SM OU Experimental Stall [Plateaued at mid-high 1500s]

I have only picked up stall in the past few weeks, and I am struggling to make a good team (and/or I do not play well). So, excuse me if something seems glaringly bad or unoptimized about it. That said, please point out these problems if you see them!

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Knock Off
- Recycle
- Fire Punch
Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Defog
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 236 HP / 100 SpD / 172 Spe
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog
- Scald
- Taunt
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Cosmic Power

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Knock Off
- Recycle
- Fire Punch

Admittedly, this is probably the weakest member of my team, but without it, my team just falls flat to Hoopa-U. The given HP and Defense EVs allow Muk-A to avoid the 2HKO from any of banded Hoopa-U's attacks, 4 Speed EVs for Chansey, and the rest dumped into Special Defense with a calm nature to soak up special attacks with ease. This makes Hoopa-U easy to deal with. Recycle in tandem with figy berry allows Muk-A to consistently check special attackers. These include, aside from Hoopa-U, all Lele variants, Mega Alakazam, Reuniclus, Blacephalon, Magearna, and Ash-Greninja (probably not an exhaustive list). Fire punch makes Magearna easier to deal with, and punishes steel type switch-ins looking to sponge a poison move. Toxic needs to find a place somewhere on a stall team, and it seems to fit on Muk-A well, but I also used poison jab interchangeably with toxic with mixed results. I mostly thought of poison jab to check Bulu. I am thinking about compromising with poison fang. Knock off provides some utility, and receives a stab bonus. I initially had curse over fire punch to better check Reuniclus (with acid armor), but I never saw a good chance to use it, and always wished I had fire punch. I believe that this is the weakest member of my team because it does not provide any crucial utility to the team, like cleric support, hazards, or hazard control. If I could consistently check the above threats - mainly Hoopa and Lele - without Muk-A, I would probably replace it.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

The obligatory pink blob on the team. I could not fit heal bell or stealth rock on any other member, so I gave them to Chansey. Soft-Boiled is obligatory for longevity. I then had a free slot, and I chose toxic because outside of Muk-A, it is nowhere else to be found on my team. Furthermore, it can be used on threatening sweepers that switch in on Chansey to take advantage of its low defence stat, like Zard X and Gyarados. I entertained the thought of seismic toss, to allow Chansey to make some progress with chip damage, and prevent it from being taunt bait. However, toxic provides chip as well, and Chansey should not be staying in if it can only use attacking moves.

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

This is the most standard set on my team (Chansey naturally sees some variation, depending on teams' needs), and as such, there is not much to say. This is my Mega Medicham check, and as such, I initially had max defense. However, Sableye can still check Medicham without defense investment, and the special defense investment, with a careful nature allow Sableye to check Tornadus-T, which threatens Chansey and Muk-A with knock off, removing their crucial items. Prankster allows Sableye to burn huge threats (such as Mega Heracross) with will-o-wisp prior to mega evolution before they can touch him/her, though it usually does not see use. I really do not know what to use on Sableye, so I just went with the standard moveset. I want to do something different, as Sableye does not seem to ever do much, but I am not sure what other options there are. I really like the idea of calm mind plus snarl, but it does not seem to fit well.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Defog

Certainly one of the more eccentric picks, Volcarona is here primarily to check Mega Mawile, a huge threat to stall that has seen a lot of usage lately. I originally used the bulky setup spread on the Smogon analysis, but it simply wasn't bulky enough to actually check Mega Mawile, as it is OHKOed by Mega Mawile's sucker punch at +2, forcing me to roll dice and play around sucker punch. The spread maximizes Volcarona's bulk and optimizing leftovers recovery. The 8 EVs in special attack allow Volcarona to always OHKO Mega Mawile with 96 HP EVs. I put the remaining amount in speed for adamant base 70s; there is no goal behind this in particular, but I was not sure what else to do with the remaining EVs. I first had buginium z (with bug buzz), primarily to reduce knock off damage, but I figured that most attackers Volcarona wants to check will avoid touching it in fear of flame body activating. I also replaced bug buzz with defog because my team was strapped for defoggers. Quiver dance helps Volcarona sponge special attacks, and allows it to sweep late game. In addition to Mega Mawile, Volcarona also checks Kartana (bar normalium z sets), scizor, and Bulu lacking stone edge.

Mew @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog
- Scald
- Taunt

This is the primary defogger on my team, and it can switch in on both Clefable and Heatran, which Sableye cannot, to defog their rocks. I decided to choose scald over earthquake, since Heatran does not threaten this set much, and scald still wears it down. Furthermore, scald punishes anything that resists or is immune to earthquake, like Tangrowth and Bulu (burn) and Tornadus-T (chip damage). Taunt allows Mew to keep rocks away against Clefable, and has miscellaneous uses. The HP EVs maximize HP while keeping it divisible by 16 for leftovers recovery. Enough speed is invested to outspeed Heatran, with the rest dumped into special defense with a calm nature to maximize special bulk to better take hits from the Pokémon Mew wants to defog on. I originally had a timid nature, with more EVs moved from speed to special defense, but using a calm nature with this EV spread provides more special defense while maintaining the same speed.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Cosmic Power

Clefable rounds out the team, providing a check to various Pokémon that rely on stat boosts. I used cosmic power over stealth rock or heal bell in order to check Pokémon that either do not need boosts to beat Clefable (e.g Zard X) or can bypass unaware (e.g Mega Gyarados). That said, Clefable cannot switch directly into Zard X reliably (though depending on the roll, you can avoid the 2HKO from flare blitz, due to leftovers plus protect). I originally had curse Quagsire in this slot, but my team was looking weak to Mega Heracross, and I could use the wish support, which could be helpful if Muk-A gets knocked. I had entertained stored power, but it takes a while to become stronger than moonblast, and dark types are immune to it.

Threats: First of all, this is not an exhaustive list, because I am likely to miss at least one threat. That said, what seems to be the most obvious threat to me is Zard X. My primary check does not always check it if Charizard flar blitz's on the switch (though cosmic power allows it to check from full). Quagsire could check most sets, but if it fails to get a curse up in time, it is 2HKOed by Outrage. If I switch Clefable for Quagsire (since outrage is uncommon), my team becomes weak to Mega Heracross. Lastly, while it may not plow through my whole team, icium Kyurem-B basically claims a kill, though Volcarona may be able to tank it into fusion bolt. Hone Claws Kyurem-B is even more threatening, as it bypasses Clefable's unaware, and hits hard with iron head anyway. That said, I haven't seen that set on the Smogon analysis page, and I am not sure how common it is.

I have only picked up stall in the past few weeks, and I am struggling to make a good team (and/or I do not play well). So, excuse me if something seems glaringly bad or unoptimized about it. That said, please point out these problems if you see them!

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Knock Off
- Recycle
- Fire Punch
Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
Volcarona @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Defog
Mew @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog
- Scald
- Taunt
Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Cosmic Power

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Knock Off
- Recycle
- Fire Punch

Admittedly, this is probably the weakest member of my team, but without it, my team just falls flat to Hoopa-U. The given HP and Defense EVs allow Muk-A to avoid the 2HKO from any of banded Hoopa-U's attacks, 4 Speed EVs for Chansey, and the rest dumped into Special Defense with a calm nature to soak up special attacks with ease. This makes Hoopa-U easy to deal with. Recycle in tandem with figy berry allows Muk-A to consistently check special attackers. These include, aside from Hoopa-U, all Lele variants, Mega Alakazam, Reuniclus, Blacephalon, Magearna, and Ash-Greninja (probably not an exhaustive list). Fire punch makes Magearna easier to deal with, and punishes steel type switch-ins looking to sponge a poison move. Toxic needs to find a place somewhere on a stall team, and it seems to fit on Muk-A well, but I also used poison jab interchangeably with toxic with mixed results. I mostly thought of poison jab to check Bulu. I am thinking about compromising with poison fang. Knock off provides some utility, and receives a stab bonus. I initially had curse over fire punch to better check Reuniclus (with acid armor), but I never saw a good chance to use it, and always wished I had fire punch. I believe that this is the weakest member of my team because it does not provide any crucial utility to the team, like cleric support, hazards, or hazard control. If I could consistently check the above threats - mainly Hoopa and Lele - without Muk-A, I would probably replace it.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

The obligatory pink blob on the team. I could not fit heal bell or stealth rock on any other member, so I gave them to Chansey. Soft-Boiled is obligatory for longevity. I then had a free slot, and I chose toxic because outside of Muk-A, it is nowhere else to be found on my team. Furthermore, it can be used on threatening sweepers that switch in on Chansey to take advantage of its low defence stat, like Zard X and Gyarados. I entertained the thought of seismic toss, to allow Chansey to make some progress with chip damage, and prevent it from being taunt bait. However, toxic provides chip as well, and Chansey should not be staying in if it can only use attacking moves.

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

This is the most standard set on my team (Chansey naturally sees some variation, depending on teams' needs), and as such, there is not much to say. This is my Mega Medicham check, and as such, I initially had max defense. However, Sableye can still check Medicham without defense investment, and the special defense investment, with a careful nature allow Sableye to check Tornadus-T, which threatens Chansey and Muk-A with knock off, removing their crucial items. Prankster allows Sableye to burn huge threats (such as Mega Heracross) with will-o-wisp prior to mega evolution before they can touch him/her, though it usually does not see use. I really do not know what to use on Sableye, so I just went with the standard moveset. I want to do something different, as Sableye does not seem to ever do much, but I am not sure what other options there are. I really like the idea of calm mind plus snarl, but it does not seem to fit well.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Defog

Certainly one of the more eccentric picks, Volcarona is here primarily to check Mega Mawile, a huge threat to stall that has seen a lot of usage lately. I originally used the bulky setup spread on the Smogon analysis, but it simply wasn't bulky enough to actually check Mega Mawile, as it is OHKOed by Mega Mawile's sucker punch at +2, forcing me to roll dice and play around sucker punch. The spread maximizes Volcarona's bulk and optimizing leftovers recovery. The 8 EVs in special attack allow Volcarona to always OHKO Mega Mawile with 96 HP EVs. I put the remaining amount in speed for adamant base 70s; there is no goal behind this in particular, but I was not sure what else to do with the remaining EVs. I first had buginium z (with bug buzz), primarily to reduce knock off damage, but I figured that most attackers Volcarona wants to check will avoid touching it in fear of flame body activating. I also replaced bug buzz with defog because my team was strapped for defoggers. Quiver dance helps Volcarona sponge special attacks, and allows it to sweep late game. In addition to Mega Mawile, Volcarona also checks Kartana (bar normalium z sets), scizor, and Bulu lacking stone edge.

Mew @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog
- Scald
- Taunt

This is the primary defogger on my team, and it can switch in on both Clefable and Heatran, which Sableye cannot, to defog their rocks. I decided to choose scald over earthquake, since Heatran does not threaten this set much, and scald still wears it down. Furthermore, scald punishes anything that resists or is immune to earthquake, like Tangrowth and Bulu (burn) and Tornadus-T (chip damage). Taunt allows Mew to keep rocks away against Clefable, and has miscellaneous uses. The HP EVs maximize HP while keeping it divisible by 16 for leftovers recovery. Enough speed is invested to outspeed Heatran, with the rest dumped into special defense with a calm nature to maximize special bulk to better take hits from the Pokémon Mew wants to defog on. I originally had a timid nature, with more EVs moved from speed to special defense, but using a calm nature with this EV spread provides more special defense while maintaining the same speed.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Cosmic Power

Clefable rounds out the team, providing a check to various Pokémon that rely on stat boosts. I used cosmic power over stealth rock or heal bell in order to check Pokémon that either do not need boosts to beat Clefable (e.g Zard X) or can bypass unaware (e.g Mega Gyarados). That said, Clefable cannot switch directly into Zard X reliably (though depending on the roll, you can avoid the 2HKO from flare blitz, due to leftovers plus protect). I originally had curse Quagsire in this slot, but my team was looking weak to Mega Heracross, and I could use the wish support, which could be helpful if Muk-A gets knocked. I had entertained stored power, but it takes a while to become stronger than moonblast, and dark types are immune to it.

Threats: First of all, this is not an exhaustive list, because I am likely to miss at least one threat. That said, what seems to be the most obvious threat to me is Zard X. My primary check does not always check it if Charizard flar blitz's on the switch (though cosmic power allows it to check from full). Quagsire could check most sets, but if it fails to get a curse up in time, it is 2HKOed by Outrage. If I switch Clefable for Quagsire (since outrage is uncommon), my team becomes weak to Mega Heracross. Lastly, while it may not plow through my whole team, icium Kyurem-B basically claims a kill, though Volcarona may be able to tank it into fusion bolt. Hone Claws Kyurem-B is even more threatening, as it bypasses Clefable's unaware, and hits hard with iron head anyway. That said, I haven't seen that set on the Smogon analysis page, and I am not sure how common it is.
Looks like a solid start to a stall team some minor critiques.

Clefable
Cosmic power -> calm mind/Heal bell
Calm mind gives more offensive presence while heal bell frees up a Chansey moveslot. Cosmis power doesn't really have any uses that I'm aware of. Calm mind lets you check blace and manaphy.

Chansey
Heal Bell/Toxic -> seismic toss
Seismic toss makes a lot of progress and prevents chansey from being dumb setup/taunt bait to so many things. It's not really optional. Depending what you did with Clefable you can chose which move to sub.

If your willing to write off the hoopa-u matchup you could switch muk to synthesis bulu which would still handle tapu lele have decent longevity and beats crawdaunt who currently murders your team. It's not realistic to beat every stall breaker and in my experience hoopa-u is one of the more uncommon ones.

For char x I recommend using chansey as your first switch and toxicking it while eating a flare blitz. Second switch to clefable. You'll lose a fair amount of health on both mons, but nothing you can't gain back later.

Hello, I would try out Will O Wisp on Volc over Defog to help against Tyranitar who will otherwise 2HKO all your mons if it is not burned. This will also help against Mawile, Landorus, and Zygarde who think Flametrower is your only attack.

As others have pointed out, Torn. Char-X, and Heatran remain huge threats. I would use Earth Power > Scald for Heatran and Zard and then replace Taunt with Ice Beam for Zygarde and Tornadus. I would even try out Icium-Z to nail Torn on the switch or those that try to kill you with Taunt + Hurricane. It is also better than relying on Scald or Flame Body burns (Bulu will just switch out of Volc). It would also give you some general firepower for a team severely lacking in it. Would be super situational but may save the day against Lele, Kyurem, or Mega-Zam.

Since Muk is already using Knock Off you could try Foul Play on Sableye for Char-X or other physical switch ins that don’t care about burns (sub Zygarde). It could even replace Protect which everyone expects and plans for nowadays.

May not be the best ideas but I think other improvements would require significant team overhauls and result in a less experimental stall team.

I recommend you to use pyukumuku over clef so that you can trap annoying things to volc and act as a lethal sweeper as well as having a better mu vs alolan wack,pinsir...

I'd recommend to change Muk set

Muk-Alola @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stockpile
- Power-Up Punch
- Recycle
- Poison Fang

Poison Fang helps you to land a (ok, 50% chance) badly poison, just like Toxic since I don't see why would you waste a lot on it when you can get taunted by any Tapu, you can swap Punch by Knock Off if you like it, up to you.

I'd recommend to change Muk set

Muk-Alola @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stockpile
- Power-Up Punch
- Recycle
- Poison Fang

Poison Fang helps you to land a (ok, 50% chance) badly poison, just like Toxic since I don't see why would you waste a lot on it when you can get taunted by any Tapu, you can swap Punch by Knock Off if you like it, up to you.
Personally, muk-alola serves its best role as an av poison touch:
Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Touch
- Pursuit
- Shadow Sneak

Another thing is your chansey, you ABSOLUTELY need to run seismic toss, one thing I do like to use instead, and might be worth looking into.. Blissey. Blissey is a great pokemon and could be better than chansey as it gets access to lefties and the same movepool. Just change Chansey to blissey, give it lefties, take out heal bell and rock Seismic Toss.

MSab looks great, although something like mvenu could be good, maybe even defensive slowbro, but thats for you to decide.

Volcarona should run fire blast 100%, flamethrower is worth tossing for the extra damage as you need volcarona as a stallbreaker. Also no need to run defog on volcarona, use bug buzz or psychic with psychicium. mew looks great and do the clefable change as stated above.

Hope this helps :)

Another thing is your chansey, you ABSOLUTELY need to run seismic toss, one thing I do like to use instead, and might be worth looking into.. Blissey. Blissey is a great pokemon and could be better than chansey as it gets access to lefties and the same movepool. Just change Chansey to blissey, give it lefties, take out heal bell and rock Seismic Toss.
Don't use Blissey. Blissey has significantly less bulk than Chansey with the only advantage that it does better with residual damage and can abuse wish-protect more, or sometimes use a special attack. Since you're running a stall team you should have strict hazard control and shouldn't be taking residual damage. Also since yu're not running wishtect there's really no scenario in which Blissey is better on this team. Really Blissey should never be used in OU.

Last edited:
Don't use Blissey. Blissey has significantly less bulk than Chansey with the only advantage that it does better with residual damage and can abuse wish-protect more, or sometimes use a special attack. Since you're running a stall team you should have strict hazard control and shouldn't be taking residual damage. Also since yu're not running wishtect there's really no scenario in which Blissey is better on this team. Really Blissey should never be used in OU.
"RMT:Steelix Stall"

jcbc

lechonk is so cute
is a Pre-Contributor
Hi, VCrakeV this team looks pretty cool and i won't do a full rate for 3 main reasons.
1) a lot of people already give out their thoughts and advices, and i don't to sound repetitive, but i want to point on some minor changes i'd do in order for this stall to succeed.
2) The team overall is pretty solid and it doesn't need that much changes.
3) You posted this team more than a month ago.

~~ Minor Changes ~~
• When you choose a defogger, you want something that isn't too weaks to rocks, and that can stay in against mosr of the rockers of the metagame, and this isn't by any means the description of volcarona.
Volcarona. From Defog > Will-o-Wisp. Since you are using a really bulky/fat volcarona and your main reason to do this is to come in, versus the already mentioned, bulu, kartana and scizor; WoW allows you to burn threats like tyranitar, gliscor (if it's not poisoned yet), landorus... giving the team an easier time breaking through.

• Thee already mention Heal Bell > Seismic Toss on
Chansey
. This makes you don't get dropped by any taunt user and it also helps to chip down enemy teams.

• You mentioned that Charizard X is a problem for this stall (it usually is), but it mainly comes in vs sableye, and this could be changed pretty easily. Changing Will-o-wisp > toxic on
Sableye (Mega) helps you to threatning him, to come in that free and it also help to chip down another mons which is always good on stall. Another minor change i suggest on this mon is to input those 8 evs on def into speed, for opposing ferros and opposing M-sableyes, thst 8 points on def doesn't really increase your bulk while having this speed creep can be helpful.

Clefable
from Cosmic Power > Heal Bell. This not only helps chansey to have a slot for seismic toss but also helps clefable to get rid of cosmic power which is pretty much useless on this clefable set.

Mew
. You were saying that you want to burn things with mew but why would you choose a move that makes it a probability, when you could make sure that you burn the opponent always that the move lands? So the first change is Scald > Will-o-Wisp, this will increase the time you get a burn; the other change is taunt which i feel to be pretty useless on a stall team, and you need some move to hit. So Taunt > Earth Power, thanks to this you hit pretty hard the likes of Tyranitar, Heatran...

~~ Major Changes ~~

Muk-Alola >
Zapdos
. Zapdos fits so well in this team since it gives a second defogger and it also gives a ground inmunity (which you didn't have before). You already check M-alakazam, blacephalon and Tapu Lele with chansey. And if you face Hoopa-U, it always forces you to choose the right switch since it's (usually) choice locked. The only mu that gets a little bit worst is reuniclus and if you feel like it gets too bad, you can run Heal Bell Chansey over Toxic and make clefable CM.

~~ The team ~~

*click on the mons*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)