Everything to Know About Shit Talking In Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Am I just to assume that everything in this thread is ironic, otherwise this seems a little too edgy/we live in a society-ish for me.

Fine to shit talk your friends and acquaintances when you know and they know it's just tongue in cheek, fine, shit-talking random people you don't know on ladder..not always but more often than not you'll just come across as douchey. Real life sports and stuff and online internet games are just two different things.
It’s not ironic... OP and friends of OP are 18 or younger, some young people actually think in these terms because either life hasn’t been enough of a bitch to them to teach them otherwise, or they’ve had it way too rough and are projecting because of childhood trauma. The most ironic yet also accurate comment was the one EV made.

Disappointed to see this thread really does not look at the idea of tactical shittalk more seriously
Well played shit-talk is a legitimate mindgame, it just needs to be applied correctly.

Opponents good to shit-talk:
opponents against whom you are favored to lose (depends on the player but often times high level players feel an increased pressure to beat low-level opponents in order to reaffirm their high level status. Since Pokémon is a game of skill and luck, the better player does not always win. Losing to a "shit-talking scrub" can do a lot to a player's ability to play to their full potential)

opponents you know are emotional players (players who "go with their gut" frequently or who are known for raging/complaining are especially vulnerable to shit talk)

Essentially you are trying to create an additional and artificial layer of pressure for your opponent to deal with. If you think your opponent is susceptible to playing worse under pressure, shit-talk may exacerbate that quality. Some opponents play better with additional pressure, or simply have such good playing mentality that it does not effect their play. Save yourself embarrassment and assume your opponent will play better if you shit talk them until they demonstrate to you that they are vulnerable to it.

Good times to shit-talk:

you got lucky and it put your opponent slightly behind (your opponent will feel "robbed" and they may also underestimate you based on your readiness to brag about simply being lucky. It is always good to be underestimated.)

your opponent misclicked/realized they misplayed right after input (they already feel like shit, shit-talking in this instance can increase the chances of them going on tilt)

In a best of 3 format, you won the first game narrowly (Two ways to go about it here. You can attempt to disguise the fact that you only barely won and create the illusion that the difference in skill between you and your opponent is greater than it really is. That works best on less experienced players. Against more experienced players you may want to use your shit-talk to push the idea that you are not a very good player and you simply lucked out. Again, remember, it is always to your advantage to be underestimated.)

The worst times to shit-talk:

Because you are actually mad (if your urge to shit-talk comes from a place of emotion rather than the desire to mislead/pressure your opponent mentally then it is safe to say you are tilted and not playing to the best of your ability. Take a break.)

You just lost (just makes you look like a bitch and provides 0 tactical advantage)

You got unlucky and it put you behind (this will probably just improve your opponent's mood. It will probably give them additional confidence)

As for the actual content of shit-talk, I personally prefer brevity and sarcasm. You'd be surprised how much a simple "lol" or "nice one" can get someone in their feelings. It also gives you a certain defense against shit-talk as it will demonstrate that you are not getting emotional in response.

The most important takeaway I would say is this: don't play emotionally. Play with the goal of learning and improving rather than winning. You cannot win every game, if your goal is improvement it becomes possible for every battle, win or lose, to be a success for you. If your mentality is good, you can miss 4 stone edges in a row and move on with your life. If your mentality is great, you are immune to shit talk. If your mentality is perfect, you will never go on tilt.

Kate

Metamodernity
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
RBTT Champion
Strangely forgot to add the part where he shit talks my unable to talk ass earlier in the day and gets warned. I guess facts only work when they suit your case.

I used to do that a lot around a decade ago, but nowadays I'm tired to even type, I just type "ggez" at team preview and then ignore spectators+opp
Some stuff though:
1)You can fake lack of knowledge, either by talking with friends watching you or typeing !data pokemon/moveset like a retard for the opponent to underestimate you
2) if you're planning to do a crazy manoeuvre you need to do that asap, many watch the timer to feel if you're in trouble, it's one of the situations where instinct is above your intellect, who'll slow you down.
3) Conversely, you can wait some time intentionally to make it seem you're in trouble and ease a specific bait situation.

Last edited:
i never been a big shit talker unless it was back when i still played madden years ago against friends for money. only other time i remember shit talking, esp in a pokemon game was as a kid my brother didnt have patience to play the whole game to get super powered pokemon so i gave him my level 100 muk and challenged him "with 1 leveled guy and a rest of the team rattata" (he was like 7 at the time), he was so eager to finally beat me... didnt tell him my 1 leveled guy was mewtwo...
he didnt talk to me for a week

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It's only shit talk if you do it before stuff is settled, if you do it after you've already won then you're just an asshole. There's also a rule on Showdown against being an asshole, so it looks like a perfectly legitimate chatban to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)