ORAS UU Duck n G8r. (Peaked #1 with 90.1 GXE!)

Intro:

Hello, I am back with my fourth RMT bringing you guys another successful UU team(doesn't even have a Suicune counter lol). Surprisingly, this team did very well on the ladder and in the Lower Tier Series Live Tour. This is the best GXE and Win-Loss out of all of my laddering sessions so the team for sure can't be too bad. Here is proof of my ladder peak: https://gyazo.com/44f6c33ed46b2bd5d2c621cc0d45f731 and to prove i am indeed getting this money http://gyazo.com/a4f1a9f301e63173295012947e79f1e5
My Thought Process when building my Team:
The team started off as a Beedrill+SD G8r core. The core is designed for one of the mons to pressure the opponents defensive wall leaving a gap for the other to destroy the rest of the team. Aside from that, I also really wanted to try out Porygon2 as it is a broken piece of shit that is a blanket check for literally everything in the tier.

Analysis:

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Protect

So Mega Bee can 6-0 teams turn one and pressures pretty much every play-style. Having a fast U-Turn that outspeeds 98% of the tier as well as extremely strong stabs is great. I run Adamant because I think running Jolly is silly when the only thing you do not outspeed in Crobat, which does not even run max speed in the first place. I have Knock Off > Drill Run because apposing Porygon2's can be hard to kill so knocking off their Eviolite is the best way to widdle it.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet

Ah g8r, what a mon. Swords Dance g8r pretty much 6-0s every Balance and Stall team there is and against offense, it doesn't even have to set up but just click Waterfall and get a kill. I had yet to use SD g8r previous to this team, and i gotta say, its one hell of a threat. I use to run Jolly until i realized it contradicted my logic behind using it as a wall breaker(And jolly doesn't really outspeed to much anyway. And the things that Jolly would help for, +2 Jet would handle anyway).

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

So yeah, P2 pretty is pretty much a blanket check for anything offensive in the tier that is not a Choice Banded fighting type. Porygon2 really comes in handy when you are in a sticky situation because you can send it in on practically the whole tier. Oh no! Scarf Mence? Send out P2. Hone Claws Aerodactyl?? Send out P2. Mega Pidgeot!!!!? Send out P2. Your family neglects you? Send out P2. Its that easy. But forreal, it really is a solid pokemon that can fit on relatively any team due to how splashable it is.

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

I chose Doublade as one of my fighting resists to keep the pressure off P2. I chose Doublade in particular since I wanted an offensive presence as well as a ghost so things like Curse-Lax do not get out of hand. You might say "You are so weak to Knock off and Krookodile you have no switch ins!!!" but in reality, Krookodile is threatened by all 6 of my pokemon making it not hard to deal with although it might seem like it. I run 8 speed EVs cuz i think I'm slick.

Azelf @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt/Energy Ball
- Fire Blast

At this point, I needed a rocker, and preferably an offensive rocker. My team lacked speed outside of Beedrill, and a special attacker so Azelf worked perfectly. The LO 3 attacks +Stealth Rock is really good and it hits like a truck. Azelf has great coverage and can be a real problem to offensive teams and bulkier teams without a solid special wall.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Defog
- Roost

I still lacked a Defoger and something that could switch into fire types, mainly Entei. Mence seems like an obvious choice and fit that roll perfectly. I did not want to use the standard Bulky Mence set because i am not too fund of it and I wanted to keep up the Offensive presence. So I came up with a Special LO Defog Mence with roost. Draco+Fire Blast give very decent coverage and Roost+Defog can keep me healthy for Sacred Fire spam. Another thing I like about this set was that it lured in a lot of defensive mons not ready to get blown back by a LO Draco. This really helped my g8r and Beedrill break the opponents team later on.

I do not have a Suicune counter which is quite funny knowing this is UU LOL. But SD g8r+Drill can usually handle it and as well as Lure mence and Azelf to an extent if it has no CMs up.

Porygon2 is another that is hard to deal with, but as long as you can knock it off you should be fine.

Empoleon can be hard to kill if you are running Energy Ball over ThunderBolt on Azelf but it is not impossible to kill.

Mandibuzz cannot be ohko'd by anything on the team. You will have to scout the set and if it is a Knock off variant, you beat it with gatr, if its Foul Play, you stall it out with P2 and freeze it or whatever.

Sub CM Chandelure is a threat. If it subs up on P2 you have to sack a pokemon to Revenge kill it

Thanks!

Last edited:
cool team christo n_n. without changing anything on the team because its pretty solid to help deal with suicune you could try sub dd gatr>sd aqua jet. sub gatr actually massacres the tier + sets up on bulky waters lacking grass knot(emp) or roar(vap, cune). i don't think your team loses too much by removing the raw power from sd gatr as you keep priority with doublade and decent wallbreaking abilities with mence. iirc evs on gatr are 220 atk/36 spdef/252 speed adamant. other than that you pretty much covered everything in the tier nice work :].

cool team christo n_n. without changing anything on the team because its pretty solid to help deal with suicune you could try sub dd gatr>sd aqua jet. sub gatr actually massacres the tier + sets up on bulky waters lacking grass knot(emp) or roar(vap, cune). i don't think your team loses too much by removing the raw power from sd gatr as you keep priority with doublade and decent wallbreaking abilities with mence. iirc evs on gatr are 220 atk/36 spdef/252 speed adamant. other than that you pretty much covered everything in the tier nice work :].
Thanks for suggestion and complement, my problem with your suggestion, although logical, is that 95% of Suicune run Roar, and when i Sub up on one, my ass is getting Roared out before i do any considerable damage.

Cool team Christo! I've been playing with Beedrill + Gatr and it definitely is a solid offensive core that gives trouble to most teams over ladder. There's nothing I could really add for ur team, since its really solid, but I'd slash Substitute over Aqua Jet. SubSD Gatr setup on almost every water mon in this tier, tanking Scalds and hitting back hard. It have trouble with roar users, but Aqua Jet won't change it neither so I'd recommend to give a try n_n

edit: oh ninjd

you suck, i won't suggest anything because this team has a p2 which means it autowins everygame anyway haha

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
im actually in love with this team. its a great mix of everything i look for in a team. grats on peak!!!

also agreeing for sub over jet ~
E: pls jolly gatr :]

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You could probably change those IVs on Azelf, I don't see what they do. Going to recommend having 0 Attack IVs on Salamence and Azelf, as they're special attackers, so why not minimize Foul Play damage. I'm mostly sure you beat every Salamence variant even without Ice Beam on Porygon2, so I would consider having Tri Attack over Ice Beam which lets you hit most threats harder neutrally (i.e Mamoswine), you could also hax them :P I would change Doublade's EVs and move the 8 SpD to Speed, as this allows you to creep a bit more than opposing non-Shadow Claw Doublade and win most of the time, unless they creep more ofc, but you're not losing anything iirc by taking off those SpD EVs. Honestly I can't really recommend any real changes since the team's pretty good as is.

Edit: Must've been blind, didn't see Tri Attack already there lol

Last edited:

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
90 gxe? Yikes bro highest I ever got was 87. Anyway I really like the team especially the innovative Salamence set and how this team makes SD Gatr work with the enormous amount of pressure put on offense with the rest of the team, leaving Gatr to run over fatter teams.

Why Iron Head over Gyro Ball on Doublade? Is it because of the PP? Just curious. Because Doublade is so slow Gyro with min speed generally does more damage than Iron Head. Though I guess outspeeding Snorlax is nice too.

What does Tri Attack on a defensive P2 even hit? P2 often relies on super effective coverage to do meaningful damage to stuff so Thunderbolt is probably the better option here since it pairs better with Ice Beam and actually lets you do some chip damage to Steels and bulky Water types like Suicune. This is just a nitpick though since there's really not a lot I can say about this team, it's already really solid.

Knock Off spam from something relatively fast like Absol (rare but threatening) or other Beedrill looks kind of irritating for this team, the only immediate fix to that I see is perhaps running a fatter Mence, which you didn't seem to be a fan of, or a bulkier Stealth Rocker like Nidoqueen to lift some pressure of off Porygon to take those kinds of hits, though honestly losing Azelf's speed probably hurts a team like this more than it helps it, so take those suggestions with a grain of salt.

So yeah really like the team and good job on your peak!

EDIT: also agree with Kreme's changes regarding the IVs of Azelf and Mence

Last edited:

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
Azelf @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def nice hidden power friend
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt/Energy Ball
- Fire Blast

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: null Atk, you have to fill it up with a 0 instead of leaving it open otherwise you get null
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

Thanks for the suggestions! About the attack IVs on Azelf, i had it at 0 but changed a move to a hidden power for a specific tournament game and never changed it back, I'll fix it back now!

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think I've mentioned to you that this is one of my favorite offensive teams in the meta right now, so well done and gratz on peaks. My only suggestion would be to change out Sacred Sword for Shadow Claw on Doublade. On the one hand you can't catch Krook with a Sacred Sword, and I know Krook is a concern, but honestly half your team pressures the hell out of Krook even if it can't switch in. On the other hand, Shadow Claw lets you beat things like bulky waters (especially Slowking, who can be a pain in the ass otherwise), Shadow Ball Reuniclus, pdef Cress and co. It also helps you beat CM Roar Suicune, which this team has trouble with, as once you force it to rest, two Shadow Claws plus Shadow Sneak will KO even after Lefties healing at +2, which isn't true for Sacred. It's not turning you into a Suicune counter or anything, but it means it doesn't wall you quite as bad.

Anyhow, other than that I've got no real suggestions. I think this is a really solid team all around.

Doublade @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw

I think I've mentioned to you that this is one of my favorite offensive teams in the meta right now, so well done and gratz on peaks. My only suggestion would be to change out Sacred Sword for Shadow Claw on Doublade. On the one hand you can't catch Krook with a Sacred Sword, and I know Krook is a concern, but honestly half your team pressures the hell out of Krook even if it can't switch in. On the other hand, Shadow Claw lets you beat things like bulky waters (especially Slowking, who can be a pain in the ass otherwise), Shadow Ball Reuniclus, pdef Cress and co. It also helps you beat CM Roar Suicune, which this team has trouble with, as once you force it to rest, two Shadow Claws plus Shadow Sneak will KO even after Lefties healing at +2, which isn't true for Sacred. It's not turning you into a Suicune counter or anything, but it means it doesn't wall you quite as bad.

Anyhow, other than that I've got no real suggestions. I think this is a really solid team all around.

Doublade @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
Great idea, will change.

Do you have any replays using this team? I'd like to give it a try because it looks fun, but I'm curious how someone who actually knows what they're doing (IE: not me) uses it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)