DP Celebi

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well, Celebi has above average attacking stats...above average speed...and Recover. A Life Orb set should be in the analysis. Gouki and I can both attest to its effectiveness. After discussing it with Gouki, we decided that Timid was the consensus "best" ability, as the extra power of Modest wasn't as vital as always outspeeding Lucario, Roserade, and Adamant Garchomp.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/celebi

[SET]
Name: Sweeping Celebi
Move 1: Recover
Move 2: Leaf Storm
Move 3: Psychic
Move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ground / U-turn
Item: Life Orb
IVs: 6 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
EVs: 36 Def / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Nature: Timid

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This Celebi's purpose is to hurt as much of the standard metagame as possible. Only Heatran and Houndoom resist the Hidden Power Fire set. Recover is on the set to heal off residual Life Orb recoil damage, as Celebi will have many opportunities to heal in battle due to its useful Fighting and Ground resists. Hidden Power Ground can be used to deal damage to Fire Pokemon switching in on Celebi, like Heatran, Houndoom, Infernape and Arcanine. U-turn can be considered in order to save Celebi from potentially bad matchups, and it works well in conjunction with Leaf Storm due to the -2 Special Attack drop.</p>

<p>Timid is chosen over Modest because it is impossible to have a Speed IV of 31 with Hidden Power Fire, meaning Celebi would always be slower than other neutral base 100 Speed Pokemon. 319 Speed allows Celebi to always outspeed and KO Lucario, Roserade, Porygon-Z, and Electivire. It also allows Celebi to deal massive damage to Adamant (Yache Berry) Garchomp (who would otherwise outspeed a Modest Celebi) with Leaf Storm.</p>

<p>Life Orb is the optimal item on this set instead of Expert Belt because Celebi will hit most of its targets for neutral damage. As for Leftovers, this particular Celebi set is not meant to take hits anyway.</p>

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The purpose of this Celebi is to hurt as much of the standard metagame as possible. Only Heatran and Houndoom resist the Hidden Power Fire set. Recover is used on the set in order heal off residual Life Orb recoil damage. Celebi will have many opportunities to heal in battle due to its useful Fighting and Ground resists. Hidden Power Ground can be used to deal damage to Fire Pokemon switching in on Celebi, like Heatran, Houndoom, Infernape and Arcanine.

Second part is fine.

Life Orb is the optimal item on this set instead of Leftovers or Expert Belt because the majority of threats Celebi will be hitting for neutral damage. This particular Celebi is not meant to be taking hits anyway.
Fixes in bold.

The last part is really bugging me, but I can't think of a good way to word it.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Edited fixes, and stellar, on second thought that wet is different and viable enough to merit its own analysis, specially since I do not plan on making a Celebi revamp. I take back what I said, I think you should make your own peer edit ^_^

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm still not really sure if it is 100% worth posting yet, so I will test it a bit more before creating my own peer edit.

But for the time being, I edited my post.

Am actually really surprised from that moveset Aldaron because Fear, a friend of mine, created almost the exact same moveset as this back when Shoddybattle was at it's early stages.

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 80 HP / 176 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic
- U-turn / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover

I believe U-Turn deserves a mention over HP Fire and HP Ground. It both provides good coverage with your other moves and since Leaf Storm forces you to switch out U-turn takes that to your own advantage.

A 236 U-turn isnt much of a difference than a 212 one while the defenses are important to Celebi no matter what the moveset is, hence why Timid nature is used.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've used a pretty similar set and I must say it kicked a surprising amount of ass. The only real difference is that I used Grass Knot over Leaf Storm for the staying power. I mean situations are going to arise where you're forced to use Leaf Storm and are met with a Heatran or something and become unable to KO it. Obviously if you're looking for the raw power then Leaf Storm is definitely the way to go, but I just think Grass Knot should be listed as a 2nd option for those people who don't want to be forced to switch in and out.

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This Celebi's purpose is to hurt as much of the standard metagame as possible.
I'd rephrase this sentence as

"This set's purpose is to deal as much damage as possible to the opposition, unlike most of the other Celebi sets, which are primarily used defensively."

Only Heatran and Houndoom resist the Hidden Power Fire set.
A little awkward, as you aren't proposing a Hidden Power Fire set. I'd change it to

"Only Heatran and Houndoom resist the attacking combination of Fire + Grass + Psychic."

Recover is on the set to heal off residual Life Orb recoil damage, as Celebi will have many opportunities to heal in battle due to its useful Fighting and Ground resists.
Change "resists" to "resistances".

Hidden Power Ground can be used to deal damage to Fire Pokemon switching in on Celebi, like Heatran, Houndoom, Infernape and Arcanine.
Remove Infernape from this list, as it is hit harder by Psychic.

319 Speed allows Celebi to always outspeed and KO Lucario, Roserade, Porygon-Z, and Electivire. It also allows Celebi to deal massive damage to Adamant (Yache Berry) Garchomp (who would otherwise outspeed a Modest Celebi) with Leaf Storm.</p>
You should add ", unless they hold a Choice Scarf" after "Electivire". Adding "(Yache Berry)" after "Adamant" isn't necessary as Celebi will outspeed Adamant Garchomps not holding a Yache Berry as well. In fact, I would just rephrase the last sentence (which sounds sort of confusing and awkward) as

"It also allows Celebi to outspeed Adamant Garchomp, dealing massive damage with Leaf Storm."

As for Leftovers, this particular Celebi set is not meant to take hits anyway.</p>
Rephrase to

"Leftovers isn't a suggested item because this set isn't meant to take hits anyways."

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
This post is for jrrrrrrr's and Aldaron's purposes...

Delete this one, it's already expressed reasonably on the site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)