Ubers Excadrill

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
[SET]
name: Sand Rush
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Shadow Claw / Rapid Spin
item: Life Orb / Air Balloon
ability: Sand Rush
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Sand Rush Excadrill's ability to outspeed the great number of Ground-weak Pokemon in the metagame and hit them super effectively, most notably Zacian-C, Eternatus, and Necrozma-DM, as well as get past bulky walls or Ground-resistant threats such as Corviknight and Skarmory thanks to Swords Dance and Dynamax makes it a valuable asset to balance and offense teams. Even when unboosted, STAB Earthquake will often, at worst, 2HKO Zacian-C, Eternatus, and Necrozma-DM. Rock Slide allows Excadrill to set up its own sand, if necessary, when Dynamaxed, and is also the best move to use against Mandibuzz. Shadow Claw is mainly used to 2HKO Lunala with Shadow Shield intact, which potentially becomes an OHKO during Dynamax, with Max Phantasm also making it easier to break through bulky walls like Corviknight, Quagsire, and Skarmory thanks to the Defense drops it causes. Alternatively, Excadrill can run Rapid Spin instead of Shadow Claw to remove entry hazards from your side of the field and, through its Speed boosts, become less dependent on sand to outspeed the foe. Life Orb is the preferred item, as it boosts Excadrill's damage output and makes it less reliant on Swords Dance to achieve KOs; however, Air Balloon can be used to perform better against opposing Sand Rush Excadrill and to improve matchup against Ditto. A Jolly nature is generally run to outspeed Choice Scarf Zacian and Choice Scarf Zamazenta under sand, although Adamant is an option to further boost its damage output and is also the preferred nature if running Air Balloon to make up for the loss of Life Orb's damage boost.

Sand Rush Excadrill can punch holes into the opposing team early-game or be used as a wincon once problematic Pokemon like Ditto have been eliminated. It is a good idea to set up Swords Dance against Pokemon that do not possess moves to hit it hard, such as Blissey and Zekrom, although it should be careful of doing so when there's an unparalyzed Ditto on the opposing team, especially if it's not running Air Balloon. A sand setter like Tyranitar, which can also set up Stealth Rock for it, is mandatory for this set. Without using Dynamax, Excadrill struggles with getting past Corviknight and Skarmory, so Pokemon like Eternatus, Lunala, and Choice Band Dracovish are excellent partners to take them out. Choice Band Dracovish, in particular, can either KO them or force them out and deal heavy damage to the switch-in. Gothitelle is also an effective way to take them out if they are not holding Shed Shell. Corviknight and Skarmory allow Excadrill to use Swords Dance with more freedom against teams with Ditto, as they can comfortably switch into +2 Rock Slide, with the latter also providing Spikes support, making it easier for Excadrill to achieve KOs. Ferrothorn, likewise, can also provide Spikes support.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Rock Slide
move 3: Rapid Spin / Swords Dance
move 4: Toxic / Swords Dance
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Sand Force
nature: Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]

With Choice Scarf, Excadrill adds flexibility to sand teams, as it can revenge kill threats like Zacian-C and Eternatus without having your sand setter switch in and take damage or otherwise faint, also allowing it to run an item other than Smooth Rock. In addition, it can also remove entry hazards with Rapid Spin without worrying about being outsped and KOed before doing so. Toxic allows it to cripple Pokemon like Quagsire and Lunala on the switch. It can optionally run Swords Dance instead of Rapid Spin or Toxic to potentially achieve a clutch sweep with Dynamax. As Excadrill already outspeeds many threats with Choice Scarf, Sand Force is its ability of choice.

A sand setter like Tyranitar or Hippowdon is mandatory for this set. Both can also set up Stealth Rock for it, as Choice Scarf Excadrill struggles to OHKO defensive variants of Eternatus, and Tyranitar can switch in against Lunala for it. As Excadrill has no ways of getting past Skarmory, Quagsire, and Corviknight, Pokemon like Eternatus, Lunala, and Choice Band Dracovish are good teammates that can deal with them, while in return all of them appreciate the removal of Zacian-C from the battle. Choice Band Dracovish also benefits from the removal of other faster threats like Eternatus. Gothitelle can also be an effective partner, as it can trap those threats if they are not holding Shed Shell. It is worth mentioning that Choice Scarf Excadrill can be used as a lure to Zacian-C and Eternatus, as it can fake a Sand Rush set and lure them in when sand is over and KO them with STAB Earthquake.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Ryota Mitarai, 318452]]
- Quality checked by: [[Manaphy, 50695], [Nayrz, 212134]]
- Grammar checked by: [[The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216]]

Last edited:

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I want to note that I was told to write a Scarf set after asking something earlier in the Discord server. Obviously, I had never used it (which I mentioned there), so I had to take some time to run with it on the ladder and watching the one replay that had such set, so my experience with it is obviously limited. If necessary, I am willing to remove the set and let someone else write it, if it's too bad.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Hi I'm the guy who suggested the Scarf Exca set to you, here are my thoughts:

-Scarf should be above the suicide lead set, the suicide lead set isn't really that great in the current meta in my opinion.
-Slash Swords Dance for Rapid Spin and Toxic on the Scarf set, as the extra attack can come in handy with a clutch dynamax.
-Mention Excadrill's matchup with Mew leads on the Suicide Lead set, as part of the appeal of suicide lead Excadrill is it's ability to counter such opposing HO leads and Mew is by far the most common, Rapid Spin's speed boosts make that matchup quite interesting.
-Mention Gothitelle one of the top recommended partners for both the Sand Rush and Scarf sets as Gothitelle's ability to take out Skarmory and Corviknight is massive and can let Excadrill sweep teams quite easily.
-mention Adamant Nature being preferred for Air Balloon sets to make up for the lost power of Life Orb

Do this stuff and I will approve :blobthumbsup:

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
Hi I'm the guy who suggested the Scarf Exca set to you, here are my thoughts:

-Scarf should be above the suicide lead set, the suicide lead set isn't really that great in the current meta in my opinion.
-Slash Swords Dance for Rapid Spin and Toxic on the Scarf set, as the extra attack can come in handy with a clutch dynamax.
-Mention Excadrill's matchup with Mew leads on the Suicide Lead set, as part of the appeal of suicide lead Excadrill is it's ability to counter such opposing HO leads and Mew is by far the most common, Rapid Spin's speed boosts make that matchup quite interesting.
-Mention Gothitelle one of the top recommended partners for both the Sand Rush and Scarf sets as Gothitelle's ability to take out Skarmory and Corviknight is massive and can let Excadrill sweep teams quite easily.
-mention Adamant Nature being preferred for Air Balloon sets to make up for the lost power of Life Orb

Do this stuff and I will approve :blobthumbsup:
hey, I impleneted all of the above, though for Goth, I noted that it can deal with them if they are not holding Shed Shell, mostly cause stats suggest that Shed Shell still sees some usage.

I assume you've got more comments that you have to elaborate upon before QC stamping, so I am gonna wait.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Hi sorry for taking so long

I think this is a good analysis but you tend to overexplain some things
For Sand Rush:
get past bulky walls or Ground resists such as Ferrothorn
Remove Ferrothorn
moves to hit it hard, such as Chansey, Zekrom, and Ferrothorn lacking Body Press
Remove Ferrothorn, change Chansey to Blissey
It's advised to Dynamax to get past bulky walls like Corviknight, Skarmory, and Quagsire after the opponent has used up their Dynamax so they cannot use their Dynamax to stall out Excadrill's.
I would reword this, as these Pokemon do not necessarily need Dynamax to stall out Excadrill. Something like “Excadrill has the ability to get past it’s usual checks through the use of Dynamax” is fine.
Zacian-C appreciates Excadrill's ability to weaken Necrozma-DM, as well as the sand it relies on, as it reduces Moonlight's recovery output, making it easier for Zacian-C to break Necrozma-DM.
This is wrong because Necrozma is not a Excadrill check in the first place. Zacian-C and Excadrill are good partners because the two can threaten each others primary checks in Corviknight, Skarmory and Quagsire.
Ferrothorn can make it easier for Excadrill to KO foes with hazard support, while also being a good switch-in to a Ditto that has transformed into it, if it has no Swords Dance boosts.
Remove this section entirely. If you want to mention Ferrothorn do something like “Hazard setters such as Ferrothorn, Eternatus, and Skarmory make good partners”
Excadrill struggles with Corviknight that already has Defense boosts from Bulk Up or Iron Defense, making Eternatus and Lunala good teammates that can dispatch it.
Change this to something like “switch-ins to Skarmory and Corviknight such as...”

For Scarf Excadrill, the whole first paragraph is weird, but well your not familiar with the set so I can’t blame you. To be honest I would only use Sand Force. Essentially, Scarf Excadrill lets you have more flexibility on your Sand Teams, because now you don’t have to keep switching Tar in to keep setting sand to revenge kill. This is useful especially for Non-Smooth Rock Tyranitar. For example, if Zacian-C breaks past your check to it on a Sand Team, with Scarf Excadrill you can come right in and KO, as opposed to having to sack Tyranitar to let Sand Rush Exca in. I think the analysis should be based around this. Of course you have less power and flexibility for sweeping than Sand Rush but Sand Force helps to compensate this.

EDIT: I think this looks fairly good now
QC 1/2

Last edited:
From discussions we decided that lead Exca should be ditched. Its reasonably popular on ladder (sr has ~37% usage on the mon) but its pretty bad and not worth supporting. The other 2 sets are fine though.

QC 2/2

amcheck (i know this is late but) add remove comment

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Sand Rush Excadrill's ability to outspeed other Pokemon under sand, add comma and hit super effectively the big amount of greatly damage, Ground-weak Pokemon vulnerable to Ground in the metagame, most notably Zacian-C, Eternatus, and Necrozma-DM, coupled with its ability to get past bulky walls or Ground resists such as Corviknight and Skarmory thanks to Swords Dance and Dynamax make it a valuable asset to balance and offense teams alike. I felt like adding "alike" to the end of the sentence would strengthen it a little. Even when unboosted, STAB Earthquake will often, at worst, 2HKO Zacian-C, Eternatus, and Necrozma-DM. Rock Slide allows Excadrill to set up its own sand weather, if necessary, when Dynamaxed, and is also the best move to use against Mandibuzz. Shadow Claw is mainly used to 2HKO Lunala with Shadow Shield intact, which potentially becomes an OHKO if Dynamaxed, with Max Phantasm also making it easier to break through bulky walls like Corviknight, Quagsire, and Skarmory, thanks to the Defense drops it causes. Alternatively, Excadrill can run Rapid Spin instead of Shadow Claw to remove hazards from your side of the field and, through its Speed boosts, make it less dependent on sand to outspeed the foe. Life Orb is the preferred item, as it boosts Excadrill's damage output and makes it less reliant on Swords Dance to achieve KOs, however, Air Balloon can be used to perform better against opposing Sand Rush Excadrill and to also improve matchup against Ditto. A Jolly nature is generally run to outspeed Choice Scarf Zacian and Choice Scarf Zamazenta under sand, although an Adamant nature can be run to further boost its damage output, and which is also the preferred nature if running Air Balloon to make up for the loss of Life Orb's damage boost.

Sand Rush Excadrill can punch holes into the opposing team early-game or be used as a wincon once problematic Pokemon like Ditto have been eliminated. It is a good idea to set up Swords Dance against Pokemon that do not possess moves to hit it hard, such as Blissey and Zekrom, although it should be careful of doing so when there's an unparalyzed Ditto on the opposing team, especially if it's not running Air Balloon. A sand setter like Tyranitar is mandatory for this set and can also set up Stealth Rock for it. Without using Dynamax, Excadrill struggles with getting past Corviknight and Skarmory, so Pokemon like Eternatus, Lunala, and Choice Band Dracovish are excellent partners to take them out. Choice Band Dracovish, in particular, can either KO them or force them out and deal heavy damage to the switch-in. Gothitelle is also an effective way for taking them out if they are not holding Shed Shell. Corviknight and Skarmory as teammates allow Excadrill to use Swords Dance with more freedom against teams with Ditto, as they can comfortably switch into +2 Rock Slide, with the latter also providing Spikes support, making it easier for Excadrill to achieve KOs. Ferrothorn, likewise, can also be partnered with Excadrill to provide Spikes support.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf Revenge Killer I think simply calling this set "Choice Scarf" gets the point across fine.

[SET COMMENTS]

With Choice Scarf, Excadrill adds flexibility to sand teams, as it can revenge kill threats like Zacian-C and Eternatus without having your sand setter switch in and take damage or otherwise faint. This is useful for revenge killing the particular threat without sacking your sand setter and also allows it to run an item other than Smooth Rock. In addition, it can also remove hazards with Rapid Spin while not worrying about being outsped and KOed before doing so. Toxic allows it to cripple Pokemon like Quagsire and Lunala on the switch. It can optionally run Swords Dance instead of Rapid Spin or Toxic to potentially achieve a clutch sweep with Dynamax. As you already outspeed many threats with Choice Scarf, Sand Force is its ability of choice, as it allows it to hit its foes harder when sand is up.

A sand setter like Tyranitar or Hippowdon as a teammate is mandatory for this set. They can also set up Stealth Rock for it, as Choice Scarf Excadrill struggles to OHKO defensive variants of Eternatus. In addition, Tyranitar can also switch in against Lunala for it. As Excadrill has no ways of getting past Skarmory, Quagsire, and Corviknight, Pokemon like Eternatus, Lunala, and Choice Band Dracovish are good teammates that can deal with them;, while all of them also appreciate the removal of Zacian-C from the battle. Choice Band Dracovish also benefits from the removal of other faster threats like Eternatus. Gothitelle can also be an effective partner, as it can trap those threats if they are not holding Shed Shell. It is worth mentioning that Choice Scarf Excadrill can potentially be used as a lure to Zacian-C and Eternatus, as it can fake a Sand Rush set and lure them in when sand is over and KO them with STAB Earthquake.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Manaphy, 50695]], [Nayrz, 212134]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Sand Rush Excadrill's ability to outspeed other Pokemon under sand, and greatly damage, Pokemon vulnerable to Ground in the metagame, most notably Zacian-C, Eternatus, and Necrozma-DM, coupled with its ability to get past bulky walls or Ground resists such as Corviknight and Skarmory thanks to Swords Dance and Dynamax make it a valuable asset to balance and offense teams alike. Even when unboosted, STAB Earthquake will often, at worst, 2HKO Zacian-C, Eternatus, and Necrozma-DM. Rock Slide allows Excadrill to set up its own sand, if necessary, when Dynamaxed, and is also the best move to use against Mandibuzz. Shadow Claw is mainly used to 2HKO Lunala with Shadow Shield intact, which potentially becomes an OHKO if Dynamaxed, with Max Phantasm also making it easier to break through bulky walls like Corviknight, Quagsire, and Skarmory, thanks to the Defense drops it causes. Alternatively, Excadrill can run Rapid Spin instead of Shadow Claw to remove hazards from your side of the field and, through its Speed boosts, make it less dependent on sand to outspeed the foe. Life Orb is the preferred item, as it boosts Excadrill's damage output and makes it less reliant on Swords Dance to achieve KOs, however, Air Balloon can be used to perform better against opposing Sand Rush Excadrill and to also improve matchup against Ditto. A Jolly nature is generally run to outspeed Choice Scarf Zacian and Choice Scarf Zamazenta under sand, although an Adamant nature can be run to further boost its damage output, which is also the preferred nature if running Air Balloon to make up for the loss of Life Orb's damage boost.

Sand Rush Excadrill can punch holes into the opposing team early-game or be used as a wincon once problematic Pokemon like Ditto have been eliminated. It is a good idea to set up Swords Dance against Pokemon that do not possess moves to hit it hard, such as Blissey and Zekrom, although it should be careful of doing so when there's an unparalyzed Ditto on the opposing team, especially if it's not running Air Balloon. A sand setter like Tyranitar is mandatory for this set and can also set up Stealth Rock for it. Without using Dynamax, Excadrill struggles with getting past Corviknight and Skarmory, so Pokemon like Eternatus, Lunala, and Choice Band Dracovish are excellent partners to take them out. Choice Band Dracovish, in particular, can either KO them or force them out and deal heavy damage to the switch-in. Gothitelle is also an effective way for taking them out if they are not holding Shed Shell. Corviknight and Skarmory as teammates allow Excadrill to use Swords Dance with more freedom against teams with Ditto, as they can comfortably switch into +2 Rock Slide, with the latter also providing Spikes support, making it easier for Excadrill to achieve KOs. Ferrothorn, likewise, can also be partnered with Excadrill to provide Spikes support.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf

[SET COMMENTS]

With Choice Scarf, Excadrill adds flexibility to sand teams, as it can revenge kill threats like Zacian-C and Eternatus without having your sand setter switch in and take damage or otherwise faint. This is useful for revenge killing the particular threat without sacking your sand setter and also allows it to run an item other than Smooth Rock. In addition, it can also remove hazards with Rapid Spin while not worrying about being outsped and KOed before doing so. Toxic allows it to cripple Pokemon like Quagsire and Lunala on the switch. It can optionally run Swords Dance instead of Rapid Spin or Toxic to potentially achieve a clutch sweep with Dynamax. As you already outspeed many threats with Choice Scarf, Sand Force is its ability of choice, as it allows it to hit its foes harder when sand is up.

A sand setter like Tyranitar or Hippowdon as a teammate is mandatory for this set. They can also set up Stealth Rock for it, as Choice Scarf Excadrill struggles to OHKO defensive variants of Eternatus. In addition, Tyranitar can also switch in against Lunala. As Excadrill has no ways of getting past Skarmory, Quagsire, and Corviknight, Pokemon like Eternatus, Lunala, and Choice Band Dracovish are good teammates that can deal with them; all of them also appreciate the removal of Zacian-C from the battle. Choice Band Dracovish also benefits from the removal of other faster threats like Eternatus. Gothitelle can also be an effective partner, as it can trap those threats if they are not holding Shed Shell. It is worth mentioning that Choice Scarf Excadrill can potentially be used as a lure to Zacian-C and Eternatus, as it can fake a Sand Rush set and lure them in when sand is over and KO them with STAB Earthquake.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Manaphy, 50695]], [Nayrz, 212134]]

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/1
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Sand Rush Excadrill's ability to outspeed under sand and hit super effectively the big amount great number of Ground-weak Pokemon in the metagame and hit them super effectively, most notably Zacian-C, Eternatus, and Necrozma-DM, coupled with its ability to as well as get past bulky walls or Ground resists Ground-resistant threats such as Corviknight and Skarmory thanks to Swords Dance and Dynamax make makes it a valuable asset to balance and offense teams. Even when unboosted, STAB Earthquake will often, at worst, 2HKO Zacian-C, Eternatus, and Necrozma-DM. Rock Slide allows Excadrill to set up its own sand weather, if necessary, when Dynamaxed, and is also the best move to use against Mandibuzz. Shadow Claw is mainly used to 2HKO Lunala with Shadow Shield intact, which potentially becomes an OHKO if Dynamaxed during Dynamax, with Max Phantasm also making it easier to break through bulky walls like Corviknight, Quagsire, and Skarmory (RC) thanks to the Defense drops it causes. Alternatively, Excadrill can run Rapid Spin instead of Shadow Claw to remove entry hazards from your side of the field and, through its Speed boosts, make it become less dependent on sand to outspeed the foe. Life Orb is the preferred item, as it boosts Excadrill's damage output and makes it less reliant on Swords Dance to achieve KOs; however, Air Balloon can be used to perform better against opposing Sand Rush Excadrill and to also improve matchup against Ditto. A Jolly nature is generally run to outspeed Choice Scarf Zacian and Choice Scarf Zamazenta under sand, although Adamant can be run is an option to further boost its damage output and is also the preferred nature if running Air Balloon to make up for the loss of Life Orb's damage boost.

Sand Rush Excadrill can punch holes into the opposing team early-game or be used as a wincon once problematic Pokemon like Ditto have been eliminated. It is a good idea to set up Swords Dance against Pokemon that do not possess moves to hit it hard, such as Blissey and Zekrom, although it should be careful of doing so when there's an unparalyzed Ditto on the opposing team, especially if it's not running Air Balloon. A sand setter like Tyranitar, (AC) is mandatory for this set and which can also set up Stealth Rock for it, is mandatory for this set. Without using Dynamax, Excadrill struggles with getting past Corviknight and Skarmory, so Pokemon like Eternatus, Lunala, and Choice Band Dracovish are excellent partners to take them out. Choice Band Dracovish, in particular, can either KO them or force them out and deal heavy damage to the switch-in. Gothitelle is also an effective way for taking to take them out if they are not holding Shed Shell. Corviknight and Skarmory as teammates allow Excadrill to use Swords Dance with more freedom against teams with Ditto, as they can comfortably switch into +2 Rock Slide, with the latter also providing Spikes support, making it easier for Excadrill to achieve KOs. Ferrothorn, likewise, can also be partnered with Excadrill to provide Spikes support.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf Revenge Killer

[SET COMMENTS]

With Choice Scarf, Excadrill adds flexibility to sand teams, as it can revenge kill threats like Zacian-C and Eternatus without having your sand setter switch in and take damage or otherwise faint, also allowing. This is useful for revenge killing the particular threat without sacking your sand setter and also allows it to run an item other than Smooth Rock. In addition, it can also remove entry hazards with Rapid Spin while not without worrying about being outsped and KOed before doing so. Toxic allows it to cripple Pokemon like Quagsire and Lunala on the switch. It can optionally run Swords Dance instead of Rapid Spin or Toxic to potentially achieve a clutch sweep with Dynamax. As you Excadrill already outspeeds many threats with Choice Scarf, Sand Force is its ability of choice, as it allows it to hit its foes harder when sand is up.

A sand setter like Tyranitar or Hippowdon as a teammate is mandatory for this set. They Both can also set up Stealth Rock for it, as Choice Scarf Excadrill struggles to OHKO defensive variants of Eternatus, (comma) and Tyranitar can also switch in against Lunala for it. As Excadrill has no ways of getting past Skarmory, Quagsire, and Corviknight, Pokemon like Eternatus, Lunala, and Choice Band Dracovish are good teammates that can deal with them, while in return all of them appreciate the removal of Zacian-C from the battle. Choice Band Dracovish also benefits from the removal of other faster threats like Eternatus. Gothitelle can also be an effective partner, as it can trap those threats if they are not holding Shed Shell. It is worth mentioning that Choice Scarf Excadrill can potentially be used as a lure to Zacian-C and Eternatus, as it can fake a Sand Rush set and lure them in when sand is over and KO them with STAB Earthquake.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Manaphy, 50695], [Nayrz, 212134]]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)