Farewell, Cresselia. (Maniac)

The team at a glance:

Background
:

After successfully using high speed Suicune for a while, I searched for another expectantly slow Pokemon. At first, Jirachi and Celebi came to mind, but they apparently are expected to be fast. Then, looking through Smogon's Pokemon list, I found Cresselia. I ran it by Maniaclyrasist and we came up with some extreme theorymon. Cresselia had it all- Levitate, 101 HP Substitutes, a good 85 base speed, and a usable special attack. The icing on the cake was that everyone at the time expected it to be slow. It seemed to be the perfect Pokemon to fit my criteria. It only had two banes- Sandstorm, and lack of type coverage. I then based this team around getting Cresselia to set up and annihilate any opposition that would stop Cresselia. After one good week, this team is now officially retired.

The Team:
@ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 36 Atk/252 Spd/220 SAtk
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Flamethrower
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic

This is an awesome lead. Sets up the Rocks that annoys everyone so much. Most Spinners get at least 2HKO'd (the exception being Starmie, which my team actually does well against). However, Azelf's usefulness is deteriorating- rapidly. The metagame is changing quickly with Tyranitar leads and Azelf can only get Stealth Rock in. Aerodactyl would be be the replacement, however, I don't like it too much. Azelf has Explosion, which aids in switching Cresselia in.
(F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 136 Atk/252 Spd/120 SAtk
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Explosion
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Wonderful mixed sweeper. Explosion is incredibly awesome in taking out a nuisance and switching Cresselia in. The main reason I'm using Hidden Power Ice is for Garchomp. I don't like Focus Blast as missing is not cool, and I'd prefer reliability over power.
(M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 SDef
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Slide
- Pursuit

Yeah, these guys are that good. Pursuit may seem weird and unnecessary on a Pokemon that has Arena Trap, but it easily deals with Gengar. My team generally doesn't have problems with Heracross and Breloom anyway so Pursuit can slightly cover up my Gengar problem. I change Rock Slide to Stone Edge occasionally to hit harder, however, Rock Slide is much more consistent due to its accuracy.
(M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 240 HP/80 Atk/188 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Crunch

"Tyranitar counter." There's no way I'm running Extremespeed as my team already has slight problems with Gengar- and I'd prefer to get rid of it fast. Stone Edge was replaced with Crunch because the former is such a horrible move (seriously, it missed three times in a row...) and Crunch is nifty in dealing with Bulky Psychics and Ghost-types. 188 Speed EVs allows it to out speed the Base 70s (like Breloom) and finish them off.
@ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 72 HP/216 Spd/220 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Fast Suicune. It is there to get rid of Heatran, which Cresselia has troubles with. It has 286 speed because I usually want to outrun Togekiss and Mamoswine (which I have lost to on many occasions due to random Snow Cloak activations). Has the element of surprise to it also, which is always good.
(F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 92 HP/232 Spd/184 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball

Substitute Cresselia is too good. It has 404 HP, meaning there's no way Blissey is beating this without Sandstorm or if I play dumb and get poisoned/paralyzed (which I won't obviously lol). Substitute is reinforced by Calm Mind, blocks status, and aids in prediction (along with having the ability to kill Heracross). 290 Speed outspeeds the rare Electivire, but it also beats random 286 speed Pokemon, like SubRoost Zapdos which can become a nuisance due to Pressure. It works so well because people never expect a fast Cresselia. People are also afraid of the possibility of Ice Beam so they won't immediately switch Garchomp in. I know this is walled by Tyranitar, but that's what I have Lucario and Dugtrio for. Hidden Power Fighting seems like the better option- it hits Heatran/Tyranitar/Blissey super-effectively and still hits Metagross and Jirachi- but it prevents me from beating Celebi and Spiritomb in which my team could have problems with. I already have Suicune to deal with Heatran and Weavile and Lucario to deal with Tyranitar.

What's so Good About This Team:
This team is not overly reliant on one Pokémon to sweep. In fact, everyone of these Pokemon could sweep to an extent. It's an offensive team not beaten by Deoxys-S. In fact, mixed sweeping Deoxys-S actually grants Cresselia a free switch in and helps set up. The team also has the element of surprise on its side, due to the Pokémon usually used as "tanks" are now decently fast sweepers. This was actually my first time using Cresselia on Shoddybattle, and the results are amazing.

By the way, if anyone wants to use this team, go ahead. Just be warned of the abundance of Tyranitar leads :}

Ok, I have responded a little late, but I still would like to rate your team. The only weakness to your team is Weavile from what I can see. It OHKO's Azelf and Gengar with pursuit, as yours isn't scarfed. It can OHKO Dugtrio with Ice Shard, if it comes down to it at the end. And it can give Cresselia trouble as well. Other than that, I like it!

You can't take chances with Weavile, and if Bullet Punch fails to OHKO (someone run some damage calcs?) then it can Brick Break back.
I've always found Suicune to be a good Weavile counter though, since it's extremely bulky and nothing of Weavile's hits it SE, while it can Surf back for major damage. Don't hold me on that though.

If i did these damage calcs correctly, your particular Lucario would not OHKO a weavile even with Life Orb. sorry for being false

Yeah, i agree, weavile is a pretty big problem.

try to get a fighting type if possible ^_^
Actually Weavile isn't a huge problem for him. After doing some calculations I've found that the only Jolly Weavile (the most common nature for Weavile) that 2HKO's his Suicune needs a Life Orb and at least one Swords Dance. However, if he's to lose Suicune then I can see some problems and I think I have the perfect remedy to that. I suggest replacing Dugtrio with the following Metagross set.

Metagross @ Lum Berry / Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 112 HP / 184 Atk / 212 Spd
Adamant nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Explosion / Meteor Mash
- Earthquake

This Metagross will give you a solid 2HKO on Weavile with Bullet Punch while using Choice Band will garuntee a OHKO. However, Lum Berry will allow you to deal with Gengar better. With Pursuit, this Metagross will do just as good as a job of trapping Ghost types as your Dugtrio would but with much higher attack. Explosion will do a nice job dealing some damage when Metagross has done his job but Meteor Mash will provide a OHKO on Weavile without Choice Band if you'd prefer that.

Your Cresselia will never beat Blissey. Considering it's Blissey vs. Cresselia, the standard Blissey is only 4HKO'd by +6 Psychic with Leftovers. Not to mention that if your opponent has SR on the field, Blissey will always beat you. The only possible chance of beating her would be to score a crit or lower her SpD a couple of times.

Also, Tyranitar really is your worst nightmare. Consider this. You have a Dugtrio out against an opposing Gengar. You pursuit as it switches. In comes Tyranitar. It Dragon Dances as you switch to what? Your only option would be Suicune. With no form of recovery other then Leftovers it just won't be able to take boosted crunches. Considering it's Jolly it can outspeed Gengar and Azelf, and Jolly CB EQ from Dugtrio won't OHKO. Even worse if this particular Tyranitar uses Rock Polish over Dragon Dance with a Life Orb, you pretty much lost.

These are just based on possible outcomes. These won't always happen but if they do it's pretty hard for you to win.

Um, Cresselia will obviously and always beat Blissey due to hax since Cresselia gets to sit on its ass setting up while Blissey does nothing unless it has Sandstorm/Hail Support. Cresselia has tons of turns to repeatedly use Psychics to lower hax it.

I've never really had a Weavile problem either; Suicune is usually my number one switch-in against Weavile and Weavile doesn't really do much to it. Weavile won't be switching in to Lucario either and thanks to Stealth Rock, Lucario does OHKO it. With a Swords Dance, Lucario automatically falls it. If it's the Anti-lead Weavile (Fake Out, Ice Punch, Night Slash, Pursuit, Taunt), then Lucario will be able to somewhat set-up on it and start a mini-sweep.

Please don't assume I don't know how to play this team because I have a lot of experience with it and will obviously not play like an idiot.

Um, Cresselia will obviously and always beat Blissey due to hax since Cresselia gets to sit on its ass setting up while Blissey does nothing unless it has Sandstorm/Hail Support. Cresselia has tons of turns to repeatedly use Psychics to lower hax it.

I've never really had a Weavile problem either; Suicune is usually my number one switch-in against Weavile and Weavile doesn't really do much to it. Weavile won't be switching in to Lucario either and thanks to Stealth Rock, Lucario does OHKO it. With a Swords Dance, Lucario automatically falls it. If it's the Anti-lead Weavile (Fake Out, Ice Punch, Night Slash, Pursuit, Taunt), then Lucario will be able to somewhat set-up on it and start a mini-sweep.

Please don't assume I don't know how to play this team because I have a lot of experience with it and will obviously not play like an idiot.
Standard anti-lead Weavile doesn't use Pursuit, it uses Counter, Taunt, Ice Shard, and Fake Out.

So your pretty much saying that hax always win it for you, however if you don't get hax then you are going to lose as I stated above.

Yeah I agree that there is a lot of Weavile weakness in the team but other then that seems like a pretty good team.

Great job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)