Exam tips

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Hello people!
I have a major exam coming up soon, bigger than anything I’ve taken before. So I’m rather scared, and just wondering if anyone has any exam tips from your past experiences? (Especially if you took PSLE)

Lu

Said the Moon to the Thief
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Idk, the easy way out would be to study everything a week before and then keep studying until the exam. By doing this you won't get super nervous and you'll be more likely to get the answers right.
Also you'd need to sleep well the day before the exam so make sure to study anything before that time so you don't need to pull an all nighter.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Try to think about what has worked best for you in the past, different people need different preparation for exams. For example, many people just focus on memorizing the theory as much as they can by rereading or repeating it in their minds, as well generally spending a lot of time rehearsing the books.

But it took me a while to realize that strategy didn't work for me at all (I'm bad at memorizing), and that what worked for me was jumping straight to the practical part (for physics, mathematics, etc) and only reading the theory when I'm stuck. As for theory-only subjects, what helped me the most was writing a story or summary of the contents in my own words, as if I was writing a novel. This is just me though, it doesn't work for everyone.

So try to find out which method is best for you, there's not much else to say, Dil covered the rest well.

Oh and a final tip, when I start exams I try to write an outline of the main ideas (for history, literature, etc) or formulas (physics) that I'll need throughout it. It's usually useful for me as it helps me clear my mind and not second-guess myself in the middle of the exam.

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Luckily I've never really needed to study much for exams, having an excellent memory is a wonderful gift. That might change with starting college, however. Everyone has different methods when it comes to studying and exam-taking, so it really depends on what helps you the most.

If you're studying notes and such, definitely don't procrastinate. Don't wait until the night before and then be studying until 3 AM, sleep is just important for good performance on an exam. Also eat a good breakfast beforehand. A good way to memorize notes is actually to write them out because writing things can help your brain memorize the information more effectively. Taking practice exams if you get them or can find them is also a good way of studying.

Another problem I would often have during the exam itself is getting stressed that I wouldn't finish in time. I don't know if this is a problem for you, but if it is I recommend trying your best to clear your mind and instead of focusing on the clock, focus on getting as much of the exam done as you can. Best of luck on your exam, you'll be fine.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
serious: write laws/equations that you would normally memorize on your hands, then when you get your exam paper write them on the first page then lick/rub your hands clean

also serious: study well really, but more important than studying for me is paying good attention in lectures and taking good notes (which is an acquired skill that not all ppl have). I realized early on that i'm rly bad at studying at home and i'd always procrastinate, so i balanced that out with rly paying attention in class and understanding the material (and don't be afraid to ask questions) + good/summarized notes. then it's all about refreshing my memory before the exam.

for studying itself i like low background non-disruptive music (just select random chill playlists from youtube) while studying cuz it helps me relax

and finally, don't do last-minute reviews before entering the exam hall, they're useless. you're most likely just make yourself more anxious while not learning anything of use

i like to remember the base equations only for a given topic, so if i am going into a heat transfer test, i only try to remember the heat equation and a general energy balance, and derive everything else on the test. it makes so i commit less to memory to focus more on problem solving

One thing that kept me going through an exam is not comparing yourself with other classmates and just keep a right head. If you get out of the exam hall knowing you did the best you can do then that’s just the best feeling there is to it. Organised revision months beforehand is definitely key to success as if you obviously leave it late, you know you’re most likely not going to do well. That’s helped me throughout my GCSE’s and going into A Levels too so I hope that helps someone reading this!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)