SM OU F.R.O.G. (Fully Rely On Greninja)

Hello guys, welcome to my first SuMo OU RMT. When I first built this team, I wanted to build around the Ash-Greninja and Tapu Koko core since both of their typings compliment each other near-perfectly, as well as the fact that I wanted to build around Ash-Greninja especially since it's one of the more interesting mons released this gen. Without any further delay, let's get this show on the road.

->
@

Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Water Shuriken

Ash-Greninja, as stated earlier, was one of the 'mons I was interested in from the very beginning, and boy, do I have no regrets in using him. Thanks to Battle Bond, Greninja serves as a great revenge killer as the opponent is forced to either sack a weakened 'mon, or take a strong Hydro Pump on the switch in. If they decide to go with the former, Greninja turns into Ash-Greninja, where it's offenses becomes godlike, sporting 153 base Special Attack. For comparaison, this is only 1 point off from regular Mewtwo's base Special Attack. This often makes opponents try to stop Greninja from activating it's Ash-forme, which sometimes makes me net a free U-Turn so that I can regain momentum for the team and switch accordingly to counter the opposing Pokemon. Dark Pulse is also a great STAB move that hits Psychics and Ghosts, and Water Shuriken is a priority move that is 60 BP after Battle Bond activates, making it one of the strongest in the game, only behind Extreme Speed. EVs and nature are very standard for a fast special sweeper, allowing it to hit hard while being as fast as possible. Choice Specs is chosen to maximize Greninja's power and even further it's role as a revenge killer.​

@

Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Brave Bird

The second part of the main Ash-Greninja and Koko core, Tapu Koko is not a disappointment by any means. With Electric Terrain up thanks to Electric Surge, Tapu Koko's Thunderbolt hits very hard. Dazzling Gleam is chosen as a secondary STAB move as Tapu Koko does not get Moonblast. U-Turn is chosen for momentum and creates a nice little psuedo VoltTurn core with Ash-Greninja. Brave Bird allows Tapu Koko to not be totally walled by Lightning Rod Alolan Marowak and Mega Venusaur. EVs are chosen to give Tapu Koko amazing Special Attack while still 2HKOing the aforementioned Mega Venusaur and Alolan Marowak after Stealth Rock damage. Life Orb boosts Tapu Koko's attack power by alot, but at the cost of a bit of HP per turn.

@

Previously:

Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock

Blessed with a great defensive typing as well as access to Stealth Rock, it's a no-brainer why Heatran is one of the best Pokemon in the metagame. Taunt cripples opposing leads as well as just generally stally Pokemon. Toxic cripples walls easily. Lava Plume, thanks to it's 30% burn chance, is an absolute god-send against physical attackers. EVs are to make it as specially bulky as possible.

@

Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Scarfed Excadrill is used on my team as a revenge killer, as well as a late-game sweeper when all of it's checks are removed. It can also Rapid Spin, though it does not appreciate being stuck in it. Earthquake is used as STAB, Iron Head is useful for the flinch chance, and Rock Slide hits Flying-types. Pretty straight-forward. EVs are again, standard and Mold Breaker hits Levitate users like Bronzong.

@

Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Lunge
- Hammer Arm
- Thunder Punch

Buzzwole is used as a bulky attacker on my team and it's working really well. Thanks to Beast Boost, every time Buzzwole nets a kill, it's Attack raises, making it a very potent wallbreaker. Roost is used as good, reliable recovery. Lunge is a good STAB move that pressures switch-ins thanks to the Attack drop. Hammer Arm is the main Fighting-type STAB, hitting troublesome Steel-types and Rock-types, as well as hitting Chansey. Finally, Thunder Punch hits bulky Waters and Celesteela. EVs are chosen to avoid the 2HKO from Life Orb Pheromosa while still having a lot of Special Defense and maximum Attack, and Leftovers are used to replenish HP per turn.

@

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

Finally, Rotom-Wash is the final addition to the team. Sporting a great typing when coupled with Levitate as well as great bulk, it's no surprise that it was one of the main Pokemon used in ORAS. Volt Switch is for momentum and to add to the GrenKoko VoltTurn core. Hydro Pump hits Fire and Ground-types, Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers and Thunder Wave prevents certain sweepers from doing their jobs, such as Mega Charizard X.

I hope you enjoyed my first Sun and Moon OU RMT! I would like to know how I can make this team better. If you'd like to test it on the OU ladder, an importable version is down below. Thank you!

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Water Shuriken

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Brave Bird

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Lunge
- Hammer Arm
- Thunder Punch

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

Last edited:
Hi, two things.

1) alter your ev spread on tapu koko for a max speed set. 130 is still an important speed tier and it need to be able to at least speed tie with opposing tapu koko.
2) Your team is looking very weak to powerful mold breaker pokemon like mega gyarados (with eq) and opposing scarf excadrill. consider making buzzwole's spread bulkier, like the substitute leech life set.

I really like this team; the only suggestion I have is trying a different Buzzwole set.

Instead of your offensive roost set, there is this from the analysis:

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/196 SpD/60 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Roost
-Leech Life
-Hammer Arm/Superpower
-Poison Jab

This set helps you because it avoids the 2HKO from LO Pheromosa, which otherwise is a massive threat to your team since it can only be revenge killed by Greninja and nothing switches in well. It's still max attack but has more special bulk and a little speed for Rotom. Its physical bulk is already sufficient.

Roost is for longevity, Leech is STAB and hits hard, Hammer Arm/Superpower gives you a way to break Chansey since it walls you otherwise. Poison Jab helps you lure fairies, especially Tapu Bulu which is a massive threat. Losing Lunge isn't too big of a deal since Leech Life's recovery should prove helpful, and as for Thunderpunch, your team can already handle Celesteela and bulky waters.

You could also opt for the analysis' SubPunch set since it dunks on stall and balance even harder. However it makes you more weak to Pheromosa.

Also I second changing Koko's EV spread to 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe Naive. With LO, it still 2HKOs Mega Venusaur and Alola Wak after rocks with little attack investment and the extra speed is critical. Maybe you could throw in HP Ice on the set somewhere but idk.

Can't wait to try out this team :)

Edit: woops yeah thats a mistake on my part. Thanks for the catch.

Last edited:
I really like this team; the only suggestion I have is trying a different Buzzwole set.

Instead of your offensive roost set, there is this from the analysis:

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/196 SpD/60 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Roost
-Leech Life
-Hammer Arm/Superpower
-Poison Jab

This set helps you because it avoids the 2HKO from LO Pheromosa, which otherwise is a massive threat to your team since it can only be revenge killed by Greninja and nothing switches in well. It's still max attack but has more special bulk and a little speed for Rotom. Its physical bulk is already sufficient.

Roost is for longevity, Leech is STAB and hits hard, Hammer Arm/Superpower gives you a way to break Chansey since it walls you otherwise. Poison Jab helps you lure fairies, especially Tapu Bulu which is a massive threat. Losing Lunge isn't too big of a deal since Leech Life's recovery should prove helpful, and as for Thunderpunch, your team can already handle Celesteela and bulky waters.

You could also opt for the analysis' SubPunch set since it dunks on stall and balance even harder. However it makes you more weak to Pheromosa.

Also I second changing Koko's EV spread to 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe Naive. With LO, it still 2HKOs Mega Venusaur and Alola Wak after rocks with little attack investment and the extra speed is critical. Maybe you could throw in HP Ice on the set somewhere but idk.

Can't wait to try out this team :)
Hi, two things.

1) alter your ev spread on tapu koko for a max speed set. 130 is still an important speed tier and it need to be able to at least speed tie with opposing tapu koko.
2) Your team is looking very weak to powerful mold breaker pokemon like mega gyarados (with eq) and opposing scarf excadrill. consider making buzzwole's spread bulkier, like the substitute leech life set.
Thank you all for your suggestions! I tried a few matches and I really like the changes.

EDIT: I'd also like to note that 60 EVs in Speed is over the EV limit for Buzzwole on JTD's set, so I reduced it to 20 Speed.

Last edited:

Anish

luckynbad
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey Itz Ditto,
Really solid team that you've got there, with Ash Greninja, one of the best Pokémon right now . It deals with most Pokémon , even stuff like Pheromosa, really well, but slightly struggles with Tapu Lele, opposing Ash Greninja , Genesect and Charizard Mega X. Rotom Wash is one of the only Pokémon who checks Mega Scizor here, and can get overloaded, and Pokémon like Shift Gear Magearna are annoying to this team. Additionally, it struggles to break fat builds, as Chansey pressures a lot of its Pokémon.
>

Special Defensive Heatran> Offensive Garchomp

I would suggest running a Special Defensive Heatran > Offensive Garchomp to help out with the weakness to Tapu Lele, and with Shift Gear Magearna, but be careful to stay healthy for Aura Sphere variants. Heatran also checks Mega Scizor and Serperior, pressures Celesteela and Venasaur Mega, and still sets up Stealth Rocks. It helps with non HP Ground Genesect, and can even 1v1 HP Ground Genesect if at full HP . It also acts as a back up check to Charizard Mega X, especially Thunder Punch variants.

>

Stallbreaker Tapu Fini > Physically Defensive Rotom Wash

I would now like to suggest Stallbreaker Tapu Fini > Rotom Wash . Tapu Fini allows this team to weaken stall with the combination of Taunt + Nature's Madness, and appreciates Tapu Koko baiting in grasses. It also manages to take on Charizard Mega X, if Heatran get overloaded, Ash Greninja and acts as a back up check to grounds, like Firium Z Garchomp. It also blanket checks a lot of physically Pokémon, which is helpful after replacing Rotom-Wash. The EVs allow it to hit a jump point in SpD, and outspeed standard Defensive Lando T.Although Heatran add a ground weakness and Fini does remove a Ground Immunity, Buzzwole beats most grounds apart from Flynium Z/Rockium Z Lando T , the latter who beat Wash anyway, and you should scout for them, especially if their team is weak to Buzzwole, and Offensive Lando can be revenge killed pretty easily

Set Edit On Buzzwole

I also would suggest keeping Thunder Punch on Buzzwole, and replacing Poison Jab, as with the replacement of Wash, Koko is your only way to beat fat waters, and it can be worn down with Life Orb recoil. You get a secondary check to Tapu Bulu in Heatran instead, and I would also use a slightly different EV spread for the maximum HP investment keeping the 2HKO from Pheromosa. I also agree with keeping Lunge, as it helps pressure switch ins by lowering their attack.
Set Change on

>

>

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Water Shuriken

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 16 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Lunge
- Hammer Arm
- Thunder Punch
Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock

Hey Itz Ditto,
Really solid team that you've got there, with Ash Greninja, one of the best Pokémon right now . It deals with most Pokémon , even stuff like Pheromosa, really well, but slightly struggles with Tapu Lele, opposing Ash Greninja , Genesect and Charizard Mega X. Rotom Wash is one of the only Pokémon who checks Mega Scizor here, and can get overloaded, and Pokémon like Shift Gear Magearna are annoying to this team. Additionally, it struggles to break fat builds, as Chansey pressures a lot of its Pokémon.
>

Special Defensive Heatran> Offensive Garchomp

I would suggest running a Special Defensive Heatran > Offensive Garchomp to help out with the weakness to Tapu Lele, and with Shift Gear Magearna, but be careful to stay healthy for Aura Sphere variants. Heatran also checks Mega Scizor and Serperior, pressures Celesteela and Venasaur Mega, and still sets up Stealth Rocks. It helps with non HP Ground Genesect, and can even 1v1 HP Ground Genesect if at full HP . It also acts as a back up check to Charizard Mega X, especially Thunder Punch variants.

>

Stallbreaker Tapu Fini > Physically Defensive Rotom Wash

I would now like to suggest Stallbreaker Tapu Fini > Rotom Wash . Tapu Fini allows this team to weaken stall with the combination of Taunt + Nature's Madness, and appreciates Tapu Koko baiting in grasses. It also manages to take on Charizard Mega X, if Heatran get overloaded, Ash Greninja and acts as a back up check to grounds, like Firium Z Garchomp. It also blanket checks a lot of physically Pokémon, which is helpful after replacing Rotom-Wash. The EVs allow it to hit a jump point in SpD, and outspeed standard Defensive Lando T.Although Heatran add a ground weakness and Fini does remove a Ground Immunity, Buzzwole beats most grounds apart from Flynium Z/Rockium Z Lando T , the latter who beat Wash anyway, and you should scout for them, especially if their team is weak to Buzzwole, and Offensive Lando can be revenge killed pretty easily

Set Edit On Buzzwole

I also would suggest keeping Thunder Punch on Buzzwole, and replacing Poison Jab, as with the replacement of Wash, Koko is your only way to beat fat waters, and it can be worn down with Life Orb recoil. You get a secondary check to Tapu Bulu in Heatran instead, and I would also use a slightly different EV spread for the maximum HP investment keeping the 2HKO from Pheromosa. I also agree with keeping Lunge, as it helps pressure switch ins by lowering their attack.
Set Change on

>

>

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Water Shuriken

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 16 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Lunge
- Hammer Arm
- Thunder Punch
Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
Sorry for having no updates for a while - I've finally gotten around to testing the new changes. I really like the Buzzwole changes, and after testing both yours and JTD's spreads, I ended up liking yours better, so that is the current one I am using. I also really liked the Heatran change as for a while I had no real check to Tapu Lele other than Excadrill, who loses if it runs Scarf. However, I didn't really like Tapu Fini's change, as I really liked Rotom-Wash's ability to Volt Switch. With Heatran on the team, it is also capable of having a fair matchup against stall. I'll update the RMT in a sec, thank you for the changes!

Hi this is my first rate after being with showdown for a couple months. I tried your team out because I really liked ash-greninja and was not disappointed. The defensive synergy between heat ran and rotom covers gren and koko well. However, there is a problem with excadrill. While I know that he is very useful and puts out a lot of damage, his item causes problems because he is your hazard remover. Sticky webs really mess with the high speed greninja and tapu koko, so excadrill is used to remove them. However, because you are choice locked into rapid spin, you are either staying in and putting out negligible damage or switching and losing momentum and possibly letting them set up. While I don't recommend replacing excadrill, I do recommend switching his item to maybe leftovers or some thing else. If you would like to keep it, I understand. I would just like to know your reasoning, as this issue struck me as a potential problem.

If you decide to replace excadrill, the tapu fini spread suggested by AnishSomani seems to do the job well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)