DuskMod: A major modification to the standard metagame

Dusk209

No relation.
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I imagine what he's getting at is that Suicune can now run a similar set with Recover over RestTalk, thus freeing up another moveslot.
It got wish, not recover

Am I the only one having trouble with viewing the new changes?
I'll make an alternative changelog for those who can't see google docs. Edit: done

Still no freeze? That's some didication, I'll give you that.
I can't think of a way to implement it that isn't insanely annoying, so I won't even bother.

tehy

Banned deucer.
It's awesome dedication.

Freeze is the stupidest thing to ever exist. At least sleep is induced on purpose and such. Freeze is the ultimate oh god why does it exist.

@Articblast The crocune thing is just because cm/wish/protect/scald (or surf) is basically crocune except better. I know it's not technically the set, but still.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Pickup seems kind of horribly broken

What if it just removed one entry hazard? Starting with SR, then Spikes, then Toxic Spikes. Or the other way around for Tspikes/Spikes.

Pickup seems kind of horribly broken

What if it just removed one entry hazard? Starting with SR, then Spikes, then Toxic Spikes. Or the other way around for Tspikes/Spikes.
The thing about pickup are the pokemon that get it. The only decent ones are Munchlax (lol) and Smeargle, which does not have the bulk to abuse it well enough.

Only just discovered this metagame today and already I'm hooked! If there was ever a tournament of this, you all know what would happen to ANY competitive battler who found this appealing; join a tournament of course! :D

Dusk209

No relation.
Only just discovered this metagame today and already I'm hooked! If there was ever a tournament of this, you all know what would happen to ANY competitive battler who found this appealing; join a tournament of course! :D
I could arrange one Saturday. Who else would be interested in joining?

So, I am going to use this post as a DM2 threatlist. It is not official or anything, but I will add stuff that people say are good, as long as they give a reason why. I am going to start with a couple of my favorites:

Metagross @ Quick Powder
Trait: Light Metal
252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earth Quake
- Zen Headbutt
- Stealth Rock / Bullet Punch / Rock Slide
This set is awesome, as it is both strong, and fast. With a quick powder and light metal boost, it is capable of speed tying with jolly terrakion, which is amazing for something as bulky as terrakion. It is best used either as a rocks setter or part of a bulky offense core, as it is good at both taking and dishing out hits.

Yeah I really like how the whole thing has turned out in the end. It feels a lot more accessible than the last one, and I do believe that changes to the surrounding mechanics/move distributions are better than changing the stats. I really do need to get that team tested out.

Dusk209

No relation.
The tournament will begin within the next hour, once we get 8 people. I may do another tournament later tonight.

Thanks for all the support, everyone!

EDIT: The tournament ended up going pretty well! Congratulations to DreMZ and thank you to the 8 people who participated!

The light metal boost is a little underwhelming. The fastest Pokemon who gets it is Metagross, who comes up to just 84. Registeel hardly benefits, and Scizor's other ability is better.
Genesect
- Movepool: -Rock Polish, -U-Turn
Also, what does this mean? Does it say minus Rock Polish, as in it does not have the move?

Dusk209

No relation.
Now that my server has the ability to upload replays, I'm going to start showing some of them in the first post! Here's a quick battle I had against PokermansCoach, showcasing some new threats and different movesets, such as choice band hippowdon, sand rush flygon, and lunar dance meloetta:

http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/dusk-duskmod-31

In addition, there is now a ladder for DM on the server. Check it out!

The light metal boost is a little underwhelming. The fastest Pokemon who gets it is Metagross, who comes up to just 84. Registeel hardly benefits, and Scizor's other ability is better.

Also, what does this mean? Does it say minus Rock Polish, as in it does not have the move?
The ability is somewhat useful is Metagross. It's not useful by itself, but with quick powder, Metagross is capable of speedtying with base 108 pokemon.

So, I've been looking at a lot of mons in the current metagame, and I'm gonna go ahead and name a few that I think are really strong.

Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan

Both the Hitmon-Kicker and the Hitmon-Boxer are really good in this meta with the buff of Black Belt, exclusive to the two beforementioned mons and Hitmontop, giving them a marginal boost (I think 50%? Maybe 30%, idk) in Attack and Speed each. It's a great tool for Hitmonlee especially, who was given Swords Dance in DM, acting as a fantastic mid- to late-game cleaner. On the flipside, Hitmonchan is an impressively bulky revenge killer with access to Iron Fist, boosting Drain Punch, Ice Punch, and Mach Punch's power to more than acceptable levels. They also pack a Stealth Rock resistance, letting them swtich in often. Good counters I have found tend to be bulky Specs Starmie, Bulky Gothitelle (preferrably Specs. She's a monster, too.) and Physically Defensive Suicune.

Raikou

Raikou was given Weather Ball in DM, making it very scary in the Rain, providing a 100BP Water-Type move that dispatches its DM counters in Hippowdon, Tyranitar, and Specially Defensive Heatran. Every team in DM should have a Raikou counter, but the real mission is to win the weather war. I've had many battles with guys like Nollan destroyed my entire team when I accidentally lost the weather war (In case you haven't guessed, weather is so important in DM now that Hail is viable as well.), just showing Raikou's power. The best way to beat it is to win the weather war, simple as that, or else, you have to predict like a fucking monster. Good luck!

And finally...

Flygon

Now, this mon was already good before, but now its even better. Based Dusk gave Flygon Sand Rush, and now it wrecks lives. Flygon can don a Choice Band, outspeed near everything in Sand, and hit hard with Outrage and Earthquake (and Fire Punch for Ferro, if you care to do that). He's an awesome mon to use in Sand, and even does okay outside of Sand as a good answer to threats found on Sand teams like Scizor and Ferro.

That's all I can think of as of now. There are plenty of threats left, so if any of the players can think of other ones, post them so the new players can get a sense for what's really good and what needs to be countered!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)