible loser who forgets about sleep clause into a competent player by the end of the tour. i had a great time and my spark for doubles has been reignited a good bit :D

gratz storms you owned us lol

Idk if I will edit this and do a larger post, but I just wanna give a shoutout to all the people on the Storms, particularly Fespy for taking a chance on me, Shadowmonstr7 for their exceptional performance this season, he deserves a real chance to start in a major doubles tour now :psyangry:.

zeefable for performing in their first dpl very admirably against a killer's row with their schedule. I was very impressed with how they played and I think they will be a name we will continue to see for the next few years.

AtmosphereVGC Thanks for listening to my builds, I think some weeks we were a bit distant in what we thought could work, but the fact u performed well, despite being out of duu for a while shows your skill as a player.

Old gen core were great, I think we all knew how good they were though. Particularly qsns who would always respect the suggestions I gave, even if they are more knowledgeable about xy.

DPL 7 Prediction Tour

Congratulations to the Santalune Storms for winning DPL7. Judging by Kaori's post in the DPL team dump thread their game is not going to be played, which means the best part of DPL, the predictions tour, can announce its winners. If AtmosphereVGC vs Kaori is played before the deadline the leaderboard could change. Regardless of the outcome of the game the winner of the DPL 7 prediction tour will stay the same.

In 5th place is KennyJ with 835 points. They managed to climb into the top 5 for the first time thanks to getting some pre-season prediction points.

In equal 3rd place is kamikaze with 840 points. They joined the top 5 for the first time after week 4 and reached as high as 2nd after the semi finals points were counted.

Also in equal 3rd place is London13 with 840 points. They are another newcomer to the top 5, being one of the few to get 100 points for predicting the Storms to win DPL7.

In 2nd place is Mizuhime with 850 points. They had an excellent predictions tour, finishing every week, except Week 3, in the top 5 and being one of three users to hold first place at some point.

For an honourable mention we have Shadowmonstr7 in 8th place with 790 points. Shadowmonst7 did not submit pre-season predictions and was the only person in the top 19 to not submit predictions for each week and pre-season. They would have tied for first place if pre-season predictions didn't exist. Shadowmonstr7 was one of three users to lead the tour at the end of a week, had the highest score for an individual week (215 points in Week 1) and was in the top 2 until pre-season points were counted.

In 1st place, with an incredible 990 points, is DPL 5 and DPL 7 prediction tour winner Lunar! Of all the top predictors of DPL 7 Lunar was the only one to predict the Storms to win DPL from last place in the power rankings, which gave them a huge lead over all their rivals. Lunar stayed in the top 2 after every week, holding first place after 3 different weeks, and is a very deserving winner.

The full leaderboard can be found here.

Finals and pre-season recap:
  • The match between AtmosphereVGC and Kaori has not been counted for predictions points. It appears that this match will not be played. If it is played before the deadline it will count for predictions points, which will change some positions in the leaderboard.
  • The highest score for finals was 65 points, scored by Shadowmonstr7 and Arcticblast.
  • 2 users, Emma and SingleThunder, did not score any points for the finals.
  • The highest score for the pre-season was 250 points, scored by DaWoblefet.
  • SMB was the only user to score 0 points for the pre-season.
  • All users predicted their own teams games.
  • 8 users correctly predicted Lunar to win the DPL 7 prediction tour.
  • DaWoblefet used the strategy invented by the Ape last week. They predicted the Storms to win overall but for the Storms to lose every individual game. He managed to outscore 14 users using this strategy.
  • The biggest upset was Shadowmonstr7 vs Shrop (4-17)

Thank you to the 50 users who submitted at least 1 prediction form and an even bigger thank you to the 19 users who submitted predictions for the pre-season and each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)