Doubles, the next official Smogon Metagame in Gen 6

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It's happening!
With the advent of gen 6 and the rising usage and popularity of the Doubles metagame, we in Smogon have decided it's time this tier gets an official status, with its own analyses, team, and forum. Welcome!

While the tier itself is going to be official starting 12th October 2013, we are undergoing an adaptation period of two months where the Doubles metagame is going to adapt to the whole C&C process and making its forum grow, so you, dear player, can learn all about it and start participating with us before we officially start, should you get a sudden interest on Doubles now that it's official.

As with all Smogon official and unofficial metagames, you can play Doubles in Pokémon Showdown, our sim of choice that allows us to play our thrilling doubles battles in our very active ladder.

Credits:
Pocket & NixHex - Creators
Joim - Leader
Joim and Pocket - Tiering
NixHex - C&C boss
Joim, Pocket, NixHex, Arcticblast, Level 51 - Doubles moderators

Without further ado, cheers!

Last edited:
This is really cool!

Even though we still don't know a lot about Gen 6 yet, I think we should adopt some formal plan about doubles (whether it be tiering, projects, advertising, whatever). Since this will be one of the least played tiers initially (if not the most), I think it would really help us hit the ground running.

Doubles, the new Gen 6 metagame
Posted on Sep 17, 2013 01:52AM
It's happening! Doubles is here!

With the advent of Gen 6 and the rising usage and popularity of the Doubles metagame, we in Smogon have decided it's time this tier gets an official status.

While the tier itself is going to be official starting 12th October 2013, the day Gen 6 comes out worldwide, the Doubles team is undergoing an adaptation period where the Doubles metagame is adapting to theContributions and Corrections process and making its very own forum grow so all new players can learn all about it and start participating in the Doubles community before the official date.

As with all Smogon official and unofficial metagames, you can play Doubles in Pokémon Showdown, our sim of choice that allows us to play our thrilling Doubles battles in a very active gimmicky ladder. ~Joim

^He means this thing :>

im kinda waiting on someone to make a x/y meta speculation thread (even though i won't be posting in it until i beat the game myself). unless of course all the doubles leaders are trying to avoid spoilers and/or the general meta thread already serves that purpose, though even then i check this that often and i dont want people spoilin stuff for me :(

Last edited:
I really do wish this happened during the DP/HGSS eras, but it's good to see that players outside of Japan have started to step out of the comfort zone of singles and recognize doubles. Unfortunately it probably goes without saying that doubles rarely if ever can have general movesets for a given Pokemon as the way I see it each moveset should highly reflect every other member of your team, though movesets can without a doubt give you a pretty good starting ground for considerations. This is more so the case in Triples where general movesets may prove less useful than in Doubles.

With the release of GenV I moved on from Doubles to Triples, so I can't really say that I'm a big doubles player anymore but I definitely support this! Perhaps more players will begin to realize the complexity that comes with the need for broader simultaneous-considerations when forming/playing a team either for Doubles or Triples.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)