facts about jellyfish

MAMP

MAMP!
in the 90s, nasa launched thousands of jellyfish into space as a science experiment
they multiplied, and the newborn jellyfish learnt to swim in space, weightless, untethered
when they were brought back to earth, the space jellies swum only downwards, in crooked loops
life on earth is a life ever bound by the firm chains of gravity. imagine never feeling those bindings? being born never knowing what it is to have weight, physicality?
and then being brought back down to earth and not even knowing how to move, trying to swim but finding yourself only able to spiral down, down, down

as much as 99% of the body weight of a jellyfish is water. they live underwater. they are almost nonexistant. the space jellies are cosmic ghosts of our creation and we should have left them up there, to drift in peace, ethereal, for as long as they could

Albatross

Loosely Resembling Some Variety Of Bird
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributor
Jellyfish are rad

1626775857969.png

Just look at this handsome young Medusozoa, with its long, trailing tentacles filled with stinging cells to sting and capture prey and umbrella-shaped bell for its highly effective propulsion-based locomotion. Did you that the sexual phase of a jellyfish's life is called the medusa? Pretty nifty stuff. Like most marine animals, male jellyfish produce a cloud of sperm that is released into the ocean. This sperm will then be "sucked up" into the female jellyfish, through an orifice that functions as both a mouth, asshole, and box all in one. Wowzeroni, that's some interesting stuff! From there the female's eggs will be fertilised and will release the zygotes after a few days for them to swim out and enjoy life as an unfeeling, uncaring blob of squishy stuff

However, not all jellyfish are like this. One particular species of jellyfish, known as the Copula sivickisi, has a mating dance. The male jellyfish will grab a female one with his tentacles and drag her around for a bit. Then he'll give her a packet of sperm and leave. Groovy stuff! Nature sure is wonderful. Unfortunately this tactic does not work very well with humans, as when I attempted this courtship dance with another woman she started asking a load of annoying questions, like "Hey what's that you've got there" and "Why are you dragging me" and "Help this crazy chick just gave me a packet full of semen". That's just the way things go sometimes though. Sometimes you get a good story out of it, and sometimes you get arrested and charged with harassment and public indecency

Anyways that's all from resident jellyfish expert Albatross, hope you fellas enjoyed my cool jellyfish facts

I’ve been stung by a jellyfish
Not so weird right?
But the thing is, there are really only 3 species of jellyfish that live near me.
The Moon Jelly
The Cannonball Jelly
And the mother fucking Portuguese Man-of-War
Only 1 of these species has a painful sting, but I was stung when I was pretty young, so if I was stung by the PMoW, I probably would have died, which begs the question, what the hell stung me?
Also don’t pee on a jellyfish sting it just reactivates the stingers.

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I, too, think jellyfish are the bee’s knees

3864DCE5-B0A0-4972-B71A-5029D2A7BEEF.jpeg

this squishy bro looks like a sultry red color, but when the lights go out, the built in survival mechanisms come ON, baby! looking like a Lovecraftian reject, her friends call her jelly belly, but for scientific purposes, she’s known as: the bloodybelly comb jellyfish!

try saying that three times fast, ha ha!

49AA7E0F-1B7B-4D8A-9311-E8FB4B9B6C22.jpeg

at the inescapable expanse that is the ocean floor, darkness is the name of the game; she blends right in to the low level light in the deepest parts of the ocean, so her predators can kindly go fuck themselves.

F21A41C8-0034-46F1-95DB-DE9FE741B5EF.jpeg

this thing was originally slated for debut in Final Fantasy XIII, but due to scheduling conflicts, the best gig it’s gonna get is as the butt of this post’s joke

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Common misnomers people think about Jellyfish - they

1) do not live in hives with a Queen and King Jellyfish leading them.

2) do not produce an edible gelatin substance that can be "milked" from their tentacles, much like cow's udders.

3) They are not particularly fond of techno punk music.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)