Evasion Clause Expansion v2.0

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
The last time that Evasion Clause was discussed, it went nowhere. Now that the OU metagame has effectively settled, and we are now placing things like Scald under legitimate scrutiny, discussion of evasion increasing/accuracy lowering elements may prove more relevant.

Elements in Question (in order of relevancy): Brightpowder, Lax Incense, Sand Veil, Snow Cloak, Sand Attack (+clones), and moves with a secondary effect of lowering accuracy or increasing evasion.

I am strongly in favor of a universal Brightpowder/Lax Incense ban. Sand Veil is debatable. The rest are fairly irrelevant, in my opinion. (Note that this is only considering the OU metagame, bar the items)

What do we currently prohibit? Most relevantly, Double Team and Minimize. I do not think that we can argue that any of these elements are abhorrently inconsistent when we have universally banned Double Team. It, on average, has less than a 10% chance of causing a legitimate miss (the 75% chance the turn that they use it does not count, as the opponent wasted that turn using Double Team). I don't think that opportunity cost is a solid argument either because of the same precedent. Double Team takes up an entire moveslot and an entire turn. I would argue that in most of the cases, using Brightpowder or sacrificing Rough Skin bears significantly less cost. The only redeeming factor is the fact that evasion boosts stack, but that doesn't change the fact that getting set up to a threatening point is very unlikely. My original post on Double Team:

MikeDawg said:
Double team isn't broken. One double team and you lose 25% accuracy, but you get a free turn! That's only a little less than stone edge and more than focus blast! Plus you get a free turn to make up for the miss chance. You only have a 25% chance of missing that Earthquake on Char-X! Then you get another turn after they use it for another 75% chance! You only have a 6% chance of missing twice. In fact, you have a 3/4 chance of your opponent having wasted his turn, and probably getting KO'd in the process! If you don't hit them, it's as if nothing happened, because they would have used that turn to attack anyway, and you can always hit them in the next turn. It's only a 6% chance to miss both! That's less than brightpowder! If they decide to go for another double team, the opportunity cost increases because they only get a 15% loss in accuracy this time! Double team is practically a waste of a move, AND it takes up a moveslot!

Why is it banned, again? For the same reason that the other means of increasing evasion should be: it's a crappy strategy as far as consistency goes, but it can take the game out of the players' hands and into the hands of RNG. Brightpowder/Lax Incense take an item slot, but double team takes an entire turn AND a moveslot. A very nice tradeoff if you ask me!

Items: The two accuracy-lowering items serve literally no purpose other than introducing hax into the game. For this reason, the consistency of them is unimportant in my opinion. There is no relevant counter-play (such as switching out in the case of Sand Attack). They have universal distribution (bar megas). They have arguably low opportunity cost on relevant mons. Clefable, for example, can make great use of these items. It is a common Knock Off absorber, so it is frequently playing itemless anyway, it typically stays on the field for a long time, so it has a greater chance of avoiding a move, and its item isn't completely necessary for its success. Their low usage is not a legitimate argument for not considering them for a ban. How much usage do you think Double Team would actually get?

Abilities: Garchomp and Gliscor are the relevant OU mons that take advantage of evasion-boosting abilities. A 25% loss in accuracy is huge. These, however, require support: sand must be up. This is different from gen 5, because weather is no longer permanent, so Sand Veil is voided after those 7 turns. The decline of weather is also a boon, though. It is far less likely that the perma sand will be replaced by perma rain or sun, extending the duration of Sand Veil abuse in some instances. It's not as if setting sand is super difficult, either. Tyrannitar and Hippowdon are both great mons in their own right, and they will be on the field frequently. doughboy recently made a team featuring dual Sand Veil mons that peaked #1 on the ladder. Most notable about this achievement in the context of evasion discussion is that laddering requires consistency, meaning that Sand Veil spam, while luck-based, was consistent enough to top the ladder. Sidenote: shorter weather duration means that Brightpowder is perhaps more potent on Sand Veil mons, as those extra subs provided by Leftovers may not happen before sand runs out anyway.

Moves: These are not an issue, in my opinion. They can be easily played around by simply switching out. The only worthwhile discussion is Acupressure, and that is irrelevant simply because of poor distribution. But hey, if you are opinionated about the affects of Sand Attack, then argue away!

Moral of the story: these are all elements that add pure luck to the game. In the case of the items, this is the sole purpose of running them. Is that grounds for expansion of the Evasion Clause?

Edit: Perhaps it is worth adding Quick Claw/Focus Band/etc to discussion? I'm primarily interested in evasion since there is already a clause and precedent for these things being banned, but these items are also equally useless outside of hax.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
As you mentioned in your OP, this was brought up before (It was pretty recent, in January.) No action was taken then. What's changed between then and now? doughboy made one annoying sand veil team? I think the reason this hasn't gotten any responses is because most people don't see the point of talking about Bright Powder, Sand Veil, et al again. Most everyone would just C/P all their old posts anyway.

All of my thoughts on this are pretty much covered in my rmt, but I'll leave some additional comments here because I opened up this can of worms.

The only reason Sand Veil is still in the tier and the reason why no one is talking about it now is simply because A. it has not seen much exposure in tournaments and B. we have bigger fish to fry. Right now we have an inconsistent tiering philosophy regarding evasion. The double team / minimize ban were made to reduce the impact of luck on the game. Yet if I have conditions+item that mimics a +1 double team Garchomp its totally legal. Its the same evasion boost and 8 turns is plenty of time to maneuver yourself into a position to use Sand Veil. The last time we gave the people a choice to remove Sand Veil, only 6.1% of people felt Sand Veil was appropriate for OU. Granted, sand isn't permanent now and there isn't some movement to unban Garchomp, but the statistic shows there is an almost ubiquitous dislike for Sand Veil.

I'm going to be honest here and admit that I wouldn't use a team primarily based around Sand Veil in a tournament. I am confident in my own abilities to play with a team that has a consistent strategy where I am in the driver's seat to play optimally. A Sand Veil team relies upon luck to play optimally. I think many other tournament players hold this sentiment about themselves, which is why you don't see Sand Veil in tournament play. Problems arise when players believe they do not have the skill to outplay their opponent or when players realize their opponents straight up are more skillful than them, so they can't play optimally with normal teams. In the latter situation, a smart competitive player realizes it would be in their best interest to use a strategy that does not rely wholly upon his own abilities and instead have an extraneous factor such as luck or matchup dictate optimal play, not themselves. These players are giving themselves the best chance to win, and can you really blame them for that? SwagPlay, Baton Pass, Sand Veil, and related strategies are best described as unskillful, which is what I think most people really mean to say when they constantly throw around uncompetitive.

The Sand Veil problem is only going to be further aggravated by the baton pass ban implementation in the near future and the eventual Flying Gem release in the far future that makes Gliscor way better. Until its ban, we are leaving a gap in tournament play where skill can largely be compensated for by an extraneous factor (in this case luck). We shouldn't wait to address this problem until latter in World Cup or some other big tour when everyone loses their shit when some dude successfully uses a simple TTar + Sand Veil Garchomp pairing to pull out a big win when his back is against the wall and is about to lose. OU Council just do us all a favor and ban Sand Veil / Snow Cloak to nip this problem in the bud.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)