SS OU Farewell, My Friend (Magearna Balance)

Farewell, My Friend

Hey everyone, this is my first RMT of the generation. I figured I might as well post this team as Magearna is likely getting banned, and if not I will get valuable advice on the team. This mon was one of my favorites last gen and this gen, and I will be sad to see it likely leave OU. Anyways, let's get started!

The Team:

:sm/magearna: :sm/tangrowth: :sm/slowbro: :sm/mandibuzz: :sm/excadrill: :sm/cinderace:

First off Magearna:
:magearna:
Magearna @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Trick
- Volt Switch.

When specs Magearna was discovered during World Cup, I immediately hopped on the builder to build something around this abosulte monster. In my opinion, this is the set that makes Magearna ban worthy. It straight up has next to no counters that can switch in multiple times. Anyways, into the set. Modest specs Magearna allows nearly everything in the tier to get 2HKOed or OHKOed. Fleur cannon is an abosulte nuke that does over fifty to nearly every resist. Flash cannon is there for stuff like clefable and is a STAB that doesn't lower its special attack. Trick is meant to cripple wall such as Chansey, Blissey, Pex and Ferrothorn for other teammates to take advantage on. Volt switch also helps keep up momentum in stuff such as Ferro and creates a volt-turn core with Cinderace's U-turn. This mon breaks for cCnderace to clean up late game. Their synergy on this team is unmatched. I also run enough speed to outspeed modest Clef, Agesilash, and adament Azu and hit the 221 benchmark for stuff like Mandibuzz and Kommo-o

:tangrowth:
Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Stun Spore
- Sleep Powder

Tangrowth is a great defensive partner for Magearna. Magearna struggles with ground/steel types such as Excadrill, Ferro, Hippo, and many others. All of which Tangrowth resitst. Rocky helmet is also great for switching in on Urshifu, figuring out what move it is using and switch in to your fighting or dark resist. It also is a good answer to belly drum azu, and being able to revenge kill it. Knock off is a great utility move for Mandibuzz which is a common switch in for the fear of sleep powder. Sleep powder cripples many defensive counters for Cinderace and Magearna to pick apart. I run another status moves in stun spore due to this team being very slow. It is good for stuff such as physical Dragapult and Hawlucha for Mageana or Cinderace to revenge kill.

:slowbro:
Slowbro @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off
- Teleport
This team really struggles with opponet Cinderace. Slowbro is meant to be a good check and potentially cripple it with t-wave. This is a similar case with Alakzam so it can be revenge killed by Cinderace or Magearna. The dual regenerator core is great for prolonged games, especially with Slowbro's teleport being a great pivot into an offensive mon after getting a t-wave off. Its a good mon to sponge a lot of neutral physical hits and regen them off

:mandibuzz:
Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- Taunt
Right now this team does not take special attacks well at all. Mandibuzz is meant to be a great check to pokemon such as special Dragapult, Alakzam (without dazzling gleam) and is the teams dark resist to Ursihu. It is also the premier defogger in this tier for a reason. It is great at sponging nearly all special attacks. Taunt is there to prevent status because this team does not have a great status absorber. It also can taunt out roosts from opposing Mandibuzz and hippo so other pokemon can pick on it. It also helps shut down Clefable and get switched in on by Cinderace and Magearna while only being to use moonbalst which they both resist

:excadrill:
Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 32 Atk / 236 SpD / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill is this teams stealth rocker. Toxic is great for predicting defensive counter-play such as Hippo, Mandibuzz and Kommo. The 32 attack Ivs is meant to guarantee the 2HKO on Toxapex and 240 speed is meant to outrun max speed Rotom. The rest goes into spdef so it can absorb stab attacks from Magearna and scare it out with eq. Rapid spin is not necessary due to not many mons having issues with hazards on this team. It is a great glue and creates fantastic synergy with Mandibuzz and the physdef walls. Kommo-o was orignally in its place, but I really needed more help with Magerna.

Cindercace (Don't know how to get sprite)
Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Libero
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 SpD / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pyro Ball
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot

This Pokemon really holds the team together offensively. Pyro ball is great for grass types, zen headbutt hits Kommo-o and Toxapex, gunk shot is for fairy types such as Primerina and Clef and u-turn is great for momentum alongside with Magearna. With adamanet Cinderace nearly 2HKOs every single Pokemon in the tier. Its speed tier contains not much you want to be faster than from 329-370. I also run 329 speed to outrun base 100s. I put the rest into spdef to switch into Volcarona and Magerna. It is great for cleaning through crippled teams at the end of the game from the status that Tangrowth/Slowbro put onto it and the breaking power that Magerna has.

Threats:
:alakazam:
This mon with dazzling gleam cleaves through this team. My only hope is going into Slowbro on a psychic/ focus blasst and getting a t-wave off and sacking Slowbro is the only way around it.

:volcarona:
If Cinderace is dead/weakend this mon kills everything, especially after a quiver dance.

Your Own Pokemon!
I have lost countless games off pyro ball, gunk shot and fleur cannon misses. Maybe my own Pokemon are out to get me

And that is it for my RMT. Give me feedback and hope you enjoyed!

Reactions: BP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)