Dugtrio (GP 2/2)

The mighty Dugtrio

QC Approved 3/3 (Snunch, PK Gaming, JabbatheSTOMP)
GP Approved 2/2 (NixHex, jc104)

Admirial Ackbar knows when shit is a trap

[Overview]

<p>Of all the revenge killers in UU, perhaps Dugtrio stands alone as best. Its ability, Arena Trap, allows it to nab any threat that is on the ground and doesn't carry precautionary measures against it. Dugtrio also boasts a blazing fast 120 base Speed stat, allowing it to get the jump on the majority of UU. Combine that with a decent offensive movepool and base 80 Attack, and Dugtrio can easily revenge kill some of the most dangerous Pokemon in UU, such as Victini, Raikou, and Cobalion.</p>

<p>If there was anything Dugtrio could want, it would probably be a higher base Attack. As it stands, Dugtrio has a hard time revenge killing just about any Pokemon that isn't frail physically or weak to its attacks. It has a hard time taking out most dedicated walls, which can easily take out Dugtrio due to its frailty. Dugtrio also has to be wary of priority, which bypasses its excellent Speed stat and hits it hard. Despite these downfalls, Dugtrio is amazing at what it does, and should always be considered when in need of a revenge killer.</p>

[SET]
name: Revenge Killer
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Night Slash / Substitute
item: Choice Band / Life Orb
ability: Arena Trap
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to its Arena Trap ability, Dugtrio makes a trapper that's near impossible to stop. It's able to get rid of almost any opponent that would otherwise get in the way of a teammate thanks to its lightning fast Speed, decent Attack, and sufficient movepool. Earthquake and Stone Edge are the main moves on this set, providing excellent neutral coverage on most of UU. From there onward, the moves can be chosen as you see fit, depending on your team. Sucker Punch is the recommended option in the third slot to hit anything which would attack Dugtrio hard, having a chance to OHKO frail Psychic-types such as Azelf and Alakazam with some prior damage. In the final moveslot, Night Slash is a decent option, letting it hit Pokemon that avoid Sucker Punch. Substitute is also an option if you have trapped something that can't harm you, but keep in mind that Life Orb should be used so that you can use moves besides Substitute. Substitute also allows you to stop opposing users of Sucker Punch from harming you, especially if you predict correctly.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Choice Band is the recommended item, as it gives Dugtrio as much power as possible, considering its Attack stat could use the boost. Being locked into an attack in this case isn't really bad either, considering that there is no need for you to switch attacks on most Pokemon you are trapping. However, if you feel like you really need to switch attacks, Life Orb can also be used, still giving a decent power boost. Life Orb also allows you to use Substitute, which can be helpful when up against users of Sucker Punch and even Pokemon locked into an Electric-type move. Running Life Orb also gives you the opportunity to run Toxic, which can help you wear down walls you may have trapped. Memento is an interesting option as well, allowing any of Dugtrio's teammates to switch in almost without worry from attacks. In terms of attacking moves, Aerial Ace is an option that allows Dugtrio to hit Fighting-types super effectively, especially Heracross. Unfortunately this usually doesn't work out too well for Dugtrio, as many Heracross will outrun Dugtrio thanks to Choice Scarf.</p>

<p>When using Dugtrio, remember that its base Attack leaves much to be desired, and that its astounding Speed only barely makes up for its awful defenses. With that in mind, Dugtrio is best suited for trapping Pokemon that are either very frail Pokemon or unable to do much in return. Any bulkier threats that Dugtrio can't take out by itself can be taken out by hard hitters such as Rhyperior, making it and other similar Pokemon excellent teammates for Dugtrio. Dugtrio tends to suit teams revolving around frail sweepers; it can more often than not take out many opponents that would get in the way of a teammate's sweep. Lastly, hazard support is an excellent idea when using Dugtrio, giving the opponent some prior damage to soften them up for Dugtrio and its teammates.</p>

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Focus Sash

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Dugtrio is usually seen in a very offensive role, Dugtrio can also use its Arena Trap ability to support its teammates by setting up Stealth Rock almost without fail. Stealth Rock is the most important move on this set, allowing Dugtrio to support its teammates by racking up residual damage, giving your team a slightly easier time taking out the opponent. Sucker Punch gives Dugtrio a semi-reliable form of priority, which can be helpful for dishing outsome last-minute damage after Dugtrio's Focus Sash is spent. Earthquake is Dugtrio's STAB move and still hits fairly hard even without a boost, while Stone Edge in conjunction with Earthquake provides excellent neutral coverage on most foes. Focus Sash allows Dugtrio to almost always set up Stealth Rock on the foe, even in the face of a potential OHKO.<p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Jolly nature and maximum investment in Speed allows Dugtrio to, at worst, Speed tie with other base 120s, and allows Dugtrio to outspeed everything under that as well. This allows Dugtrio to lay down Stealth Rock as fast as possible, while full investment in Attack gives it a decent amount of power. Good teammates for Dugtrio should be able to take advantage of Dugtrio's ability to set up Stealth Rock; offensive teams tend to work the best in this regard, as Dugtrio not only fits the style of play but also gives them momentum from the start. Spinblockers are also really nice to have on your team so you won't lose Stealth Rock and be one Pokemon down for no reason; Ghost-types that can use Dugtrio's hazards to their advantage, such as Mismagius and Golurk, are excellent in this regard. Users of Spikes are also a nice addition to a team with Dugtrio, to make the opponent take even more passive damage.</p>

<p>An interesting idea is to run Substitute in tandem with Leftovers to give Dugtrio a bit more survivability while allowing it to scout any attacks coming in its way. However, use this at your own risk as this takes a bit of prediction to use effectively.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>On both sets, Rock Slide can be used if you fear Stone Edge's notoriously shaky accuracy will get the better of you, though keep in mind that the power drop is significant. Return is also an option if you want its excellent neutral coverage, but it's not nearly strong enough to be effective. Reversal is another interesting coverage move, but it's very risky to pull off and should only be used if you truly need the coverage it provides. Final Gambit is an option that could actually work, provided you keep Dugtrio as healthy as possible. Finally, Dugtrio has access to Hone Claws which, when played right, can be used with devastating effect. However, it is incredibly difficult to pull off, requiring perfect prediction on the user's part; it can also be useless in many matches, so be warned if you decide to use it.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Dugtrio has no true counters per se, as Dugtrio will more often than not be sent in on something that it can easily take out. As a result, revenge killers are usually your best bet when taking it out. Knowing the set that Dugtrio is running can be a good start in this regard; if you know that the enemy's Dugtrio is carrying a Choice Band, you can send in something that resists the attack Dugtrio is locked into, reducing the possible damage you'll take from Dugtrio. Pokemon with super effective priority are great checks to Dugtrio, as they can easily bypass Dugtrio's blazing Speed. However, make sure that you are able to take Sucker Punch from Dugtrio.</p>

<p>Defensively, Slowbro takes advantage of Dugtrio quite well, either spreading status, setting up with Calm Mind, or just attacking Dugtrio outright. Claydol is in the same boat, but can also set up Stealth Rock, and use Rapid Spin to undo Dugtrio's work. However, both must watch out for a Choice Band-boosted Night Slash, Shadow Claw, or Sucker Punch. Chansey is also a good counter to most Dugtrio, as it can actually 2HKO with Seismic Toss with a little prior damage. Bulky Grass-types such as Tangrowth also work since they take next to nothing from most of Dugtrio's attacks; even Choice Band Aerial Ace will often not be enough. Lastly, Gligar stands out as the greatest check to Dugtrio as it can shrug off not only attacks, thanks to its phenomenal Defense and Roost, but also Dugtrio's only possible form of offense against physical walls: Toxic.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Dugtrio recieves Sand Force from the Dream World. Though it is an interesting ability, there are many better users, and besides, Dugtrio is pretty much only used for Arena Trap.</p>

Honestly, only the first set should be up there (slash Adamant alongside Jolly). The second set doesn't suit Dugtrio well because it's so frail. Your Subs are going to be broken regardless, and the Focus Sash is unreliable. Its Attack stat is only average, so to make the best of it, you need to hit as hard as possible and eliminate stuff on the spot.

Max Speed and Max Attack really should be your only EV spread as that 40 Def won't get you anywhere and the Support set isn't needed, sure it can reliably set up rocks but bulky set up pokemon usually work better. But Taunt should be considered on the set if QC lets it stay, Taunt is better than Substitute.

breh

強いだね
I agree with aerodactyl legend; that second set looks really bad. Dugtrio is weak as shit without a boosting item (I'm inclined to say that it should only be using choice band) and focus sash is generally a lackluster item.

I'm also tempted to say to remove aerial ace, night slash, and shadow claw to OO and just say to use memento or toxic in that last slot.

Aerial Ace is godawful and a waste of a slot, considering that heracross is almost always scarfed and that you can only catch it using toxic or stone edge (which is guaranteed to 2HKO with SR support trololol) and sucker punch is way too valuable a move to let go. The last slot seems kind of fillery, especially since both of those moves will not do any damage at all to things that they hit SE (they hit Celebi, Rotom normal, and Mismagius harder than any of your other moves.... yeah, it's not that impressive).

Also, I'd argue you should be running max speed. The off chance that dugtrio will need that defence is far smaller than the off chance that it will meet another base 120.

mention hidden power ice as it two hit ko's evoite gligar with only 4 spa ev's and neurtal nature afther sealth rock with a liforb. Speaking of gligar mention gligar as couter because stonr Edge is doing nothing to gligar.

@ aerodactly legend / breludicolo:

I was tentative about the 2nd set as first as well, and I still am, but PKGaming and JabbaTheGriffin gave it the go-ahead so its staying up there unless someone else states otherwise. However I'll probably make some changes to it - Toxic over Sub is what I was thinking. Aerial Ace and Shadow Claw are probably going to be in AC but I'll let QC have the final word on that. Night Slash gives it a decent Dark attack as opposed to Sucker Punch which can be unreliable at times. I'll change the Speed EVs.

@MysticClaydol: Dugtrio doesn't learn Taunt.

@pie cream: you can't trap gligar, so i'll just put it as a counter for those not running toxic

EDIT: pie cream, it's not really worth it considering how low its special attack is - that's literally probably the only thing that is two-shotting thanks to all of its base 50 Special Attack, and I don't think its a good idea to waste what precious coverage Dugtrio has on a move for one Pokemon.

@ aerodactly legend / breludicolo:

I was tentative about the 2nd set as first as well, and I still am, but PKGaming and JabbaTheGriffin gave it the go-ahead so its staying up there unless someone else states otherwise. However I'll probably make some changes to it - Toxic over Sub is what I was thinking. Aerial Ace and Shadow Claw are probably going to be in AC but I'll let QC have the final word on that. Night Slash gives it a decent Dark attack as opposed to Sucker Punch which can be unreliable at times. I'll change the Speed EVs.

@MysticClaydol: Dugtrio doesn't learn Taunt.

@pie cream: you can't trap gligar, so i'll just put it as a counter for those not running toxic

Well you could at least dent it.

Replace Shadow Claw with Substitute on the first set. Shadow Claw is redundant with Night Slash, and Substitute combined with Life Orb avoids sucker punches from pokemon like Houndoom.

The second set should have Sucker Punch instead of Substitute. This is the set Jabba had in mind. Also specify Arena Trap on this set.

Slash Adamant next to Jolly on both sets

QC APPROVED 1/3

Thanks, writing this bad boy up

EDIT: They're both mentioned in the analysis, though if you want them on other sets then i guess let me know :p

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Memento is better than OO imho, it allows Dugtrio to be more than dead weight after you've eliminated the few things you hit super effectively on your opponent's team.

I don't understand how this passed QC. The set should be virtually the same from OU to UU.

Aerial Ace also does not deserve a slash. Most Heracross are Choice Scarfed. In fact, I doubt I've even encountered one that isn't. Even so, it's only a single threat (unlike in OU, with Breloom and Virizion) that is easily covered by other team mates. I believe it is only qualified for OO.

Why is there are support set? Aerodactyl does the job MUCH better than does Dugtrio, with higher Speed, Attack, and... everything else, really. And there isn't much of anything that it can switch on that can't do anything to Dugtrio, with those terrible defenses, and a typing with far too many common UU weaknesses. If Dugtrio had Taunt like Aerodactyl, maybe it could have a niche, but it doesn't.

-Zane

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Of all the revenge killers in UU, perhaps Dugtrio stands alone as most likely the best.(period) of them in UU. Its ability, Arena Trap, allows it to nab any threat that is on the ground and doesn't carry precautionary measures against it. Dugtrio also boasts a blazing fast 120 base Speed, allowing it to get the jump on the majority of UU. Combine that with a decent offensive movepool and base 80 Attack, and Dugtrio can easily revenge kill some of the most dangerous Pokemon in UU, like such as Victini, Raikou, and Cobalion.</p>

<p>If there was anything Dugtrio could want, it would probably be a higher base Attack. Where it stands, Dugtrio has a hard time revenge killing just about any Pokemon that isn't frail physically or weak to its attacks. It has a hard time taking out most dedicated walls, and they can actually do a number Dugtrio itself before they go down thanks due to its frailty. Dugtrio also has to be wary of priority, which bypasses its excellent Speed stat and hits it hard. Despite these downfalls, Dugtrio is amazing at what it does, and it should always be considered when in need of a revenge killer.</p>

[SET]
move 3: Sucker Punch / Aerial Ace

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to its Arena Trap ability, Dugtrio makes a trapper that's near impossible to stop, allowing it to get rid of almost any opponent that would otherwise get in the way of a teammate thanks to its lightning fast Speed, decent Attack, and a movepool that's just enough to get the job done. Earthquake and Stone Edge are the main moves on this set, providing excellent neutral coverage on most of UU. From there onward,(comma) the moves can be chosen as you see fit on your team. Sucker Punch is the recommended option in the third slot to hit anything which would attack Dugtrio hard, having a chance to OHKO frail Psychic-types like such as Azelf and Alakazam with some prior damage. Aerial Ace is another option which that allows Dugtrio to hit Fighting-types super effectively, especially Heracross. In the final moveslot, Night Slash is a decent option that lets it hit many Pokemon harder than Sucker Punch, in addition to providing extra coverage with your other moves. Substitute is also an option if you have trapped something that can't harm you, but keep in mind that Life Orb should be used so that you can use moves besides Substitute. Substitute also allows you to stop opposing users of Sucker Punch from harming you, especially if you predict correctly.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Choice Band is the recommended item to use so as to give Dugtrio as much power as it can, considering it's Attack stat could use the boost. Being locked into an attack in this case isn't really bad either, considering there is no need for you to swtich switch attacks on most Pokemon you are trapping. However, if you feel like you really need to switch attacks, Life Orb can also be used,(comma) while also still giving a slight power boost. Life Orb also allows you to use Substitute, which can be helpful when up against users of Sucker Punch and even Pokemon locked into an Electric-type move. Running Life Orb also gives you the oppurtunity opportunity to run Toxic, which can help you wear down walls you may have trapped. Memento is an interesting option as well, allowing any of its teammates to switch in almost without worry from attacks thanks to the power drop Memento gives.</p>

<p>When using Dugtrio, one must keep in mind that not only is Dugtrio's base Attack slightly lacking, but that its frailty is roughly equal to its Speed. With that in mind, Dugtrio is best suited for trapping either very frail Pokemon or anything that can't really hurt it back, ensuring Dugtrio comes out of the faceoff as healthy as possible. Any bulkier threats that Dugtrio can't take out by itself can be taken out by hard hitters like such as Rhyperior, making it and other Pokemon like it excellent teammates for Dugtrio. Dugtrio itself tends to lend itself best on a team revolving around frail sweepers; it can more often than not take out many opponents that would get in the way of a teammate's sweep. Lastly, hazard support is an excellent idea when using Dugtrio, giving the oppponent opponent some prior damage to soften them up for Dugtrio and its teammates.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Dugtrio is usually seen in a very offensive role, Dugtrio can also use its Arena Trap ability to ensure it can support its teammates by setting Stealth Rock almost without fail against Pokemon that can't do anything about Dugtrio. it. Stealth Rock is the most important move on this set, allowing Dugtrio to support its teammates by having the opponent rack up residual damage on the switch in, giving your team a slightly easier time taking out the opponent. Sucker Punch gives Dugtrio a semi-reliable form of priority, which can be helpful for getting some last-minute damage on the foe after Dugtrio's Focus Sash is spent. Earthquake is Dugtrio's STAB move and still hits fairly hard even without a boost, while Stone Edge in conjunction with Earthquake provides excellent neutral coverage on most foes. Focus Sash allows Dugtrio to almost always set up Stealth Rock on the foe bar hail, even in the face of a potential OHKO.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Jolly nature and maximum investment in Speed allows Dugtrio to, at worst, Speed tie with other base 120s, and it allows Dugtrio to outspeed everything under that as well. This,(comma) along with full investment in Attack,(comma) allows Dugtrio to lay down Stealth Rock as fast as it can while giving its attacks a decent amount of power. Good teammates for Dugtrio should be able to take advantage of Dugtrio's ability to set down Stealth Rock; offensive teams tend to work the best in this regard,(comma) as it not only fits the style of play but also gives them momentum from the start thanks to hazards. Spinblockers are also really nice to have on your team so you won't lose Stealth Rock and be one Pokemon down for no reason; Pokemon who can use Dugtrio's hazards to their advantage are excellent in this regard, such as Mismagius and Drifblim. Users of Spikes are also a nice addition to a team with Dugtrio on it to make the opponent take even more passive damage.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>On both sets,(comma) Rock Slide can be used if you fear Stone Edge's notoriously shaky accuracy will get the best of you, though keep in mind the power drop can be a bit unwelcome. Return is also an option if you want its excellent neutral coverage, but it's not nearly strong enough to be effective. Reversal is another interesting coverage move, but it's very risky to pull off and should only be used if you truly need the coverage it provides. Final Gambit is an option that could actually work, provided you keep Dugtrio as healthy as possible. Finally, Dugtrio has access to Hone Claws,(no comma) which, when played right, can be used with devastating effect. However, it is incredibly difficult to pull off, requiring perfect prediction on the user's part; it can also be useless in many matches, so be warned if you decide to use it.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Dugtrio has no true hard counters per se, as Dugtrio will more often than not be sent in on something that it can easily take out. As a result, revenge killers are usually your best bet when taking it out. Knowing the set that Dugtrio is running can be a good start in this regard; if you know that the enemy's Dugtrio is carrying a Choice Band, you can send in something that resists the attack Dugtrio is locked into, reducing the possible damage you'll take from Dugtrio. Pokemon with super effective priority are great checks to Dugtrio, as they can easily bypass Dugtrio's blazing Speed. However, make sure that you are able to take Sucker Punch from Dugtrio.</p>

<p> Defensively, Slowbro takes advantage of Dugtrio quite well, either spreading status, setting up with Calm Mind, or just attacking Dugtrio or its switching outright. Claydol is in the same boat, though it can make many a Dugtrio's work all for nothing thanks to access to Rapid Spin. Claydol also sets up Stealth Rock, greatly supporting its teammates. However both must watch out for a Choice Band boosted Night Slash, Shadow Claw, or Sucker Punch. Chansey is also a good counter to most Dugtrio, as it can actually 2HKO it with Seismic Toss with some slight prior damage. Bulky Grass-types like such as Tangrowth also work since they take next to nothing from most of Dugtrio's attacks; even Choice Band Aerial Ace will often not be enough. Lastly, Gligar stands out as the greatest check to Dugtrio as not only can it shrug off any and all attacks from it thanks to its phenomenal Defense and Roost, but it's also immune to Dugtrio's only possible form of offense against physical walls: Toxic.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Dugtrio recieves Sand Strength Force from the Dream World. Though it is an interesting ability, there are both better users and the fact is that Dugtrio is pretty much only used for Arena Trap.</p>

[GP 1/2]

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
o Zane actually does bring up a good point about Aerial Ace. I'd say de-slash and move the mention to AC.

The Support set is actually pretty good though. Bar Aerodactyl, Dugtrio provides the fast Stealth Rock in the tier (iirc i may be wrong). So, as far as dedicated leads go, Dugtrio is pretty legit. I'd mention Substitute with Leftovers in AC though.

Also don't mention Drifblim as a spinblocker, mention Dusclops or Golurk.

fair enough, ill make the changes and idk why i put drifblim maybe cuz acrobatics...

edit: retaliate is just a glorified return, so no go.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Of all the revenge killers in UU, perhaps Dugtrio stands alone as best. Its ability, Arena Trap, allows it to nab any threat that is on the ground and doesn't carry precautionary measures against it. Dugtrio also boasts a blazing fast 120 base Speed stat, allowing it to get the jump on the majority of UU. Combine that with a decent offensive movepool and base 80 Attack, and Dugtrio can easily revenge kill some of the most dangerous Pokemon in UU, such as Victini, Raikou, and Cobalion.</p>

<p>If there was anything Dugtrio could want, it would probably be a higher base Attack. Where As it stands, Dugtrio has a hard time revenge killing just about any Pokemon that isn't frail physically or weak to its attacks. It has a hard time taking out most dedicated walls, and they which can easily take out actually do a number Dugtrio itself before they go down due to its frailty. Dugtrio also has to be wary of priority, which bypasses its excellent Speed stat and hits it hard. Despite these downfalls, Dugtrio is amazing at what it does, and it should always be considered when in need of a revenge killer.</p>

[SET]
move 3: Sucker Punch

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to its Arena Trap ability, Dugtrio makes a trapper that's near impossible to stop. , allowing it It's able to get rid of almost any opponent that would otherwise get in the way of a teammate thanks to its lightning fast Speed, decent Attack, and a sufficient movepool that's just enough to get the job done. Earthquake and Stone Edge are the main moves on this set, providing excellent neutral coverage on most of UU. From there onward, the moves can be chosen as you see fit, depending on your team. Sucker Punch is the recommended option in the third slot to hit anything which would attack Dugtrio hard, having a chance to OHKO frail Psychic-types such as Azelf and Alakazam with some prior damage. In the final moveslot, Night Slash is a decent option, letting that lets it hit many Pokemon that avoid harder than Sucker Punch, in addition to providing extra coverage with your other moves. Substitute is also an option if you have trapped something that can't harm you, but keep in mind that Life Orb should be used so that you can use moves besides Substitute. Substitute also allows you to stop opposing users of Sucker Punch from harming you, especially if you predict correctly.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Choice Band is the recommended item, as it gives to use to give Dugtrio as much power as possible it can, considering its Attack stat could use the boost. Being locked into an attack in this case isn't really bad either, considering that there is no need for you to switch attacks on most Pokemon you are trapping. However, if you feel like you really need to switch attacks, Life Orb can also be used, while still giving a decent slight power boost. Life Orb also allows you to use Substitute, which can be helpful when up against users of Sucker Punch and even Pokemon locked into an Electric-type move. Running Life Orb also gives you the opportunity to run Toxic, which can help you wear down walls you may have trapped. Memento is an interesting option as well, allowing any of its Dugtrio's teammates to switch in almost without worry from attacks thanks to the power drop Memento gives. In terms of attacking moves, Aerial Ace is an option that allows Dugtrio to hit Fighting-types super effectively, especially Heracross. Unfortunately this usually doesn't work out too well for Dugtrio, as many Heracross will outrun Dugtrio thanks to be carrying Choice Scarf, allowing it to outrun Dugtrio.</p>

<p>When using Dugtrio, remember that its base Attack leaves much to be desired, and that its astounding Speed only barely makes up for its awful defenses When using Dugtrio, one must keep in mind that not only is Dugtrio's base Attack slightly lacking, but that its frailty is roughly equal to its Speed. With that in mind, Dugtrio is best suited for trapping Pokemon that are either very frail Pokemon or unable to do much in return anything that can't really hurt it back, ensuring Dugtrio comes out of the faceoff as healthy as possible. Any bulkier threats that Dugtrio can't take out by itself can be taken out by hard hitters such as Rhyperior, making it and other similar Pokemon like it excellent teammates for Dugtrio. Dugtrio tends to suit itself tends to lend itself best on a teams revolving around frail sweepers; it can more often than not take out many opponents that would get in the way of a teammate's sweep. Lastly, hazard support is an excellent idea when using Dugtrio, giving the opponent some prior damage to soften them up for Dugtrio and its teammates.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Dugtrio is usually seen in a very offensive role, Dugtrio can also use its Arena Trap ability to ensure it can support its teammates by setting up Stealth Rock almost without fail against Pokemon that can't do anything about it. Stealth Rock is the most important move on this set, allowing Dugtrio to support its teammates by having the opponent racking up residual damage on the switch in, giving your team a slightly easier time taking out the opponent. Sucker Punch gives Dugtrio a semi-reliable form of priority, which can be helpful for getting dishing outsome last-minute damage on the foe after Dugtrio's Focus Sash is spent. Earthquake is Dugtrio's STAB move and still hits fairly hard even without a boost, while Stone Edge in conjunction with Earthquake provides excellent neutral coverage on most foes. Focus Sash allows Dugtrio to almost always set up Stealth Rock on the foe bar hail, even in the face of a potential OHKO. (still works in hail)</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Jolly nature and maximum investment in Speed allows Dugtrio to, at worst, Speed tie with other base 120s, and it allows Dugtrio to outspeed everything under that as well. This, along with full investment in Attack, allows Dugtrio to lay down Stealth Rock as fast as possible, while full investment in Attack gives it as it can while giving its attacks a decent amount of power. Good teammates for Dugtrio should be able to take advantage of Dugtrio's ability to set down up Stealth Rock; offensive teams tend to work the best in this regard, as it Dugtrio not only fits the style of play but also gives them momentum from the start thanks to hazards. Spinblockers are also really nice to have on your team so you won't lose Stealth Rock and be one Pokemon down for no reason; Pokemon who Ghost-types that can use Dugtrio's hazards to their advantage, such as Mismagius and Golurk, are excellent in this regard, such as Mismagius and Golurk. Users of Spikes are also a nice addition to a team with Dugtrio, on it to make the opponent take even more passive damage.</p>

<p>An interesting idea is to run Substitute in tandem with Leftovers to give Dugtrio a bit more survivability while allowing it to scout any attacks coming in its way. However, use this at your own risk as this takes a bit of prediction to use effectively.

[Other Options]

<p>On both sets, Rock Slide can be used if you fear Stone Edge's notoriously shaky accuracy will get the better of you, though keep in mind that the power drop is significant can be a bit unwelcome. Return is also an option if you want its excellent neutral coverage, but it's not nearly strong enough to be effective. Reversal is another interesting coverage move, but it's very risky to pull off and should only be used if you truly need the coverage it provides. Final Gambit is an option that could actually work, provided you keep Dugtrio as healthy as possible. Finally, Dugtrio has access to Hone Claws which, when played right, can be used with devastating effect. However, it is incredibly difficult to pull off, requiring perfect prediction on the user's part; it can also be useless in many matches, so be warned if you decide to use it.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Dugtrio has no true hard counters per se, as Dugtrio will more often than not be sent in on something that it can easily take out. As a result, revenge killers are usually your best bet when taking it out. Knowing the set that Dugtrio is running can be a good start in this regard; if you know that the enemy's Dugtrio is carrying a Choice Band, you can send in something that resists the attack Dugtrio is locked into, reducing the possible damage you'll take from Dugtrio. Pokemon with super effective priority are great checks to Dugtrio, as they can easily bypass Dugtrio's blazing Speed. However, make sure that you are able to take Sucker Punch from Dugtrio.</p>

<p> (remove space) Defensively, Slowbro takes advantage of Dugtrio quite well, either spreading status, setting up with Calm Mind, or just attacking Dugtrio or its switching outright. Claydol is in the same boat, but can also set up Stealth Rock, and use Rapid Spin to undo Dugtrio's work though it can make many a Dugtrio's work all for nothing thanks to access to Rapid Spin. Claydol also sets up Stealth Rock, greatly supporting its teammates. However, both must watch out for a Choice Band-boosted Night Slash, Shadow Claw, or Sucker Punch. Chansey is also a good counter to most Dugtrio, as it can actually 2HKO it with Seismic Toss with some slight a little prior damage. Bulky Grass-types such as Tangrowth also work since they take next to nothing from most of Dugtrio's attacks; even Choice Band Aerial Ace will often not be enough. Lastly, Gligar stands out as the greatest check to Dugtrio as not only can it can shrug off not only any and all attacks, from it thanks to its phenomenal Defense and Roost, but it's also immune to Dugtrio's only possible form of offense against physical walls: Toxic.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Dugtrio recieves Sand Force from the Dream World. Though it is an interesting ability, there are many both better users, and besides, and the fact is that Dugtrio is pretty much only used for Arena Trap.</p>
GP 2/2

I must say I was very surprised by the number of changes I had to make to this analysis. This was at times very painful to read. Natgeo: please put the same amount to effort into writing analyses as you do into checking them. Don't use constructions that you do not feel comfortable with (especially "not only this, but this"), and try not to waffle. You repeated yourself a lot in this analysis.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know this is a bit late, but I think Wynaut deserves a mention in the teammates section of AC in the sets. Wynaut with Speed investment can switch into Chansey and Encore a support move, then Tickle her down to -6 so Dugtrio can dispose of her easily. It doesn't just apply to to Chansey either, it can be any slow wall.

Isn't Shadow Claw a better choice than Night Slash? It has lets resists and have the same coverage. The Normal immunity does not matter since the opponent could not just switch to a Normal type due to Arena Trap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)