Old Gens DPP Flygon

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
:dp/flygon:

Flygon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Roost

Life Orb Flygon is a strong and durable mixed wallbreaker that finds plenty of opportunities to attack and is very hard to prepare for. Flygon's combination of Earthquake and Draco Meteor is very difficult to switch into; Earthquake lets it power through Pokemon like Heatran and Tyranitar that are normally expected to switch into Draco Meteor. Fire Blast torches Skarmory and Bronzong, both of which are immune to Earthquake and resist Draco Meteor. Roost lets Flygon recover off Life Orb recoil, helping it safely switch into Pokemon such as Heatran and Rotom as long as they don't catch it on the switch with Hidden Power Ice. Flygon's great Speed tier, immunity to Spikes and Ground-type attacks, and useful typing give it plenty of opportunities to come into battle and start wearing down defensive sponges such as Suicune and Swampert. While Life Orb Flygon does a lot of damage to them, the combination of Draco Meteor and Earthquake fails to OHKO them without support. Spikes support from Roserade or Skarmory can help accomplish this goal, particularly alongside Stealth Rock, and adding a spinblocker like Rotom or Gengar makes it easier to secure the chip damage Flygon needs.

Last edited:
:dp/flygon:

Flygon @ Life Orb
Mild Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Roost

Bearing an eerie similarity to the cicadas that have seemingly popped up everywhere this summer, Mixed Flygon is just as annoying for teams that lack its few checks. Flygon takes advantage of teams that rely on specially defensive sponges like Heatran or Tyranitar to switch into Draco Meteors, since a Life Orb and STAB-boosted Earthquake sends them packing I don't know if I would phrase this like that - it doesn't exactly "take advantage" of teams whose answers to Draco Meteors are (naturally) steel-types and Tyranitar, could just say that Draco Meteor + EQ is just a combo that is really hard to switch into. Fire Blast completes its excellent coverage, preventing Skarmory and Bronzong, Steel-types immune to Earthquake, from sending Flygon packing. Roost lets it recover off Life Orb recoil to more reliably break through teams and also gives it defensive utility, letting it check Pokemon such as Heatran and Rotom as long as they don't catch it on the switch with a Hidden Power Ice Could specify Lava Plume / Defensive Will-O-Wisp Rotom especially are huge, and Mixed Flygon is able to take advantage of both of those sets. Due to the existence of its common Choice Scarf set, Flygon finds plenty of opportunities to force switches into defensive sponges such as Suicune and Swampert which could take that set's Earthquake or U-turn but are severely damaged by a Life Orb-boosted Draco Meteor. While Life Orb Flygon does a lot of damage to these threats, the combination of Draco Meteor and Earthquake does not reliably (I would rephrase "not reliably" to something like it usually comes short) KO them without support. Spikes support from Roserade or Skarmory can help accomplish this goal, particularly alongside the omnipresent Stealth Rock, and adding a spinblocker like Choice Scarf Rotom or Gengar makes it easier to force the chip damage Flygon wants.
I think you should also specify somewhere that Flygon's typing + Levitate (immunity to all hazards, resists SR, immune to Sand) as well as its Speedtier is what makes it such a good and potent wallbreaker, even harder to handle as opposed to something like Mixed Dnite.

Consider it QC 1/1 afterwards

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Add Remove Comments
Be careful with the fluff, we want Spotlights to be concise and to the point. Try to maintain the 1,000 character limit.

GP 1/1

Hu_Tao_Stamp.gif

Flygon @ Life Orb
Mild Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Roost

Bearing an eerie similarity to the cicadas that have seemingly popped up everywhere this summer, Mixed Flygon is just as annoying for teams that lack its few checks Flygon serves as an annoying mixed wallbreaker against teams that aren't prepared for it. Flygon's combination of Earthquake and Draco Meteor is very difficult to switch into; Earthquake lets it power through traditional Draco Meteor answers like Heatran or Tyranitar to switch into Draco Meteors, since a Life Orb and STAB-boosted Earthquake sends them packing Pokemon like Heatran and Tyranitar that are normally able to switch into Draco Meteor. Fire Blast completes its excellent coverage, preventing prevents Skarmory and Bronzong, Steel-types which are immune to Earthquake, from sending Flygon packing. Roost lets it recover off Life Orb recoil to more reliably break through teams and also gives it defensive utility, letting it take advantage of Pokemon such as Heatran and Rotom as long as they don't catch it on the switch with a Hidden Power Ice. Its Flygon's great Speed tier, immunity to Spikes and Ground-type attacks, and useful typing give it plenty of opportunities to come into battle; once it does, it can begin to wear down defensive sponges such as Suicune and Swampert. While Life Orb Flygon does a lot of damage to these threats, the combination of Draco Meteor and Earthquake usually fails to OHKO them without support. Spikes support from Roserade or Skarmory can help accomplish this goal, particularly alongside the omnipresent Stealth Rock, and adding a spinblocker like Choice Scarf Rotom or Gengar makes it easier to force the chip damage Flygon wants.

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
thank you deetah! I thought spotlights were able to be more loosely written, but I'm happy to fix the informality that was in it. I made a good amount of changes to it and it's now under 1000 characters (excluding spaces, 1186 with them). Tagging in case you want to look it over it again

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Yeah since you made a lot of changes I'll look it over again. Looks good after this! :blobthumbsup: Also yeah they can be more loosely written and have some silly parts, but it should still stay under 1,000 characters when possible. If it's over we have to start cutting some parts out that aren't necessary.

Life Orb Flygon is a strong and durable mixed wallbreaker that finds plenty of opportunities to attack and is very hard to prepare for. Flygon's combination of Earthquake and Draco Meteor is very difficult to switch into; Earthquake lets it power through Pokemon like Heatran and Tyranitar that are normally expected to switch into Draco Meteor. Fire Blast torches Skarmory and Bronzong, the two Pokemon that resist both of which are immune to Earthquake and resist Draco Meteor. Roost lets Flygon recover off Life Orb recoil, helping it safely switch into Pokemon such as Heatran and Rotom as long as they don't catch it on the switch with Hidden Power Ice. Flygon's great Speed tier, immunity to Spikes and Ground-type attacks, and useful typing give it plenty of opportunities to come into battle and start wearing down defensive sponges such as Suicune and Swampert. While Life Orb Flygon does a lot of damage to them, the combination of Draco Meteor and Earthquake fails to OHKO them without support. Spikes support from Roserade or Skarmory can help accomplish this goal, particularly alongside Stealth Rock, and adding a spinblocker like Rotom or Gengar makes it easier to secure the chip damage Flygon needs.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)