Fat people should not be able to ride planes

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN2039776920081120

OTTAWA, Nov 20 (Reuters) - Obese people have the right to two seats for the price of one on flights within Canada, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled on Thursday.
The high court declined to hear an appeal by Canadian airlines of a decision by the Canadian Transportation Agency that people who are "functionally disabled by obesity" deserve to have two seats for one fare.
The airlines had lost an appeal at the Federal Court of Appeal in May and had sought to launch a fresh appeal at the Supreme Court. The court's decision not to hear a new appeal means the one-person-one-fare policy stands.
The appeal had been launched by Air Canada (ACa.TO: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), Air Canada Jazz (JAZ_u.TO: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) and WestJet (WJA.TO: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz). (Reporting by Randall Palmer)

I just realized canada isnt as good as i thaught it was

Edit:(is canadian)

So does functionally disabled mean that they have to have proof that some disease is actually crippling them by making it basically impossible to not be fat? I sure hope so.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I agree with the Supreme Court there.

As much as people want to believe it is easy for a motivated obese person to lose weight, they judge from the outside when clearly not in the position of one of those people and I don't think it is an easy feat.

If one seat isn't enough, they should get two for free. Someone in a wheelchair gets accomodated after all. Blind people get accomodated. Would accomodating obese people encourage people to stay fat? I don't think so because I doubt obese people enjoy being accomodated. I would feel pretty bad about myself if I actually needed to use 2 seats in an airplane.

Besides, it shouldn't have a big financial impact on airline companies anyway. After all, Canada isn't as fat as CaptKirby and Texas.

agreeing with vineon, as usual.

However, one thought comes to mind- it is a weight restrictive environment, should they at least be levvied some sort of tax? A plane filled with overweight people and luggage uses more fuel to get off the ground, after all.

I agree with the Supreme Court there.

As much as people want to believe it is easy for a motivated obese person to lose weight, they judge from the outside when clearly not in the position of one of those people and I don't think it is an easy feat.

If one seat isn't enough, they should get two for free. Someone in a wheelchair gets accomodated after all. Blind people get accomodated. Would accomodating obese people encourage people to stay fat? I don't think so because I doubt obese people enjoy being accomodated. I would feel pretty bad about myself if I actually needed to use 2 seats in an airplane.

Besides, it shouldn't have a big financial impact on airline companies anyway. After all, Canada isn't as fat as CaptKirby and Texas.
it doesn't matter whether it's easy or not, it's a mess you got yourself into.

what about alcoholics? if you're too drunk to sit up straight, should you be able to get two seats for the price of one so you can lay down?

well i'll admit i don't think i could ever get fat, so in the exact opposite way, i kinda see how difficult it can be for a fat person to lose weight. and i don't think it's entirely their fault all the time - sometimes its hereditary, some were well fed as children. anyways if a fat guy didnt want to pay for the 2 seats he probably needed, whoever sitting next to him is going to have a hell of a ride...it happens. and like vineon said it probably won't have a big financial impact on airline companies

wait this is firebot, ?_?

well i'll admit i don't think i could ever get fat, so in the exact opposite way, i kinda see how difficult it can be for a fat person to lose weight. and i don't think it's entirely their fault all the time - sometimes its hereditary, some were well fed as children. anyways if a fat guy didnt want to pay for the 2 seats he probably needed, whoever sitting next to him is going to have a hell of a ride...it happens. and like vineon said it probably won't have a big financial impact on airline companies

wait this is firebot, ?_?
Just wait until you pass 25 years old, then you'll understand what a bad metabolism and stress can do to a person.

Airline companies have it hard financially as it is, although to take advantage of people like this is going too far. Fat people don't pose a physical or emotional risk to another's well being like an alcoholic might, either.

Yeah Vineon, that is pretty absurd. It would be getting kind of messy, but once again if they had a genuine disease causing fatness (although I am sure people would try like hell to fake it), then they can have multiple seats. Otherwise, if someone is fat because of sheer laziness, then they sure as fuck should be paying for two seats. If I have to sit with a baby screaming in my ear or some old lady clawing my sides, then they sure as fuck better be paying for that extra seat, or I am being discriminated against.

Okay, I refined my argument while thinking in the shower.

The first reason that this is absurd is that it is entirely anathema to the idea of what buying and selling is. Discarding factors like 'omg I only like window seats' (because that is entirely fucking unimportant) or what the passenger you sit next to will be like (as one cannot control the latter at all), you are arguing that one person should pay for 1 unit of goods while another pays for 2 at the same price. If you had two people sitting in line, sold the first a bottle of wine for $50, then sold the latter two for $50, the first would be outraged if he saw. That is because it would be fucking insane.

Furthermore, the reason you are justifying this insanity is that lazy people should be favored over hard working ones or ones who lack self-control (in eating) should be favored over those who do have that self-control. While these are not always the case, a large majority of those who do not have diseases causing their obesity, because one must be vastly obese to require two seats over one, are insanely out of control in their eating, or insanely lazy, but most likely some combination of the two. While more people who are skinny may just have a better metabolism, a lot either work to have self-control or work out.

Finally, you are asking for this vast minority of people who are supremely lazy or out of control to be favored over the large majority of people who are, if not completely, mostly temper their practices. This is, then, of course discrimination against a majority in favor of a minority, which always has to be questioned. For a majority to be discriminated against, one must usually have the minority being repressed. In this case, the minority is not repressed - they are out of control or lazy, and, furthermore, the system itself is not repression, it is merely the natural nature of capitalism, that is that someone must pay for what they require.

CaptKirby, you're assuming that obesity is just the cause of someone sitting around and snacking, when there are also genetic factors and medical factors to consider. It's also rather hard to lose weight when you are morbidly obese (the stage of fatness you're at when you don't fit in a single seat). Lacking self-control when eating is often caused by a disease as well.

Maybe this analogy is a bit out of proportion, but couldn't that be used to justify a ban on gay marriage? "Why should we accomodate those that lack the self-control to marry the opposite gender?"

Also, I don't see why this is in Firebot. Is the only reason "lol fat people"?

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Fat CaptKirby,

I am the laziest person on the planet, yet I won't ever get fat.

Most people couldn't get morbidly obese. Most people could get fatter but not to the point of warranting 2 seats in an airplane. Only a select amount of individuals have "what it takes" to become this big and there definitely is more to it than simply being lazy.

It isn't exactly fair some people need to restrain themselves heavily not to be very fat while other people don't have to.

No, that is not anywhere near like the situation with the gays. The situation with the gays is not an argument about accommodating people, but rather an argument that 1) being gay is a sin 2) marriage should be religious (Christian lol) in meaning. 2 in fact necessitates that a majority of the world is not married under that definition, so it would be a minority opposing a majority in the grand scheme of matters, unless expanded to mean all religions. Even without that reality, comparing being fat - something that can almost always be helped and is a terrible way of life that mostly comes from a lack of self control - to someone freely loving whomever they desire is absurd in a way not malignant to society (as in not having public sex and shit, not that I am saying any form of private love or mild public displays are wrong). Your comparison is not a valid in any way.

I simply love how in current times, any actions or physical conditions can be rationalized as the results of genetic faulties in order to conveniently shift the blame to more favorable sources. It can really get ridiculous, can't it?

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
The first reason that this is absurd is that it is entirely anathema to the idea of what buying and selling is. Discarding factors like 'omg I only like window seats' (because that is entirely fucking unimportant) or what the passenger you sit next to will be like (as one cannot control the latter at all), you are arguing that one person should pay for 1 unit of goods while another pays for 2 at the same price. If you had two people sitting in line, sold the first a bottle of wine for $50, then sold the latter two for $50, the first would be outraged if he saw. That is because it would be fucking insane.
This is really all that needed to be said in this thread. Regardless of how anyone feels about obese people it is plain fact that they are practicing unfair selling policies, which like CK said end up being discriminatory against those that don't need two seats. This needs to be reversed asap, case closed.

deleted firebotty posts and moved this to its appropriate forum, i think that there's some interesting debate to be had here!

good mod glen

Obese individuals should always be given an extra seat, if needed.

BUT ONLY IF

that flight already has another open seat.

Booting someone out or denying them a seat even though they would pay for it because they already gave it to someone else for free would be like giving away the last Wii to someone who already got one, and denying the rest of the line any. It isn't fair.

But if there are seats available, then giving an extra seat to an obese individual is comparable to selling cookies, then giving the leftovers to your friends who already bought some. (sorry that was the best analogy i could come up with)

EDIT: firebot is maturing from a problem teenager to a informed, suave adult
EDIT 2: nevermind it got moved :P

What happens if another seat is available at the time, but they end up getting booked and someone misses out? But I don't think that's the point, because like I said earlier, it's rather unpleasant sitting next to a large individual.

I think discriminating is a bit harsh of a word, I don't feel like fat people are getting any deal for getting two seats, like with CK's example, yea I could have benefited from that better deal on wine, but at least I don't feel like I'm losing out on a better deal. What the hell am I going to do with an extra seat, put my feet on it? That wouldn't even be comfortable because I couldn't stretch out. My point is obese people are just getting the space they need, it's not like getting a better deal, because people who aren't obese don't need the extra space.

To go with all the points above, I would just like to ask a simple question.

If the person sitting next to you is morbidly obese, would you rather them sitting in one seat or two?

For me the answer is obvious. It's not going to raise my airfare, and I do not have to be squeezed in between the armrest and someone's excessive fat.

AJers

Your typical e-wench
I definitely think there should be an increased rate (like 1.5 times the price of a regular ticket), I don't think it's fair that someone can pay the price for one ticket and get two seats. With that being said... it's also not fair to expect them to squeeze into a chair/area that can't accomodate them, and it's not fair to other patrons, either.

On a side note, and I know it doesn't necessarily go here, but I've totally seen obese people who use those little motorized wheelchairs or who get the silly carts at the store that you can drive around on... and I have to admit that 90% of the time I feel utter disdain for them. Granted, there may be some medical reasoning behind an obese person using the electronic chairs, but most medical conditions that are restricting your ability to walk/stand for periods of time would be helped by losing some weight. IE: push the boundaries a bit and get up and walk.

If they can charge your luggage for being over the weight limit, why can't they charge your ass for being over a weight limit? Like I said, there must be some line drawn in a weight restrictive environment such as this.

Being overweight isn't some lifestyle choice you make, it's heavily influenced by genetics and metabolism. Even so, it's pretty hard to make excuses for being so fat you physically cannot ride in a plane without taking up the space of two human beings

Agreeing completely with CK. It's rather convenient for people to say they have genetic disorders and such. I bet most of these people with "genetic disorders" could lose some weight if they exercised a bit of self control.
If rules like this start popping up, we're just saying "it's ok to be fat and waste your life".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)