Featured Doubles Player of the Week #5: Pwnemon

Hello everyone, welcome to another Smogon Doubles Player of the when I feel like it Week! This project is for newer people to be more acquainted with some of the most knowledgeable players of Doubles.

Featured Player: Pwnemon
Most Known For: Raging on IRC, being racially ambiguous
Signature Pokemon: Scizor, Offensive Cresselia, CB Kyurem-B​

For the fifth week, I'm interviewing... Pwnemon. A highly vocal user and one of the founding members of the Doubles Council, Pwnemon is a good teambuilder and player, being "undefeated" in SPL. He's also a Doubles subforum mod.

Tell me a little about yourself:
I'm a sixteen year old high school senior going to UMD next year to major in Engineering. When I'm not playing Pokemon, I'm probably doing schoolwork or running—I've been on my school's xc/track teams for four years, and I'm number one in my class. I also love the outdoors, especially backpacking and rock climbing; I earned my eagle scout when I was fourteen and yes, despite all that, I still couldn't do better than state school.

Why did you join the doubles community, and what was the first team you made?
I don't even remember what sparked it anymore, but there was a discussion in #cap where I mentioned something about "a Doubles metagame" and (this is back when dtc still ran OM) Dildo Tester Chris said that Pocket was trying to start up his own doubles meta. Intrigued I joined #doubles; this was back when probably ten people had the chan on ajoin and the only way to play was to challenge people to Doubles Custom Games. I made some bullshit team, played some people, and was instantly hooked.

Said team was Politoed / Ludicolo / Rotom-W / Kyurem-B / Scizor / Conkeldurr with the six worst sets ever. It was hilariously bad, tbh—surf+absorb bulb, toxic orb gutseldurr, and u-turn scizor. Over time, this evolved into what all the Gen V throwback homies know as Team Whitewater, which managed to take me to finals in the recent BW tour before being crit and outplayed to death by Fagtron.

What major contributions to the progression of the doubles tier have you made?
Having joined the community so yung, i've been there for basically every major milestone in our growth into something legitimate. Getting Zarel to put up a (fantastically bad) Doubles ladder on like January 12; monitoring our ladder's stats as we passed LC and having "BEAT RU" in the channel topic; freaking the fuck out when people would post "can doubles be official?" because we were afraid of pissing off the Senior Staff; getting our chance when Smogon crashed and Joim got promoted to Admin to finally be an official tier come XY (thank god we got a forum at this point, instead of just a single discussion thread in OM); spending my thanksgiving break watching the thread on the SPL format and spending the next three days doing literally nothing except debating doubles for SPL; freaking the fuck out when jake timered randy and jumping for joy at the crowd reactions to laga vs arctic. This is only a snapshot. If you weren't there for it all, you probably never realized it, but every day in Doubles was a struggle for recognition and legitimacy. I may not have had a large part in most of these events (I didn't get IS access until october) but I think being the most active user ever in doubles and always pushing to advance our status is my biggest contribution to the tier. It's no small part of why I play so much; I want so badly to see this tier succeed. So right now I'd like to give a shoutout to everyone who was there to help us back when we really couldn't tell our asses from holes in the ground—Zach, Mizuhime, kingofmars, lucariojr, anyone I'm forgetting—you guys were crucial in saving us from our own shitty selves, and I'll never forget that.

If you were looking for some formulaic answer: I was a founding member of the doubles qc team, founding member of the doubles council, got doubles moderator in dec 2013, all of my badges are from doubles work.

What are some of your favorite elements of the Doubles metagame?
Well for one, I love how balanced it is. Despite how much some OU players love to bitch about GameFreak sucking at balance, they just need to realize they've been playing the wrong format since 2007 and everything will fall into place :). I understand and appreciate the endgame management skill required to play OU, but it's more than made up for with the extra options per turn making for a richer game that's less decided by team preview and is more thrilling from start to finish.

What is one thing about the current rules (banlist, metagame structure) that you would want to change?
The only part of the rules I want to change is that you're not allowed to bitch about mega kangaskhan B). I also would have preferred that we start with Kyurem and Cube banned and test him in for both consistency and fairness purposes. I made a post about this a while ago; it's nonsensical that our otherwise orderly 601+ banlist (excluding megas) should have a grandfathered in exception for the Kyurems simply because we borrowed our original banlist from OU—but odds are he would have dropped, and I don't think he's unhealthy, so all's well that ends well.

What are some Doubles players you think are good examples for newer users to look up to?
Me obv B). The biggest one in my opinion is lucariojr. He may not be the best doubles player I've ever met, and he sadly hasn't had the time to learn Gen VI Postbank, but he has this special talent for really understanding things and beyond that being able to explain them concisely that I've always admired and tried to emulate. Every post of his I read, I feel like it makes me a better player—easily the user most deserving CC doubles has ever given out. Additionally, he has one of the best attitudes I think I've ever seen. Another user like this is Zach but he has a penchant for shitposting so if you want to ever learn from him you're best off catching him on irc. Still, I basically wholly credit the advice from these two for making me the player I am today.

What do you think is the most successful Pokemon, core, and strategy in the current meta?
Most successful Pokemon: probably Landorus-T. Must I even explain? Its great typing, ability, movepool, and Attack make it fit on every goddamn team so easy that it's hard to resist using. Obviously there's a metric fuckton of great Pokemon though so I could never list a top 5, but Landorus sticks out above the rest to me from sheer usability. Best core: doubles teams aren't (or don't have to be) built around cores. I frankly hate this notion. I've built around pairs and I've built around single Pokemon and even more esoteric starting points (build a full TR team to ct zach, for example) and all can be successful. I will say that cores which support powerful Substitute users are usually very strong. I'm even more upset about the idea of "strategies." Zach harps on this all the time, but like I said, I learned everything from him: don't build your team to do a "strategy," ever. If you find it to be leaning a certain way once it's assembled, then make moves in editing which will make it play more efficiently. But never start out by going "I'm going to build TR today" or "let's make a rain team," and similarly don't get caught in a fixed mindset as to your endgame while playing; be able to adjust your plan fluidly. If your team with a TR option needs to play the entire game outside of TR to win, do it. Don't get caught up in playing TR.

Can you give some advice to new doubles players?
1) Test test test. This is actually my biggest complaint with my own play; i'm not as active with my testing as I used to be. Once upon a time I was switching a team slot from Conkeldurr to Blissey to Celebi to Terrakion to Infernape to Archeops to Hitmontop; I was trying Rain Dance toed and Encore toed and yea fucking Hidden Power Fire toed. Never be complacent with your team's build. After every battle ask "what gave me trouble here? What was inefficient?" After every five look over that list and go "Is there anything I can change or try to patch that hole without making the team as a whole worse?" Don't shy away from drastic changes, they can always be reverted. Nothing is worse to yourself as a player than stagnation.

2) Be fluid. Every turn, reevaluate your standing; think about what your opponent needs to do to win and what you need to do to win. Never throw away a dirty, messy win for a chance at a clean lategame sweep if the route to the dirty messy win is open. Don't fixate on a single endgame plan if it's not working out; dump it and make a new end-game plan. Prediction is a myth; the hardest thing in Pokemon is to dig yourself from a ditch so don't get in a ditch; keep yourself safe by not risking things to "prediction" unless you have to because you're losing.

3) Take advice. If I'm (or some other known player is) telling you something, it's probably for your own benefit. Swallow your pride and listen.

There are obviously other meta-specific pieces of advice I could give, but these are the three universally applicable rules of Pokemon which every player ever should follow, and which should eventually make you a good player.

What strategies do you dislike playing against?
I can't say I particularly hate facing any one strategy. The closest I can come to answering this question is that I fucking despise gimmicky ladder strategies as I'm sure anyone who is ever on IRC can confirm. Thank god for Shake's team being able to roll the lower ladder until I reach the point where I can be reasonably assured of facing decent players.

Can you provide a sample team with explanation on how to use for new players?:

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 180 Spd / 252 Atk / 76 HP
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 76 Spd / 16 Def / 252 HP / 164 SAtk
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Protect

Cresselia (F) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 1 Spd / 1 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 180 Def / 252 HP / 76 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spd
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Protect
- Spore

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 120 SAtk / 136 SDef / 252 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 164 HP / 92 Spd / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Protect

This is the most current rendition of my favorite Gen VI Doubles team. There's not too much to say about how to use it as it's a very no-gimmicks team; just don't lose I guess. Cress + Amoonguss with Heatran and Rotom-W provide a functional Trick Room option but the team was not designed to use TR every time. One word of wisdom is that i'd be cautious of sitting on Rotom-W because he tends to work best early-game so don't be afraid of getting him hurt unless you know he needs to take some specific hit.

Editor's Note:
So, thats the 5th Doubles Player of the Week! Feel free to PM me who you think should be the next Player of the Week, and thanks for tuning in to Smogon Doubles Player of the Week!

Also: Please try to keep the comments on the player positive :].

Last edited:

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Also: Please try to keep the comments on the player positive :].
I believe that Pwnemon is terrible at battling great at using his one team. On the battlefield, he is a very consistently horrible player, who makes very unnecessary game-changing and unsafe solid overpredictions. Pwnemon is definitely the most garbdix undefeated player in SPL, which I think is laughable because he only played one game very impressive.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tell me a little about yourself:
I'm a sixteen year old high school senior going to UMD next year to major in Engineering.
o.o no rly wait but

Despite all the bad rap he's gotten in the past, Pwnemon is a really great user. If you come to him with that judgmental sort of mind set, he will quickly prove you wrong (he'll also make sure you know that ur a lil bitch in the process.) He is knowledgable and passionate about the tier, and a great mod! Plus he's really great at battling; there's a lot one can learn from the guy.

(Just be careful because he can be reeeeeeaaaaaally sassy)

:]

Pwnemod is ok.

Inb4 post deleted.

No but really, Pwnemon is a great user, even if our matches always end with me getting some kind if amazing luck and him rage quitting with 3 mons left on his team. We started Doubles right around the same time and got recognized as a good user while I was off shitposting. He got into SPL too, so he's definitely gotten noticed, which is a good thing. He's worked damn hard to help us get official, and he deserves any accolades he has received.

And no, I have no grudge with him.

Last edited:

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If pwne haxes anyone ln the ladder you know you're unlucky, his hax to getting haxed ratio is like 1:20. Cool guy tho, is good player, enjoyed this read (altho any idea that I am not the most deserving of cc is false, I'm amazing).

Yeah you're really unlucky to be haxed by pwne.

But really tho pwne don't you have any other teams to share you rmt'd this one like 4 months ago...

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Finally had a chance to read this interview - one of the best Featured Dubs Player thus far! Thank you for your thought provoking responses, Pwnemon ^_^

I am always amazed by your devotion to this tier - if I need somebody to advocate Doubles, I can always count on you. I am proud to have you represent / lead / mentor people in Doubles. Thanks for all of your contributions to this tier! Doubles would certainly not be the same without you xP. Keep up the good work ;)

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I remember the first time I met pwnemon on irc or ladder or wherever. I didn't realize they had resurrected hitler. nah jk. Pwne has always been there to help me test and give great mons advice. pwne is p chill :].

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I know Pwnemon better than most here because of our history in CAP. And I just gotta say, there are few other users on Smogon so bad at one area and so good at another. I'll leave it up to you to figure out which he's good or bad at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)