Other Metagames Doubles UU - Chillygon-Z

Long-time lurker and player, first time poster...

I can't seem to get over the hump with my doubles UU team. I can beat the top couple players reasonably often, but then I'll lose to a few guys with really low elo. Bad matchups, but can't seem to figure out how I can take my team to the next step.

I have highlighted anything that I am unsure about in red.

Chillygon-Z Doubles UU Team

Sneasel @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Fake Out
- Hail

Details: Sneasel + Porygon-Z is my main leads, unless I think there's something on the other team that can interrupt Porygon-Z's Z-Conversion, OHKO it, or paralyze it. Inner Focus makes him impervious to opposing Fake Outs and Rock Slides. Knock Off and Fake Out are crucial; Sneasel's Ice Shard helps take out the few Cottonnees out there and if he survives his sacrifice lead it helps later on if a Dragon/Ground comes out, and Hail allows him to set up Porygon-Z during Protect.

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Ally Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Details: Dusclops is the team tank, obviously. Pain Split for survivability, Ally Switch to give Porygon-Z and Sylveon a possible second or third life against single attacks, Will-O-Wisp to take out physical attackers, and Protect to delay. I am not really sold on having Protect in there, nor am I sold on Will-O-Wisp; I think I could swap Night Shade for Protect, and/or Toxic for Will-O-Wisp. I have won quite a few games late just because other people don't have anything available late game to win a PP war vs. a Pain Split Dusclops.

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Discharge
- Conversion
- Protect

Details: The crux of the team. If Porygon-Z can fire off a Z-Conversion, it's incredibly difficult to stop. The biggest counter to this I have seen to date is xqzandala's Mienshao, which can't be Faked Out, has access to Wide Guard, and OHKOs Porygon-Z even after a Conversion with High Jump Kick. Discharge was put in there to counter Water and some Steel types that can easily absorb a Blizzard hit, but I've noticed that after the Adaptability boost, Discharge does barely any more than Blizzard does if Discharge is super effective and Blizzard is not effective. So I am not sure what other move to put in that slot, but it likely has to be a single target attack to get around Wide Guard. Psychic?

Sylveon @ Life Orb
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 76 Def / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power Ground
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Details: I have really struggled with this slot on my team. I know only one thing for sure - this slot has to do damage, and has to be fighting-resistant and not weak to rock. I can't find a great fit, but this one has been the best so far. It used to be Primarina, but Primarina was getting wasted by Manectric and a post-tailwind Mega Ampharos. If Sylveon is the right choice, I am not sure about my HP Ground choice; it's there to hit the 3 types that Fairy cannot (Poison, Fire, and Steel). But it seems a bit underwhelming - I feel like a status move could potentially be a better choice.

Murkrow @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Feather Dance
- Quash
- Tailwind

Details: I love this little bastard. Murkrow is extremely difficult to OHKO with a max SpD investment and Eviolite, even a Thunderbolt or Discharge from a number of fully maxed out electrics, so you are almost guaranteed to survive a Tailwind set-up with a few predictable exceptions. Brave Bird, even with only 8 in Attack, does heavy damage to anything that doesn't resist it, and it covers my team's fighting weakness. Quash helps counter other Pranksters and Bullet Punch for Porygon-Z, and counters Tailwind-assisted heavy hitters. Feather Dance doesn't seem to be overly useful for me, so I am thinking of swapping it out for Toxic to try and make the end-game for Dusclops (if it gets there) a little easier.

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Substitute
- Protect

Details: One of the more under-utilised aspects of Mega Abomasnow is that he gets to set up hail twice - once on switch-in, and then up to 2 turns later with a protect in between. This allows Porygon-Z, if set up, to continue firing off Blizzard unchecked even with a weather switch-in. Abomasnow is probably my favourite Pokemon on this team; his Blizzard hits incredibly hard, Giga Drain clears Water-types out of the way for Porygon-Z and takes care of non-Mega Aggron pretty quickly, Substitute allows Abomasnow to give himself an extra life if it's pretty clear Porygon will survive the next turn, and Protect of course buys him more time.

Would be curious to hear your thoughts, particularly about Sylveon's place on the team, Murkrow's Feather Dance slot, Porygon-Z's Discharge slot, and Dusclop's Will-O-Wisp and Protect slots.

I dig it but does Pory need to turn into an ice type. Like sure stab, but that's where the pros end whereas ghost gives you a desperately needed fighting immunity. I mean sure you have Dusclops but that's not enough when most fighting mons carry dark stab.
Also I think your team needs to decide on balance or HO and figure out your win con based off that. Can't remember if Hydreigon is meta or even in the tier since I've been out for a long time but he pairs well in a sense that it adds a nice nuker for pory to sweep and weakens its checks/counters. Also imo Substitute on Abomasnow could be switched and same with Hail on Sneasel but seeings as those aren't red.
As for red, Sylveon scarfed with Hyper Voice, Psyshock, HP Ground/Fighting, and Moonblast for single targeting or as meme-ish as this sounds H-Beam. Picks up useful KO's on mons that wall Pory even with the Z-boost. Feather Dance ---> Roost. Discharge ---> Shadow Ball and S-Ball in 1st slot.

I dig it but does Pory need to turn into an ice type. Like sure stab, but that's where the pros end whereas ghost gives you a desperately needed fighting immunity. I mean sure you have Dusclops but that's not enough when most fighting mons carry dark stab.
Also I think your team needs to decide on balance or HO and figure out your win con based off that. Can't remember if Hydreigon is meta or even in the tier since I've been out for a long time but he pairs well in a sense that it adds a nice nuker for pory to sweep and weakens its checks/counters. Also imo Substitute on Abomasnow could be switched and same with Hail on Sneasel but seeings as those aren't red.
As for red, Sylveon scarfed with Hyper Voice, Psyshock, HP Ground/Fighting, and Moonblast for single targeting or as meme-ish as this sounds H-Beam. Picks up useful KO's on mons that wall Pory even with the Z-boost. Feather Dance ---> Roost. Discharge ---> Shadow Ball and S-Ball in 1st slot.
Thanks for your response! I've swapped out Discharge for Shadow Ball and Roost for Feather Dance. Not sure why I never considered Roost. Ended up removing Sylveon entirely and have put in Naganadel as he supports Porygon if he carries Shadow Ball if I can get a Nasty Plot set up on Naganadel. I like Hail on Sneasel because if I don't see a threat to Porygon on the first turn then I can set up hail without having to switch in Abomasnow. Substitute I want to leave on Abomasnow as I found it's extremely effective. Thanks for the feedback!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)