SM OU Extraterrestrial

Hello. This is my first Sun & Moon OU team. Now before I explain everything, this team went through a lot of changes to get to where I was satisfied with it. Of course, as the metagame develops more, I may change it again. Anyways, since I first saw Celesteela, it has became one of my favorite Pokemon. It's a giant metalic space beast with very nice stats along with an amazing typing. I wanted to make a team around it and fortunately it was great in the current metagame. This team hasn't peaked extremely high or anything yet as I've only got up to the 1500s on a couple alts, but not every team has to peak top 10 to be shared. Now I wanted to make this team somewhat bulky, but put a couple sweepers on it. After many adjustments, this is what I came up with.

THE TEAM

all shitty ms paint art by yours truly

Celesteela @ Shed Shell

Ability: Beast Boost

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

Sassy Nature

- Flamethrower

- Heavy Slam

- Leech Seed

- Protect

Now there's a couple ways you can use Celesteela, thanks to its high balanced stats. I chose to run a specially bulky Celesteela as it takes on the Physically bulky variant better. It can also switch in on things like Tapu Lele and Alakazam which is very important for my team. I chose to give it Shed Shell as it can switch out from Magnezone into Marowak then you go on from there as to what support Marowak is going to give. Leech Seed helps a lot with the main focus of the team; lowering the opposing team's HP down to help enable a safe sweep. The combination of Leech Seed and Protect is nothing new. It helps Celesteela gain HP while also lowering the foe's. You can run this with Leftovers but be very aware of Magnezone.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb

Ability: Electric Surge

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Thunderbolt

- Hidden Power [Ground]

- Calm Mind

- Dazzling Gleam

I'm using Tapu Koko as my special sweeper because of it's amazing ability that powers up its Electric moves. With a boost or two, even special walls won't be enjoying a Thunderbolt. HP ground is for things like Alolan Marowak and Magnezone which are common switchins to this Pokemon.
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Marowak-Alola: 250-294 (95.7 - 112.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Dazzling Gleam is a nice STAB move. Unfortunately Tapu Koko doesn't learn Moonblast, so this is my answer to dragons. HP Ice is optional over Ground but I prefer this as the coverage.

Garchomp @ Lum Berry

Ability: Rough Skin

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Swords Dance

- Fire Fang

- Earthquake

- Dragon Claw

I chose Garchomp because it has always been a nice physical attacker. I used Garchomp to set Stealth Rocks earlier but I needed a little more offense. Garchomp still outspeeds a lot of Pokemon this generation that aren't holding a Choice Scarf. The Pokemon that outspeed it are mostly covered by other Pokemon on the team. Fire Fang covers the Grass/bug types that resist Earthquake. If I went with Poison Jab for the Fairies, any levitating or Flying/Steel Pokemon completely wall Garchomp. I went with Lum because most Toxapex or other water Pokemon scald you until they get a burn. The other two moves were obvious. Strong dual STAB moves with great coverage are almost always necessary on Garchomp.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers

Ability: Misty Surge

EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe

Bold Nature

- Defog

- Scald

- Moonblast

- Haze

Now I needed some physical bulk. First, Tapu Fini is not only bulky, but it has an amazing type combo and defog! Tapu Fini is an amazing swichin to dragon and fire Pokemon thanks to its bulk and great typing. I know Scald doesn't burn grounded Pokemon in Misty Terrain, but it's better over Surf because we can still burn other Pokemon. Also, Misty Terrain won't always be up. It can burn Tapu Bulu upon switching in. Haze is of course to stop Pokemon from setting up and Moonblast is for strong STAB coverage. Unfortunately Tapu Fini gets no recovery other than leftovers and Rest, which it can't use in Misty Terrain. However that is what we have our two seeders for. That brings me to my second physically bulky Pokemon.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite

Ability: Overgrow

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

Bold Nature

- Leech Seed

- Sleep Powder

- Giga Drain

- Sludge Bomb

Venusaur is a nice Pokemon this generation. This can switch into most Tapu Bulu without much of a risk. It's also very useful since a lot of other people are using Celesteela and Tapu Fini. This isn't the best option to switch into Tapu Koko on the team but it can take two non-invested Life Orb Brave Birds. Venusaur is also our second Leech Seed user because any chip damage is important on the opponent's team. Sleep Powder is to put a possible threat or really whatever is in asleep which is usually a momentum boost. Sludge Bomb is very helpful for the amount of Fairy Pokemon running around now and Giga Drain is STAB recovery. You can run Synthesis but I've found Giga Drain more useful for me.

Marowak-Alola @ Leftovers

Ability: Lightning Rod

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD

Careful Nature

- Knock Off

- Will-O-Wisp

- Stealth Rock

- Fire Punch

Of course if I have a team that relies on residual damage, I'm still going to have Stealth Rocks. Fast hazards aren't really a necessity with this team. Marowak not only can set up rocks, it can fire off Will-O-Wisps quite often as it switches into common things such as Magnezone or Tapu Koko. If your opponent has a Tapu Fini to switch into I'd opt to always prioritize using Knock Off over Wisp on switch-ins. Knocking off things such as Choice or recovery items is very beneficial to this team. Fire Punch will still hit things like Ferrothorn and Scizor without the Thick Club. It can also easily get up Rocks vs things like Magnezone and lead Necrozma. Marowak Pair really well with Celesteela because Celesteela has the Shed Shell and Marowak kept its Electric Immunity this generation and gained an amazing type combination.

IMPORTABLE

Celesteela @ Shed Shell

Ability: Beast Boost

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

Sassy Nature

- Flamethrower

- Heavy Slam

- Leech Seed

- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Thunderbolt

- Hidden Power [Ground]

- Calm Mind

- Dazzling Gleam

Garchomp @ Lum Berry

Ability: Rough Skin

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Swords Dance

- Fire Fang

- Earthquake

- Dragon Claw

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers

Ability: Misty Surge

EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe

Bold Nature

- Defog

- Scald

- Moonblast

- Haze

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite

Ability: Overgrow

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

Bold Nature

- Leech Seed

- Sleep Powder

- Giga Drain

- Sludge Bomb

Marowak-Alola @ Leftovers

Ability: Lightning Rod

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD

Careful Nature

- Knock Off

- Will-O-Wisp

- Stealth Rock

- Fire Punch

With every team, there are flaws. The biggest issue I've had is Leech Seed and Will-O-Wisp missing more than it seems like it should. I had problems with Alakazam until I got the team to what it is now. Tapu Lele and Manaphy can be an issue if not played right. Other than those, no Ultra Beast has been an issue. Landorus-I was a major issue to this team and was on it at one point. Fortunately it was quick banned. It's a really simple team with a few basic Pokemon but to me, it's really fun to use. Like it, rate it, etc because this RMT took me forever. Knife.

~ao

Last edited:
I like the team. Its nice to see Mega Venusaur being used, one of my favorite Pokemon. The only thing I think I would change is your Tapu Koko set. Idk how viable Calm Mind is, but I think the better set would be a fast taunt user. I handles CM Tapu Lele, something that I have ran into a lot and struggled with, and also deals with Manaphy, weather it be a Tail glow set, or a CM rest set.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
I understand the HP ground on it for Marowwak, but I don't think its your best option. I will test the team out with both sets of Koko and let you know how it works! Best of luck on the ladder!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)