Favorite Comfort Foods?

As a desert, definitely cookie dough ice cream. As something savoury, I think ramen with a fried egg or something.

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
I definitely like chicken wings and pizza, that's for sure. Definitely comforting in my opinion. I also enjoy chocolate ice cream or chocolate chip cookies.

EV

Banned deucer.
For me comfort food is nostalgia, not really a remedy for stress, so I remember the meals/food that bring me back to my childhood.

Beef stew: perfect companion to a chilly fall day!
"Breakfast for dinner": pancakes, waffles, scrambled eggs, bacon - but only if it's for dinner.
Danish butter cookies: Christmas is near.

Canteloupe. And watermelon and honeydew. Oh my lord cantaloupe is delicious, Ima ask my mum to get some next grocery trip. We have like nothing good in the house rn so this was hard to think of at first.

e: Also, a hot bean burrito after a run is pretty good (I put it in the oven before a run, I take 25 minutes to go 2.4 miles so I have to only wait like ten minutes when I get home. Additionally coffee ice cream or thick chocolate cake does the trick for me if you're talkin' desserts (even better together!) Probably the best comfort food though that I haven't had in a long time is GREEK SOUP, OH MY LORD. The broth is made from like lemon, egg, and some other things, w/ a touch of salt and pepper, and then the ingredients are small pieces of chicken and plenty of rice, DELICIOUS i think ima ask my mum to get the ingredients for this too next grocery trip

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nam Gyo - a super spicy tomato and pork blood Thai soup with rice noodles. The Thai place near our office loads it sky high with shredded cabbage and I load it up with chili vinegar. Oh God, the most amazing thing for lunch after a weekend where the wife and I had an argument, and the perfect dish to smash the monotony of everything else in Japan just tasting like the same old kelp or bonito Dashi.

Kinda similar to Vietnamese pho-- another comfort food--a rich beef broth with rice noodle dish. Many friends from Hawaii/California call it the one dish they cannot continue living without-- and I understand the sentiment.

Pad Ki Mao-- super spicy wide wide noodle stir fry, another Thai dish. My college buddies and I always ordered this as the perfect 3am fix to a night of failure to get lucky. lol

Canton style Won Ton Min-- Always the first thing on the must eat list when arriving back in Hawaii. If I find myself in Hong Kong, I find myself eating 2.4 bowls of this a day on average.

Also Dim Sum, and frankly almost anything Cantonese constitutes as a comfort food for me, lol.

Peanut Butter and jelly sandwich never fails to cure a bout of Asia blues and reset an American expat's batteries

Pancit Bihon - a Filipino glass noodle dish where the essence of Chicken fish is captivated in the noodles through simmering them in broth and nam plar until the dish is dry. A squirt of Lemon Juice to top off this amazing Filipino fast food.

Shoyu Ramen would be high on the list if I wasn't living in Japan. Call me a sucker for soul foods, but the most traditional form of a simple straight-forward pork and shoyu broth with ramen noodles and menma bamboo shoots-- magically nostalgic, will put me in my happy place.

Love me some pasta of all varieties. Mac and cheese with chilli flakes, oregano and olive oil makes an amazing comfort food.

Japanese Spaghetti would also be a must on this list except that again... Living in Japan. A lot of Japanese dishes would be that way for me if I didn't live hear. In Hawaii, I grew up with Japanese food making up 40% of my diet, so it can get uncomfortable when it becomes 90%+ of my diet.

If I'm in Japan, I only have Chinese food on the brain. When I was in China, all I could think about was Japanese food. Such is the fate of someone from a mixed heritage. lol

Oh and of course the ultimate breakfast-- corn beef hash, eggs, and Rice, easy over on the eggs with ketchup and Tobasco! Though growing up, I thought this was a white person's food, not knowing that these delicious patties made with corn beef and mochiko before being fried with shoyu in fact find their origin on the shelves of Hawaii Okazu-ya, making them part of the Plantation Era Japanese food culture, my own culture! Thank you Wikipedia lol

Last edited:
a big bag of original chips (pref kettle or red rock). Number two would probably be popcorn, pref salted. Yes, I feast on your salt pokemon players

Depending on how sad I am about a situation, I'll usually eat a sugary cereal or a big ol' scoop vanilla ice cream with a few Oreos along side it. Both of them remind me of being a child before said situation has happened. They both can also be eaten at any time of the day imo

Cotton candy ice cream, soft pretzels, trader joes dill pickle popcorn, and okonomiyaki really any japanese food

Last edited:
Vietnamese Com Dia (Rice Plate) with sunny-side up egg, vegetables, grilled pork chop, shredded pork, served with a side of chicken broth and fish sauce. I could kill for some right now...

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
When I'm stressed I normally gravitate towards beverages (pop/tea/coffee etc.) But if the situation calls for it I'll break out the hummus and crackers.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ah man almost anything involving sweet beans are my comfort food of choice. There are two that I would have a very hard time choosing from so ill mention both. First is a latin desert called habichuela con dulce which translates to sweet cream of beans. Its something your technically only supposed to eat during a certain time of year but I eat it year round. Its quite delicious and you should give it a try sometime. I dont eat it as often as id like to due to its long cooking time and need of a bunch of ingredients I usually dont have in the house.

The other one are sesame balls which is sweet bean paste inside of a chewy dough covered in sesame seeds which is fried afterwards. Theres a buffet near me that I only go to because they carry these. Constantly grub on a few every time I get a new plate. A bit of a hassle to make myself though..

A warm dessert like a warm Apple Pie or Brownie
Tres Leches is amazing

For non desserts, a plate of Chicken and Spanish Rice was my entire childhood, so eating that always puts me in a better mood. A good tea is always great too.

I like me some macaroni and cheese, chicken fingers and pizza with extra sauce. For dessert I'll grab a death by chocolate cake.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
One of the things about Australia that I miss now that I'm back home:

fx

moon tourism
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
at work we have this new pumpkin pie blizzard so whenever im having a bad day at work ill just get one of those w oreo added in
at home i just eat top ramen because 99% of the time that all we have

Chicken fried steak, biscuits and gravy, salisbury steak with mushroom and onion gravy, mac and cheese, strawberry milk, and shamelessly eating a spoonful of peanut butter straight out of the jar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)