SM PU Eviolite Wooper Tanking things in the second lowest tier

Hey, I am SilkScarfGroudon and in this post I'm showcasing a PU team.

So let's get right into it!

The Team
1571055075399.png
1571055118052.png
1571055150984.png

1571055207738.png
1571055291808.png
1571055346219.png

Movesets, IVs ands EVs

1571055075399.png

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Knock Off

Eelektross is the best PU pivot with assault vest and volt switch and good coverage (even if itself doens't need it that much). It can sursprise ground types trying to get in the field by switching into Volt Switch or use knock off in eviolite Pokemon before getting out of the scene with its volt switch to get in things like gurdurr or aggron

1571055118052.png

Claydol @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

Claydol is the lead in the team and is here to set stealth rocks and spin the enemy's hazards away while threatening the opponent with Earth Power and Psychic. Claydol is very bulky and can tank even some grass or dark moves and use it's STABS to threaten the opponent immediately.

1571055150984.png

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

Gurdurr, one of the staples of the tier and with good reasons. Gurdurr is naturally bulky and can tank very well a lot of hits from other things, and it can't be killed by physical attacks after some bulk ups wich also makes its Mach Punches and Knock offs extremely destructive and its drain punch while being powerful alone, with bulk ups it's unstoppable.

1571055207738.png
Aggron @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge

The big and bulky aggron is here to dish out damage like never seen before with a devastating Head Smash wich is boosted by STAB and destructive Doubles-Edges. Aggron normally has no problem switching in something like a locked kangaskhan (if not lock in a fighting move) and other things it resists. Yes, fighting and ground threatens it a lot, but it was able to survive a jump kick from dodrio before Head Smashing it away, so I think it isn't so big of a problem. Aggron is also a good bait for water moves to get Gastrodon in.

1571055291808.png

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Toxic

The ever annoying Gastrodon here to... well... Annoy people, by spreading burns and toxics while switching in water moves and being even more annoying while using its own water moves and ground moves, a combination that only Grass types like will resist, but for this I have other things like Eelektross.

1571055346219.png

Wooper @ Eviolite
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Scald
- Earthquake

Ah yes... Wooper, the star of the team... Well, it isn't quagsire, but I think it's a good substitute for it because with eviolite eviolite it gains a nice 300+ def. Yes, all it's other stats are pretty much garbage, but the low overall power level from PU makes it fits in the tier quite nicely because it plays quagsires roll just as well as quagsire.

I hope you all liked the team, because I sure did and forgive me for any mispronounces, I'm not fluent in english yet.​

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello SilkScarfGroudon,

I can appreciate the exploration of a Pokemon like Wooper after a loss such as Quagsire. That shows your mind is already on track of thinking about legitimate innovation which is a key thing top players will actively try to do. It is also what drives metagame changes so it is good to try and think like that in a game like Pokemon. Wooper sadly just doesn't really function very well in practice as it has paper thin defenses even with an Eviolite attached so it has trouble switching in and beating Pokemon like Gurdurr. Unfortunately, your team is very flawed in several ways as well. You have a lot of questionable set choices which more then likely comes from a lack of knowledge which will come with practice and time so I would suggest looking at the competitive Smogon Pokedex to get a general idea of what is commonly run to get a better understanding on the topic. I will link that for you, here. There is also a serious lack of synergy on the team with many overlapping weaknesses with a weakness to Grass-types being really obvious and exploitable when you consider Victreebel is a very common Pokemon being ran in this metagame. Your team has no form a speed control which leaves you very vulnerable to wallbreakers and sweepers. There is no real way to change this team to patch up every weakness and add support without actually changing it to the point of being an entirely new team, but it can defiantly be improved overall.

Set Changes:

:eelektross:
:sm/eelektross:
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature ---> Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Knock Off

This is a pretty minor change but one worth making. The only time you will want to run a quite nature on Eelektross is if you are running Drain Punch, which is not very common anymore as it's main target was Guzzlord who is no longer in the tier. It only makes Knock off slightly stronger and Knock Off doesn't really target something in particular it is used more for its utility. That being said I do feel Knock Off does more in general, but I feel Drain Punch can still be used to lure in Drampa which is pretty threatening for your team as you have no real way of switching into it. Drampa can still be revenged killed without much of a problem so it may not be worth running in the majority of matchups.

:gurdurr:
:sm/gurdurr:
Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fists ---> Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 Def

Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

Iron Fist isn't really used on Gurdurr for a few reasons. Iron Fist is done better by Hitmonchan in general who is faster and has more of a need to run it as it is the better of its two abilities. Gurdurr likes to set up with Bulk Up so this makes Guts a really good ability on it as it can help in absorbing burn status as well as not being completely crippled by it. It can also absorb Toxic, but that is usually not the best thing to do as you want Gurdurr to be able to finish games an generally just have it be healthy throughout the game. Gurdurr typically runs a lot of bulk, just like this spread I am showing you. This helps it check things like Stoutland and Aggron much better, but it is really important for your team as it is really your best answer to things like Hitmonchan and Primeape.

:aggron:
:sm/aggron:
Aggron @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Iron Head ---> Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Double Edge ---> Aqua Tail

You want to be running speed on your wallbreakers so you are not getting outpaced by things you shouldn't be, in this case it's other Adamant Aggron and things like Eelektross which will speed tie you. Learning speed tiers and how they effect game play is a crucial skill to have and the very basic thing to know about them is offensive Pokemon generally dictate which speed tiers are important. Aggron being a very offensive breaker is going to have Pokemon near its speed level look to outpace it so having no speed on it will pretty much leave it outpaced by everything near it's speed tier when you consider a lot of wallbreakers are looking to outpace base 50's because of Pokemon like Audino and Eelektross. Double Edge actually does a cool thing in 2hkoing sassy 148 defense Gastrodon, but Earthquake can do that after Stealth Rock damage so that does a good job of breaking Gastrodon anyway. Aqua Tail is going to be hitting Mudsdale for some serious damage which is way more beneficial for your team. Aqua Tail also hits Claydol for a 2hko. Iron Head is usually much weaker the Heavy Slam as Pokemon in PU are generally pretty light and the heavier Pokemon are getting hit very hard by Head Smash.

Pokemon Changes:

:claydol: ---> :Regirock:
:sm/regirock:
Regirock @ Chople Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Drain Punch
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

This is my offensive Regirock set it works good here as it OHKOs Oricorio which is really one of the main reasons I would suggest this as your Stealth Rock user as the teams win conditions really need Oricorio out of the way. Eelktross checks Oriocorio well but actually can't reliably beat Oricorio-Pom-Pom, however, Eelektross paired with Regirock gives you a very reliable way of dealing with Oricorio. Regirock also takes pressure off of Gurdurr which is important as you need Gurdurr to win in a good amount of match ups.

:gastrodon: ---> :dodrio:
:sm/dodrio:
Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Frustration
- Jump Kick
- Pursuit

Assuming you wanted to keep Wooper I put Dodrio here. Gastron and Wooper both do more or less the same role and share typing so having both on the same team is very redundant and takes away from other options you could have chosen. Honestly I would say there are better options then both Gastrodon and Wooper here as I feel Gurdurr also checks similar Pokemon so you could change up the team even more making it more effective, but I think this would change the team way to much from it's original form and is just nice advice to give to help you in future builds. Your team needed a Choice Scarf user pretty desperately and I think Dodrio fits well for what the team needs. I was unable to fit hazard control back on the team as it would have needed more changes so that is pretty unfortunate, but even with out hazard control I feel Dodrio still warrants a team slot here. It helps against offensive teams quite well as it is in a very high speed tier, this lets it check Primeape which takes some pressure off of Gurdurr and Wooper. Wooper can actually be 2HKOed by Primeape after Stealth Rock damage and is 2HKOed after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes, which isn't uncommon to see with Primeape. Dodrio is a good win condition in its own right so this paired with Aggron makes a cool offensive core as well.

Team Changes <--- Click for importable.

Hello SilkScarfGroudon,

I can appreciate the exploration of a Pokemon like Wooper after a loss such as Quagsire. That shows your mind is already on track of thinking about legitimate innovation which is a key thing top players will actively try to do. It is also what drives metagame changes so it is good to try and think like that in a game like Pokemon. Wooper sadly just doesn't really function very well in practice as it has paper thin defenses even with an Eviolite attached so it has trouble switching in and beating Pokemon like Gurdurr. Unfortunately, your team is very flawed in several ways as well. You have a lot of questionable set choices which more then likely comes from a lack of knowledge which will come with practice and time so I would suggest looking at the competitive Smogon Pokedex to get a general idea of what is commonly run to get a better understanding on the topic. I will link that for you, here. There is also a serious lack of synergy on the team with many overlapping weaknesses with a weakness to Grass-types being really obvious and exploitable when you consider Victreebel is a very common Pokemon being ran in this metagame. Your team has no form a speed control which leaves you very vulnerable to wallbreakers and sweepers. There is no real way to change this team to patch up every weakness and add support without actually changing it to the point of being an entirely new team, but it can defiantly be improved overall.

Set Changes:

:eelektross:
:sm/eelektross:
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature ---> Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Knock Off

This is a pretty minor change but one worth making. The only time you will want to run a quite nature on Eelektross is if you are running Drain Punch, which is not very common anymore as it's main target was Guzzlord who is no longer in the tier. It only makes Knock off slightly stronger and Knock Off doesn't really target something in particular it is used more for its utility. That being said I do feel Knock Off does more in general, but I feel Drain Punch can still be used to lure in Drampa which is pretty threatening for your team as you have no real way of switching into it. Drampa can still be revenged killed without much of a problem so it may not be worth running in the majority of matchups.

:gurdurr:
:sm/gurdurr:
Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fists ---> Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 Def

Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

Iron Fist isn't really used on Gurdurr for a few reasons. Iron Fist is done better by Hitmonchan in general who is faster and has more of a need to run it as it is the better of its two abilities. Gurdurr likes to set up with Bulk Up so this makes Guts a really good ability on it as it can help in absorbing burn status as well as not being completely crippled by it. It can also absorb Toxic, but that is usually not the best thing to do as you want Gurdurr to be able to finish games an generally just have it be healthy throughout the game. Gurdurr typically runs a lot of bulk, just like this spread I am showing you. This helps it check things like Stoutland and Aggron much better, but it is really important for your team as it is really your best answer to things like Hitmonchan and Primeape.

:aggron:
:sm/aggron:
Aggron @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Iron Head ---> Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Double Edge ---> Aqua Tail

You want to be running speed on your wallbreakers so you are not getting outpaced by things you shouldn't be, in this case it's other Adamant Aggron and things like Eelektross which will speed tie you. Learning speed tiers and how they effect game play is a crucial skill to have and the very basic thing to know about them is offensive Pokemon generally dictate which speed tiers are important. Aggron being a very offensive breaker is going to have Pokemon near its speed level look to outpace it so having no speed on it will pretty much leave it outpaced by everything near it's speed tier when you consider a lot of wallbreakers are looking to outpace base 50's because of Pokemon like Audino and Eelektross. Double Edge actually does a cool thing in 2hkoing sassy 148 defense Gastrodon, but Earthquake can do that after Stealth Rock damage so that does a good job of breaking Gastrodon anyway. Aqua Tail is going to be hitting Mudsdale for some serious damage which is way more beneficial for your team. Aqua Tail also hits Claydol for a 2hko. Iron Head is usually much weaker the Heavy Slam as Pokemon in PU are generally pretty light and the heavier Pokemon are getting hit very hard by Head Smash.

Pokemon Changes:

:claydol: ---> :Regirock:
:sm/regirock:
Regirock @ Chople Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Drain Punch
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

This is my offensive Regirock set it works good here as it OHKOs Oricorio which is really one of the main reasons I would suggest this as your Stealth Rock user as the teams win conditions really need Oricorio out of the way. Eelktross checks Oriocorio well but actually can't reliably beat Oricorio-Pom-Pom, however, Eelektross paired with Regirock gives you a very reliable way of dealing with Oricorio. Regirock also takes pressure off of Gurdurr which is important as you need Gurdurr to win in a good amount of match ups.

:gastrodon: ---> :dodrio:
:sm/dodrio:
Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Frustration
- Jump Kick
- Pursuit

Assuming you wanted to keep Wooper I put Dodrio here. Gastron and Wooper both do more or less the same role and share typing so having both on the same team is very redundant and takes away from other options you could have chosen. Honestly I would say there are better options then both Gastrodon and Wooper here as I feel Gurdurr also checks similar Pokemon so you could change up the team even more making it more effective, but I think this would change the team way to much from it's original form and is just nice advice to give to help you in future builds. Your team needed a Choice Scarf user pretty desperately and I think Dodrio fits well for what the team needs. I was unable to fit hazard control back on the team as it would have needed more changes so that is pretty unfortunate, but even with out hazard control I feel Dodrio still warrants a team slot here. It helps against offensive teams quite well as it is in a very high speed tier, this lets it check Primeape which takes some pressure off of Gurdurr and Wooper. Wooper can actually be 2HKOed by Primeape after Stealth Rock damage and is 2HKOed after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes, which isn't uncommon to see with Primeape. Dodrio is a good win condition in its own right so this paired with Aggron makes a cool offensive core as well.

Team Changes <--- Click for importable.
Wow, that's a lot of changes in the team, later I will make the changes and test the team, so thanks for the advices!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)