Battle Spot Excadrill

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[SET]
name: Mold Breaker
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Rock Tomb / Rock Slide
move 4: Horn Drill / Stealth Rock / Swords Dance
item: Choice Scarf / Focus Sash / Assault Vest
ability: Mold Breaker
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Excadrill is one of the few Pokemon with access to Mold Breaker, making it an excellent revenge killer against Mimikyu and Rotom formes thanks to it ignoring their key abilities. Rock Tomb may be weak, but the speed control can be invaluable against potential switch-ins (such as?). Rock Slide is a slightly stronger option that can make slower targets flinch, which is especially useful when paired with Rapid Spin or Choice Scarf. Horn Drill is Excadrill's best chance of defeating Corviknight, and it becomes a 130-Base Power Max Strike that can be used for speed control during Dynamax. Stealth Rock punishes users of Focus Sash and Flying-types, while Swords Dance helps cleaning against slower, weakened teams. Rapid Spin can be used to give Excadrill a Speed boost, notably outspeeding Choice Scarf Rotom formes if used with a Jolly nature, with the bonus of getting rid of opposing entry hazards. Finally, Brick Break is useful not only for breaking dual screens but also for giving Excadrill a way to boost its Attack while Dynamaxed.

Choice Scarf turns this Excadrill into a potent revenge killer, outspeeding important targets such as Mimikyu, Dragapult, and Choice Scarf Rotom formes. When you're using Choice Scarf, a Jolly nature is recommended to outspeed Dragapult and +1 Gyarados and Togekiss. Focus Sash pairs well with Stealth Rock and Swords Dance, letting Excadrill more reliably use these important moves. Alternatively, Assault Vest gives Excadrill a significant boost in special bulk, especially when under Dynamax. When using Assault Vest, consider using bulkier EV spreads to survive specific attacks. For example, 156 Atk / 100 SpD / 252 Spe allows Excadrill to survive Timid Rotom-H's Overheat even after Stealth Rock damage.

Corviknight is chief among Excadrill's problems, as it only particularly fears Horn Drill hitting. Bulky foes like Galarian Corsola and Ferrothorn can also be problematic, especially if Excadrill lacks Swords Dance. This Excadrill loves having Pokemon that specalize in breaking physical walls, so special sweepers like Togekiss and Hydreigon are much appreciated, while special attackers such as Rotom-H and Dragapult also have good matchups versus Excadrill's problems.

[SET]
name: Sand Sweeper
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Swords Dance / Brick Break
item: Life Orb / Focus Sash / Weakness Policy
ability: Sand Rush

[SET COMMENTS]
Excadrill is the premier sweeper on sand teams, outspeeding most of the format barring Choice Scarf Dragapult while the weather is on its side! While Iron Head's additional coverage is minimal on paper, it has important targets such as Togekiss and Hydreigon and offers Excadrill an extremely useful Defense boost while used under Dynamax as Max Steelspike. Rock Slide's additional power as Max Rockfall makes it the clear choice over Rock Tomb, and the Max Move also is useful for letting Excadrill set up sand itself. Swords Dance helps Excadrill bust through bulkier Pokemon than usual, such as Ferrothorn, and gives Excadrill the option to use Max Guard while Dynamaxed, which can be useful in stalling out opposing Dynamax Pokemon. Alternatively, Brick Break can be used under Dynamax as Max Knuckle to pick off a weakened foe while still getting an Attack boost, in addition to breaking dual screens from the likes of Grimmsnarl.

Life Orb gives Excadrill as much power as possible for sweeping, but Focus Sash is a serious consideration when paired with Swords Dance, as it can allow Excadrill to get a boost in situations it normally couldn't, easing sweeping capabilities when priority is taken out of the picture. Weakness Policy works very well with Dynamax, as the double HP and Defense or Special Defense boost from Max Steelspike or Max Quake, respectively, makes Excadrill very difficult to KO, making it easy to get +2 Attack from super effective hits. Jolly is the prefered nature, allowing Excadrill to outspeed important threats when the sand isn't up, such as Gyarados, Togekiss, Rotom-H without a Choice Scarf, and Adamant Mimikyu. However, Adamant's additional power can help Excadrill more easily sweep teams in the sand.

Having Pokemon with sand setting abilities makes it much easier to sweep with Excadrill and is highly recommended. Hippowdon offers the bulkiest option, being able to set up Stealth Rock and wear down foes with Yawn. Tyranitar is the most offensive option, being capable of making good use of Dynamax itself (especially with Weakness Policy) and dealing massive damage to many defensive Excadrill checks in the process.. Sandaconda is the most disruptive option, with its Sand Spit ability nullifying even weather caused by Dynamax attacks, though Sandaconda needs to be damaged for sand to come up. Regardless of the sand setter you choose, note that all three have problems taking strong Water-type attacks, so Pokemon with Water-type resistances such as Rotom-C, Dragapult, and Hydreigon are a good idea to consider.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Theorymon, 29010]]
- Quality checked by: [[Psynergy, 248085], [greilmercenary9, 336524]]
- Grammar checked by: [[The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216]]

Last edited:

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, Excadrill is ready!

One weird thing I need to address: Brick Break. I'm honestly not sure about this move, but I've seen it enough on sand sweeping ones that I slashed it in, even though I personally prefer Swords Dance. If other QCers disagree (or hell, want me to add Brick Break as a mention to the Mold Breaker set, because I've totally seen that around LOL), let me know! Might also mention that its handy for breaking dual screens if I mention it on mold breaker, since there's been quite a few Grimmsnarls running around on cart, with the #1 team in particular actually using it...

can i ask is there a chance to choose drill run over earthquake? if its battle stadium singles?

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I actually used Brick Break on Focus Sash Excadrill for the sole purpose of dealing with Screens, and while I saw several Brick Break Pokemon use it against me I never had an opportunity to do the same. It is probably worth keeping mention of it but it doesn't seem like a high priority option, I'd definitely use Swords Dance over it in most cases.

Also for the sake of not making the moveslots too ugly I'd probably remove the Rapid Spin slash, may still be worth keeping mention of it in the set but I don't see many situations in which I'd want to run it right now.

Broken Pokemon, QC 1/2

I agree with Psynergy that Brick Break deserves a secondary slash but that Swords Dance is better overall, not only for its boosting capability but also because the option to Max Guard in certain situations can save a game here and there, especially when trying to win a weather war against other dynamax mons that can change the weather.

As for the nature on Sand Rush, I think it's more of a total toss up than Adamant being preferred. While most Rotom that are Timid are Scarfed, it can still be useful to outspeed Rotom-H if it is dynamaxed or other stuff in that range like Adamant Mimikyu even outside of sand. Perhaps more relevantly, Jolly Rush Drill outspeeds the two most prominent Airstream users (Togekiss and Gyarados) naturally, and by extension it outruns them even when they are +2 if sand is up, which can save a game if they are starting to get out of control. (And at the risk of stating the obvious, it guarantees at least a tie against other Rush Drill, which aren't as common as Mold Breaker but are still around.) Obviously it hurts to lose the extra power, but the 80-100 base speed tiers are pretty crowded in this generation, so the extra speed has tended to be a little more useful that the power in my playtesting so far. Adamant is still perfectly fine for Rush Drill but I think Jolly is at least equal or even slightly preferred.

Overall though it looks really good! QC 2/2

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/1
[SET]
name: Mold Breaker
move 3: Rock Tomb / Rock Slide
move 4: Horn Drill / Stealth Rock / Swords Dance
item: Choice Scarf / Focus Sash / Assault Vest
ability: Mold Breaker

[SET COMMENTS]
Excadrill is one of the few Pokemon with access to Mold Breaker, making it an excellent revenge killer against Mimikyu and Rotom formes thanks to it ignoring their key abilities. Rock Tomb may be weak, but the speed control can be invaluable against potential switch-ins (such as?). Rock Slide is a slightly stronger option that can flinch make slower targets flinch, which is especially useful when paired with Rapid Spin or Choice Scarf. Horn Drill is Excadrill's best chance of defeating Corviknight, and it becomes a 130-Base (AH) Power Max Strike that can be used for speed control while Dynamaxed during Dynamax. (dangler technically) Stealth Rock punishes users of Focus Sash and Flying-types, while Swords Dance helps cleaning against slower, weakened teams. Rapid Spin can be used to give Excadrill a Speed boost, notably outspeeding Choice Scarf Rotom formes if used with a Jolly nature, with the bonus of getting rid of opposing entry hazards. Finally, Brick Break is useful not only for breaking dual screens (RC) abut but also for giving Excadrill a way to boost its Attack while Dynamaxed.

Choice Scarf turns this Excadrill into a potent revenge killer, outspeeding important targets such as Mimikyu, Dragapult, and Choice Scarf Rotom formes. When you're using Choice Scarf, a Jolly nature is reccomended recommended to outspeed Dragapult and +1 Gyarados and Togekiss. Focus Sash pairs well with Stealth Rock and Swords Dance, letting it Excadrill more relaibly reliably use these important moves. Alternatively, Assault Vest gives Excadrill a siginfigant significant boost in special bulk, especially when under Dynamax. When using Assault Vest, consider using bulkier EV spreads to survive specfic specific threats attacks. For example, 156 Atk / 100 SpD / 252 Spe allows Excadrill to survive Timid Rotom-H's Overheat even after Stealth Rock damage.

Corviknight is chief among Excadrill's problems, as it only particularly fears Horn Drill hitting. Bulky foes like Galarian Corsola and Ferrothorn can also be problematic, especially if lacking Excadrill lacks Swords Dance. This Excadrill loves having Pokemon that specalize in breaking physical walls, so special sweepers like Togekiss and Hydreigon are much appreciated, while special attackers such as Rotom-H and Dragapult also have good match-ups vs matchups versus Excadrill's problems.

[SET]
name: Sand Sweeper
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Swords Dance / Brick Break
item: Life Orb / Focus Sash / Weakness Policy
ability: Sand Rush

[SET COMMENTS]
Excadrill is the premier sweeper on sand teams, outspeeding most of the format barring Choice Scarf Dragapult while the weather is on its side! While Iron Head's additional coverage is minimal on paper, it has important targets such as Togekiss and Hydreigon (RC) and offers Excadrill an extremely useful Defense boost while Dynamaxed used under Dynamax as Max Steelspike. Rock Slide's aditional additional power as Max Rockfall makes it the clear choice over Rock Tomb, and the Max Move also is useful for letting Excadrill set up sand itself. Swords Dance helps Excadrill bust through bulkier Pokemon than usual, such as Ferrothorn, and gives Excadrill the option to use Max Guard while Dynamaxed, which can be useful in stalling out opposing Dynamax Pokemon. Alternatively, Brick Break can be used under Dynamax as Max Knuckle to pick off a weakened foe while still getting an Attack boost, in addition to breaking dual screens from the likes of Grimmsnarl.

Life Orb gives Excadrill as much power as possible for sweeping, but Focus Sash is a serious consideration when paired with Swords Dance, as it can allow Excadrill to get a boost in situations it normally couldn't, easing sweeping capabilities when priority is taken out of the picture. Weakness Policy works very well with Dyanamax Dynamax, as the double HP and Defense or Special Defense boost from Max Steelspike and or Max Quake, (AC) respectively, (AC) makes Excadrill very difficult to KO, making it easy to get +2 Attack from super effective hits. Jolly is the prefered nature, allowing Excadrill to outspeed important threats when the sand isn't up, such as Gyarados, Togekiss, Rotom-H without a Choice Scarf, and Adamant Mimikyu. However, Adamant's does offer additional power, which can help Excadrill more easily sweep teams in the sand.

Having Pokemon with sand setting abilities makes it much easier to sweep with Excadrill (RC) and is highly reccomended recommended. Hippowdon offers the bulkiest option, being able to set up Stealth Rock and wear down foes with Yawn. Tyranitar is the most offensive option, being capable of Dynamaxing well making good use of Dynamax itself (espcecially especially with Weakness Policy) (RC) and dealing massive damage to many defensive Excadrill checks in the process.. Sandaconda is the most disruptive option, with its Sand Spit ability nullifying even weather caused by Dynamax attacks, though Sandaconda needs to be damaged for sand to come up. Regardless of the sand setter you choose, note that all three have problems taking strong Water-type attacks, so Pokemon with Water-type resistances (such as?) are a good idea to consider.

Theorymon

This is finally done, thanks a lot everyone!

Psynergy lemme know when you wanna upload this (since I don't like uploading my own analyses lol)

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Uploaded, another good reminder that it's a good idea to do this since otherwise this would've uploaded with "(such as?)" with regards to Rock Tomb's utility, I specified Gyarados in this case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)