Exeggutor (Revamp) [GP 2/2]

http://www.smogon.com/dex/gs/pokemon/exeggutor/

Modified version of the original revamp posted by Barbows who utilised bones provided by Lavos

Jellicent is allowing me to take over this analysis.

[OVERVIEW]

With a very high Special Attack stat, solid STAB attacks, dangerous status moves, and a powerful Explosion, Exeggutor is easily one of the most threatening Pokemon in GSC OverUsed. While it will rarely sweep a team by itself, it often plays a key role in dismantling the opposing team's defenses through its ability to incapacitate or trade for crucial targets. On the defensive side, Exeggutor can serve as a check to threatening sweepers like Vaporeon, Marowak, and Machamp thanks to its resistances to their powerful STAB attacks. Unfortunately for Exeggutor, a lot of OU Pokemon run coverage moves that hit it hard, so you should time its entry onto the battlefield carefully to ensure it isn't forced to use Explosion too quickly.

[SET]

name: Standard Explosion
move 1: Sleep Powder / Stun Spore
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Giga Drain / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Explosion
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]

First, pick your status move of choice—opponents won't want to risk a Pokemon without Sleep Talk taking Sleep Powder, so using Stun Spore can be an excellent way to paralyze sleep absorbers such as Zapdos, potentially setting up another sweeper or sleep move user on your team for success. However, Sleep Powder is of course very powerful and is an easy choice if your team lacks another sleep move user. Psychic is Exeggutor's main attacking move, dealing solid damage to most Pokemon that don't resist it and even potentially threatening Snorlax with its chance to drop Special Defense. Giga Drain threatens Water-types and gives Exeggutor a chance against Tyranitar, healing off Crunch or Fire Blast damage and preventing it from trapping Exeggutor with Pursuit. On the other hand, Hidden Power Fire disintegrates Forretress and dents Skarmory, which walls the Giga Drain set, although dropping Giga Drain makes Pursuit Tyranitar much more dangerous and comes at the cost of 25 HP, 2 Attack points and 6 Defense points due to DV requirements. Rounding off the set is Explosion, which can secure OHKOs on most Pokemon that don't resist it (Suicune, one of the most physically bulky Pokemon in the tier, takes up to 92% from Exeggutor's Explosion), making switching into Exeggutor quite risky at any point in the game.

This Exeggutor set is one of the best enablers in the tier, handily setting up Machamp, Marowak, Charizard, or Tentacruel for a potential sweep with its Stun Spore on Raikou and Zapdos or removing said Electric-types for Vaporeon with its Explosion. It can be used as a lead to begin spreading status immediately or even attempt to take something out with its Explosion on turn one. While it is more of an offensive Pokemon, it can also be put to use as a check against Machamp (although it should be noted that Machamp Speed ties Exeggutor and can have Hidden Power Bug), Vaporeon, Marowak, Rhydon, or Steelix and find ways to wreak havoc from there. A well-played Explosion Exeggutor can literally blow through an opponent's defenses, leaving them open to a wide variety of possible threats.

[SET]

name: Leech Seed
move 1: Stun Spore
move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Psychic
move 4: Substitute / Explosion

[SET COMMENTS]

This set can be a one-man army against some teams when coupled with Spikes support. The classic combination of Substitute and Leech Seed enables Exeggutor to stay in against even Pokemon that hit it super effectively, thanks to the Speed drop from Stun Spore ensuring Exeggutor can always put up Substitute first. While Leech Seed in GSC only deals damage immediately after the seeded Pokemon attacks rather than at end-of-turn, it still forces switches like nobody's business. Very little can take repeated hits from Exeggutor's Psychic while also losing an eighth of their HP per turn from Leech Seed, so theoretically, Exeggutor can freely spread its Stun Spore across the enemy team as the opponent helplessly tries to run Exeggutor out of PP, all the while taking significant residual damage. Exeggutor can also drop Substitute for Explosion, potentially catching a crucial Pokemon by surprise and also raising Exeggutor's utility significantly in the event something goes wrong.

In terms of teammates, because this Exeggutor is one of the most effective paralysis spreaders in the tier, slow but powerful sweepers such as Machamp and Marowak or Belly Drum users such as Snorlax and Charizard make excellent choices.

There are good reasons this is not Exeggutor's main set, however. Phazers that aren't hit hard by Psychic, such as Steelix, Skarmory, and Tyranitar, can put an end to its antics even if it has a Substitute up. This can be a problem, since Exeggutor sometimes struggles to find a good opportunity to come back in. Spikers and spinners like Forretress and Starmie may also be eager to take advantage of Exeggutor's lack of coverage to gain an advantage in the Spikes game, particularly if they are supported by Heal Bell users that can undo all of Exeggutor's hard work such as Blissey and Miltank.

[Other Options]

A four attacks set is viable, where the status move is forgone in favor of maximum coverage, but dropping a status move is likely to lower Exeggutor's utility overall. Exeggutor is also a decent Thief user, often being able to take Zapdos's Leftovers, which makes 3HKOing it with Psychic possible. Just make sure Exeggutor has no item when using it, of course.

If you'd rather spread as much status as possible, you can forgo a coverage move on the standard set and go double status, taking advantage of your opponent's likely assumption that you will be using a coverage move to land status on something that isn't expecting it. However, having Psychic and Explosion as Exeggutor's only attacking moves means that you are highly likely to run into a Pokemon that resists all of its attacks, such as Steelix, Tyranitar, or Skarmory.

Synthesis and Moonlight are possible options for the last slot on the Leech Seed set. They allow Exeggutor to play a more defensive role and stick around longer, although they are both illegal with Explosion.

[Checks and Counters]

In terms of switching into Exeggutor, RestTalk users tend to be the best options due to their ability to sponge status-inflicting moves. Common ones include Zapdos, Snorlax, and Suicune. Do keep in mind that all of them fear Explosion, so beware of possible mind games such as Explosion on the switch. Baiting the Explosion is also possible, of course, and most Pokemon that resist Normal, such as Skarmory and Tyranitar, can take one rather well. Skarmory is also capable of pulling off a Sleep Talk set that can completely shut down non-Hidden Power Fire Exeggutor. Other notable Explosion mitigators include Reflect Raikou and Charm Umbreon. Umbreon also takes little damage from Exeggutor’s other attacks, outspeeds it, and has Pursuit, albeit a rather weak one. Stronger Pursuit users in the tier are Tyranitar and Houndoom, although Houndoom tends to fear status a lot and Tyranitar must play mind games against Giga Drain Exeggutor. Toxic from Umbreon, Suicune, or Snorlax can also significantly reduce Exeggutor's longevity and force it to use Explosion predictably or risk not getting it off at all. Jynx is a terror for Exeggutor to face, resisting Psychic and completely blocking status moves and Giga Drain with its Substitutes, but it loses much of its effectiveness if Exeggutor lands status on it on the switch. Lastly, Forretress with Hidden Power Bug or Toxic can switch in and threaten Exeggutor lacking Hidden Power Fire, although it must beware of status.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Earthworm,15210], [Barbows,299239]]
- Quality checked by: [[neomon,408904],[Lavos,129513]]
- Grammar checked by: [[The Dutch Plumberjack,232216], [CryoGyro,331519]]

Last edited:

http://www.smogon.com/dex/gs/pokemon/exeggutor/

Modified version of the original revamp posted by Barbows who utilised bones provided by Lavos

Jellicent is allowing me to take over this analysis. I have changed a ton of the wording: Diff comparison with previous version of the analysis written by Barbows

[OVERVIEW]

A unique typing and great movepool make Exeggutor one of the most versatile status spreaders in the GSC OverUsed tier. Its Special Attack is ultra high by GSC standards, tying Zapdos, and it has solid coverage in its STAB attacks, Psychic and Giga Drain. It can also inflict sleep and paralysis, and threatens to take out a key Pokémon at any time with its powerful Explosion. With all these assets, it has stomped its way into the upper echelons of the tier's offensive staples.

Exeggutor also offers valuable defensive capabilities. It can serve as a check to threatening sweepers like Vaporeon, Marowak, and Machamp -- just beware of Hidden Power Bug or Fire Blast from the latter two. Unfortunately for Exeggutor, the majority of Pokémon in OU are capable of (and often are) running coverage moves that will hit Exeggutor hard, so it helps to time its entry onto the battlefield carefully to ensure he doesn't have to blow up too quickly.

as I said on discord 2 paragraphs in Overview seems off, I would try to combine the aspects you mention in both paragraphs into one

[SET]

Set 1: Standard Explosion
Item: Leftovers
Move 1: Sleep Powder / Stun Spore
Move 2: Psychic
Move 3: Giga Drain / Hidden Power Fire
Move 4: Explosion

[SET COMMENTS]

First, pick your status move of choice -- opponents won't want to risk a non-Sleep Talk user taking Sleep Powder, so using Stun Spore can be an excellent way to paralyze the opponent's sleep absorber, such as Zapdos, potentially setting up another sweeper or sleep move user on your team for success. However, Sleep Powder is of course very powerful, and is an easy choice if your team lacks another sleep move user. Psychic is your main attacking move, dealing solid damage to most Pokémon that don't resist it, and threatening even Snorlax with its chance to drop Special Defense. Giga Drain threatens Water-types and gives it a chance against Tyranitar, healing off Crunch/Fire Blast damage and preventing it from trapping Exeggutor with Pursuit. On the other hand, Hidden Power Fire disintegrates Forretress and dents Skarmory (which otherwise walls the Giga Drain set) at the cost of 25 HP, 2 Attack points and 6 Defense points due to its DV requirements. Rounding off the set is Explosion, which, coming off Exeggutor's base 95 Attack stat, can secure OHKOs on most Pokémon that don't resist it (Suicune, one of the most physically tanky Pokémon in the tier, takes up to 92% of its HP from Exeggutor's Explosion), making switching into it quite risky at any point in the game.

This Exeggutor set is easily one of the best enablers in the tier, handily setting up Machamp, Marowak, Charizard, or Tentacruel for success with its Stun Spores on Raikou and Zapdos, or exploding on them for Vaporeon. A well-played Exeggutor can literally blow through an opponent's defenses, leaving them open to a wide variety of possible threats.

[SET]

Set 2: Leech Seed
Item: Leftovers
Move 1: Stun Spore
Move 2: Leech Seed
Move 3: Psychic
Move 4: Substitute / Explosion

[SET COMMENTS]

This set can be a one-man-army against many teams when coupled with Spikes support. The classic combination of Substitute and Leech Seed, also known as SubSeed, [I'd just remove this] enables Exeggutor to stay in against even Pokémon that hit it super effectively, thanks to Stun Spore slowing them down. Leech Seed in GSC is not quite as good as it is in RSE and subsequent generations, dealing damage immediately after the seeded Pokémon attacks rather than at end of turn, but it still forces switches like nobody's business. [I feel like this sentence could be reworded or left out as a whole] Very little can take repeated beatings from Exeggutor's Psychic while also losing an eighth of their HP per turn from Leech Seed, so Exeggutor can freely spread its Stun Spore across the enemy team as the opponent helplessly tries to run Exeggutor out of PP, all the while taking significant residual damage.

Exeggutor can also drop Substitute for Explosion, potentially catching a crucial Pokémon by surprise and also raising Exeggutor's utility significantly in the event something goes wrong.

Anything with Toxic makes a good partner for this set, since it has the potential to rack up even more residual damage. I'd give some concrete examples here anything with Toxic sounds iffy The fact that this set might force some key defensive threats to use Rest (and paralyze others) could also help a teammate sweep.

There are good reasons this is not Exeggutor's main set, however. Should a Substitute Jynx find an opportunity to come in on Exeggutor's Substitute or Psychic, Exeggutor will have no choice but to switch out and have a teammate deal with it. Spikers and spinners like Forretress and Starmie may also be eager to take advantage of Exeggutor's lack of coverage to gain an advantage in the Spikes game, particularly if they are supported by Heal Bell users that can undo all of Exeggutor's hard work, such as Blissey or Miltank. Lastly, Roar Tyranitar only has to worry about taking a Stun Spore, and can easily put a stop to Exeggutor's antics without taking much damage.

[Other Options]

A four attacks set is viable, where the status move is forgone in favor of maximum coverage, but dropping a status move is likely to lower its utility overall. Exeggutor is also a decent Thief user, often being able to take Zapdos's Leftovers, which makes it possible to 3HKO it with Psychic. Just make sure Exeggutor has no item when using it, of course. - I would reword this to something like: An itemless set with Thief can be run to steal leftovers from the likes of Zapdos, Snorlax or Skarmory. - I personally dont like the way you worded it, but feel free to keep it as you had

If you'd rather spread as much status as possible, you can forgo your coverage move on the standard set and go double status, taking advantage of your opponent's likely assumption that you will be using a coverage move to land status on something that isn't expecting it. However, having Psychic and Explosion as your only attacking move means that you are highly likely to run into a Pokemon that resists all of your attacks, such as Steelix, Tyranitar, or Skarmory.

[Checks and Counters]

While it is deathly afraid of status moves, Jynx is a terror for Exeggutor to face, resisting Psychic and completely blocking status moves and Giga Drain with its Substitutes, while threatening an easy 2HKO with Ice Beam. In terms of switching into Exeggutor, Pokémon that have RestTalk tend to be the best options due to their ability to sponge status inflicting moves. Examples of common ones include Zapdos, Snorlax, Heracross, and Suicune. Do keep in mind that all of them fear Explosion, so beware of possible mind games such as booms on the switch. Baiting the Explosion is also possible, of course, and most normal resists such as Skarmory or Tyranitar can take one rather well. Skarmory is also capable of pulling off a Sleep Talk set which can completely shut down non-Hidden Power Fire Exeggutor. Other notable Explosion mitigators include Reflect Raikou and Charm Umbreon. Umbreon also takes little damage from Exeggutor’s other attacks, outspeeds it, and has Pursuit, albeit a rather weak one. Toxic from Umbreon (and others like Suicune or Snorlax) can also significantly reduce Exeggutor's longetivity and force it to use Explosion predictably or risk not getting it off at all. Besides Umbreon, other stronger Pursuit users in the tier are Tyranitar and Houndoom, although Houndoom tends to fear status a lot and Tyranitar must play mindgames against Giga Drain Exeggutor. If you're facing a set without Hidden Power Fire, most Steel types can switch in and threaten Exeggutor, although they must beware of status.
As I said on Discord I'm not qualified to QC this but I read over it anyway and added a thing or 2 I wasn't a big fan of.

overall I think you covered everything relevant

Lavos

Banned deucer.
I would mention Synthesis/Moonlight and their incompatibility with Explosion in Other Options. They can still be decent over Substitute on the Leech Seed set, and have (admittedly fringe) synergy with Sunny Day users. This is an incredibly well written and comprehensive analysis. Great work, nothing else to say.

As I said on Discord I'm not qualified to QC this but I read over it anyway and added a thing or 2 I wasn't a big fan of.

overall I think you covered everything relevant
Thanks for this feedback, I have implemented some of it but am keeping some the way it is due to my preference for now.

I would mention Synthesis/Moonlight and their incompatibility with Explosion in Other Options. They can still be decent over Substitute on the Leech Seed set, and have (admittedly fringe) synergy with Sunny Day users. This is an incredibly well written and comprehensive analysis. Great work, nothing else to say.
I see you have become more open-minded since your previous post. Thanks for the suggestion and compliments, I have added the moves to OO -- let me know if you disagree with what I said about them.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

With a very high Special Attack stat, solid STAB attacks, dangerous status moves, and a powerful Explosion, Exeggutor is easily one of the most threatening Pokémon Pokemon (no eacutes in C&C) in GSC OverUsed. While it will rarely sweep a team by itself, it often plays a key role in dismantling the opposing team's defenses through its ability to incapacitate or trade for crucial targets. On the defensive side, Exeggutor can serve as a check to threatening sweepers like Vaporeon, Marowak, and Machamp thanks to its resistances to their powerful STAB attacks. Unfortunately for Exeggutor, a lot of OU Pokémon Pokemon run coverage moves that hit Exeggutor it hard, so it helps to time its entry onto the battlefield carefully to ensure it doesn't have to blow up too quickly.

[SET]

Set 1 name: Standard Explosion

[SET COMMENTS]

First, pick your status move of choice—opponents won't want to risk a non-Sleep Talk user taking Sleep Powder, so using Stun Spore can be an excellent way to paralyze the opponent's sleep absorber, such as Zapdos, potentially setting up another sweeper or sleep move user on your team for success. However, Sleep Powder is of course very powerful (RC) and is an easy choice if your team lacks another sleep move user. Psychic is your Exeggutor's main attacking move, dealing solid damage to most Pokémon Pokemon that don't resist it (RC) and can even potentially threatening Snorlax with its chance to drop Special Defense. Giga Drain threatens Water-types and gives it Exeggutor a chance against Tyranitar, healing off Crunch or Fire Blast damage and preventing it from trapping Exeggutor with Pursuit. On the other hand, Hidden Power Fire disintegrates Forretress and dents Skarmory, (comma) which otherwise walls the Giga Drain set, (remove parentheses) although dropping Giga Drain makes Pursuit Tyranitar much more dangerous and comes at the cost of 25 HP, 2 Attack points and 6 Defense points due to DV requirements. Rounding off the set is Explosion, which, coming off 95 Base Attack, can secure OHKOs on most Pokémon Pokemon that don't resist it (Suicune, one of the most physically tanky Pokémon Pokemon in the tier, takes up to 92% of its HP from Exeggutor's Explosion), making switching into it (Explosion or Exeggutor?) quite risky at any point in the game.

This Exeggutor set is one of the best enablers (not familiar with this one, do you mean supporters?) in the tier, handily setting up Machamp, Marowak, Charizard, or Tentacruel for a potential sweep with its Stun Spores on Raikou and Zapdos (RC) or exploding on removing them for Vaporeon with its Explosion. It can be used effectively in the lead position to begin spreading status immediately (RC) or even attempt to explode use Explosion on something on turn one. While it is more of an offensive Pokémon Pokemon, it can also be put to use as a check against Machamp (although it should be noted that Machamp Speed ties Exeggutor and can have Hidden Power Bug), Vaporeon, Marowak, Rhydon, or Steelix (RC) and find ways to wreak havoc from there. A well-played Explosion Exeggutor can literally blow through an opponent's defenses, leaving them open to a wide variety of possible threats.

[SET]
Set 2 name: Leech Seed

[SET COMMENTS]

This set can be a one-man army (RH) against some teams when coupled with Spikes support. The classic combination of Substitute and Leech Seed enables Exeggutor to stay in against even Pokémon Pokemon that hit it super effectively, thanks to the Speed drop from Stun Spore ensuring Exeggutor can always put up Substitute first. Leech Seed in GSC is not quite as good as it is in RSE and subsequent generations, dealing damage immediately after the seeded Pokémon attacks rather than at end-of-turn, but it still (if this is relevant enough to keep then tone down the cross-generation comparison somewhat, that's kinda out of place here) forces switches like nobody's business. Very little can take repeated beatings from Exeggutor's Psychic while also losing an eighth of their HP per turn from Leech Seed, so theoretically, Exeggutor can freely spread its Stun Spore across the enemy team as the opponent helplessly tries to run Exeggutor out of PP, all the while taking significant residual damage. Exeggutor can also drop Substitute for Explosion, potentially catching a crucial Pokémon Pokemon by surprise and also raising Exeggutor's utility significantly in the event something goes wrong.

In terms of teammates, because this Exeggutor is one of the most effective paralysis spreaders in the tier, slow but powerful sweepers such as Machamp or and Marowak (RC) or Belly Drum users such as Snorlax or and Charizard make excellent choices.

There are good reasons this is not Exeggutor's main set, however. Phazers that aren't hit hard by Psychic, such as Steelix, Skarmory, or and Tyranitar, can put an end to its antics even if it has a Substitute up. This can be a problem, since Exeggutor can sometimes struggle to find a good opportunity to come back in. Spikers and spinners like Forretress and Starmie may also be eager to take advantage of Exeggutor's lack of coverage to gain an advantage in the Spikes game, particularly if they are supported by Heal Bell users that can undo all of Exeggutor's hard work, such as Blissey or and Miltank.

[Other Options]

A four attacks set is viable, where the status move is forgone in favor of maximum coverage, but dropping a status move is likely to lower Exeggutor's utility overall. Exeggutor is also a decent Thief user, often being able to take Zapdos's Leftovers, which makes it possible to 3HKO it with Psychic. Just make sure Exeggutor has no item when using it, of course.

If you'd rather spread as much status as possible, you can forgo your coverage move on the standard set and go double status, taking advantage of your opponent's likely assumption that you will be using a coverage move to land status on something that isn't expecting it. However, having Psychic and Explosion as your Exeggutor's only attacking moves means that you are highly likely to run into a Pokemon that resists all of your its attacks, such as Steelix, Tyranitar, or Skarmory.

Synthesis and Moonlight are possible options for the last slot on the Leech Seed set. They allow Exeggutor to play a more defensive role and stick around longer, although they are both illegal with Explosion.

[Checks and Counters]

In terms of switching into Exeggutor, Pokémon that have RestTalk users tend to be the best options due to their ability to sponge status-inflicting (AH) moves. Examples of common ones include Zapdos, Snorlax, and Suicune. Do keep in mind that all of them fear Explosion, so beware of possible mind games such as booms on the switch. Baiting the Explosion is also possible, of course, and most normal resists Pokemon that resist Normal such as Skarmory or and Tyranitar can take one rather well. Skarmory is also capable of pulling off a Sleep Talk set which that can completely shut down non-Hidden Power Fire Exeggutor. Other notable Explosion mitigators include Reflect Raikou and Charm Umbreon. Umbreon also takes little damage from Exeggutor’s other attacks, outspeeds it, and has Pursuit, albeit a rather weak one. Stronger Pursuit users in the tier are Tyranitar and Houndoom, although Houndoom tends to fear status a lot and Tyranitar must play mindgames mind games against Giga Drain Exeggutor. Toxic from Umbreon, (AC) (and others like Suicune, (AC) or Snorlax) can also significantly reduce Exeggutor's longetivity longevity and force it to use Explosion predictably or risk not getting it off at all. Jynx is a terror for Exeggutor to face, resisting Psychic and completely blocking status moves and Giga Drain with its Substitutes, but it loses much of its effectiveness if Exeggutor lands status on it on the switch. Lastly, if you're facing a set without Hidden Power Fire, Forretress with Hidden Power Bug or Toxic can switch in and threaten Exeggutor, although it must beware of status.

GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

With a very high Special Attack stat, solid STAB attacks, dangerous status moves, and a powerful Explosion, Exeggutor is easily one of the most threatening Pokemon in GSC OverUsed. While it will rarely sweep a team by itself, it often plays a key role in dismantling the opposing team's defenses through its ability to incapacitate or trade for crucial targets. On the defensive side, Exeggutor can serve as a check to threatening sweepers like Vaporeon, Marowak, and Machamp thanks to its resistances to their powerful STAB attacks. Unfortunately for Exeggutor, a lot of OU Pokemon run coverage moves that hit it hard, so it helps to you should (all these its and tos are making my eyes glaze over) time its entry onto the battlefield carefully to ensure it doesn't have to blow up too quickly.

[SET]

name: Standard Explosion

[SET COMMENTS]

First, pick your status move of choice—opponents won't want to risk a Pokemon without non-Sleep Talk user taking Sleep Powder, so using Stun Spore can be an excellent way to paralyze the opponent's sleep absorbers, (comma) such as Zapdos, potentially setting up another sweeper or sleep move user on your team for success. However, Sleep Powder is of course very powerful and is an easy choice if your team lacks another sleep move user. Psychic is Exeggutor's main attacking move, dealing solid damage to most Pokemon that don't resist it and even potentially threatening Snorlax with its chance to drop Special Defense. Giga Drain threatens Water-types and gives Exeggutor a chance against Tyranitar, healing off Crunch or Fire Blast damage and preventing it from trapping Exeggutor with Pursuit. On the other hand, Hidden Power Fire disintegrates Forretress and dents Skarmory, which otherwise walls the Giga Drain set, although dropping Giga Drain makes Pursuit Tyranitar much more dangerous and comes at the cost of 25 HP, 2 Attack points and 6 Defense points due to DV requirements. Rounding off the set is Explosion, which, (comma) coming off 95 Base Attack, can secure OHKOs on most Pokemon that don't resist it (Suicune, one of the most physically tanky bulky Pokemon in the tier, takes loses up to 92% of its HP from Exeggutor's Explosion), making switching into Exeggutor quite risky at any point in the game.

This Exeggutor set is one of the best enablers in the tier, handily setting up Machamp, Marowak, Charizard, or Tentacruel for a potential sweep with its Stun Spores on Raikou and Zapdos or removing them said Electric-types for Vaporeon with its Explosion. It can be used effectively in the lead position as a lead to begin spreading status immediately or even attempt to take something out with its Explosion on turn one. While it is more of an offensive Pokemon, it can also be put to use as a check against Machamp (although it should be noted that Machamp Speed ties Exeggutor and can have Hidden Power Bug), Vaporeon, Marowak, Rhydon, or Steelix and find ways to wreak havoc from there. A well-played Explosion Exeggutor can literally blow through an opponent's defenses, leaving them open to a wide variety of possible threats.

[SET]

name: Leech Seed

[SET COMMENTS]

This set can be a one-man army against some teams when coupled with Spikes support. The classic combination of Substitute and Leech Seed enables Exeggutor to stay in against even Pokemon that hit it super effectively, thanks to the Speed drop from Stun Spore ensuring Exeggutor can always put up Substitute first. While Leech Seed in GSC only deals damage immediately after the seeded Pokemon attacks rather than at end-of-turn, it still forces switches like nobody's business. Very little can take repeated beatings hits from Exeggutor's Psychic while also losing an eighth of their HP per turn from Leech Seed, so theoretically, Exeggutor can freely spread its Stun Spore across the enemy team as the opponent helplessly tries to run Exeggutor out of PP, all the while taking significant residual damage. Exeggutor can also drop Substitute for Explosion, potentially catching a crucial Pokemon by surprise and also raising Exeggutor's utility significantly in the event something goes wrong.

In terms of teammates, because this Exeggutor is one of the most effective paralysis spreaders in the tier, slow but powerful sweepers such as Machamp and Marowak or Belly Drum users such as Snorlax and Charizard make excellent choices.

There are good reasons this is not Exeggutor's main set, however. Phazers that aren't hit hard by Psychic, such as Steelix, Skarmory, and Tyranitar, can put an end to its antics even if it has a Substitute up. This can be a problem, since Exeggutor can sometimes struggles to find a good opportunity to come back in. Spikers and spinners like Forretress and Starmie may also be eager to take advantage of Exeggutor's lack of coverage to gain an advantage in the Spikes game, particularly if they are supported by Heal Bell users that can undo all of Exeggutor's hard work, (comma) such as Blissey and Miltank.

[Other Options]

A four attacks set is viable, where the status move is forgone in favor of maximum coverage, but dropping a status move is likely to lower Exeggutor's utility overall. Exeggutor is also a decent Thief user, often being able to take Zapdos's Leftovers, which makes it possible to 3HKOing it with Psychic possible. Just make sure Exeggutor has no item when using it, of course.

If you'd rather spread as much status as possible, you can forgo your a coverage move on the standard set and go double status, taking advantage of your opponent's likely assumption that you will be using a coverage move to land status on something that isn't expecting it. However, having Psychic and Explosion as Exeggutor's only attacking moves means that you are highly likely to run into a Pokemon that resists all of its attacks, such as Steelix, Tyranitar, or Skarmory.

[Checks and Counters]

In terms of switching into Exeggutor, RestTalk users tend to be the best options due to their ability to sponge status-inflicting moves. Examples of Common ones include Zapdos, Snorlax, and Suicune. Do keep in mind that all of them fear Explosion, so beware of possible mind games such as booms Explosion on the switch. Baiting the Explosion is also possible, of course, and most Pokemon that resist Normal, such as Skarmory and Tyranitar, can take one rather well. Skarmory is also capable of pulling off a Sleep Talk set that can completely shut down non-Hidden Power Fire Exeggutor. Other notable Explosion mitigators include Reflect Raikou and Charm Umbreon. Umbreon also takes little damage from Exeggutor’s other attacks, outspeeds it, and has Pursuit, albeit a rather weak one. Stronger Pursuit users in the tier are Tyranitar and Houndoom, although Houndoom tends to fear status a lot and Tyranitar must play mind games against Giga Drain Exeggutor. Toxic from Umbreon, Suicune, or Snorlax can also significantly reduce Exeggutor's longevity and force it to use Explosion predictably or risk not getting it off at all. Jynx is a terror for Exeggutor to face, resisting Psychic and completely blocking status moves and Giga Drain with its Substitutes, but it loses much of its effectiveness if Exeggutor lands status on it on the switch. Lastly, if you're facing a set without Hidden Power Fire, Forretress with Hidden Power Bug or Toxic can switch in and threaten Exeggutor lacking Hidden Power Fire, although it must beware of status.

Thank you, I have implemented most of your suggestions as we discussed.

Oglemi this should now be good to upload, let me know if I need to add anything else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)