SS OU FAIRY LOCK HYPER OFFENSE (Peak 1935 - #15)

FAIRY LOCK HYPER OFFENSE (Peak 1935 - #15)

1) Intro :

Hello everyone and welcome to my first RMT ! I've been playing pokemon competitively since Gen 4 but I never shared my teams because I'm shy and I normally don't interact with people so I decided to right that wrong. My favourite playstyle is hyper offense as I prefer quick matches and it's the playstyle I'm most comfortable with so if you're like me and like HO and/or testing uncommon strats, you might have fun trying this team !

I wanted to make a team that could abuse the move Fairy Lock as best as possible. This move is fairly interesting as it traps Pokemon for one turn, allowing you to claim a free K.O since your opponent cannot switch their Pokemon ! This move is best suited for this playstyle as you can pick which Pokemon of your opponent you want to eliminate to create an easy sweeping opportunity down the line if you plan carefully during team preview.

I first used this team under an alt just to have some fun climbing the entire ladder easily up until 1750~ Elo, I then used it on this account which was at 1780~ to climb up to 1935 Elo, my peak with this team.

2) Proof of peak :
RKOtaku - Peak 1935 - 15ème (3 - Petit).png

3) Team Building Process :

:klefki:
Klefki being the only Pokemon able to learn Fairy Lock its place on the team was mandatory.

:klefki: :urshifu:
I then picked Urshifu-R as I needed a strong Pokemon that could break walls easily and that could bypass Protect.

:klefki: :urshifu: :kyurem:
I knew picking Urshifu-R meant that I could easily K.O steel types Pokemon so I decided to choose Kyurem as it is one of the most powerful Pokemon of the metagame, even more so if you manage to trap a Ferrothorn early in the match. It was also a good choice to get rid of fat Pokemon that Urshifu-R could not beat like grass types, Pelipper etc ...

:klefki: :urshifu: :kyurem: :blacephalon:
Scarf Blacephalon was chosen to have a way to kill opposing Scarfers like Landorus-T and he was also a great pick because of his potential to snowball easily or trick annoying Pokemon like bulky set up sweepers like Volcarona, Dragonite and fatter teams where he doesn't need a Scarf.

:klefki: :urshifu: :kyurem: :blacephalon: :tapu koko:
After picking my fat breakers I knew that I needed a fast Pokemon that could K.O most defoggers easily to keep the pressure with Klefki's Spikes. I choose Tapu Koko because of that but also because in a team that could easily deal with ground types, a strong electric type could be devastating. I also needed a fast Pokemon that could revenge kill Garchomp which is a huge threat to this team. I also thought about Regieleki for his speed, power and utility in rapid spin but it made my team's matchup against Garchomp even worse. Moreover, I didn't want my opponents to think that my Klefki is holding Ring Target because they wouldn't let me trap their ground types.

:klefki: :urshifu: :kyurem: :blacephalon: :tapu koko: :hawlucha:
Hawlucha was my last pick as I needed a ground immunity that wouldn't scare Landorus-T away like a Galarian Zapdos would for example (recurring theme as you can see, I want my opponent to think that their Landorus-T is safe). His natural synergy with Tapu Koko made the choice easy.

4) The Team :

Klefki (M) @ Eject Button
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Fairy Lock
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play / Toxic

Klefki is the star of the team as the gimmick is centered around his Fairy Lock move to trap opposing Pokemon whether in conjunction with Eject Button to allow you to switch when Klefki survives a hit or if you predict correctly and use it the turn he dies. It is important to note that you can't spam Fairy Lock every turn so you do have to use it at the right time. Eject Button is also prediction reliant as it is a one use item and it can be made useless with Knock Off or a priority user faster than Klefki.
Spikes is here to add some pressure to grounded Pokemon and break things faster. Thunder Wave priority is always nice whether you want to stop a setup sweeper, slow down a faster threat or just try to haxx. I decided to go with Foul Play as the last move to allow Klefki to not be complete setup bait but I guess you could also use Toxic if you want to. I never felt the need to run Toxic on it though but since Foul Play is also quite situational the choice is up to you.
The evs spread is classic and allows you to survive a Landorus-T Earthquake most of the time :
252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Klefki: 270-320 (84.9 - 100.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aqua Jet
- Close Combat
- Surging Strikes

Urshifu-R is the main physical breaker of the team and also the only Pokemon on my team able to break through Protect and Substitute thanks to his ability and Surging Strikes. Close Combat is the second stab and allows you to break through steel types for Kyurem and gives another powerful move to not get obliterated by Rocky Helmet. I then choose Aqua-Jet as it can be a great move to RK Volcarona or simply finish a weakened team late game. U-Turn rounds out his movepool by giving you a really nice momentum option, especially on a team full of Choiced Items Pokemon.
On this team I feel like using Close Combat is often the better choice when you face a team with Corviknight or Skarmory due to the higher power of the move compared to Surging Strikes :
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 204-241 (51 - 60.2%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 168-198 (50.2 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Focus Blast
- Earth Power

Kyurem is the main special breaker of the team and function well with Urshifu-R as he can beat grass types and flying types easily for him while Urshifu-R can check most steel types and beat them down to allow Kyurem to spam his deadly ice attacks. The moveset is fairly simple, Ice Beam to have a powerful special ice stab, Freeze-Dry can hit water types and is a pretty decent middle ground option when you don't want to predict, Earth Power hits steel types like Melmetal and Heatran while Focus Blast is a decent alternative to deal with steel types while still being able to hit Corviknight and destroy Blissey if you manage to have some slight chip damage on her or if you manage to trick her to take away her Heavy Duty Boots :
252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 302-356 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- 89.8% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes
I decided to go with a timid nature for this particular team as I felt like the damage difference with a modest nature wasn't needed most of the time and I really hate having to speed tie with other Kyurem or Tapu Lele on a team where I don't have any Tapu Lele switch in.

Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast

Blacephalon is a great multi tool kit for this team as it allows me to heavily damage my opponent early game, trick annoying Pokemon or snowball late game. His Fire/Ghost coverage can be a nightmare to deal with (Ghost spam is pretty annoying in this meta anyway) so I went with Shadow Ball and Flamethrower for the accuracy over Fire Blast but both options are fine. I would reconsider Mind Blown in other teams but in this one it is particularly helpful as you can see with the following calcs :
252 SpA Blacephalon Mind Blown vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 330-388 (103.4 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Blacephalon Mind Blown vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zeraora: 330-388 (104.1 - 122.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Blacephalon Mind Blown vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arctozolt through Light Screen: 330-388 (102.8 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog / Grass Knot / Volt Switch
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam

Tapu Koko is my fast anti Defog pokemon. He provides me with great utility by messing up opponents terrain and a decent pivoting move with U-Turn. I chose U-Turn over Volt Switch as if there isn't any ground types anymore on the opposing teams I'm most likely going to click Thunderbolt anyway and if there is I don't want to waste a turn and losing momentum. Dazzling Gleam is Tapu Koko's Fairy stab and hits decently hard. The last move could seem strange on a Spikes team but I felt like I never needed Grass Knot with this team while there are certain times Defog saved me against opposing hazard stack teams. I can definitely see why you could prefer using Grass Knot or Volt Switch over Defog so I listed them as an option. I chose Choice Specs as the item as Specs Thunderbolt hits insanely hard and I needed to be able to have a guaranteed kill against Garchomp anyway. Here are some calcs against some Pokemon that could annoy my team otherwise :
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 362-428 (101.4 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 128+ SpD Heatran in Electric Terrain: 178-210 (46.1 - 54.4%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos in Electric Terrain: 253-298 (66 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 32 HP / 0 SpD Melmetal in Electric Terrain: 328-387 (78.2 - 92.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after 2 layers of Spikes

Hawlucha (M) @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt / Stone Edge
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Finally, Hawlucha completes this team as the only setup sweeper on the team and also a Pokemon that wouldn't be annoyed by the rare Ditto. The moveset is fairly basic, Swords Dance for boosting Hawlucha's attack stat, Acrobatics for a strong Flying stab without drawbacks almost guaranteed every match and Close Combat to melt everything else. The last move is where you can definitely pick the move you prefer using though. I initially went with Stone Edge to hit Zapdos but I almost never encountered it and when I did, he was already KO'd by the point I would send Hawlucha to finish my opponent's team so I switched Stone Edge to Taunt as I found it more valuable overall. The spread on Hawlucha is customizable as always but I went with the full speed variant as I don't like losing against another Hawlucha and having a check to a +2 Volcarona is always nice. A bulkier spread definitely has its merits though so I leave the choice to you ! I feel like most calcs are irrelevant with Hawlucha considering you almost never send it when a team is at full health but I'll leave a few calcs with the most important ones being the ones against Corviknight and Mandibuzz as I know some inexperienced players panick when they see these pokemon and they mess up a potential sweep :
252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 156 Def Volcarona: 360-426 (96.5 - 114.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tapu Fini: 277-327 (80.5 - 95%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
+4 252+ Atk Hawlucha Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 381-448 (95.2 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Corviknight Brave Bird vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha: 194-230 (65.3 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha: 114-134 (38.3 - 45.1%) -- 9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I know pointing these calcs might seem stupid to high ladder players but if newer/inexperienced players want to try this team I think it is important to point out that if a Corviknight switch in front of your Hawlucha and you are at +2 do NOT click Close Combat but Swords Dance again since even after Stealth Rock it can't KO your Hawlucha unless it crits. If you face a Mandibuzz while you are at +0 the correct sequence of play is always the following : Swords Dance > Acrobatics > Acrobatics.

5) Threat list :

:tapu lele:
Tapu Lele is a massive headache for this team, especially if it is Scarf. Because of Psychic Terrain, Klefki can't paralyze it either so your best option is to trap it with Klefki, have a safe pivot thanks to Eject Button, RK it with Blacephalon or simply not let her enter the battlefield because if she does and you don't have Klefki anymore it will claim a KO.

:garchomp:
Garchomp is another huge threat for this team as my only ground immunity is Hawlucha so your best bet is to pivot around it to trap it with Klefki even if it means sacking him. If Garchomp manages to get to +2 Att and +1 Speed you might as well forfeit.

:blacephalon:
If you see a Blacephalon during team preview you should think twice about leading with Klefki unless you want to paralyze it but losing Klefki turn 1 really sucks overall. Your best bet is to pivot thanks to Eject Button and send Urshifu, Koko or Kyurem depending on the set. Hawlucha is also a nice emergency button if you mess up against this scary clown.

:regieleki:
Not too common thankfully but if you see it and its Specs you might just have to accept defeat and move on. The only way to RK it is Hawlucha's Close Combat or Kyurem, but do not give it an electric terrain boost.

:arctozolt:
Just like Tapu Lele and Regieleki you can't paralyze it and if it enters the field it will most likely be under Aurora Veil, if that's the case your best option is to once again pivot with Eject Button and kill it with either Blacephalon or Kyurem. Just like Regieleki, do not give this Pokemon a boost with electric terrain.

Playstyles : Screen HO and Hazard Stack HO.
These playstyles are not impossible to manage, far from it actually but they are in my opinion the most dangerous ones for my team. If you happen to face another HO team your best option is to be more aggressive than your opponent.

6) Replays and How to play the team :

I will admit that this part is going to be disappointing for those looking for a ton of replays as me making an RMT was a last minute decision... So, on top of these replays I will briefly speak about some situations I encountered and general advices to use this team to its full potential !

Replays :
- VS a balance team that shows Fairy Lock potential : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1405732597-6f8u6nizaad23easafp4oclaabr3xkmpw
- VS classic stall : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1405730075-w2x7p7z650ubxzfz018l27gvouvwxshpw
- VS Aurora Veil HO : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1406731845-8va4csc23uc34vx9nqsgmk4ka1y5db8pw
- VS Regieleki Semi Stall : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1406768770-vw20bk00jfx39440ivtprndxoky1tolpw (Peak)

Advices :
Now that we are done with the short replays I want to adress some points that were not shown in these replays to try to help you maneuver the team if you don't feel comfortable using it. (Albeit this team is really easy to understand and use so feel free to skip this section :) )

1) The first one I want to adress is how to use Klefki : Don't sack Klefki turn one just to get one layer of Spikes, its usefulness would be greatly diminished. Klefki is bulky enough to live one strong hit most of the time and allow you to pivot to a check/counter without having to take damage on it. Most of the time Klefki is a fine lead but in certain matchups (HO most of the time) it's better to lead with one of your strong breakers and apply immediate pressure. Klefki can come in clutch with a paralysis or a guaranteed KO thanks to Fairy Lock at ANY point in the match so try to recognize when Klefki is better to sack and when sacking another one of your Pokemon might be more helpful.

2) How to use Eject Button : Just like Klefki, don't let your Eject Button be wasted (just like I did in my last replay, thankfully I wasn't facing an offensive team...) turn one as it can come in handy whenever you need it to give you a free pivot. Sometimes trapping an opposing Pokemon isn't a necessity and if that's the case, the item being only a one time pivot without trapping is completely fine.

3) How to use Fairy Lock : The move is pretty straightforward but don't forget to make good reads as you don't want to use it when your opponents switch into their Heatran for example as the move traps both Klefki and the Pokemon its facing.

4) The last one is applicable to every offensive team but play aggressively with this team when needed. A double switch at the right time can be a game changer and the same goes for predicting correctly. You don't want to lose momentum with this team.

7) Importable :

Use to unlock the link !

8) Fun fact :

Initially, none of the Pokemon on my team were shiny. But after I looked at my team more I realized that there was a good looking synergy between members of my team and since Klefki is known to be a little prankster I went with a full shiny team because these Pokemon have a certain malicious aura about them in their shiny form !

9) Conclusion :

And that's a wrap for my first ever RMT ! I hope you enjoyed looking at it as I did my best to explain everything (hopefully my bad english wont show too much) and more importantly I hope you will enjoy using the team !

The fact that this team loses its surprise factor when you face the same opponent multiple times is definitely a weak point but beating the same person multiple times is still doable. I definitely had a lot of fun using it but since I'm constantly trying new things I'm moving on to create something else !

Feel free to comment, modify the team to your liking or even just take inspiration from this nasty Klefki set.

Just like my team, I had fun creating this RMT too so I might post another one in the future, until then, I hope you have fun with this team !

Last edited:
Very well made RMT, and very creative. I'm glad to see somebody is bringing Eject Lock Klefki to this gen. With so many switching moves, it can no longer be used in tandem with block setup mons, but it is still very much viable on Offense. Building around this pokemon is very difficult, as it circumvents normal building and forces one to create a team that has synergy under the very odd circumstance of trapping anything. Stay creative!

Very well made RMT, and very creative. I'm glad to see somebody is bringing Eject Lock Klefki to this gen. With so many switching moves, it can no longer be used in tandem with block setup mons, but it is still very much viable on Offense. Building around this pokemon is very difficult, as it circumvents normal building and forces one to create a team that has synergy under the very odd circumstance of trapping anything. Stay creative!
Thank you for the nice comment I appreciate it :)
To be honest I took you as a reference for how to build my RMT as I always enjoyed reading through your RMT since they are well structured and the content is interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)