ORAS UU Erased: UU Trick Room

DrReuniclus

Smogon's full of bullies.
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Introducation
Hey, welcome to my second RMT! The team is based around an under used strategy in the underused metagame, trick room. I've used variants of trick room teams throughout my time on smogon building many teams that I have found enjoyable, however I believe this to be one of my best trick room teams that I've built as of yet. It might be a little old, but I still believe it to work relatively well in the metagame and I feel it overall is just a lot of fun to play, especially when done correctly. Mostly, the goal of this team is to get up trick room with your setters and either beat out something that one of the wallbreakers may have trouble with or go in with one of the wallbreakers to wreck havoc over the opposing team. Anyways, I hope you enjoy my team!

Teambuilding
I started off with something that I normally use on semi-trick room but I thought would be fun on full trick room and is one of my favorite pokemon, reuniclus.
I chose Crawdaunt as my first trick room abuser as it has great offensive coverage coupling with reuniclus and reuniclus also helps kill a lot of the physically defensive threats crawdaunt can't beat, while crawdaunt can take care of a decent amount of specially defensive threats.
Next I decided that I needed a u-turn resist/something to help with beedrill and another Trick Room setter, so I decided to go with cofagrigus as it also gives a nice fighting immunity for later.
I decided to go with snorlax for another physical attacker under trick room and it can take a lot of the special attacks that cofag couldn't take as well and it takes advantage of the fact that cofagrigus can deal with a lot of the steel types in uu and can switch into fighting types relatively well. I originally had abomasnow here to deal with bulky waters, however I later changed this due to wanting to be less hazard weak as hazards are a pain more than ever to trick room.
I still needed stealth rock on the team and a physical setter, so with a lot of useful resistances and utility, I decided to go with bronzong.
Finally, I decided on sylveon to be my last wallbreaker as it makes 3 special attackers and 3 physical attackers along with adding a special attacker as a wallbreaker rather than a setter and it has nice defensive typing to pair with bronzong.

Sets & Explanation

Reuniclus @ Life Orb

Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room

- Psyshock

- Focus Blast

- Shadow Ball

This is the standard Trick Room Reuniclus set with 0 Atk IVs to minimize foul play damage and 0 Speed IVs to "outspeed" under trick room. Reuniclus is useful as most trick room teams have a problem with hazards as fitting a spinner/defogger onto a team like this is a real pain. Magic guard allows reuniclus to come in undamaged due to hazards and get trick room up against some pokemon that the other setters wouldn't be able to due to either hazards or not being bulky enough. It also helps a lot as most of the mons on this team really hate status one way or another so it makes for a good status absorber. I run psyshock over psychic for stuff like blissey and florges/sylveon, but you could probably run psychic if you really wanted. Reuniclus, although it is a setter, can also be an effective wallbreaker on its own with the given coverage and can take lives under trick room especially with a life orb proving the calm mind set isn't the only set for it.

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb

Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off

- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Crawdaunt is a very powerful wallbreaker under trick room as it is very hard to switch into due to adaptability in combination with its stab typing of dark/water and not much really outslows that is a huge threat or can switch in safely. I opted with life orb over band on crawdaunt due to its ability to force switches on many of the pokemon in uu and I need to take as much advantage as I can of trick room when it is up and switching out because you are locked into the wrong move is a large waste of turns which are extremely valuable under trick room. I also decided on the last move being superpower as ice beam was mostly meant for things like mence, who is no longer in the tier, and chesnaught, who I have a hard switchin to with reuniclus and sylveon. Superpower allows you to hit big threats to trick room like hydreigon and gives you a chance to ohko cobalion if with the adamant nature. SD could debatably be used here to try and set up on protects that stall out trick room, but being able to kill hydreigon, who can be a major threat to trick room, takes it for me.

Cofagrigus @ Colbur Berry

Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Trick Room

- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot

- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Some people might think cofagrigus is a weird choice for a gen 6 uu trick room team, but even now its still relatively good and can work just as good as its gen 5 counterpart. For the item, I chose a colbur berry, which weakens super-effective dark type moves. This is to allow cofagrigus to set up trick room on a lot of different threats that it would otherwise either have trouble setting up on or outright die to, including hydreigon, krookodile, crawdaunt, and +2 mega absol, although it might be a roll after stealth rock in cofagrigus's favor. This allows it to at least get up support for one of the wallbreakers before it dies if it is up against one of these pokemon. Hp fighting is chosen as its fourth move to hit normal types and dark types super effective which are the two major things it cannot hit with its stab. Another use for cofagrigus is that it is also able to set up against pokemon like forretress and cresselia that are too bulky for the rest of this team to beat and can sweep or take out a lot of pokemon if it is able to get to +2 or +4 under nasty plot and set up a trick room.

Snorlax @ Choice Band

Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Brave Nature
- Return
- Facade
- Earthquake

- Pursuit

Snorlax is amazing against teams without a a steel or ghost type and is able to run over most of them with his stab. The EVs on this set are meant so snorlax can take 2 of Entei's Sacred Fire + burn damage to be able to kill the threat with facade even if trick room is down. Band is chosen over life orb because of how spammable normal type is and the fact that snorlax can tank hits better than crawdaunt and thus needs the hp. 2 normal stab moves in return and facade are used because they are situational. Facade is useful under situations where snorlax gets burned from switching into a scald/sacred fire or the opposing team wants toxic spikes up, which is generally very good against most trick room teams. These situations turn what would normally be a mon that you should deathfodder into an insane wallbreaker with an 140 bp base stab attack. When snorlax is not statused however, it is better to go for return. Earthquake is good for hitting steels and pursuit is mostly to trap things like chandelure which would otherwise be a huge pain to this team, similarly to how it is a problem for a lot of trick room teams.

Bronzong @ Colbur Berry

Ability: Levitate
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball

- Trick Room

- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

Bronzong is the stealth rock user of the team and is probably the go to lead a decent portion of the time. Again, I use colbur berry as it helps with a lot of the same things as cofagrigus, but it also helps with lead match up even more as a decent portion of the time you are going to see SR users like mamoswine, nidoqueen or krookodile leading off against this predicting the lead at which point you can take any of their moves and proceed to get up trick room and either predict trading rocks or just explode on their face. Explosion is good because it allows you to bring in one of your wallbreakers safely and easily after you get trick room up. Bronzong is also useful as a switch into mamo, kyurem, fairies, and just various other pokemon with its amazing typing and makes sure stuff like sylveon unable to just lock into a STAB hyper voice unpunished.

Sylveon @ Choice Specs

Ability: Pixilate
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hyper Voice

- Psyshock

- Hidden Power [Fire]

- Shadow Ball

Sylveon is actually amazing under trick room. Imagine being able to outspeed stuff like cobalion, mamoswine, krookodile and a ton of uu's largest wallbreakers while using a spa boosting sylveon. 90% of the time with sylveon you are going to opt to click hyper voice, although I used hp fire for steels and shadow ball for chandelure/metagross, which makes me switch the IVs for the hidden power so I can't truly minimize the speed. Sylveon punches holes on so many teams that not even many of the steel types in the tier can stop it from spamming hyper voice or can only switch into it once and fear its coverage a ton. Sylveon also provides great defensive synergy with bronzong, which can take many poison and steel type attacks for it while sylveon can take the dark type moves and just general special attacks bronzong doesn't want to take. It also has enough speed because of the IVs to outspeed some of the stuff outside of trick room that the rest of the team would be unable to.

Importable
Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Cofagrigus @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Brave Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Snorlax @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Brave Nature
- Return
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Bronzong @ Colbur Berry
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

Threatlist
CM Suicune is actually a major pain with this team as if it gets a cm up sylveon has trouble killing it, snorlax usually has to predict a burn to facade or not to burn and return, which can be really troubling when you get it wrong and can't kill it the next turn because of that.
Most defensive steels are a real pain for a decent amount of the team as I have to rely on 2 mons to basically be able to take care of them and putting a picture of mega aggron here as he is probably the biggest offender out of all of them, but this goes for more than just him
This was made before conk became completely discovered in uu, but I can tell you that it is a pain to switch into and I usually have to predict around playing it as with its normal coverage it can basically hit anything on this team with super effective coverage and is bulky enough to tank a lot of stuff this team can throw at it.
Entei is a bit of a pain to switch into as both of the resists don't really like taking the burn from sacred fire and it hits everything on this team hard regardless of resists and is a bother to kill with certain pokemon out.
Opposing sylveon can also be a pain sometimes as specs is irritating to switch into especially after bronzong is dead and wish protect takes up turns of trick room that are vary valuable and is hard to kill.

Taunt and getting flinched by stuff like dark pulse are two other major pains for this team as the dark pulse flinch can get rid of berries and take up a turn (and as most of your pokemon are slow this WILL happen sometimes), while taunt can prevent you from getting up trick room until you send out a mon that can beat the taunt user.

Replays

Conclusion
So that's about it for the team. Trick room in general may require some lesser used pokemon in the UU metagame, but overall its really fun to actually build and play when you use it enough. Some tips I suggest if you wanna try building a trick room team (at least in uu) are just try your best to use your setters and wallbreakers to their full potential to waste the least amount of turns possible, try and keep a split between your special attackers and physical attackers and use an even number of setters and wallbreakers. I encourage people to make their own teams and hope you have fun with this one. And yes, believe it or not, I can actually play and build in this tier contrary to popular belief or at least do my best. I don't joke about everything.

Last edited:

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Hi, man nice TR team you've got there. I personally am a big fan of TR teams as they are so fun to use. Though you pretty much summed up your weaknesses i.e. any bulky steel type that can take a hit.
Now, though you team is pretty much self sufficient but still some stuff can help you a lot especially against stall team against which TR teams generally struggle a little bit.(Specially since your crawdaunt doesn't have swords dance)

1) Cresslia >> cofagrious( don't know the spelling lol) as tbh lunar dance is an excellent move which allows you to play much more recklessly with your wall breakers. You kind of become a little heracross weak but it shouldn't matter in the long run as you are going to set TR anyways.

2) Your steel matchup is a little tough especially with some right prediction. So, Pangoro >> Snorlax with moldbreaker to comfortably break through mega aggron, while still having STAB knock off to hit doublade and gunk shot to deal with fairies. You can also use banded machamp for confusion hax or conkelldurr for priority but both generally struggle against fairies a bit and also pangoro having STAB knock off helps a lot. As you have lunar dance now you can easily play it more recklessly.
Iron fist hammer arm is also an option.

3) Crawdaunt tbh is slow to start with so you can run a bit of speed and swords dance to still efficiently dismantle stall. I am not exactly good with EVs so you can figure out what you want to outspeed on stall teams and then adjust accordingly.
Pangoro @ Choice Band/Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 HP
Brave Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Parting Shot

Cresselia @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Lunar Dance
- Moonblast / Ice Beam
(Make IVs zero)

Well, that's all and best of luck :)

Last edited:
Hey. I noticed that you have no mega on your team. As you said, you're also weak to Suicune, Mega Aggron, and Entei. You also have no pivot on your team.

In light of all those, I have a suggestion.

Mega Ampharos > Snorlax

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast​

It can switch into Sacred Fires from Entei and Scalds from Suicune with no fear of burn and either get a kill with Thunderbolt or pivot out with Volt Switch.

252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mega Ampharos: 117-138 (30.4 - 35.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and burn damage

BTW this thing hits like a truck. It's the best anti-Suicune 'mon perhaps in the whole of UU. Just switch this thing in. Even if Suicune has a Calm Mind up, it's still going to get smacked around.

252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Thunderbolt vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 230-272 (56.9 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

On top of that, Focus Blast on this monster has the chance to OHKO Mega Aggron.

252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Mega Aggron: 316-374 (91.8 - 108.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Snorlax, while a good idea, is limited as a Trick Room sweeper by its STAB not being super effective against anything and it being restricted to one move. Mega Ampharos has an arsenal of moves which let it gets past or dent a good majority of the tier. And if it can't get past something, it has Volt Switch for momentum.

This will make your team weaker to Sylveon, but I think it's worth it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)