Tournament DPL 6: Manager signups

Status
Not open for further replies.

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
dpl-logo-2020-melmetal.png

How does DPL work?

There will be 6 teams, each with their own captain. Captains will do a snake draft on Pokemon Showdown, where they will take turns nominating and bidding in an auction for players who signed up to assemble their teams with limited credits available. The teams will then play one another for 5 weeks, with a new opponent each week. This will culminate with a Playoffs week consisting of the Top 3 teams overall (first seed gets a bye) from the 5-week main season.

How does one signup as a player?

Player signups will begin later, and will run until the draft. Watch the forum for the thread to sign up.

How does one signup as a Captain?

To sign up as a captain, post in this thread with the following information and fill out the questionnaire below. Posts in this thread other than manager signups will be deleted and possibly infracted. Signups will be open until Sunday, March 29th at 11:59 PM Eastern time.

NOTE: If you would like to use the Hoenn Heroes artwork and team name, please contact me!

Name:
Timezone:

Questionnaire:
1. If you were to create a new team for DPL, what would be its name and mascot? If you have artwork, please post it!
2. Why do you love DUU?
3. Do you ever feel, like a plastic bag?
4. Why should you be chosen to be a captain in DPL?

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Name: talkingtree
Timezone: US Central / CDT / GMT-5

Questionnaire:
1. If you were to create a new team for DPL, what would be its name and mascot? If you have artwork, please post it!
Twinleaf Mutant Ninja Squirtles

2. Why do you love DUU?
Underutilized Pokemon get a chance to shine, and the ability to build in an unexplored metagame becomes incredibly important. Also, I can often get away with using trash mons like THE URCHIN (Pincurchin is good I swear)

No, this is Patrick

I would love to be able to redeem last year's performance. I think my team had a lot of fun during the tour, even with a poor showing, and I enjoy being able to help people succeed. So, even if we don't end up being the best team, making DPL a positive experience for more people is a big prize for me. Now that I've had my freakout moment of not knowing how to keep a draft going when my first plan goes out the window, I think I'd be a bit more prepared.

Name: AuraRayquaza
Timezone: GMT+0

Questionnaire:
My team would be called the Great Marsh Epic Gamers with Marshadow as its mascot. If that won't run, then I would like to manage the Mikan Island Monsters again.
2. Why do you love DUU?
I feel obliged to given it's the only Smogon format I've won money from. Also Kommo-o meta in gen 7 was easily some of the most fun pokemon I've ever played.
I have taken to wearing one kind of like a facemask when I go outside recently but otherwise no, I can't say I do.
Last year I was given the opportunity to manage and I had a great time doing so. Apart from my quite shambolic draft I felt like I didn't do such a bad job of managing and my team ended up finishing 2nd last DPL, a result I was really happy with (although I felt like we could've won). On the topic of drafting, I have given a lot of thought to what went wrong and have gained experience drafting teams since then. I actually drafted a tournament winning team in the very prestigious Wacka World Tour even though I wasn't supposed to be a manager. DPL is always one of the best events of the year in DOU and I would love to be given the chance to manage again and go one step further.

Name: KyleCole
Timezone: EST

Questionnaire:
GHOSTERS.png

2. Why do you love DUU?
What's not to love? My perfect first date is curling up with a squad of fullroom and waiting 30 minutes to play against bullet seed cinccino + mudsdale. For dessert we can spend twenty seconds reading 4 months of forum contributions then count how many "no DUU in DPL" posts n10siT has liked and thus betrayed his lover LDM.

No, but after getting 6-0d by stax i wanted to wear one as a hat

Revenge. Way way back in the old days of DPL 2 I captained a team that managed to get all of the way to finals. We were vanquished in tiebreaks by Stratos's nefarious gang of luckers, and the fires of embarrassment prickle my stomach to this day. Cards on the table, this one is for all the marbles. Go big or go home. Shape up or ship out. Other expressions. I pledge that if I get a team I will use all of my passion, spreadsheet ability, and charm to bring home the gold medal. Go Ghosters!

Last edited:

kaori

Fully Automated Gay Space Communism
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
DPL Champion
Rustboro Baptist Church in again to spread love and tolerance
1584483050571.png

2. Why do you love DUU?
it is neat
DRIFTING THROUGH THE WINDDD, WAITING TO START AGAINNNN
nobody is as committed to gender diversity in drafting as i am

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
1584486963343.png

2. Why do you love DUU?
Its fun

no

While Bowman and Aray spent a combined 11k on P2, eternal spirit and Finch who combined had a record of zero wins and zero loses, I was pushing for Kichii and Sunrose to be drafted. See, I actually play in room tours and engage with new players on PS. While most/all everyone else signing up for captian doesn't; they stick to their discords and wounder why tour participation is in decline.
I'll be a good captain because I draft who deserves to be drafted, I engage with the bad players as much as I engage with the good ones, and I'm an exponentially better player now than when I was 4 years ago when I lead the Hippos to what would be now playoffs. Tons of people have been pushing for me to manage again, and its not a joke, its for real and good reasons.
And if for some reason you're salty because I called you or your friend a bad manager, swallow your pride and listen to the GOAT Arcticblast

I was campaigning hard for n1n1 to manage last year and it actually worked out very well in the end, he was as good of a manager as I could have had in DPL (and probably a better one than I could be if I'm gonna be honest!). Just because a lot of people disagree with him doesn't make him a bad person and it doesn't mean he's not a good pick for a team captain

source:https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/doubles-ou-aesthetic-thread.3599034/#post-7287935

Last edited:

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Timezone: GMT-5

six-island-shitposters.png

2. Why do you love DUU?

Finely honed reflexes mean I have never lost a game of Nose Goes

I prefer Ke$ha

I'm an extreme tryhard in DPL. All four of the teams I've supported (DPL2 shitposters, DPL3 jams, DPL4 jams, DPL5 monsters) in canon DPLs have made playoffs, and the one time I managed, my team won. I think I have what it takes to be a good manager.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Name: Memoric
Timezone: +8

Questionnaire:
1. If you were to create a new team for DPL, what would be its name and mascot?

2. Why do you love DUU?

I like it because it's bullshit lmfao the set of mons for duu are typically wack and i suppose that's the appeal of it

Considering I live in the 3rd world, feeling like a plastic bag is something I do to raise my self esteem so yes

I think I got what it takes to make this tournament a smooth, fun, and competitive experience for my guys. I already have managing experience in the past as well as have been a player in other tours; I'd love to say that, as the times have passed, I'd know what it takes to build a good environment for a team. I view this tour as something more of a for-funsies one that brings people together, and in that vein I love how it's a great platform for integrating new guys. I think I have both the eye for talent as well as the skill, both manager- and Pokemon-wise, to do the captain position justice.

Last edited:

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Name: MajorBowman
Timezone: US Central / GMT -5

Questionnaire:

2. Why do you love DUU?

TSAREENA

No I just feel like shit

I had a great time managing last year and I think I did a pretty good job. Draft planning is something I find super interesting and I have plenty of experience in all of the tiers included in the tournament. I've proven myself as a player and would love another chance to prove myself as a manager.

Shadowmonstr7

MUDA MUDA MUDA
Name: Shadowmonstr4
Timezone: US Central (GMT-5)

Questionaire
1584557122671.png

2. Why do you love DUU?

Because fat Pikachu is good there :pikoh:

Almost 99% of the mass of the human body is made up of six elements: oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus. Plastic is predominantly made as a by-product of the fractional distillation of crude oil. Oil is a hydrocarbon, so it contains the elements carbon and hydrogen. Therefore plastic bags are made of carbon and hydrogen, and humans are made of hydrogen and carbon. Scientifically speaking, all humans feel a bit like plastic bags.

Presumably this tournament will be half SS DOU, which is a format that I have proven myself in. I have qualified for DLT and am currently in the winners bracket semifinals of the format's first seasonal. I have assisted several teams in other team tours in the past and have experience hosting smogon tournaments. I am confident that I would make a good manager.

Attachments

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Name: Arcticblast
Timezone: EDT (GMT -5? -4? fuck daylight savings dude I'm east coast USA)

Questionnaire:
SANTALUNE STORMS
all of the art is on my old laptop and I'm away from it for a while please forgive me

2. Why do you love DUU?
Because I know DUU loves me

The comma after "feel" intrigues me. If we assume that a plastic bag can feel (in order to make the question work), what does a plastic bag feel? Do they feel sadness at being left to the wind after they're used? Do they feel regret about choking out the environment? Do they feel elation at helping someone carry things home? I only feel sadness, frustration, and manic excitement so I'm not sure if we line up.

I really want to manage again, despite being busy I genuinely missed it last year. DPL is my favorite time of year but I suck at playing Pokemon so I can at least manage a team well enough!

In as the Captain.
I know this doubles community and meta game over the past year as good as anyone; thus having the knowledge to assemble a top tier team of doubles battlers across all metas
I am quite sick of the way a particular not so secret group has so much influence and power over our community. I expect some of them will be team captains.
As a team Captain I will lead my group of battlers with integrity and honor. No other team will possess the comradery and respect that my team will. I am the only one with the leadership, the determination, dedication, and capibility to bring these attributes to a team and upset the status quo.

FloristtheBudew

I'm just tired
Name: FloristtheBudew
Timezone: GMT +11 OCE

Questionnaire:
Lentimas Shaymins.
Lentimas_Shaymins_Placeholder (1).png

2. Why do you love DUU?
I don't
If choking the oceans when I go into the sea is what you mean. No
Been in the community for a while now. While I may have alternate thoughts on what I think is strong for a team. I try my best to help people out when I can still :)

Last edited:

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to say this was a tough decision. I gave each sign up equal merit, and no matter how I made the selections, somebody is going to be let down. It doesn't necessarily mean you didn't deserve to be a manager - there are just only so many slots. I stand by my decisions, but if you would like an explanation of any sort please feel free to contact me. With that said, here are your 6 managers for DPL 6!

talkingtree - Twinleaf Mutant Ninja Squirtles
KyleCole - Galar Ghosters
kaori - Rustboro Baptist Church
Stratos - Six Island Shitposters
MajorBowman - Oreburgh Ancients
Arcticblast - Santalune Storms

Sign up to play in DPL 6 here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/doubles-premier-league-6-player-signups.3661585/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)