ORAS OU Enter the Dragon: Zard X Manaphy balance

Hello folks wanted to put out one more squad before the new meta is upon us, and decided to build around two of my favourite mons competitively, who happen to form a neat core, Charizard X and Manaphy.

Teambuilding Process

Began with this core, of CM Manaphy and DD Zard X since they set up on each other's threats and have general type synergy.

Added Clef for rocks and its lovely resistances as a Fairy.

AV Torn was chosen for its ability to check threats such as Serperior, Keldeo and Gengar. Also provides a nice speed tier and momentum for Charizard.

AV Tangrowth gave the team a nice Regenerator core, completed the F/W/G trio and improved the matchup against weather teams.

Finally Scarfed Drill was added for hazard control, speed and the ability to offensively check Heatran and most Fairies.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

The beast itself. Charizard provides my most frightening win condition, using the Electric and Grass types that threaten Manaphy to set up. The chosen spread always lives and Earthquake from defensive Landorus, and has enough speed to outpace the unboosted tier at +1. The Adamant nature allows this to function better as a wallbreaker as well as a sweeper. The moveset is standard, Roost lets it set up on a wider list of mons such as Rotom-W. Dragon Claw and Flare Blitz provide the most reliable coverage.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Rest

Most common source of wins. Calm Mind Manaphy was chosen over the popular Tail Glow set for the excellent role compression it provides; it serves as a tremendous physical wall early game as well as one of the most stupidly powerful win cons late on. The spread is standard, the speed is for Adamant base 70s, the rest provides ridiculous physical bulk. Moves do exactly what they say on the tin: reliable 100% recovery and immunity from status, a spammable Stab which increases your capacity as a physical wall, and hits 120 base power in the rain. While this set is notorious, it often benefits from opponents sending in an improper response, predicting the Tail Glow set, such as Ferrothorn.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

My go-to rocker of late. Clefable is notable in this role for its matchup vs common leads like defensive Lando and Tankchomp, and the useful ability to get rocks up vs stall. The spread is tried and tested but Calm Mind was chosen over T-wave. This allows it to ravage most variants of Shedinja stall and adds a different win con if Manaphy is excessively worn down from its role as a physical wall. Also sets up past most Water Absorb mons which might provide uncommon blocks to Manaphy. Finally provides a good switch in for the Latis which trouble the first two.

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane
- Knock Off

One of the most splashable mons in the tier and an excellent source of speed and momentum for the team. AV Torn pretty much guarantees you don't lose to Serperior (incidentally Manaphy's biggest threat); even if they catch you with a Glare it can still fulfill this role if kept healthy. Switches into Gengar and Keldeo, avoiding the 2hko if Scarfed and forcing it out if Specs. The spread was chosen over the standard 96/160 Hasty variant because the physical moves are purely utility and the added defense makes a significant difference vs Scizor. The extra offense allows you to sometimes Ohko bulky mega Sciz without rocks, and greatly improves the odds of a ko after rocks. Suffers from the obvious Hurricane syndrome but apart from that just does its job.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Poison Jab

Tangrowth adds an important defensive typing to the team and creates a nice Regenerator core with Torn. Improves the matchup vs Sand and Rain, and allows you to reliably counter TG Manaphy without sacking a mon first. The spread maximizes your special bulk, allowing you to take 2 Hyper Voices from Mega Gardevoir (which is why Poison Jab is chosen). Earthquake was dropped because Heatran lets in Manaphy and loses to everything once knocked off anyway. HP Fire was chosen over Ice to punish common switch ins. Leaf Storm shellacks TG Manaphy, Lando, Garchomp and Slowbro, which are all important mons for the team to weaken.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Toxic​

Obvious enough choice at the end, hazard control was a must and Driller's typing fit much better than Starmie. Kills Fairies, has a healthy speed tier for a scarfer, lures common switch ins with Toxic and occasionally even does its designated job and spins. Dropped Rock Slide for Toxic since luring and wearing down defensive Landorus is very useful. In addition, Rock Slide targets like Talonflame are crippled by Toxic anyway, and in certain circumstances you can bluff a sp def set. Jolly is chosen to punish those stunters who run scarfers without positive speed natures.

Threatlist
Baton Pass - You can outplay with Zard or Manaphy as a lead but if they are smart and preserve Scoli, or if something gets hit with Memento, it usually signals the X.

Lots of checks but no counters obviously.

Belly Drum - Basically if it sets up you have one shot at burning it with Manaphy, although some players try to Aqua Jet if the fear offensive Energy Ball.

Choice Specs - A bit of a pain to deal with but if you can Knock it off with Torn Clef can set up on it.
Replays (these were both in tournaments but are useful illustrations of how the team does vs certain threats)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-476744939
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-476069704 - vs a Volcanion

Importable

EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Manaphy @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Rest

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane
- Knock Off

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Poison Jab

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Toxic
Hope you enjoyed the read, any feedback is appreciated :)

Anish

luckynbad
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey Eoin482!

I really like the idea, of building around Zard X + Manaphy, as Manaphy really enjoys the free switch ins it gets onto Landorus , and helps this team in dealing with Darks. A couple of issues I noted about this team is that it struggles with pokemon like Charizard Mega X, and Birdspam , and relies on a 0 Def AV Tangrowth as a Sand check, making it easy to wear down, while Sand can pressure your other physical defensive Pokémon in Manaphy, by potentially doubling into Tyranitar, and making it fall asleep.Scarf Excadrill also cannot spin rocks away all that reliably, as it loses to some common rocker like Lando T and is choice locked.

Life Orb
> Assault Vest

Firstly I would like to suggest running a standard Life Orb Latios > Tornadus Therian. This change allows you to beat the likes of Belly Drum Azumarill and Volcanion , and allows you to replace AV Tangrowth, as it also provides a check to Manaphy. It also adds a reliable method of removal which is absolutely crucial with Zard X. Thunderbolt is chosen here over Psychic to do a bit more damage to Azumarill, and to not allow Calm Mind Slowbro from punishing this team.

Defensive SD
> Assault Vest

Now that we have a check to bulky waters, I suggest that you run a Leftovers Swords Dance Defensive Stealth Rocks Landorus Therian>Assault Vest Tangrowth This deals with a lot of the threats I had mentioned, helping with Bird Spam, Charizard Mega X, Sand and most physical attackers in general. Swords Dance with Leftovers helps you beat Clefable, and it will help, since I will replace scarf Excadrill.

Life Orb Stallbreaker > Stealth Rocks

Another change I would like to make is to change Clefable to the Life Orb Fire Blast set to punish stallbuilds carrying Amoonguss + Quagsire/ rock Tomb Dugtrio + Unaware Clefable (the combinations, especially the latter, are very common on stall), while also not being complete bait for Bisharp and Scizor Mega with Fire Blast. Some extra Sp Def was added to take on Torn and Psychic Latios and you deal with Lopunny Mega and Weavile well enough anyway, with Defensive Landorus and Def Manaphy.
Choice Scarf
> Choice Scarf

Serperior now is a huge threat to this team. I would like to suggest a Scarf Jirachi> Scarf Excadrill here, as it helps with Pokémon like Serperior, provides Healing Wish support, revenge kills Weavile, and pivots, and still does most of what Excadrill does, checkinf faries, soft checking Latis, and cleaning/revenge killing as well as acting as a bulky ground lure . A Ice Punch set could be very interesting here, luring in Landorus-T and Tankchomp.

Jolly>Adamant DD sweeper

Another minor nitpick would be to use Jolly Zard X to outspeed scarf Lando and scarf Excadrill at +1. The only notable Pokemon that a Adamant Nature hits are Hippowdon, but you have to predict it on the switch anyway, and the team deals with it well enough.

These changes make you weaker to Rain but Calm Mind Manaphy + Clefable do help with it and rain is pretty uncommon and niche in ORAS OU, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Anyway, that's it from me. You can shoot me any questions here, or by PMs, if you have any, regarding my rate. Best of luck with the team, and I hope I helped.
tl;dr
Life Orb
> Assault Vest

Defensive Swords Dance
> Assault Vest

Choice Scarf
> Choice Scarf

Life Orb Stallbreaker

Jolly

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Manaphy @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rain Dance
- Rest

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Defog

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Ice Punch / Heart Stamp
- Healing Wish

Clefable @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Fire Blast

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)