Project Favorite Sets of USUM Monotype

Approved by some nice people
Favorite Sets Thread

While we wait for Sword and Shield to come out, why not share some of your favorite sets this generation! Perhaps it was something you found incredible strong, or something cool and unique, or simply something that gave you a good laugh.

Do include a description of what the set aims to do in your post, and replays with the set in action would be awesome. Feel free to post multiple sets, but don't go too wild. :)

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Toxic Spikes + Toxic Toxapex (Water)
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Toxic
While this set has faded usage wise, it still remains as one of my favourite sets to use because of the fact that how annoying it is as a status spreader and to wear down teams. Toxic Spikes in general is so good and straight up tilts match up against type like Normal. Toxic on the other hand allows Toxapex to catch Pokemon it normally cannot do anything against like Hydreigon, Latios, and Rotom-W. I used this set on teams with teammates like Suicune and Mega Slowbro that appreciated their checks being taken down or put on a timer for late game set up.

Offensive Deoxys S
Deoxys-Speed @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot / Energy ball
Offensive Deoxys S set is something that has become quite common recently however I've used this set on my teams before it gained more usage and the reason why it is one of my favourite set is because how surprising and unexpected set it was. Gaining kills against unsuspecting opponents. The coverage can be what you want based on your team. I have even used Rock Slide variants for Volcarona.

Choice Scarf + Stealth Rock Krookodile (Dark)
Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Stealth Rock
I am a fan of hyper offense teams and Dark has a pretty good HO archetype. This set comprises two roles one that is speed control and the other being a Stealth Rock setter. Using this set has allowed me to use more offensive variants of set for Greninja and Hydreigon to secure match ups against types like Water, Flying and Steel. Superpower on Krookodile is used to revenge KO Mega Tyranitar. I have Intimidate as the ability because it is handy on HO teams where there is almost no defensive back bone.

Will post more sets when on laptop :psyglad:

Floss

never forgotten
is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributor
Monotype Leader
download (10).jpeg

Gastrodon @ Leftovers (Water)
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 52 SpA / 208 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Sludge Wave
- Toxic

Towards the end of the gen, I had started experimenting more with Water teams involving Gastrodon. An advantage was having reliable recovery, therefore improving the Electric MU, while taking less damage from Grass Knot without necessitating Rindo Berry. Leftovers and the EV spread allow it to switch into M-Diancie and Landorus-I most of the time, calcs below:-

252 SpA Diancie-Mega Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 208+ SpD Gastrodon: 154-183 (36.2 - 43%) -- 97.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 208+ SpD Gastrodon: 195-230 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

However, I had issues against prevalent Fairy teams, which led me to adding Sludge Wave on Gastro and adjusting its EV spread in order to OHKO Tapu Bulu. This leads to Gastrodon having very few good switchins on Fairy, which usually leads to Klefki being chipped (always nice!).

52 SpA Gastrodon Sludge Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 284-336 (100.7 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

download (11).jpeg

Greninja @ Grassium Z (Dark)
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Extrasensory
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Not going to take credit for this set, but I just cannot do without it nowadays on Dark teams. In my opinion, it's Dark's most reliable way to deal with one of the metagame's more relevant types in Water, while the coverage enables it to cover Ground, Flying, and Grass teams as well. Grassium Z enables Gren to deal with Rotom-Wash, a mon that counters the Waterkiller Gren set which ran Grass Knot + HP Electric. Mantine's significant drop in usage enables the Gren to run Extrasensory over HP Electric. Extrasensory still hits Pex for supereffective damage, while also threatening Venusaur-M on Grass teams. This opens up HP Fire, which still hits Celesteela for SE damage while hitting Ferrothorn and M-Scizor for x4 effective damage unlike HP Elec. Ice Beam is a standard coverage move for Gren which dovetails well with HP Fire to deal supereffective damage to Flying types, with the exception of Mantine.
PS - Empoleon poses an annoyance to this Gren set, but Grassium does a hefty chunk if its the team's defogger in place of Rotom.
252 SpA Protean Greninja Bloom Doom (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 159-187 (42.7 - 50.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

download (12).jpeg

Cobalion @ Iapapa Berry (Fighting)
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 56 SpD / 120 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- Metal Burst

Finally, this set. I used it mainly on my fun Fighting team when I'm chilling in battles w/ frens. The EVs enable it to take a Thunderbolt from Specs Tapu Koko, and OHKO in return with Metal Burst. The speed EVs are used to creep Gliscor, and it can 2HKO Gliscor switching in with HP Ice, provided rocks are up. Volt Switch lets it act as a bulky pivot, a rare luxury for Fighting teams, and Iapapa gives it some semblance of sustainability for pivoting constantly into mons, mainly LO Mimikyu. A disadvantage of this set is running Rocks on another member of the team (I use Kommo-O for 'em, inspired by Haaku). A few calcs for the set:-
252 SpA Pidgeot-Mega Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 56 SpD Cobalion: 260-306 (67.3 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 56 SpD Cobalion in Electric Terrain: 324-382 (83.9 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Magnet Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 56 SpD Cobalion in Electric Terrain: 261-307 (67.6 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Diancie-Mega Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 56 SpD Cobalion: 222-262 (56.9 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Cobalion: 113-134 (29.2 - 34.7%) -- 7.8% chance to 3HKO

252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Cobalion: 242-288 (62.6 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Tornadus-Therian Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 56 SpD Cobalion: 327-385 (84.7 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Superpower vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Cobalion: 302-356 (78.2 - 92.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

DYA

not a weeb
is a Community Contributor

Substitute CM Keldeo
Lancelot (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

:keldeo: Keldeo Sub CM is my favourite mon in Water overall, lovely set that helps in MU like Normal and Steel, I tried to use sets like Waterium Z or Specs and didn't liked it at all. Sadly thing is that Toxapex and the more unusual Mantine counters it their typing + Haze. I have use once a Taunt set but didn't liked it neither.

Frustration Mega Pinsir
Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

:pinsir: My only reason to use Bug, this thing is just dumb with one SD up. Pinsir is a fearsome wallbreaker that can threaten types like Water that can't control it at all. Frustration over Return has gave me some games where Ditto's Frustration did nothing.

Substitute Mega Sharpedo
Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Substitute
- Psychic Fangs

:sharpedo: Sub Mega Sharpedo is pretty fun to use, it sweeps very easily if you doesn’t play properly. Sadly it uses Ice Fang and it fails to 1HKO things like Landorus-T or Gliscor.

Bulky Defog Mega Altaria
Wait, why am here (Altaria-Mega) (F) @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Body Slam
- Defog
- Heal Bell

:altaria: This bulky Mega Altaria set is heat, it can resist one Gunk Shot and one Ice Beam (I think 2 at full hp) from Greninja. And it’s a more reliable defogger than Scarf Latios. Very fun to use, help's a lot in mirror Dragon MU and I sometimes get Body Slam paralyze.

Ice Beam + Energy Ball Latios Scarf
Bruh (Latios) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Energy Ball
- Psychic

:latios: I love this Latios coverage, it helps a lot in MU like Water and Flying, one of my favourite things is outspeeding Mega Swampert in Rain and 1HKO him. I have tried HP Steel and Defog but you already lose to Fairy so no sense at all for me to lose MU vs others type. And Defog isn't my favourite move for Scarfers, and that's the reason why I run that Bulky Mega Altaria set.

whimsi.gif

Knock off Whimsicott (AKA the Savior of gen 7 grass)
uwu (Whimsicott) (F) @ Fairium Z /normalium Z/Pixie Plate
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Knock Off
- Moonblast
- tailwind/nature power/u-turn/stun spore

The True Savior of Grass this gen, rising from the belly of C rank to become a staple on most grass teams. While grass was preoccupied with another grass/fairy for a lot of gen 7, Whims slowly worked her way up with her mighty moonblast, tricky utility, and her unique ability to take on set up sweepers and berry muk, with encore and knock off (the bane of existence for many grass teams), to see great representation both in ladder and tournament play. As whims has risen in usage, so has grass.

Ninetales-Alola @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Moonblast
- Freeze-Dry
- Grudge

My (not so secret anymore) Ice tech, this set has gotten me out of so many jams it's unreal. Scarf turns Tales into a very fast late game sweeper, with powerful dual stabs and Freeze-Dry for Waters. Grudge is to force choiced mons into using Struggle after you get KOed, letting Cloyster set up freely or Weavile Pursuit trapping. You can even use it on non choiced mons like Mega-Gallade with Close Combat if your read is on point, removing their (usually) best attack.

Last edited:
nothing super original just posting sets I had fun with

1572894007567.png

Fluffy (Altaria) (F) @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 Spe
Impish Nature
- Frustration
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Refresh

I think you need +2 to outspeed scarf Gren but generally does the job. Only thing is that is useless against steel.

1572894028312.png

Yanmega @ Metronome
EVs: 20 Def / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

Fun cleaner against Grass, Ghost and Fighting if used right. You can even beat Pex if you get flinches or if you get enough Giga Drains going

1572894042999.png

Megyn Kelly (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SpD / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Roost

This thing is SOOO good. Is standard but man I love it.

Since Im late to the party.... thought I would add my favorite set I made this gen...

th.jpg

Deoxys-Defense @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
- Counter
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
- Seismic Toss

This is my personally favorite set to use just because its an underused mon. Counter has the ability to instantly ohko unsuspecting Muk Alolas, which makes poison matchups a cinch, its also good for countering psychic pretty well in my experience, able to net some counter hits of Uturn Tinis, seismic toss can threaten Rock polish genesis supernova mews, and magic coat can piss off the most common Deoxys speed set as most users taunt turn one on DD.

Its also a lot of fun to piss off low ranked users with magic coat when they don't understand how pressure works

I actually have quite a few sets that I'll share:

(Latios) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor
- Energy Ball
- Psyshock

One of my favorite teams of all time was back in gen 6 spamming pokemon like Mega Medicham + Specs Hoopa/Mega Gardevoir + Band Hoopa, basically breakers that break for each other. This set does something similar in Gen 7 with Banded Victini, and on top of that with Healing Wish Support with scarf Latias. What's interesting about this set as well is that no move you click vs Water gives Mega Sharpedo a free Substitute.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-972383764-5w6bkfapxb7owshut4k62egepntrrgjpw

Cobalion @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 48 SpD / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Flash Cannon
- Block / Stealth Rock
- Rest

Next, we have this awful Fairy c-team set. I believed at the time of using this that it was a savior of sorts for fighting since it absolutely annihilates Dragon/Dark and gives you a wincon vs Fairy. I even made a team pairing it with a similarly awful screens virizion set that has never done anything in tours, but people thought was good :psyduck:. Funnily enough this set obliterated balto in hilarious fashion in a team tour (though if I ran more speed at that time it would've 6-0ed). Can't recall which one but if you wanna watch it in action here ya go.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-880843398

Virizion @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Taunt
- Reflect
- Light Screen

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock / Flamethrower
- Taunt
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat

Gallade-Mega (M) @ Galladite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Shadow Sneak

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Cobalion @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 48 SpD / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Flash Cannon
- Block / Stealth Rock
- Rest

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Salamence @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Earthquake

Last, but not least, we have my boi. I was big on this man after watching blunder use it in a live. I'm still big on him, all you need to do is pair it with pokemon that deal with steel types like celesteela and ferrothorn, and he'll put in some nasty work in the end game. Also, sub is hella borked in this tier.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-935053478

Salamence @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Fly

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Superpower

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Defog

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 20 Def / 68 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Roost

Last edited:

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Most of my sets are from the current metagame since I only learned how to build correctly later when USM stabilized. But anyways, here are some sets I've liked particularly in this generation, thank you Tapo Collino for hosting this.

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Blast
- Close Combat
- Substitute / Earthquake

Pretty much my favorite Bug mega to build around although it’s useless on Fighting. Really strong wallbreaker that excels at breaking down defensive cores and balance types like Dark, Normal, Steel, and Water. Substitute lets you break past Mega Sableye Dark super easily and takes advantage of switches and Protect users like Celesteela while Earthquake is good for beating Toxapex after a Swords Dance. Overall a lot of people run Z-Psychic Volcarona along with Mega Heracross seeing as Steel is less of an issue to have a better matchup against Toxapex so not having Earthquake is very doable. Mega Heracross’s suprise factor can also be cool for punching holes in walls like Staraptor and Mandibuzz if the opponent somehow thinks you’re Mega Scizor, overall an underrated option on Bug teams that I’ve been a fan of ever since it’s dropped. Here's a replay of it ripping apart Normal.

Greninja @ Grassium Z
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Ice Beam

I mainly use this on Dark because Toxapex exists on Water, though I still think Z-Grass Knot Greninja is nice on Water for the mirror. Toxic Spikes completely skews types like Fairy and Normal, while it can also put in work against things like Electric, Dragon, and Psychic, especially when you beat pretty much all Defog users with your coverage. Grassium Z beats Rotom-W that has been rather popular on Water as of recently, which stops Expert Belt Greninja from putting in much work, and softens up the otherwise hard Water matchup for Dark. Overall Greninja is a ridiculous Pokemon in Monotype, and this is only one of the good sets it can run.

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Taunt
- Drain Punch
- Flamethrower

Pretty much the standard set that has caught up in the current metagame as Kommo-os most used and best as Taunt is great for breaking down defensive Pokemon. Kommo-o's custom Z-Move turned itself into a deadly sweeper every type bar Fairy has to fear and play carefully around, finding itself an important place on both Dragon and Fighting teams. Soundproof is good against opposing Kommo-o and Ditto, and Drain Punch has caught on over Close Combat since it gives Kommo-o healing and makes it harder to revenge kill. I've pretty much been putting this Pokemon on every Dragon team with good amounts of success although I haven't been building much Dragon lately, so this is definitely one of my favorite sets to use in USM.

So I've been having a lot of fun with my garbage bug stall team and two of the surprising mvps have been buzzwole and araquanid,

not a spider (Araquanid) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Soak
- Toxic
- Spider Web
- Rest

This mon is a great check to many of the fire types in the meta that absolutely ruin most bug teams, (zard 4HKOs it) and as my team doesn't have anything to revenge them like scarf cross or mega pinsir this is kinda my answer for them. It's also a fantastic wallbreaker, able to completely shut down walls that usually cause bug some grief, like toxapex. However, any set has its drawbacks and this is completely shut down by pokemon with taunt, which is very sad. Soak is also a great move, not just for allowing me to poison steel and poison types but to also weaken stab attacks from things like celesteela and celebrate victini to allow something else to revenge kill it if araq can't. And the most important part of this is that spider web has more pp than block so it can outstall pyukumuku, the most threatening mon in existence. Also this mon is a great compantion to the GOAT wormadam-sandy as other than flying their resistances complement each other quite well.

shit heracross (Buzzwole) @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 232 SpD / 28 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Roost

This thing just sets up on so many physical attackers it's insane. It can beat stuff like bounce gyara if you burn their z move or choice band diggersby, this set is faster than things that speedcreep adamant azumarill like mandibuzz and its sub only gets 2hkod by foul play. Its special bulk isn't great but has about a 50% chance to live a Diancie moonblast which is something I guess. Drain punch and leech life are interchangable, and roost I guess, but I found dp too be slightly better for at least somewhat dealing with steel types that I couldn't at all with my team however this means that ghost types and especially msab completely wall it. It's slower than tran though so that kinda just beats my team if it has taunt but like, who even uses that. Like with any bulk up/calm mind/curse sweeper, buzzwole can be hell to stop once it gets going, especially for teams without reliable special attackers.

This isn't the best game but is an example of how both araq with soak and buzzwole work in taking down a team, he kinda won if he kept fini alive though tbh.

This game shows that buzz can kinda set up on celesteela, and once it is at +1 defence then neither scizor, exca or ferro could stop it

So here's my own pet favourite this gen:

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Roar​

This cute set is basically a worse curse Steelix that has rocks. Rocks can sometimes be kinda awkward to fit on sandless ground because of all the things everything wants to do, so this set is a nice alternative. It still can check most of the stuff curse Steelix checks like Bulu, but is a lot less reliable due to the lack of recovery. Its strong STABs actually allow it to force out quite a lot so it gets rocks up pretty easily. I pretty much religiously use curse Steelix on ground now but this set carried me through a lot before figuring out how ridiculous curse is.

omg theres so much amazing fanart of mega steelix

I would like to share two sets I built and had a lot of fun using them. I'll also be sharing a third set, however it is more of a staple/remarkable set than a creation of mine.

Salazzle (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Corrosion
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This was a tour tech I ended up using on MLT and while it might not seem to be that effective on paper, it can take advantage of its decent 117 speed to outspeed every other scarfer w/ lower value. This can be particularly useful against weakened targets throughout the game (especially considering Poison's damage dishing, balance playstyle), since Salazzle has a decent 111 Spatk and Fire Blast going for it. Furthermore, it is still able to make a decent use of Toxic against defensive threats, which helps bluffing the set a lot in the early stages of the game while still making good use of its Corrosion ability.

Additional information can be found on the replay it was utilized (turn 9). I know I ended up losing the tour series but it gave me some nice laughs to see it working in practice.

Coming next it is more of a meme that surprisingly worked well on a Ghost vs Dragon matchup. Ladies and gentlemen, witness the legendary Aurora Veil Froslass set:

Froslass (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Hail
- Aurora Veil
- Spikes
- Ice Beam

More of a fun base set idea that I had for a specific tour match/set, but was too ashamed to display. It is particularly useful against the Dragon matchup, as a well as a providing a source of Spikes without necessarily focusing on being a suicide lead. Since it has reasonable offensive presence with Ice Beam and 110 base speed, certain Pokemon hesitate on staying in (Garchomp is an example, also applies to defensive Pokemon in general since they fear Taunt), which's where the combination of Hail and Aurora Veil comes in. That way, more offensive Pokemon can take advantage of the protection or even pressurize your opponent on bringing their defogger constantly, as it is displayed here. Additionally you can see Marowak taking an Earth Power from LO Kyurem-Black (barely), allowing it to revenge kill and bring the Pokemon down with it (turn 15).

Decidueye @ Decidium Z
Ability: Long Reach
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spirit Shackle
- Shadow Sneak
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance

Finally, but not least, I would like to share a remarkable Pokemon that has been very impactful in my playing field/experience, especially because it wasn't really that utilized in the earlier Gen 7 Grass days but managed to become a force to reckoned with as metagame shifted and progressed. A lot of Grass teams adapted on having this Pokemon (myself included), thanks to its strong Ghost STAB move Spirit Shackle, access to priority, Swords Dance, U-turn, Leaf Blade, etc. It helps enormously in the Psychic matchup and is also very useful to break through certain problematic defensive Pokemon like Celesteela and Toxapex. Also good for late game cleaning w/ Shadow Sneak.

Decidueye has managed to become one of the most underrated Pokemon in the current metagame especially because of the forementioned traits and also the ability to spinblock, which is very useful on matchups like Bug and Steel for example. Thanks to it, it can ensure Stealth Rock stays in vs spinners and further increase the amount of pressure you set on a game. Latter on we saw how common this Pokemon became on tournaments (MLT, MPL, seasonals, etc), as you can see on the replays below.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-984288582 (MLT round 3, in this replay you can see Decidueye being used to incredibly high standards and dishing out a lot of damage in Grass vs Steel matchup. Really well played by Clearly).

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-951655375 (MPL week 5. Catalystic does get a crit in turn 52, but the point of putting Toxapex in a tough spot remains. Overall you can see it is a very impactful pokemon in that matchup, although celebi also helped a lot too.)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-980452510 (MLT round 2, Decidueye wasnt that appealing but did its late game cleaning job, pretty important to take that tornadus-t and celesteela later on. s/o winemom for playing it well on the Grass v Flying matchup.)

Looking forward, I also expect this Pokemon to be a staple on Gen 8 Grass, especially now that a lot of old problematic checks are gone and that Ghost is expected to rise in usage with its new toys.

Can as well post some funny sets I used:

Hawlucha @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Acrobatics
- Endeavor
- Defog
- Taunt
So hazards, specially Sticky Webs were a big problem for fighting, with the only hazard remover being Hawlucha. So then like I didnt like the Sword Dance + Sky Attack set which was posted on the Dex analysis, since Kommo-o alone already beats most grasses and bugs, I did this odd endeavor set ala Lead Infernape (I dont run Infernape myself, like Floss I use stealth rocks Kommo-o too). Anyways, this set beats most galvantula / tapu koko leads which fightings have problems with, and it can get 1 kill and get another pokemon lowered to 1 HP if you are lucky. Plus if you are able to preserve the sash, it can work like a lifesaver again some scary setup sweepers. So yeah funny set, but gets the job done.

Tentacruel @ Air Balloon
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Rapid Spin
So like a ground main, I finished with realize Crobat on monopoison was laughable like a ground immunity, since it don't put any pressure on the ground mons its supposed to check. Then searching for other hazard control mon I got Tentacruel and was lit for that matchup specially with the air balloon, plus it retains hazard control. Just be wary this is a hit and run mon, while tanking hits is left to the fat duo Megasaur/Toxapex. I normally run this coupled with Buginium-Z Scolipede, since you always need a Mega Gallade check.

Tentacruel @ Air Balloon
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Rapid Spin

Scolipede @ Buginium Z
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail / Substitute
- Swords Dance

forretress.gif

Forretress @ Red Card
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball

The absolute heart and soul of any bug team I've made. I couldn't ask for a better lead, rapid spin, pivot move, sturdy, stealth rocks, it just checks all the boxes. It even has the guaranteed red card proc (with the exception of knock off) to prevent people from even setting up on it. If only it was in Sword & Shield

Holy Hecc I'm totally late to this party, but let's go. juleocesar already shared a Decidueye set, but I'll share one that Acey - Danse Macabre and I brainstormed together.

Pluck Decidueye:
:decidueye:

Robin Hood (Decidueye) (M) @ Decidium Z
Ability: Long Reach
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spirit Shackle
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Pluck​

The speed allows you to outspeed -1 base 100s (aka Choice Band Victini after a V-Create) and the health allows you to survive a few things are pretty cool, like Mega Gallade's Knock Off and Kommo-o's Clangorous Soulblaze. Pluck is something I started to use to eat Alolan Muk's berry, because I was not running Whimsicott on my team. It's pretty hilarious when it works, but once they know about it they are a lot more wary. Other than that, it basically does what Juleo said it does, read his post for details!

Surprised this wasn't mentioned yet, the late Gen goat of Ground:

Steelix @ Steelixite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Not only did it end up tanking damage well enough but it could solo so many harder MUs for Ground.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)