Eyes Set to Kill

Hello everyone, it's been a very long time since I posted an RMT so I figured I'd post up this one. I was in a very, very long teambuilding slump after both Latias and Salamence got banned, as they were part of every team I had. This team really began to shine for me when I changed around a few members and went more than 10 games without losing at a time. The basic gameplan is to lay down Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock and juggle their Pokemon with my U-Turners along with my MVP, SubSplit Rotom equipped with a Life Orb. This team features some neat unorthodox / rarely used stuff that works really well in the team. The team members are based on the band members of "Eyes Set to Kill', my favourite band. Without further ado, I present Eyes Set to Kill.

Brandon Anderson (Heatran)

Modest Nature
252 Sp.Atk / 252 Speed / 4 Hp
Ability: Flash Fire
Overheat
Earth Power
Stealth Rock
Hidden Power [Grass]

An absolutely incredible lead. This is a slight variation of Philip's LO Tran. Heatran lets me decimate most of the common leads, including Colbur Azelf, Machamp, Swampert and others. Heatran has excellent typing and thus I do not use him as a Suicide Lead. I try to keep Heatran alive as long as I can since he holds the team together. Overheat allows for a OHKO on Colbur Azelf and Machamp, and is my high power STAB move that even does nearly half to Gyarados. HP Grass handles Swampert, while Earth Power kills other Heatran. Stealth Rock because well, you need it on a team, especially one that focuses on switching. Brandon Anderson was the previous screaming vocalist for Eyes Set to Kill.

Anissa Rodriguez (Roserade)

Calm Nature
252 HP / 252 Sp.Def / 4 Def
Ability: Natural Cure
Grass Knot
Toxic Spikes
Sleep Powder
Rest

Oh yes, the sexiest basist in the world. This Roserade is an excellent addition to the team, giving me alot of great resistances, Toxic Spikes and the ability to incapacitate a Pokemon for free. Roserade has excellent Special Bulk allowing it to come in on a myraid of Special Attackers, including Jolteon, Starmie and Suicune. Rest allows me to heal Roserade and works great with her ability, Natural Cure. This team could not operate without Roserade.

Caleb Clifton (Flygon)

Jolly Nature
252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Ability: Levitate
Earthquake
ThunderPunch
Outrage
U-Turn

Ahh Flygon. I put Flygon on this team for it's excellent resistances / immunities (namely Ground, Fire, Electric and Rock) as well as it's ability to stop things that would normally hurt my team, including DDTar, CM Raichi, DD Nite and DD Gyara just to name a few. I chose Jolly over Adamant because basically every Flygon is running it now and so I can outspeed Agility Metagross. Flygon is part one of my U-Turn core. Caleb Clifton is the drummer of Eyes Set to Kill.

Cisko Miranda (Vaporeon)

Bold Nature
188 HP / 252 Def / 68 Spe
Ability: Water Absorb
Surf
Wish
Protect
Hidden Power [Electric]

I previously had an Offensive Snorlax here, but thanks to a suggestion from Ironbullet93 I added Vaporeon. Much like Snorlax, Vaporeon is an excellent switch-in to all forms of Heatran. Vaporeon however, has the ability to heal both himself and his teammates. The Pokemon on my team, namely Heatran and Roserade are very easy to get in to recieve wishes because of my F/W/G core. I'm still fighting Roar vs Hidden Power [Electric], however I'll probably take Electric for it's ability to hit Gyarados. Cisko Miranda is the new screamer for Eyes Set to Kill.​

Greg Kerwin (Infernape)

Hasty Nature
64 Sp.Atk / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Ability: Blaze
Overheat
Mach Punch
Close Combat
Stone Edge

I previously had a Scizor in this position, but a suggestion from Philip had me try Infernape. I hadn't used Infernape on any serious team before, and this variant of it surprised me. It has incredible power and destroys many things in a single shot. It also provides the same priority Scizor had (better typing, too!) and the ability to check Jolly Lucario, a Pokemon who gave my team a ton of trouble before. Close Combat is my main attack is crush most of my targets. Overheat on this set is about as powerful as Fire Blast on the special set, so it's still a force to be reckoned with. Stone Edge was placed in the final slot for Gyarados, Zapdos and most importantly Dragonite (Screw you Dragonite!). Greg Kerwin is the lead guitarist for Eyes Set to Kill.​

Alexia Rodriguez (Rotom-F)

Timid Nature
16 HP / 252 Spe / 240 Sp.Atk
Ability: Levitate
Thunderbolt
Substitute
Pain Split
Shadow Ball

I cannot exclaim my joy for this thing. I would like to thank TAY for recommending me this Pokemon. Even before Toxic Spikes are down, it's a huge force to be reckoned with. Even Blissey has no hopes of beating this Rotom. I've actually 6-0ed with this thing alone on the ladder. While at first the team was not based around this thing at all, that changed pretty quickly. It can also 2HKO most of the metagame with it's extremely powerful attacks seeing as it's equipped with a Life Orb. While he's an awesome sweeper, he also provides many of my team's important immunities and resistances and has alot of opportunities to come in, sometimes leading to him dying pretty early which I hope to change. But it goes without saying, this is my MVP. Alexia Rodriguez is the sexy lead vocals of Eyes Set to Kill and is Anissa's sister.

Thanks for reading my RMT everybody. Send in comments on anything that you see that needs fixing ^_^. I'll also finish with a picture of the band.​

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Switch rotom to a wash form. Bluffing a hydro pump is much more useful than bluffing a blizzard.

On a team with multiple u-turners, running Pursuit on snorlax looks like it could be useful to kill a rotom or gengar who switch in to absorb the uturn.

Might switch to Washer, I just like the fridge lol, but it doesn't make alot of difference. I haven't had a single Gengar or Rotom switch out of my Snorlax yet which is really weird, so I think I should keep Crunch there to OHKO them, not do miniscule damage with Pursuit lol.

Nice team liam I suggest that you change the toxic spikes on your roserade to normal spikes it hits steels hard and can"t be absorbed and a rest talk gyrados might be a nice replacement for snorlax seeing that your team is very lucario weak. Other then that its a great team.

TBH, Spikes is a lot better in the current metagame than Toxic Spikes mainly because Roserade is now a very common spiker. Plus, I don't see what you're beating with Tspikes that you wouldn't with normal ones other than Blissey. The other thing I might suggest for this team is changing Snorlax to a Curse/Rest/Fire Punch/Body Slam variant with the evs from the Curse Lax analysis (idk them off the top of my head). This will give you a solid and reliable switch in to every Special Attacker, and with Spikes Roserade, the opponent's switches will be more limited. The main reason I suggest that Snorlax is because you're Snorlax currently seems too prone to dying just because its not fast enough and dies too fast to any stab physical attack. Also, it gives you an end game answer to stuff like CM Wish Jirachi which you have to hope is within Flygon's EQ range and Flygon is still alive. Anyway, good luck with the team

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hey,

Pretty solid team, but I see one glaring weakness: Infernape. It outspeeds and OHKOs five of your Pokemon, and Flygon has no hope of switching into STAB Close Combat / HP Ice. You basically have to predict perfectly or sac a Poke to get Flygon in safely, and you also have to pray that Flygon isn't in KO range for Mach Punch. It's also recommended to pack a phazer on a team like this, to rack up Toxic Spikes and SR damage. I'd suggest replacing Snorlax with a Wish Vaporeon. Vaporeon is one of the best Infernape checks around, and still provides you with a solid check to Gengar. Snorlax is currently a weak link, and I feel that Vaporeon greatly helps our your sweepers, and is a very useful tool when facing stall. I'd suggest an EV spread of 216 Def/60 HP/232 Sp Def Bold, which provides you with good special and physical bulk, and gives you a go-to Pokemon for a wide range of threats. A moveset of Surf/Wish/Protect/Roar is ideal.

HP Fire is a viable option on Roserade over Sleep Powder to nail Scizor and break Gengar's subs, but that's up to you. Vaporeon provides reliable healing for Rosie with their excellent defensive synergy, and Sleep Powder in conjunction with T-Spikes might not work out too well.

Great team, and gl!

Hello. This seems like a solid team at a glance but I have a few suggestions that you could perhaps take into consideration. Firstly, for a team built around Toxic Spikes, I feel like your team is not abusing this type of entry hazards enough. Secondly, I agree with IronBullet about the Infernape weakness. Flygon is a very risky switch-in because of the presence of Close Combat and your team as it stands is too easily whittled down by opposing Infernapes. Looking at your team, Snorlax is easily replaceable as it is not a invaluable member of your team. Starmie can be easily handled by Roserade (who can comfortly take a Hydro Pump + Ice Beam) and revenge killed by Flygon with Thunder Punch / Earthquake. Scizor checks Gengar with Pursuit / Bullet Punch already and Jolteon is handled by Scarf Flygon....etc.. The only significant thing Snorlax does is tank hits from Heatran. So, in order to fix the issues that I stated, I'm going to reccomend using an offensive CM Suicune in Snorlax spot. Suicune will provide a decent check to offensive variants of Infernape as well as Heatran while also being useful offensively and taking advantage of Toxic Spikes on the team and keeping it offensive. Go for something like 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe and Surf | HP Electric | Ice Beam | Calm Mind with a Timid nature and Leftovers. Similarly, Vaporeon can work in that spot as well.

As for minor changes, consider using 48 HP / 232 Atk / 228 Spe as an EV spread on Flygon. The reason I am advising you to use this spread is Jolly SD Lucario. Being able to easily set-up, it can murder your whole without much effort outspeeding Rotom-F. This EV spread still allows you to outspeed all you need to outspeed but you are able to take a +2 Extreme Speed from Jolly Lucario after Stealth Rock damage and possibly after two as well. While this does mean that opposing Jolly Scarf Flygon will always outspeed you, your team has Flygon covered with Suicune and Scizor. I also second HP Fire over Sleep Powder on Roserade.

Other than that, good luck with your team.

It does appear as if I need a water. I will try both Suicune and Vaporeon and see how they work out, as well as the other suggestions. Thanks for the comments!

EDIT: Vaporeon is doing really well on the team and decided to replace Snorlax with it. I might put HP Electric over Roar though. Thanks Ironbullet93!

Rating by request.

Hey Lord Liam, it looks like you have yourself a very solid team here. This is about as solid of a team as you can ask for, actually, with the ability to check and beat the majority of OU, so great job with that! I really like the Vaporeon suggestion that has already been made, so I just wanted to back that up and also encourage HP Electric for your set, as you don't want to lose to a Taunt Gyarados or anything. For the most part, this rate will just be a few nitpicks, but I also have one major change I think you should test out, which I'll get to later.

The first nitpick I have is to change Earth Power to Explosion on Heatran. IMO there really is no reason to pack Earth Power on Life Orb Modest Heatran, as other Heatran will basically beat you 100% of the time anyways. I would much rather you ensure that things like Rain Dance Kingdra (who gives your team a lot of hell) can't set up, or Dragon Dance Dragonite (lets be honest, you don't want to have to switch your Scarf Flygon, who is very important to the team, in early just to eat a Draco Meteor due to a mispredict). The second nitpick I had was to replace Sleep Powder with Stun Spore or Hidden Power Fire like a few other have suggested. Hidden Power Fire would help in not allowing things like Skarmory or Forretress to set up or spin away your efforts, while Stun Spore would be another way of ensuring DD Dragonite doesn't get a chance to set up. Again, I know you have Flygon for Dragonite, but it really isn't as reliable as people think, because you force yourself to stick with Outrage if you want to beat Dragonite, and if they predict correctly, then they can just switch out to something that can resist Outrage and KO you back, just to bring Dragonite in later to set up and sweep again (which it can do against so many members of your team currently). The next thing I wanted to touch on was your Lucario weakness. It has already been mentioned that Jolly Lucario really gives your team hell, and it can currently set up on a number of things (Scizor locked in Pursuit, Flygon locked in Outrage, Vaporeon, and Roserade unless you change Rest). I don't like the idea of dropping Flygon's speed and power to be able to check Jolly Lucario to be honest, because it requires you to not switch in very often if SR is up, and Lucario usually pops its head out late game after Flygon has been weakened. After analyzing your team, I felt like Scizor was the weak link, and could probably be replaced with something to help against Lucario. I think a physical mixed Infernape would suit your team well here, as you can keep the U-turn pressure (though I personally think Stone Edge would be better for your team), while not needing a Choice locked Pokemon to do so, and also allow you to check Lucario safely and provide you with a priority attack to keep other offensive threats in check. The specific set is:

Infernape @ Life Orb
Hasty, 252 Atk / 192 Spe / 64 SpA
Blaze
-Close Combat
-Mach Punch
-U-turn / Stone Edge
-Overheat

With that set, I think all your Lucario problems will be solved, and your team can continue sweeping the ladder. Keep in mind that this set also removes one more Dragonite "check" though, so be careful not to let Flygon get hurt, or not to let Dragonite set up. I hope you found my rate useful, and best of luck to you in the future man. See you on IRC or on Shoddy. Btw, I think this is one of the better teams posted now, with all the changes made, so I'm 5 starring.

Just some minor nitpicking till I get to read more in depth, but Infernape EV's have two SpA and I think the second one is supposed to say Att. And Vaporeon has two HP, when the second one is supposed to be Spe.

After a quick glance very solid team.

@Darkshadow

it's just a RMT calm down and but I do agree with you nothing really counters mixape lots of things check it like starmie and tentacruel but I don't hink they want to get hit by tpunches which are rarer.

As for the team I can't really add much else to what's already been said I just have one thing why not put leftovers on rotom so you don't die to entry hazards and losing 25% every time you try to sweep. I know you lose some attacking power but I just prefer survivability.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey Liam!

I find it hard to rate after somebody like Phil but with his changes (which I agree with) I don't see a need for Thunderpunch on Flygon any more. Personally I would prefer Stone Edge so that you do not have to resort to Outrageing to get rid of Dragonite. Its a nitpick more than anything but I just don't see a need for T-Punch anymore since Vaporeon checks Gyarados perfectly anyway.

Anyway hope I helped!

Have a Nice Day!

Okay it appears that I messed up what I wrote on my Infernape's EVs heh.
As I've said a few times on IRC thanks for the Infernape suggestion Philip it's working really well.

Giga @ I was already thinking of going over to Stone Edge or Dragon Claw, so I'll probably do that.

Jon.Anon @ Life Orb really does make the Rotom set, allowing me to 2HKO most of the metagame and get more HP from Pain Split. Pain Split and Wish both heal Rotom so Leftovers aren't really necessary.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Team looks like it's almost perfect, but I'm still breloom and gar weak so I'll bump this see if anyone has a way around them.

Thunderpunch seems a tad redundant on Flygon. I suggest running Stone Edge seeing as you already have a valid Gyarados check with Vaporeon and HP Electric.

Switch Rotom to a Washing Machine Form so that Tyranitar at least hesitates a little before coming in.

Also I don't see what Vaporeon is doing for this team, as the only person who benefits from Wish-passing is Roserade, everyone else is too frail. You may wish to consider a CM LO Suicune instead for more offensive presence.

If he "considers" LO Cune then he loses to Infernape/Jolteon. Atleast with Vaporeon, he has a reliable check to both Gyarados and Infernape. You have a slight Jolteon weakness, being an HP Ice variant can 1hko or 2hkos your entire team. But then again, STAB Thunderbolt is so good in this Metagame that its no surprise.

I suggest keeping everything how you have it. And just out of curiosity, why 16hp EVs on Rotom? If it's just for the bulk after outrunning Offensive Cune, you may want to throw it into Speed just so you can atleast tie with LO Rotom's. They're becoming more popular.

Yes cooltrainer, those are my reasons. Rotom has max speed, the 16 HP EVs are taken out of Sp.Atk for a good Sub/LO number.

Also Roserade and Flygon can stop Jolteon fairly well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)