Project Doubles Teambuilding Competition - ON HIATUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER -> ARCTICBLAST

This time, we're going to build around our old friend...

Azumarill! Once known for being able to singlehandedly destroy teams with its partner in crime, Jirachi, Azumarill has faced a bit of a decline this generation. While it's still capable of decimating opposing teams with Belly Drum, Aqua Jet, and an Attack stat nearly equal to Groudon's thanks to Huge Power, various factors in the metagame have proved unfavorable to it. For one, the introduction of Tapu Lele hurt it quite badly, as the Psychic Terrain it brings stops it from reliably using Aqua Jet and forces it to rely on its low Speed, leaving it much more manageable as it is then prone to just getting beat down by a plethora of faster threats. Another thing is that the existence of bulkier boys such as Fini and Zapdos can prove annoying, as they can simply punk Azumarill by taking hits. Not much has changed to how one uses Azumarill, it's just that the game has changed. At least it got a neat toy in Normalium Z + BD, though, which heals it to max HP before halving health and boosting!

Deadline on Saturday GMT noon, deal w/ it

Last edited:
team "posting since no teams"

Nihilego @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Power Gem
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Substitute
- Protect

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Protect

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 36 SpA / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tailwind
- Roost

Tapu Bulu @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Protect

• do not fear, this is not just a team since none was posted.
  • seriously though, pokemon of the week is azumarill so that's that. i decided to give normalium z a shot so there's that, and its nice to have full hp on a +6 attack pokemon. the speed is to hit aegislash first, which is very useful. its a bonus for tailwind as well
  • I wanted to test out a core posted in the core thread, which explains nihilego. the typings give them pretty nice synergy, allowing nihilego to deal with threats azumarill dislikes such as tapus not named koko, charizard etc while azumarill does a pretty good job itself in removing landorus, heatran, and other pokemon that threaten nihilego.
  • i generally like to pair fairies with a steel type, and a dragon type along the way if i can. i chose mega metagross as my mega because steel types are very solid this gen, gives my team another fast and hard hitting pokemon. picking charizard with azumarill or double poison mega gengar in psychic spam meta didnt sound great either.
  • the dragon type to go is hydreigon because hydreigon metagross pair so well, along with the fact that it gives a strong aegislash answer which i lacked so far, adds a nuke to the team with draco meteor, takes out zyguard quickly which is somewhat of an issue so far and is a safe switch in to sun. it originally had tailwind, but i opted for earthpower because i noticed i dont like having aqua jet azumarill as my answer to heatran
  • zapdos here was added because tapu lele finds it fun to block my aqua jet with psychic terrain. in other words, the tailwind zapdos provides makes azumarill a much bigger threat, and is also appreciated by all members of the team since metagross nihilego and hydreigon have rather "medium" speed tiers. having a semi defensive pokemon to switch into was also nice.
  • tapu bulu was chosen here for multiple reasons. tapu fini and tapu lele do not synergize with the team, mainly because tapu koko weakness and priority negation. tapu koko gave the team a huge landorus weakness which was hard to overlook. meanwhile, while bulu may not be the fastest even under tailwind,a landorus switch in was crucial, and grassy terrain's earthquake nerf is heavily appreciated in this squad . its also notable that bulu takes on tapu koko which is a good bonus. grass and water pair well too.

Last edited:

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Protect

Pachirisu @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Follow Me
- Nuzzle
- Super Fang
- Protect

Tapu Bulu @ Meadow Plate
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Protect

Talonflame @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Protect

Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 208 HP / 56 SpA / 96 SpD / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Bomb
- U-turn

Pachirisu is cool as a partner for azu. it eats electric attacks and paralyzes stuff. super fang puts literally everything in range of aqua jet. the evs are needed to take a +1 zygarde thousand arrows.
Added bulu as it was the terrain that synergised best with azu, fini is the exact same type as azu, koko stacks ground weaks, lele stops aqua jet. grassy plate still gives a nice boost to wood hammer. outspeeds scarf lando in tw
talonflame is a nice tw setter and flyinium z gives it a nuke even after gale wings is dead, and kills grass types for azu
needed a steel so megagross entered, good check to psyspam, wanted to go with meteor mash but im a pussy so eh, also kills mence
av lando to beat other lando, mence, tapus, hoopa etc. didnt want to use eq as bulu messes it up. outspeeds +1 mence in tw, tank a psychic terrain deo a psycho boost, rest in spa

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Azumarill @ Mago Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Victini @ Charcoal
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 204 SpA / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blue Flare
- Glaciate
- Final Gambit
- Protect

Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Protect

Shaymin-Sky @ Groundium Z
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt
- Protect
I'm a fan of mago Azu, it lets you still use it like a fini water and still be extremely annoying if you do get your bd off. Since azu only has ajet, we add kyube to more solidly check lando/zygarde. Tini+gross are cool double psychic+fairy resists, and gambit glaciate tini checks steels, tr, and adds speed control all in one. ground z skymin helps cover steels that tini/kyube can't, and koko solidifies the fat water matchup and pairs well with fusion bolt kyube. Overall, nothing on this team is dead weight damage wise, but you've still got enough bulk and resists to pivot around.

Tapu Koko @ Assault Vest
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 36 SpA / 40 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sky Drop

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 20 HP / 168 SpA / 68 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Tyranitar @ Rockium Z
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Low Kick
- Protect

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 12 Spe
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Tailwind
- Protect

built this team to try and support azu enough in a post kanga/post rachi meta and its not super easy but this team is aight at it. Main ways to help set up are sky drop on koko and shadow tag trapping with gar. Team has double priority and a way to reset terrain/trap opposing terrain which is actually pretty nice in the meta. Scizor isn't total asscheeks and often gets a KO, works pretty well as a psychic check if i can clear the terrain. Ttar helps vs opposing weather and can wallbreak when it needs to. Low kick could be swapped out post kanga but its still nice for heatran. Lastly scarf lando is a nice glue and stops the team from losing to opposing gar and koko.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
I never got the notif, only having realized the other day that this was still a thing so... mb! I really just elected to let the week pass, maybe this project needed a break or something. It also lets me get back the right schedule lol

Voting time!

Silverwhiteblue
AuraRayquaza
Yellow Paint
miltankmilk

Deadline Tuesday GMT noon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)