Walrus Fagtron's Walrus (currently on cat 10, reveals in Discord)

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Hi, this is a walrus by yours truly. You already know how it works: you submit songs befitting to the listed categories, I grade them, you cry "ROBBED" in Discord, and we all have fun. I'm 20 years old and I have listened to way too much music spanning just about any genre imaginable. I don't have much else to say on the matter, I simply want to see you submit music you like and you think I will like, too.

Scoring, The Rules, And Other Shit (READ THESE):
  • I score songs on a scale from 0 to 10, although in practice a 0 is only reserved for complete catfails and songs that are abominable beyond comprehension. Generally anything 4 and below is truly bad to me and anything above 6-6.5 I like to varying degrees, what falls inbetween is alright I guess but nothing too interesting.
  • Songs that fit the category in question excellently will get a 0.5 bonus, songs that fit the category just fine get no bonus, songs that are a bit of a reach but still kinda fit the category get a -0.5 penalty, songs that are in no way related to the category get an instant 0.
  • In addition to this, you can gain a lot of bonus points for submitting songs I haven't heard before. Starting at a base score of 7, I will award a song with a bonus that is 0.1 times the first digit of the base score if I never heard the song before (a live version or a re-recording doesn't count, obviously), and the score is doubled if I never heard anything by this artist before. For example, if you send me a song I never heard before by an artist I never heard before and it gets an 8.7, it gets a bonus of 0.8*2=1.6, whereas if the song scores a 6.5 it gets no bonus.
  • Since I want people to get creative and surprise me, I will not accept more than two subs from the same artist by one person, so if you're trying to give me 12 Björk songs or 12 Muse songs I will ask you to replace 10 of the former with songs by not-Björk and 12 of the former with songs by not-Muse because why the fuck would you submit Muse?
  • Please do not submit any songs from any of the albums on this top 50 and preferably not from any of the artists those albums are made by either.

• I would also like it if you did not submit any songs I submitted to other Walruses, I don't expect you to search through all Walruses to see what I did and did not submit though so I'll notify you in due time if you submitted something I submitted sometime in the past.
  • This should speak for itself but do not submit any songs I used as examples for the categories of this Walrus thanks.
  • Please submit all your submissions before the first reveal, I don't want to get held up by last-minute subbers.
  • You can change your sub for a category at any time until 2 hours before the scheduled reveal of that particular category, please edit the submission into your OP and notify me of the change in a separate post in the conversation.
  • Submissions will only be taken through Smogon PM, please use the following format when subbing:
Code:
Category #: [URL=YT or Soundcloud URL]Artist/Group Name - Song Name[/URL]
Onto the categories:

1. Endtroducing.....
To start off, tell me more about yourself by submitting a song that you would consider representative of yourself and/or your music taste. It would be especially cool if you could provide an explanation as to why you feel this song is representative of you.

Examples:
None! It's all up to you :}

2. You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
I'm looking for a song that is in one way or another about substance abuse. If the general vibe of the songs fits the substance in question that'd be ace. If the song has a "drugged-out" feeling but doesn't mention substance abuse I'll accept that as well.

Examples:
DJ Screw - Smokin' and Leanin'
Tom Waits - The Piano Has Been Drinking

3. Atrocity Exhibition
A lot of my favorite music is all gloom and doom, depressing as all hell. Give me some real downer music. You'll probably do well if you submit sad folky shit, slowcore, or post-punk, but sadness is universal so anything works as long as the artist sells the idea that they're in a bad place.

Examples:
Red House Painters - Medicine Bottle
Unwound - Disappoint

4. 4eva Is a Mighty Long Time
A category for long songs. Your submission should be 6 minutes long at the very least. The longer the better, however I'm capping at around 30 minutes (a little longer I'll probably accept, much longer is a no go) for this category because I only have so much time on my hands.

Examples:
Fenn O'Berg - A Viennese Tragedy
Eric Dolphy - Hat and Beard

5. Flick Your Tongue Against Your Teeth and Describe the Present
I want a song originally released in the current year or last year, considering 2018's only just getting started.

Examples: nah

6. On Doing an Evil Deed Blues
I wanna hear the vilest shit you got. Something with a truly twisted vibe and/or depraved lyrics, make me believe whoever's making this music is genuinely up to no good.

Examples:
Blackout - Murda Mix
Brainbombs - Die You Fuck

7. God's Father
It's time to repent for our sins by turning to religion. Submit music with religious themes/made in name of a religion. I'll accept music that questions or rejects religion, too, but please don't make it edgy atheist shit or you're getting punished, I don't wanna hear the musical equivalent of TheAmazingAtheist thanks

Examples:
Talk Talk - I Believe in You
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Shahbaz Qalandar

8. A Piece of Strange
Get your freak on, because it's time to send me some weird shit. Send me something experimental, something that might surprise me. Keep in mind that I'm well-versed in experimental music, so just submitting a generic rock track with a sitar or whatever isn't going to cut it.

Examples:
Scott Walker - SDSS14+13B (Zercon, A Flagpole Sitter)
Kazumoto Endo - Itabashi Girl

9. R.A.P. Music
It's the hip hop category. Send me hip hop, or anything with a rap verse in it or whatever but preferably hip hop.

Examples: already given plenty of them bop

10. Midnight Marauders
Send me musick to play in the dark. You should know what I mean.

Examples:
Coil - The Dreamer Is Still Asleep
Burial - Untrue

11. The Sound of a Handshake
I like hearing something you wouldn't traditionally hear in music. Music that utilizes samples from non-music, music that incorporates a non-traditional instrument (lamp posts, broccoli, car doors, mayonnaise, etc etc), music that consists merely of nature recordings, all of it is accepted for this category. Please specify which non-traditional sounds are being used.

Examples:
Disco Inferno - In Sharky Water
Doug Haire - Myrtle Beach, SC Midnight / Abilene, KS Sundown

12. All Screwed Up
The final category is a big one. I want you to send me a cover song and the original song it is covering. I am only grading the cover, however how much better/worse I deem the cover to be than the original weighs into its score. I calculate the score for this round as follows: score of the cover*2 - score of the original. This means you can technically earn up to 20 points for this category, but you can also get a negative score if you're doing particularly poorly. For example, if you were to submit Limp Bizkit's Behind Blue Eyes and the original by The Who and I gave the former a 3 (silly, tinny vocals, removes the best part of the original) and the latter a 6.5, you'd end up with a final score of 3*2 - 6.5 = -0.5.

Further specifications: I will accept someone's version of a jazz standard provided there is a clear original recording of the standard, I will not accept remixes, I will not accept different renditions of a classical composition.

Examples: just gave one (just not a good one!)

About me: I'm a very avid music listener with an extremely eclectic music taste. I can dig just about any genre of music provided the song in question is to my liking, whether it be pop, jazz, hip hop, rock, metal, folk, classical, ambient, techno, funk, industrial, house, anything works as long as you submit the right stuff. I'm easy to please, but hard to impress: I have heard a ton of music so it can take For a broad look at my taste, check out the top 50 I linked earlier in this thread and the category examples. A few hints:
    • I like my metal and my punk rock loud, raw, and angry. Don't tone it down when you submit these, don't hit me up with that polished, clean vocal shit (I mean, you can, but at your own risk)
    • I have a high tolerance for "weird" or otherwise unconventional vocals, in general I'm not at all opposed to the ugly and experimental
    • Be careful with "classics", odds are that I've already heard them and worse, a fair amount of them don't do much for me
    • A lot of pre-1960s music (bar classical music) I don't particularly care for due to how repetitive a fair amount of it is to me (some jazz standards, blues, the like)
    • I am not an audiophile, don't fucking submit 240p shit though if possible, but yeah if you wanna submit lo-fi stuff or bootleg stuff that's fine as long as it's nothing too ridiculous
    • Just because I heard a lot of music doesn't mean I heard everything, you can try to go obscure but I may have missed some obvious things

The signed-up (bolded when they have subbed):
Aladyyn
KnightsofCydonia

soviet
eren
DLE
Myzozoa
SketchUp
Isa
Walrein

atomicllamas
Martin
Bedschibaer
tcr
Agape
Asek
Bughouse
Lectrys

MyNameIsNothing
Mizuhime
PDC
RODAN
stank soojunk
Lord Gaius

Last edited:

termi

i forgot to do this but since i joined y'all's walruses i Officially Invite atomicllamas bluedoom Martin Asek Mizuhime Agape tcr to return the favor. you're free to decline the invitation but it would be unwise.

i'm gonna try to shoot for 20 signups, maybe less, maybe more, depending on how it goes. once i'm approaching an acceptable number i'll announce signup deadline + first reveal.

I like to think myself as being burnt out on walruses right now, but since your subs to my walrus were cool albeit in a really dad way, in.

If I hit a roadblock on a song I'll ask my weird friends to provide weird music. In to win.

termi

I'm gonna try to do the first reveal (possibly a double feature of the first two cats) Saturday, February 24th, probably around 9PM GMT+1. Make sure you have signed up & submitted before then (so please no last minute signups thanks), I want to have all submissions by then, if you are for whatever reason absolutely not capable of giving me all the subs before then at least make sure you have given me the first 4 subs, keep in mind that as long as I don't have all your subs I will nag you constantly about them though :)

termi

reminder reminder: soviet eren tcr Mizuhime PDC Agape have yet to sub me anything, sub for the first four cats at the very least. Da Letter El Myzozoa Martin MyNameIsNothing atomicllamas have subbed stuff but haven't subbed all of the first four yet. keep in mind that you can change your subs later so if you're in a hurry just post whatever comes to mind for one of the later cats and change it later if need be imo

make sure i have the requested subs by friday, especially cat 1 and 2

termi

CATEGORY 1: Endtroducing.....

fyi, I reveal based on raw scores, so the scores I give to the songs themselves. Some songs that are ranked lower will end up with higher total scores than higher ranked songs due to bonuses. For example, song X gets a 7.5 from me and a 0.5 cat bonus and is ranked #7, whereas song Y gets a 7.8 without cat bonus and is ranked #6, despite the fact that song X's overall score will end up higher than song Y's.

Header:

hi every1 im new!!!!!!! holds up spork my name is katy but u can call me t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m!!!!!!!! lol…as u can see im very random!!!! thats why i came here, 2 meet random ppl like me _… im 13 years old (im mature 4 my age tho!!) i like 2 watch invader zim w/ my girlfreind (im bi if u dont like it deal w/it) its our favorite tv show!!! bcuz its SOOOO random!!!! shes random 2 of course but i want 2 meet more random ppl =) like they say the more the merrier!!!! lol…neways i hope 2 make alot of freinds here so give me lots of commentses!!!!
DOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <--- me bein random again _^ hehe…toodles!!!!!

love and waffles,

t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m
LG sez: "My taste is way too varied, here's a song with influences from a lot of different genres to account for that"
4.6 + 0.5

I'm not a huge comedy rap fan to be honest. This one did give me a small chuckle or two for what it's worth, but the joke gets stale pretty quickly. Like most comedy rap, it relies entirely on the joke so the instrumental is whatever. Because it relies on the joke and the joke isn't that great to begin with it also has zero replay value. Gets category bonus, pretty self-explanatory.
5.0 + 0.5

I like to say I like just about any genre but there are a few subgenres I largely don't care too much for, folk punk being one of them (fair warning to all of you, if you submitted any folk-punk, third wave ska or Bob Marley-style reggae: reconsider). If it sounds like a band playing in a pub would play it, I'm probably going to be rather indifferent towards it. The instrumentals here are alright and stuff, the vocals I really could do without, bit too theatrical for my liking.
Walrein sez: "i have very questionable sleeping habits" (he's not lying, bonus: awarded)
5.1 + 0.5
https://tenseimusic.bandcamp.com/track/g4m3-or-d13

Not what I'm looking for these days, for what it's worth I don't mind hearing it but I could do without it.
Agape sez: "I was going to post pony, but I think this Homestuck song is a bit more inside the overlap of the genres I mostly listen to put cannot put my finger on. Language describing music genres beats me. Electronic, something that you can play as background music and preferably without words but sometimes you stop what you're doing to listen in amazement." (yeah on that note please try to avoid sending me pony stuff altogether)

Sounds too much like a club banger. She can rap for sure and the song starts off fine but eventually it starts working on my nerves, it's a little... too much.

Shitty band name. Song's alright, I can dig it but it does little to differentiate itself from your average indie band.

6.1 + 0.5

I'm not sure how much I can vibe with this drunk-teenagers-in-the-70s-rocking-out-and-being-free-rock-and-roll type of thing if you catch my drift, it's just not the kind of rock music I'd personally search out. However, I do like a few things going on here: the driving drum beat, the little touches of piano and organ in the background, that stuff I like.
Mizu sez: "I was struggling to think of a song that described me really, and this one doesn't really either, the first part is about falling in love so that works to an extent but the second part is about being left which thankfully hasn't happened to me lmao. I just typically prefer older music, I grew up on seger and I didn't want to waste a good tribe called quest song on this cat, so enjoy some of Detroit's very own the legendary seger"
6.2 + 0.5

This is about as 90s as it gets lol. Heavy Pavement vibes and Dinosaur Jr. vibes and all those "slacker rock" bands, it's decent enough but I find the lo-fi recording quality to be a bit of hindrance on this one if anything. There's some sort of piano going on in the background but it's almost drowned out which is unfortunate imo. Song's also over before you know it, still pretty fun tho.
Asek sez: "brief explanation i started looking for music away from what people would consider 'mainstream' in uh.... late 2013? my first site to do this was on some site that apparently had the 'best rock releases of the last 20 years'. i dont know who compiled the list but it had things like pavement, dismemberment plan, built to spill that have all gone on to have some of my favourite albums in my collection but the archers of loaf - icky mettle was the first album on the list that really gelled with me and realised i preferred this style of music to what id grown accustomed to (mainly radio crap and some 90s hip hop). this is my favorite track from that albm and altho it isnt one of my favourite albums of all time i still consider this track to be important to me and my taste for that reason. i cant find the site anymore... thanks for reading."

6.5 + 0.5

Very very saccharine. A bit standard in terms of songwriting but it does its thing well enough, it's a rather pretty tune.
Bughouse sez: "Things I am a total sucker for:
piano ballads
vamping in the guitar
"clear" "beautiful" female voices
harmony
Things this song has: see above"

I'm not big on Grimes, this is one of her better songs though. The instrumental's neat, her vocals are serviceable here but nothing outstanding.
llamas sez: "I like this song a lot. Reasons I like this song: strong female singer, strong beat."
6.9 + 0.5

Black Flag isn't my favorite hardcore punk band by any means, nevertheless this tune's quite alright.
soviet sez: "song chosen because im mentally a wreck a lot of the time and also because i love fast and emotional punk like this"

Classic psych rock tune, it's pretty solid. Nothing much to say about it.
tcr sez: "i think this describes my taste perfectly, that classic 60-70s psych rock with blues influences"

7.0 + 0.5

This album absolutely did not click with me initially, but upon revisiting it a while ago I discovered there was quite a bit to like about it. Still, to be frank I like Sweet Trip best when they stick to one genre rather than blending it, this track's tight but I feel the frantic breaks and glitches don't blend well with the vocal segments. When it changes to straight up shoegaze halfway through it becomes a lot better, although the segment goes on for a little too long.
DLE sez: "It's a mix of two of my favorite genres, shoegaze and electronic music. It's chill and vibey as fuck. The whole album is a bop. Also, cookies are delicious, and help define my culinary taste as well."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)