SS NU Dreamcrusher [2,364th post celebration]

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader

Because I didn't make a 2k post thread despite the efforts of some to get me to.

However, I do think I should make another RMT post just to share a team that's given me success on the ladder. My main is sitting at around 1500 ELO currently, and this team has worked pretty well. While many people think of Aurora Veil or even Sticky Web to a lesser degree when considering straight offense in NU, I decided to take a page out of Mariannabelle's book and build with Ninjask. I really haven't been very high on this Pokemon at any point this generation; it's walled by a shit ton of common Pokemon and as a result fails to make an impact much of the time. Using this team definitely reaffirmed my beliefs, but I do think I've been a bit too hard on Ninjask. It's pretty good at, at the very least, forcing damage on checks and generating momentum fairly easily. Supporting it definitely takes a fair bit of effort, and there are probably some changes that could be made to this team to make it less reliant on being better than your opponent to consistently catch wins. Regardless, I think anyone that enjoys piloting aggressive offense builds would have fun with this team, so I guess we can get into it now.

Also, another song from Unleash the Archers. I picked "Dreamcrusher" because this team crushed the dreams of several ladderers. :)

The Team

:ss/Ninjask:
Ninjask
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Protect

I always hate writing descriptions for these really obvious Pokemon because there really is never much interesting to say. Ninjask certainly falls under this category; all it really does is use U-turn a lot early-game (sometimes after an Acrobatics or Swords Dance, wow) to keep momentum up and get bits of chip damage on checks such as Rotom-S, Rotom, and Silvally-Steel. It's also helpful to have Protect on an offense team such as this one; scouting foes out is just super beneficial and makes it less of a task to figure out how to play around certain Pokemon. While some people think Heavy-Duty Boots sets are good on the bee, I don't really see a reason to opt for lower damage output; I guess it'd open up some building flexibility, but I find having the most potential to clean late-game with a strong Acrobatics is worth the strain on the building process.

:ss/Hattrem:
Hattrem (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Nuzzle
- Healing Wish

Magic Bounce is such a killer utility option on offense builds. Having to spend a turn removing entry hazards SUCKS because you never want to give up momentum to the other player, and being able to deny them just by having Hattrem on the team is cool.

Hattrem is an interesting case in NU, having been a mainstay in the earlier weather-based offenses that ravaged NUPL this year and still cropping up a bit lately. The combination of Nuzzle + Healing Wish definitely has given this Pokemon a great presence; paralysis support is appreciated by essentially any offense team, slowing down the opposition so your breakers can go to town more effectively, while Healing Wish gives them a second lease on life. It's especially helpful on this team given Rotom and Piloswine are both prone to getting weakened early- and mid-game while breaking and are also relied on a fair bit to take attacks.

:ss/Silvally-Dark:
Silvally-Dark @ Dark Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- U-turn
- Defog

Ghost-types are pain. Silvally-Dark makes them less pain. Like, it still isn't stopping them by any means---Gourgeist-S and Decidueye are still scary as hell---but it helps prevent them from freely switching in and breaking at least, so that counts for something.

This set is one that has been seeing a bit more usage lately, and in my eyes it's the best current Silvally-Dark set. It compresses a HELL of a lot of utility, providing crucial Defog support for the bee and pivot support to get it or one of the breakers in. It's particularly helpful here because Toxicroak is a verified danger Pokemon, and Silvally-Dark can fairly consistently draw it in, pivot out, and bring in something that taps it on the head.

:ss/Rotom:
Rotom @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Choice Specs Rotom has maybe lost a little bit of its luster since we got Decidueye, which is a much stronger breaker, but I find its stronger pivoting and Speed tier as extremely desirable. Instead of something like Skuntank coming in and taking -3% from U-turn, it takes like, over half? from Volt Switch. Furthermore, Trick is a broken move. Getting to cripple checks like Clefairy and Galarian Stunfisk for the remainder of the game is so nice, the latter of which also being a problem Pokemon for Ninjask. It also adds another component to the heavy VoltTurn aspect of this team, keeping opponents trapped in the vortex from hell for the duration of the battle. Fun stuff.

:ss/Piloswine:
Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Toxic

Piloswine is quite literally the de facto Stealth Rock setter on offense, and it's arguably the best setter in the entire tier. It compresses an immense amount of valuable traits: priority, Swords Dance Silvally check, wallbreaker, etc.. I went for Toxic on this Piloswine, and while I think Superpower and Icicle Crash would both be fine options too, I appreciate Toxic's ability to cripple troublesome foes like Avalugg, Quagsire, and Wishiwashi. It's just really helpful for opening up Ninjask's late-game.

:ss/Basculin-Blue-Striped:
Basculin-Blue-Striped @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flip Turn
- Liquidation
- Psychic Fangs
- Superpower

Choice Scarf Basculin is a set that's picked up a lot lately---Basculin in general has for what it's worth---and it has proven its worth here. Another core member of the VoltTurn core, Basculin is effective at drawing in foes like Wishiwashi and Eldegoss that another member of the vortex squad can handle. It's also really helpful to have another soft check to Rapidash, because while some combination of Piloswine and Ninjask could probably handle it, the insurance is helpful.

This slot was once a Choice Scarf Flapple; I then realized despite Basculin being as fragile as the ego of a Michael Jordan supporter, not being weak to Ice while still resisting Fire was worth the trade. Also, this is the blue Basculin because he is a CHAD.

Shoutouts
I guess I can mention some people here, although I know someone will be offended at being left off. Cope.
Eternally get a fucking mic you imbecile
rozes despite the shit talk I give you, you're great at what you do. Keep it up :]
Finchinator you always are around to offer a helpful opinion on whatever Smogon-related shit I have and are generally a nice person. Thanks for all you do :]
Jordy a true broski.
martha :poggaroo:
lyd I am going to win this week of CAPPL
The Dutch Plumberjack P Squared thank you both (and martha I GUESS) for trusting me as next GP TL. I will do my best to not be shit :]
A Cake Wearing A Hat Fireflame and you two for helping get me to where I am today in the GP side of things!!
Aeonic happy birthday!!
Kaiju Bunny :^
@ all my nu auth you guys are great at what you do, keep this shit rockin

https://pokepast.es/0670af8f1061e60e here's the import, until next time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)