OU Effective Combinations in the OU Metagame

I didn't see this posted yet, so:

Starmie / Ferrothorn / Volcarona

Basically Starmie spins for Volcarona and Ferrothorn sets up Spikes and serves as the normal defensive beast he is.

I've been finding a rather interesting sweeper duo that seems to work rather well.

Nidoking and Terrakion.

Nidoking is actually better than it gets credit for able to 2hko most of the non special wall metagame and with some prediction can leave some rather large holes in the enemy team. However it can't break the aforementioned special walls. It mainly has difficulties with the Pink blobs and Terrakion just loves coming in on them. The reason they work so well together is that Terrakion hates status and has to be careful when switching in, with Nidoking being immune to both Twave and Toxic, it is rare that they use them before they know your whole set on the chance you are mixed. Terrakion then gets in for free and can proceed to punch amazingly large holes in the enemy team.

Defensive Combo

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SpDef
Nature: Impish

~ Spikes
~ Leech Seed/Stealth Rock
~ Thunder Wave
~ Power Whip

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def

~ Waterfall
~ Dragon Tail
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk

Ferrothorn and Gyarados have perfect synergy together, in a manner similar to Ferrothorn and Jellicent. Gyarados can take on Fighting, Fire, and Dragon-types that would give Ferrothorn problems while Ferrothorn can take on Rock, Electric, and bulky Water-types that would give Gyarados problems.

Using Gyarados over Jellicent means you can't effectively block Rapid Spin, but you do gain the ability to phaze the opponent with Dragon Tail. The combination of Ferrothorn's entry hazards and Gyarados's Dragon Tail will often leave Pokemon with such low HP that they'll faint upon switching back in. Gyarados can also more easily take on Conkeldurr than Jellicent and doesn't mind Toxic very much because it can get rid of it with Rest.

Ferrothorn has many options for its moveslots, but I think these moves are the best for it. Spikes and Stealth Rock are to rack up damage when paired with Dragon Tail, but Leech Seed is the better choice if you already have a SR user on your team. Power Whip is for STAB and to KO Water-types while Thunder Wave is to cripple sweepers that switch in. Gyro Ball would be a good choice in that slot, but most of its targets, such as Dragonite, can be taken out by Gyarados more easily.

This combo has problems with Terrakion, as it can easily KO whichever one comes in with one of its STAB attacks. Sub Bulk Up Toxicroak is also a problem because it can set up on both of them, since Dragon Tail won't be able to phaze it while it has a Sub up. Gengar makes an excellent partner for these two as it can set up its own Substitute on Toxicroak and can revenge kill non-Rock Polish Terrakion. It also has the ability to sweep weakened teams with its coverage and can prevent Ferrothorn's entry hazards from being spun away.

@DDRMaster I came up with a similar core a while back and came to the same conclusion as you, Gengar checks most of the threats and acts as a spin blocker.

He's another core that I posted a while back, abuse when Wobbufett sticks around with us! It's from a different thread.
Alright if you really want to make your opponent rage, you have to make them feel like they have no control over the game; that it is completely out of their hands. This core does that:

Wobbuffet (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Encore
- Mirror Coat
- Counter
- Safeguard

Politoed (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Hypnosis
- Perish Song
- Protect

Politoed was chosen because he is by far the most used perish song abuser. The way it works is to Perish Song on a threat, the best being a slow wall. After you Perish Song, you switch out into Wobbufett. If your Wobbufett can Encore the opposing pokemon on a set-up move, or the opposing pokemon doesn't have a super effective move congratulations! When that is done, you have taken down an opposing Pokemon guaranteed. This tactic is especially useful for taking apart defensive cores that might otherwise give you trouble. This strategy is made even more effective by Perish Song+U-turn Celebi. With U-turn, you can know for sure that your opponent pokemon will be in to stay trapped.

Skarmory@Leftovers
Sturdy
252HP/252Def/4SpDef
Stealth Rocks
Spikes
Roost
X Scissors

Riolu@Focus Sash
Prankster
252HP/252Speed/4Def
Roar
Copycat
Protect
Substitute

Gengar@Life Orb
Timid
4HP/252SpAtk/252Speed
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Thunderbolt
Sludge Bomb

Politoed@Iron Ball
252HP/252SpAtk
Quiet
Surf
Ice Beam
Hypnosis
Hidden Power[Ground]

Tornadus@Choice Specs
4HP/252SpAtk/252Speed
Modest
HURRICANE
filler
filler
filler

This core is in my opinion the best out there, Skarmory is used to set up at least 1 layer of Spikes everytime with X-Scissors to get rid of any Espeons I see in Team Preview. Once Stealth Rocks is up I can begin the annyoing trolly Riolu strategy and Copycat priority roar. If i suspect a rapid spin or a priority attack I can switch to Gengar to eliminate the threat. Once the threat is eliminated I set up Rain with Politoed and let it die then send out TORNADUS@!!!! Specs Modest Hurricane has 100% accuracy in the rain and kills pretty much everything that doesn't resist it. What about the things that resist it you say? Well let's see. Flying is resisted by Rock, Steel, electric what is something these all have in common? A weakness to ground! Spikes after one layer and a couple rounds of juggling with Riolu should leave anything that resists TORNADUS's Hurricane with a little enough amount of health to be KOd by 120+STAB BP Attack from 541.5 Special Attack! The 6th slot can be used for any Pokemon you'd like to use to help clear the path for TORNADUS.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Prankster Riolu is unreleased and therefore illegal.

Even WITH it, that strategy is wrecked by hazards and opposing weather - probably the two most common things in OU today. Tyranitar switched into Riolu? You either got off one more Roar and died or switched out and let TTar set up.

Besides, five Pokemon isn't a core, it's practically a team.

Prankster Riolu is unreleased and therefore illegal.

Even WITH it, that strategy is wrecked by hazards and opposing weather - probably the two most common things in OU today. Tyranitar switched into Riolu? You either got off one more Roar and died or switched out and let TTar set up.

Besides, five Pokemon isn't a core, it's practically a team.
Your 6th Pokemon can be used to get rid of hazards, and Weather is taken care of with Iron Ball Politoed.

Your 6th Pokemon can be used to get rid of hazards, and Weather is taken care of with Iron Ball Politoed.
You're assuming that your opponent's weather changer won't come in after Riolu starts using Copycat. It will pretty much always come in while you're phazing your opponent unless you KO it with something like Dugtrio. What you should be doing is using Wobbuffet to Encore a non-attacking move to send Riolu on something that won't hurt it and get a Roar off.

You're assuming that your opponent's weather changer won't come in after Riolu starts using Copycat. It will pretty much always come in while you're phazing your opponent unless you KO it with something like Dugtrio. What you should be doing is using Wobbuffet to Encore a non-attacking move to send Riolu on something that won't hurt it and get a Roar off.
Good idea, but nonetheless, Riolu is banned, so I guess this strategy is kinda incompetent without him, but still Specs Tornadus, who could ask for more, am i right?

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

Skarmory@Leftovers
Sturdy
252HP/252Def/4SpDef
Stealth Rocks
Spikes
Roost
X Scissors

Riolu@Focus Sash
Prankster
252HP/252Speed/4Def
Roar
Copycat
Protect
Substitute

Gengar@Life Orb
Timid
4HP/252SpAtk/252Speed
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Thunderbolt
Sludge Bomb

Politoed@Iron Ball
252HP/252SpAtk
Quiet
Surf
Ice Beam
Hypnosis
Hidden Power[Ground]

Tornadus@Choice Specs
4HP/252SpAtk/252Speed
Modest
HURRICANE
filler
filler
filler

This core is in my opinion the best out there, Skarmory is used to set up at least 1 layer of Spikes everytime with X-Scissors to get rid of any Espeons I see in Team Preview. Once Stealth Rocks is up I can begin the annyoing trolly Riolu strategy and Copycat priority roar. If i suspect a rapid spin or a priority attack I can switch to Gengar to eliminate the threat. Once the threat is eliminated I set up Rain with Politoed and let it die then send out TORNADUS@!!!! Specs Modest Hurricane has 100% accuracy in the rain and kills pretty much everything that doesn't resist it. What about the things that resist it you say? Well let's see. Flying is resisted by Rock, Steel, electric what is something these all have in common? A weakness to ground! Spikes after one layer and a couple rounds of juggling with Riolu should leave anything that resists TORNADUS's Hurricane with a little enough amount of health to be KOd by 120+STAB BP Attack from 541.5 Special Attack! The 6th slot can be used for any Pokemon you'd like to use to help clear the path for TORNADUS.
Lol really? Just a little math for you first of all.

Skarmory's Brave Bird on Espeon - 120 * 1.5 = 180 base power
X-Scissor - 80 * 2 = 160.

Secondly, THIS is the best core in Pokemon? Once again, lol.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'd like someone to go through this thread and send me a pretty post to edit into the OP to update this and hopefully move this thread towards an official article.

I'm currently thinking about making a new team that isn't really fast paced and i'd like my stars of the team to be Scrafty and Umbreon *gasp fighting types will own you*. Which is why i'm asking for opinions for what i'm thinking.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Bold Synchronize
252 Hp 252 Def
-Mean Look
-Baton Pass
-Curse
-Protect/Wish
His purpose, simply put, is to get in as much Curses as possible and pass it to Scrafty provided I don't get taunted.

+

Scrafty @ Leftovers/Life Orb?
Careful Shed Skin
252 Hp 8 Atk 248 SpD
-Drain Punch
-Crunch
-Dragon Tail
-Rest
This is the Bulk Up spread in Scraftys analysis, but with help from Umbreons Curse BP, i'm hoping to free Scrafty of having to use Bulk Up and gain an extra attack and stay alive as much as possible with Rest/Shed Skin.

The idea was to trap and set up with something a little bulkier than Scrafty. So opinions on this? Too much reliance on another mon to set up? Or an idea to improve on this.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Scrafty is generally a poor partner for Umbreon because anything that beats Umbreon beats Scrafty, so by luring Fighting-types and stuff in with Umbreon you aren't doing Scrafty any favors.

Bronzong, of all things, might be a better partner -- it can use Trick Room, gets Gyro Ball, and has enough bulk to stand up to some fighting types with a Defense boost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)