Gen 4 DPP OU RMT : Mississippi Queen

Hello Smogon, this is my first ever post on here (that actually could mean anything) so I figured I would do an RMT of a team I was thinking of doing from the DPP-Discord. The specific idea came from Cubic Skunk when he mentioned a SD Celebi set he saw in a SPL game, specifically a set that came from Kristyl so shout outs to them. Cubic made a build, I looked at it, tested it once, and decided I wanted to try and make the team better, mostly to see if I could do it and this is what I came up with in the process. I have not tested it as much as I should perhaps, but from what I have gotten the team has the potential to capitalize.

Teambuilding Process

:celebi:+:magnezone:

To start things off, I think Celebi as your setup mon requires you to run a team that hates steel type, and of course the elephants in the room would be skarmory, jirachi, heatran, bronzong, scizor, and other magnezones. Magnezone becomes that much more important to trap and eliminate these steels or cripple them as much as possible.

:celebi:+:magnezone:+:hippowdon:+:clefable:

I debated what to put here next, as I feel gliscor and ttar could fit the spot of hippo and provide more edge to the team (badum tiss) but I found the sponging of Hippo comes as quite the handy resource as it can snack pretty much any physical attack unassisted or +1 in the current meta right now baring a crit or explosion and even then this fat fuck can stomach boom off certain mons. I like it as a lead too, as even if you open vs say an aero or whatever setup shit they have, there are only two lead mons I consider to be a shitty lead mu. Clef in the meanwhile is growing in popularity and it's not hard to see why, magic guard for the setup, chews through stall with cm sets or toss sets, and generally is an amazing check to certain meta threats such as mixedgon.

:celebi:+:magnezone:+:hippowdon:+:clefable:+:milotic:+:heracross:

The last two slots I pondered on the longest, and eventually came to these decisions. Milotic is your toxapex of the gen, it lives forever, chips things out, heals up, haze on the setup sweepers, it is a very very good mon and perhaps the best water to fit on this team. I believe the others have too many conflicting parts for me to consider them or be happy with on the team, but I will talk about that in the breakdown. As for Heracross...its not a meme I swear. I looked at my team and decided I wanted another mon that could act as a revenge killer. Looking at the options, perhaps Flygon is a better choice, and you could easily run that, but my choice was a fighting type, and I personally didn't like any of the other choices, so we venture to the land of uubl, and that is how Heracross ended up on this team, which surprisingly is very good in the meta. This team chips things out so much that going into heracross and picking up a kill or smashing into the check and picking up check is quite nice, especially when you have your fat shit to go back into

The Team

:dp/hippowdon:
Louisiana Way (Hippowdon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 244 HP / 220 Def / 44 SpD
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar

- Hippowdon is the lead choice here for a couple reasons: 1 he can live most hits and importantly is not paralyzed by t-wave jirachi, which for some reason a lot of people love doing this. As for the living hits, it can take a lot of hits, or just any, for that matter, along with this is snores in the face of lead dd mons, roars them or spits up rocks except if, ya know, they are running taunt by chance in which case you gtfo. The spread is pretty standard, I think if you wanted to do 248/252/8 then it would be just as fine as well, just the small little push in spedef lets it live a couple other hits it might not. There is not much to go in depth with about this mon, hippo is just the dmg sponge, designed to take a licking and keep on vomiting rocks on the board.

:dp/magnezone:
Vicksburg (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic/Explosion

- Mag is needed, and I would not change one thing about this set except maybe making it Hp ground, but you have other mons to deal with Tran and other mons that ground would hit, so I settled on this. It is a very standard set but it becomes so important for this team in getting rid of the mentioned steels such as skarmory and co. Removing these threats and smoothing things over for the team in the long run goes a long way. I think only a handful of steels really don't care about mags attacks, which is where the t-wave comes in. It cripples the spedef jirachis along with any other switch, making other mons that shed shell skarm would go into unsafe, doubled by the last slot of boom or toxic, which makes trying to switch around this thing a lot tougher.

:dp/clefable:
better on wine (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Encore
- Seismic Toss
- Knock Off

- I think this atm is the best Clef set besides the one that you see on stall teams or the para one, so I guess the 3rd best set. Either way, this set is bitch made and came from the pits of hell. Ruins setup if they think they can dance in this guys face, claps the offensive mons that would normally abuse coming in and cripples them. Of note it gets rid of scarfs of revenge killers or leftovers of stall mons. S-Toss + Encore is a killer to stall as well, or certain mons, as you lock the mons into a move that will do piss all to clef and either force the switch to let it get sacked, as for some reason Encore just lasts forever, or feels like it at least, which makes knock off more free to spam.

:dp/celebi:
Mississippi Queen (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 240 Atk / 38 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Recover

- The mascot, the center of the team, and SD Celebi is just..ok in my opinion. The set you see here though is most likely the best it gets, with these 4 moves and the spread being made to be faster than ttar. Sucker Punch catches things like azelf, latias, gengar, rotoms (if need be), and snipes them out of oblivion. The other 3 moves are self explanatory. I also use a much different spread than the one provided, as a magician does not reveal all of his trick just yet, though if you do wish to edit the spread I believe you can add some spread from the attack to wherever else you wish to add it. The mons seed bomb and sucker punch hit are usually not able to take the hits, so having that much attack usually isn't needed unless you wish to watch the world to be blown into oblivion by a pyrotechnic celebi.

:dp/milotic:
cajun lady (Milotic) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 8 SpA / 28 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Haze
- Surf
- Ice Beam/Toxic/Hp-Electric

- This mon is quite a weird choice, I understand that, as there are much better water types within the ou metagame. Milo in particular however is bulky, mono-water, and can click recover, all while being able to haze, which is the only job you really need it to fill. I called this mon the toxapex of the team as it is her to sponge the hit, wait for its check to come and gtfo. I think other water types while are better, also conflict with the team more than I wish for them to. Suicune is the only other option in my opinion take this spot, or maybe Gyrados as both could fill different roles, with cune being the most similar in what it shares with milo. Empoleon might also be an option, though I would need to look into this further before I come to a decisive conclusion, so for now it is Milo which fits the bulk and recovery that I was looking for.

:dp/heracross:
beg your pardon (Heracross) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Guts
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Night Slash/Pursuit

- Ah yes, the moment you saw this mon on the team you probably took this as a joke...anyway heracross provides a lot for the team in my eyes. One it can come in on earthquakes which is otherwise very spammable by the opponent besides Celebi, which is your offensive threat here not your defensive one. On top of this, the mon provides a good amount of coverage that you could struggle against otherwise, aka grass types, which if you have noticed there is no amazing way to deal with them and that does not just get pummeled by eq. Nape only fits certain teams so that cut it, and Lucario I also felt did not fit this style of team, though I could be wrong. This leaves two picks, Heracross and Machamp, and wanting to do things a tad different I picked a mon that could do more of what I wanted. Break through grasses, revenge kill +1 dd setup mons, and put dents of chips into the switch.

breloom: spore + any fighting move is deadly, and yes while you can go into the celebi and her across which cannot be beaten in the 1v1 without sleep, the fact this mon exists applies so much pressure already just by showing up on the field for the other 4 members of your team.

Machamp: same line of reasoning, except this time no guard stab just getting flung into any mon is a pain

spikes: you have no spinner, and while your team may not mind rocks too much, spikes going up especially in multiples racks up

Zapdos: there is no amazing way to deal with a para set cleanly, as the para spam stuff can get quite problematic for the team, though that is any team, but with Zapdos it becomes quite more of an issue especially if they have toxic or hp ice which can easily chip out a switch in

Taunt Leads/Taunt Gyrados: for the taunt leads its not too bad, though can shut shit down quickly on your team...gyrados with taunt you click X

Louisiana Way (Hippowdon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 244 HP / 220 Def / 44 SpD
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar

Vicksburg (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic

better on wine (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Encore
- Seismic Toss
- Knock Off

Mississippi Queen (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 120 Atk / 28 Def / 84 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Recover

cajun lady (Milotic) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 8 SpA / 28 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Haze
- Surf
- Ice Beam

beg your pardon (Heracross) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Guts
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Night Slash

Shoutouts to everyone who helped me out with this, I look forward to making many more RMTs and sharing them with you guys :>

-P J B

2 lazy to do a full explanation, but atm im looking at a team 6-0'd by a lotta the common breakers in the tier. stuff like lucario, ho, calm mind/trick latis, literally any offensive core p much. u turn cores or just teams that pick up momentum hit hard against u, and wyd vs hard breakers, as said before, like lucario, gengar, fernape, dnite, etc. the team also looks very defensive for this offensive of a meta, u just get outpaced and ur breakers dont really do much to be frank. ur whole shits walled by gliscor...

Jeong

Banned deucer.
nice team.

just one thing, do you really rent that set at Celebi? Taking into account the bpass ban and the team style I don't see it very useful. I understand that it is a bit the base of the team, but maybe a more defensive set with a better result. Seeing as you're running a zone: uturn Celebi + zone is interesting, as you can scout things like Forre, Scizor, and Skarm, which are some of Celebi's threats.

Reactions: PJB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)