Other Metagames Electric Monotype "Volt-Turn Erryday" - 1809 elo

Hey, Apples here, i just wanted to show my team now that I've been putting it off as a secret for a while. I've gotten 1809 elo with this team and 87 gxe. I stopped caring about laddering now that I've noticed there's dragon every third match, so it was useless. For my electric team, i wanted it to be original. It may look the same on the outside, but it is different on the inside. Lets get into the team and how i came up with what i have.

The Team

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Volt Switch
- Signal Beam

Magnezone is my Special Sweeper. It has amazing coverage STAB with Flash Cannon, especially as specs. It can OHKO a lot of things, and is amazing for revenge killing with sturdy. I use HP Grass Zone, and was probably the first to use it on mono electric. It is great at surprise killing swamperts, gastrodons, and doing great damage to lanturns. Volt Switch is there for momentum with the rest of my team. Signal Beam, or Signal Meme, is so good in here. It allows me to deal with psychic and dark easier, while also being able to OHKO Hoopa-U. Not a lot of people see it coming, and it just makes Zone really good with coverage. The timid max speed is used to outspeed most Gliscors so i can take it down easier.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 232 HP / 168 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Zapdos is my first physical wall. It has amazing bulk and can regenerate hp easily with roost. It is also the only defogger on electric, which makes it necessary. Heat wave is there to help deal with grass, steel, bug, and ice. Many people prefer toxic, but i like heat wave being able to counter ferrothorn and excadrill. Volt switch is amazing on zapdos, and is probably my best volt switcher, just because not many see it coming. I use 108 speed to outspeed base 70 timid/jolly, most importantly Breloom, Bisharp, and Cloyster.

Thundurus @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Wild Charge

Ahhh, the good old banded thundy, my favorite. This thing is a monster, probably being my ace on my team. Knock off helps vs psychic, normal and ghost so much, its just insane. Superpower is amazing at dealing with threats like ttar and heatran, while just being good coverage overall. U-turn here makes this team into Volt-Turn, which is my favorite core. It does huge damage, amazing for momentum, and great against anything weak to bug. Wild Charge is the electric stab, and banded makes it OHKO a ton of pokemon, such as 0 evs hp Mega Gardevoire. This, in my opinion, is the best Thundurus set for electric period. Not being able to use Priority Thunder wave is a big drawback, but 2 of my other pokemon can take care of that nicely.

Ampharos (Ampharos-Mega) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Power Gem

Ampharos is my bulky Volt Switcher pivot. The Dragon typing gives it great resistances and Dragon STAB. Volt switch is there for momentum over discharge/thunderbolt, and toxic is great against walls such as Mega Sableye, Zapdos, etc. Power Gem is my favorite right here. It destroys opposing Volcaronas that try to sweep, and yes, Volcarona is a huge threat to Electric. I'm the first and probably the only to use power gem amphy, but it works amazing.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp

This is my second physical wall, Rotom-Wash. It may seem redundant that i have 2 physical walls, but this works perfect. Rotom is amazing at taking ice and rock hits that try to hit zapdos, mostly stone edge, and thats where rotom shines best. Hydro pump is for a strong STAB and covers a lot of threats well, and volt switch is for momentum. I'm running dual status Rotom, and it is insanely good. The T-wave is also there because Thundurus doesn't have it.

Heliolisk @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Glare
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice

Heliolisk may seem like a strange choice at first, but he fits my team the best. The focus sash guarantees me that I get at least one Glare up, just like Priority T-wave thundurus does. It also hits ground types such as Excadrill, which is a huge plus. I didn't have an HP Ice attacker on my team, so i had to put it here. Volt switch is there for momentum with the rest of the team. I had a lot of options to put for the last slot, such as Focus Blast, Surf, and Grass Knot, but i decided to go with Hyper Voice because my team already has enough coverage. Hyper Voice is there for a powerful Stab move, and can hit things hard that resist Electric. Water Absorb is also great at taking scalds and other water moves from choiced pokemon.

Conclusion
It took me a while to get this team to where it is, and i think it is absolutely amazing. There can be a few changes i could make here and there, but I like it like this.

Any flying team with this core will absolutely destroy electric. Special Defense Gliscor can take many hits while healing up with roost and poison heal, and also damaging you slowly with toxic or EQ. Zapdos takes HP ices or hydro pumps, and Gliscor takes statuses such as toxic and willowisp. Its just a crazy core and near impossible for electric to deal with.

Electric has no switch ins for this monster, especially if he is banded. If you see one, you must know that you will have to keep saccing a pokemon. That is why it is important to lead with Thundy for a strong superpower.

Mold break Earth Power to deal with Sturdy Zone and Rotom-Wash? Check. Ice Beam for Thundurus and Zapdos? Check. Outrage/Draco Meteor for everything else? Check. This thing can sweep electric alone if rocks are up. I have t-wave rotom-wash and Glare heliolisk to para and bring amphy/zone/thundy in for the kill, but theres always a Healing Wish Latias or Heal Bell Articuno to ruin your day.

This thing isn't that big of a threat for my team because i run physical dos, but it still gives a little bit of trouble. It is a predicting game with EQ and Rock Slide.

Yep. It's a threat. Especially the Sub Dance set. All it takes is one or two Ddances late game and you are swept if you havent saved your sash heliolisk.

This is the main reason i run speed dos. Breloom can destroy your whole team with rock tomb, spore, mach punch, and bullet seed. Ampharos is great at taking some hits, then use volt switch into zapdos to break that sash, and heat wave with zapdos to finish it off.

Other Threats
Some other threats can include lanturn, volcarona, every dragon, Stealth Rock, Tyranitar, Trick room, and Victini.

Fergusx - He has been supporting me while I laddered, and I thank him so much for that. Fergus is an amazing person and friend ;)

Neb - He too was supporting me while I laddered.

Tylacto - I guess you can say he is my rival

Tesla or Tespai - My senpai

HB - for being heat, and helping me become better. Amazing poison user right here

Seo - for being heat

Wyv - Wyv has helped me so much over the years with my team and how I could improve. He is the best bug player and i will always stand by that

Choco - for being heat

Jahkem - for being heat

Stun - For being the champ in merciless and helping me improve. "DFU"

My boy Jak - Amazing battler you already know 1738

KgBeast - for keeping it real, also an amazing battler

Sorry if i missed anyone else but i didn't want to go overboard with the shoutouts.

Last edited:
ayee what a combo this electric team.well played bud,u really went beyond far and were creative enough i surely didnt think of heliolisk.but all that matters is that it works.Someday u'll reach #1 with this team :) I mite even try it myself lol dragon screws me a lot

Amazing peak, excellent team. I like the unique feeling to it, especially glare Heliolisk and band Thundurus.. I love using bandurus. \o/

I don't really have much to say, but I'd recommend Rotom-W's leftover 8 EVs into speed so that you can outspeed neutral Golurk, Crawdaunt, and other 55 base attackers. Also, I know you mentioned it but isn't it tough without anything to tank spdef? s:

..and rip I'm not in the shoutouts ;~;
Yeah, band thundy is too good to not use. I thought i had the speed evs on rotom lol, must have forgot to put it on this team, thx for pointing that out.

Rip i forgot you lol and probably some other people.

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Neat team you have over here with a nice peak, so congrats. The problems of an Electric Monotype team is that it has a plethora of specially offensive Pokemon but few physically offensive ones. Electric Pokemon also have a pretty rough time dealing with Grass-types too, as Pokemon such as Venusaur and Amoonguss are really annoying, as the team will have a very hard time against it. Moreover, as you have mentioned, Zapdos + Gliscor core will give you a pretty hard time, as the only Hidden Power Ice user is Heliolisk, while Thundurus cannot really beat them with this set.

As I have mentioned, Thundurus with that set will be having quiet a bunch of problems, yes, it can definitely deal with Psychic- and Normal-types with this set, but I'll mitigate the issue in a bit. As it stands, your team has nothing for Venusaur and Amoonguss, and gets decimated by Zapdos + Gliscor core. This gives your team a really bad matchup versus Flying-, Grass-, and Poison-types. Therefore, to remedy the situation, and to ease up your matchup, Thundurus set should be changed to Nasty Plot, Thunderbolt, Hidden Power [Ice] / Focus Blast, and Psychic. This will mitigate the Zapdos and Gliscor issue, as well as be threatening to Venusaur. With the aid of Nasty Plot, you can apply pressure on Psychic-type teams as well, retaining the pressure it needed to exert. Focus Blast can be used over Hidden Power Ice in order to threaten Normal-types such as Porygon2 and Diggersby. Moreover, Thundurus benefits from the slow Volt Switch users your team has in order to switch in safely.
over

With the removal of Thundurus, your team is prone to Eviolite users, such as Chansey, which is very problematic to take down. Heliolisk looks like the most replaceable Pokemon here, as Glare isn't really appreciated, as your team contains a Rotom and a Zapdos, which can check Excadrill finely. Furthermore, having a somewhat Kyurem-Black check is also appreciated, as Rotom doesn't really like switching into Earth Powers. Therefore, it would be optimal to change Heliolisk to Assault Vest Eelektross with Drain Punch, Knock Off, U-Turn, and Rock Slide. Knock Off and Drain Punch are self explanatory, while Rock Slide lets you check Volcarona and Mega Charizard Y, and U-Turn gives you momentum.

I really think Power Gem is redundant on Mega Ampharos, especially the fact that now you have Rock Slide on Eelektross, and so you can opt for Heal Bell, which can prove to be useful against bulkier matchups, such as stall Water- and Normal-types, especially against Normal, since Eelektross will be switching in a lot.

Hope I helped! :toast:

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide

Last edited:
Neat team you have over here with a nice peak, so congrats. The problems of an Electric Monotype team is that it has a plethora of specially offensive Pokemon but few physically offensive ones. Electric Pokemon also have a pretty rough time dealing with Grass-types too, as Pokemon such as Venusaur and Amoonguss are really annoying, as the team will have a very hard time against it. Moreover, as you have mentioned, Zapdos + Gliscor core will give you a pretty hard time, as the only Hidden Power Ice user is Heliolisk, while Thundurus cannot really beat them with this set.

As I have mentioned, Thundurus with that set will be having quiet a bunch of problems, yes, it can definitely deal with Psychic- and Normal-types with this set, but I'll mitigate the issue in a bit. As it stands, your team has nothing for Venusaur and Amoonguss, and gets decimated by Zapdos + Gliscor core. This gives your team a really bad matchup versus Flying-, Grass-, and Poison-types. Therefore, to remedy the situation, and to ease up your matchup, Thundurus set should be changed to Nasty Plot, Thunderbolt, Hidden Power [Ice] / Focus Blast, and Psychic. This will mitigate the Zapdos and Gliscor issue, as well as be threatening to Venusaur. With the aid of Nasty Plot, you can apply pressure on Psychic-type teams as well, retaining the pressure it needed to exert. Focus Blast can be used over Hidden Power Ice in order to threaten Normal-types such as Porygon2 and Diggersby. Moreover, Thundurus benefits from the slow Volt Switch users your team has in order to switch in safely.

With the removal of Thundurus, your team is prone to Eviolite users, such as Chansey, which is very problematic to take down. Heliolisk looks like the most replaceable Pokemon here, as Glare isn't really appreciated, as your team contains a Rotom and a Zapdos, which can check Excadrill finely. Furthermore, having a somewhat Kyurem-Black check is also appreciated, as Rotom doesn't really like switching into Earth Powers. Therefore, it would be optimal to change Heliolisk to Assault Vest Eelektross with Drain Punch, Knock Off, U-Turn, and Rock Slide. Knock Off and Drain Punch are self explanatory, while Rock Slide lets you check Volcarona and Mega Charizard Y, and U-Turn gives you momentum.

I really think Power Gem is redundant on Mega Ampharos, especially the fact that now you have Rock Slide on Eelektross, and so you can opt for Heal Bell, which can prove to be useful against bulkier matchups, such as stall Water- and Normal-types, especially against Normal, since Eelektross will be switching in a lot.

Hope I helped! :toast:

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide
Thanks feen ;)

Believe it or not, I have no problems at all with megasaur or amoonguss. Specs flash cannon zone destroys them, and i have ampharos as back up to deal with them too.

Gliscor and zapdos core relies on straight predictions. I would need to land a burn on zapdos with rotom, or i could use a good move on heliolisk that counters zapdos, like toxic and hp ice for gliscor. That would mean no hyper voice, but it could be worth it for dealing with that core.

To be honest, I have never liked any other physical attacker besides thundurus, mainly because he is the only one who has incredible speed and attack power. Assault Vest Eelektross lacks both of those things, so it feels kind of subpar when looking for a good physical attacker.

Thanks for the suggestions though, I will definitely try them out ;)

Sabella

formerly Booty
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Great looking team apples arifeen got to all the suggestions i would make already rip me. The only issues i can see is that generall hp ice on heliolisk wont provide enough power to ohko things like garchomp lando and especially spdf gliscor. I like the suggestions arifeen made another option on eel is giga drain > u turn which can allow u to possibly run something like hp flying or hp ice on magnezone to hit ammongus or garchomp types respectively. And eel as u know gives u another switch in to eq. Sorry if this seems not to well thought out just wanted to say nice job and drop some thoughts good luck fren

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)