DP Rest + Sleep Talk Heatran

Gouki

nice times all the times
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Past SPL Champion
While there is already a Rest + Sleep Talk set in the analysis, it is given a pretty short description, and I feel that this EV spread is more effective.

[SET]
name: Rest + Sleep Talk
move 1: Lava Plume
move 2: Earth Power / Dragon Pulse
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
ability: Flash Fire
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 56 SpA / 200 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p> With its sky high special attack stat coupled with a strong offensive movepool, Heatran's excellent 91 / 106 / 106 defenses and very useful resistances are often overlooked. This set makes Heatran a fantastic status absorber, as well as a very solid special wall. </p>

<p> Lava Plume is a great move on this set, as the 30% burn rate further adds to its survivability, and also discourages Gyarados from freely switching in on it. Earth Power keeps other Fire-types from walling you, and provides the Fire / Ground attacking combo that is resisted by very few Pokemon. The Special Defense drop also allows you to outstall other walls, such as Blissey, 1 on 1. If you don't care about hitting opposing Heatrans, Dragon Pulse is a viable option, as it gives good coverage while also hitting the dragons that resist your main form of attack. It should be noted that Lava Plume's burn rate should already make physical attacking dragons think twice before switching in on Heatran. </p>

<p> Life Orb recoil may seem unwelcome on a set that is meant to take hits, but being able to Rest off the recoil damage makes it a solid alternative to Leftovers.</p>

[Other Options]
<p> For the Rest + Sleep Talk set, Shed Shell is only useful against Dugtrio, and the odd Hidden Power Ground Magnezone, but can be used if you absolutely need to keep Heatran alive. Hidden Power Electric is a viable choice in the second slot, as it will OHKO Gyarados if Stealth Rock is out, and puts a large dent into any Water-type not immune to it. </p>

[EVs]
<p> On the Rest + Sleep Talker, you can put more emphasis on speed, with the drawback of losing a lot of durability in the process. 128 EVs give you 222 speed, enough to outspeed Adamant Tyranitar, although you really shouldn't be staying in on it unless it's at low health anyway. Adding just 8 SpD Evs onto the given EV spread allows you to survive a Life Orb boosted Hidden Power ground from Modest Yanmega, although you lose the ability to OHKO 252 HP, 252 Def Skarmory. </p>

Please point out anything I have missed, as well as general feedback.

Nice idea, but may I suggest Hp electric in the second slot, since I find gyarados a common switch in, and it punishes other waters.
:)

You forgot to mention Gastrodon and Whiscash as Pokemon who aren't dented by Hidden Power Electric in the Other Options.

Lava Plume is a great move on this set, as the 30% burn rate further adds to its survivability, and also discourages Gyarados from freely switching in on it. Earth Power keeps other fire types from walling you, and
Capitalize Fire. There's supposed to be a hyphen in between Fire and types, as well.

For the Rest + Sleep Talk set, Shed Shell is only useful against Dugtrio, but
I've occasionally heard of HP Ground Magnezones, haven't actually seen any but you could say "against Dugtrio and the rare HP Ground Magnezone", or something like that.

Regarding the line where you state Heatran is a fantastic status absorber, I might suggest that you should be careful about absorbing status from certain opponents, as quite a few common status users commonly carry moves that wreck Heatran (Gengar w/ Focus Blast, Milotic w/ Surf, Breloom with Focus Punch). This is somewhat of a nitpick, but eh.

Counter Guardian, do not "stealth bump", I can see your deleted posts. This is your first and only warning.

Before I add this, what does Modest and 48 SpA EVs do (with and without Life Orb)? I've been using maxed out HP and Special Defense instead and it works fine.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Phuquoph*: Without Life Orb, 48 SpA gives you a guarentee 1HKO on the standard Skarmory (taking out 334 HP for minimum damage). Don't know about Life Orb though.

Gouki:

[SET]
name: Rest + Sleep Talk
move 1: Lava Plume
move 2: Earth Power / Dragon Pulse
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
item: Leftovers
ability: Flash Fire
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 48 SpA / 208 SpD

Life Orb isn't needed on a defensive Sleep Talking Heatran. As Phuquoph has asked, what help does it make?

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> Lava Plume is a great move on this set, as the 30% burn rate further adds to its survivability and also discourages Gyarados from freely switching in on it. Earth Power keeps other Fire-types from walling you, and provides the Fire / Ground attacking combo which is resisted by very few Pokemon.
It didn't make much sense by just saying 'provides the Fire / Ground attacking combo resisted by very few'.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Without Life Orb, this Heatran actually needs 56 Special Attack EVs to OHKO the standard Skarmory. Metalkid's calculator tends to overshoot damage.

Calm Nature could also works nicely in place of Modest. If you can spare the burn rate of Lava Plume (Such as on a team with TS), with the 56 EVs suggested, Calm Heatran will also ohko Skarmory with Flamethrower and 56 EVs allows Heatran to ohko other Heatrans that are running 0/0 spreads on the defensive end and also has a fair shot if they are running the Standard spread of 40 HP /252 SpAtk /216 Spe. Also with Calm you can always live through a ScarfTrans Earthpower, unlike Modest. 269 STABed Surfs also fail to 2hko, just for all of those water pogeys that run to ohko Garchomp, again the Modest version can be 2hkoed by those same Surfs. Not completely sure but it sounds like it could work; not as powerful but the extra defense seems like it can be helpful.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
It's nice to be able to survive Surfs, but it's actually quite pointless considering that this Heatran can't actually do anything back. Most specially based Waters have recovery moves (Suicune/Rest, Starmie/Recover, Milotic/Recover, Vaporeon/Wish), and Swampert OHKOs with Earthquake anyways.

30% burn rate further adds to its survivability, supports its team, and prevents . . .
A minor addition but worth mentioning.

It's also probably not worth mentioning being able to outspeed something that you usually shouldn't stay in on.

I presume you won't lose the ability to OHKO Skarm but the guarantee although I may be wrong. It should probably be referred to as 252/0 HP/SpD Skarm since it's Def EVs are irrelevant.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
HP Ground Magnezone doesn't really warrant mention. I've never seen one, it can't switch in unless it predicts Rest, and most importantly, you don't learn that it has HP Ground until after it uses it (meaning after you've taken the hit). Either way you aren't OHKOed and I believe you OHKO back.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
this post is for jrrrrrrr's and Aldaron's purposes...

site represents OP so thread can be deleted

would like to mention that OP's spread is better than the site's though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)