Walrus Epic gamer boy Walrus - Cat 2 reveal Friday 17th 8 PM BST

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Everyone welcome Andy Snype to the walrus. He retro-subbed Shakira - Waka Waka for category 1 and scored 6.

Preface for round 2: This category was a bit of a disaster by design in hindsight. Luckily most of you just sent stuff with samples from other songs instead of my dumbass self-sample exception. For the purpose of cat 12, I'm changing the cat so that the only things that I will accept for a "self sample" will be obvious vocal samples just to make it cut-and-dry—obviously, samples of other songs will still apply regardless. This doesn't apply to the round 2 version of category 2 though so don't worry abt that lol.

Also, when I was going through these on the last sweep at around 7 PM today I realised that I'd forgotten to warn the catfail I had for this during the week (I'm really poorly organised+thought I'd sent the warnings on Monday but hadn't), so I'm adding a rule to this walrus where catfails for cats other than 12 can be retroactively changed. Any score that is not a catfail is obviously locked in, however.

ROUND 2
14th: Energy — -2.0 (Category Fail)
This is a "remix" but from what I can tell it doesn't actually sample its source material so much as imitate it to increase clarity. I can't find any evidence suggesting otherwise on a quick google search, and WhoSampled doesn't say any different, so it will stick. Reminder that you can retroactively re-sub for this.
13th: trace — 2.0
12th: Andy Snype — 3.0
Being generous with this one as it is technically a remix and technically samples the original. I gave a non-exhaustive listen to the original briefly and couldn't really tell much difference but here we are—I'm sure if I listened closer I'd be able to spot it quickly but I don't care for this enough to do that.
11th: BLOODYRAIN10001 — 4.0
This is dull. Sorry. Doesn't go far enough with how it uses its vocal samples and the end result is smth that feels repetitive more than anything else.
10th: RODAN — 5.0
This doesn't sample another song and but I am once again gonna be generous because a) the brass samples meet the loose "self-sample" definition well enough, b) I'm gonna say any remix of a song which samples the original (i.e. not a cover) counts, and c) to keep your wrestling dream alive. Not my cup of tea though. "Bow down to the new champ of WWE" is a bangin' line tho and pretty much singlehandedly pushed this up to a 5.
9th: Aladyyn — 5.2
Something that'll probably become apparent throughout this walrus is that I often just don't listen to lyrics, and this is a case of that. It's got a good fundamental grasp of rapping as I understand it but it just doesn't hold my attention that well in the way that, say, Eminem can.
8th: MyNameIsNothing — 6.0
Nothing offensive. It's just kinda boring on relistens.
7th: Oddish. — 6.2
Yeah, this being a popular song is lagely my fault. This was originally a catfail sub that I didn't realise that I'd forgotten to warn until 7 PM today. Fortunately, there is a lot of popular music that I've not heard due to not following the mainstream, and this isn't an exception. I'm not huge on this sorta music really. It just doesn't hold my attention all that well.
6th: termi — 6.4
Once again, nothing offensive. It's just kinda boring on re-listens.

5th: Lectrys — 7.0
I cross-checked Lectrys' claim that this samples Michael Jackson - Beat It and apparently it does. Anyway, this is giving me some classic rock vibes, which I like.
4th: Panic Station — 7.2
I like vocal sampling a lot and this uses it well. I wasn't listening to the lyrics (like I said before, I often don't) but rapping is one of the times where I like hearing lots of syllables per line.
3rd: vonFiedler — 8.0
My kinda song. Nothing else to say.
2nd: Da Letter El — 8.2
This creates a really cool effect alongside it just being a good song. Really enjoyed it.
1st: Duskfall98 — 9.0
This is very basic-bitch. That said, anyone who knew me well when the Firebot server was still active should know I like this song a lot despite having not listened to all that much Kanye. Another case like the Ricky Martin sub from last week, except that this one's not scored higher than I think it deserves objectively.
Scores after round 2
Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 23.03.48.png

Energy don't forget that you can still retroactively re-sub to replace that catfail

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Heya lads, setting a date in stone bc it just won’t happen otherwise. Cat 3 reveal will be on Sunday 13th. Also, in the interest of accessibility, I am updating the scope of the category to account for character-specific battle themes across all video games, so if ud prefer to not sub a FG tune feel free to update ur sub accordingly.

I noticed this in your changed categories section:
EDIT: in the interest of accessibility, this category is now simply for character-specific battle themes in video games—not tied to any genre anymore
I picked a stage/game mode theme from a fighting game that fit the old Category 3 definition (you can make a good case that it's a battle theme for a rather generic set of characters) - can I keep it or will it catfail?

Martin

I noticed this in your changed categories section:

I picked a stage/game mode theme from a fighting game that fit the old Category 3 definition (you can make a good case that it's a battle theme for a rather generic set of characters) - can I keep it or will it catfail?
Hello, looking at your sub it was sorta borderline for the old category and doesn’t fit with the new one, so it’s probably safest for you to re-sub here. I’m looking for something a little more character specific.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)