Drizzle to my rizzle

Hi Smogon people! I decided to make a team around thundurus and latios. I realized that both pokemon can abuse rain pretty good (that big thunder!) so i made a rain team around those 2 pokemons.

Politoed (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 228 Hp / 252 Spa / 30 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- HP grass
Politoed is my rain starter. I put choice specs on politoed so i can make it more offensive, i like to play offensive, that's why there are no walls on this team xD. Also, people won't expect politoed to be choice specs, most politoeds are bulky to take hits. I use surf instead of hydro pump because i have horrible luck, i don't want to miss it and screw myself over. Ice beam is to hit pokemons that can't be hit with surf. Focus blast is for taking out those annoying t-tars. HP grass is to hit other water pokemons that walls my other moves. Choice specs politoed is much better than the other politoed sets.

Toxicroak (M) @ black sludge
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Drain Punch
- Sword Dance
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch
I had to bring this bad boy back to my team. He was the only poke that can take out ferrothorn, well, set up on it. Toxicroak is just a great rain abuser, his dry skin is getting all that water! This poke is usually my late game sweeper, and it works great. It gets to set up on a lot of walls, then it will sweep away!

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunder
- Physhock
- Surf
Latios packs a punch. I need this so i can get an electric resistance since chomp is banned =(. Latios can also abuse rain, while chomp cannot. Latios also has levitate which avoids ground moves for me. Latios gets to learn thunder, which is 100% accuracy in the rain, and 30% para, which is great! Dragon pulse is there for STAB. Surf is to abuse rain even more. Calm mind is to give me a boost if i can get it. Latios will put huge holes on the opponent's team if he isn't ready.

Jirachi @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature (+SpD, -Spa)
- Protect
- Fling
- Arcrobatics
- Earthquake
I realize that having jirachi and ferrothorn on the same team is kinda pointless. So i partner ferrothorn up with a gliscor (recommended by Raikiri) and it worked alright. Ferrothorn can wall the things that threaten gliscor like bulky water pokemons. Gliscor can fling its toxic orb at it's opponent then acrobatic them. It's a nice combo.

Ferrothorn (M) @ leftovers
Trait: Iron barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature (+spD, -spd)
- Power whip
- Stealth rocks
- Gyro ball
- Leech seed
Iconic suggested me to replace toxicroak with ferrothorn, which i did. Ferrothorn was a big help to my team, it wall'ed plenty of pokes and it always set up stealth rocks. This is the standard set to take special attack hits. I also needed something to wall starmie, which is a huge threat to my team since it has a wide move pool. Ferrothorn is great in a rain team, it is x2 weak against fire instead of x4 which is a huge boost since a lot of pokemons carry HP fire to kill ferrothorn.

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
Oh boy, this thing is a monster. A +4 focus blast killed a chansey xD. This guy is my late game sweeper, he does his job well. With a nasty plot up, he is ready to sweep. His moves have amazing coverage. I say his much better than tornadoes, because of that big thunder, 30% of a para. HP ice is there to take out pesky dragons like dragonite and salamence. Focus blast is there to take out tyranitars if they're at a HP where i can KO. I know thundurus will get banned soon, but i love to use him as much as people hate him.

I hope you're not bored to death after reading this, i tried my best. This is my first RMT so please try to be nice. Tell me what i need to improve, thank you.

Ironically, he biggest threat for you is probably other Drizzle teams. In the rain, Life Orb Starmie is going to at least 2HKO everything on your team. Your only 'safe switch' is to lure a Surf onto Toxicroak and scaring it off with Sucker Punch. Unfortunately, Toxicroak absolutely cannot take any other attack, since Thunder, Ice Beam or Psyshock will either do a ton or flat out kill you. I'm really inclined to suggest Ferrothorn in place of Toxicroak. Ferrothorn is a staple on pretty much every rain team because it stops almost all Water-types from smacking you around, and it's also a pain in the ass to kill in the rain. Even on offensive rain teams, Ferrothorn is really helpful as a defensive pivot, since it covers such a huge range of Pokemon that would otherwise tear you apart, like the aforementioned Starmie. You're also lacking Stealth Rock on this team, which could make Tornadus and Thundurus kind of hard to take out. Anyways I would at least try it out over Toxicroak, since most Pokemon that you use Toxicroak to counter, like Virizion and Tyranitar, are covered quite well by Jirachi.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

Even though Ferrothorn will help a lot in this department, Gastrodon is still going to be walling the majority of your team. I would give Politoed Hidden Power Grass over Hypnosis as a way to take Gastrodon out in one shot, especially considering Politoed can take a Scald burn a lot better than Ferrothorn. Also on Politoed, I would recommend an EV spread of 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 Speed. Max Speed Modest Politoed isn't going to be outpacing much since so little lies between 180 and 239 Speed, so this spread is more ideal to outpace Skarmory and Wobbuffet while maintaining the bulk to switch into Ninetales and Tyranitar.

I would also suggest you change Latios's moveset to one of an all-out attacker. You have more than enough set-up presence on your team between CM Jirachi and NP Thundurus, so I would forgo Calm Mind on Latios for a fourth coverage move. I think you could make good use of Psyshock to OHKO Virizion after a Calm Mind, and if you can predict the Blissey switch-in, you can 2HKO her with Stealth Rock support (which is why you need Ferrothorn!).

Thank you for rating my team! I was surprised that a mod would rate my team xD. Thanks for the suggestion, i'll try it out, but i have a hard time with battling with other weathers. Any suggestions?

Posting to say that this team was rated during the lecture yesterday. You can find valuable information in fixing this team on the log here.

Good luck.

Have you considered putting the rocky helmet on your Ferrothorn? Leftovers is nice but you already have leech seed to get you at least some extra HP and iron barbs + rocky helmet takes a nice chunk from your opponent's HP. Nice team though ^^

Well it's up for debate scizor does use the rain so fire attacks don't hit as hard but I'm this instance azumarills huge power stacking with rain and cb must have a higher damage calculation. Plus scizor doesn't have the obvious water stab even if steels survive better in the rain.

Also I agree with rocky helmet on ferro. I've used that in so many battles and iron barbs stacking with helmet and previous stealth rock damage is really noticed in the opposing hp bar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)