Featured Rater #10 - haxiom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banner by Honus
Welcome to the Featured Rater project! This is a series of interviews where we ask official Team Raters, new and old, several questions about the RMT forum and their experiences within it. We hope that this offers both entertainment and an insight into their thought processes, which aspiring raters can look to incorporate into their own rates. This project is hosted by IronBullet and myself. Our tenth interviewee is haxiom, a respected moderator in the RMT community who has put in a ton of hard work and effort into the forum!

haxiom
Tell us a little bit about your life outside Smogon.

I'm a student currently living in the US. I like music a lot, and play piano, cello, guitar, and kinda drums. I also play volleyball. My life is basically me trying to balance music, volleyball, school, Pokemon, and church stuff.

What is your main tier? Do you rate teams from any other tiers?

Ubers is my main tier, and I do not rate teams from any other tiers mostly because I don't know any other tiers well enough.

When did you start rating and why?

I started rating pretty much from the start (so like ~Februrary/March of 2014), mostly because a much less mature me saw rating as a way to gain "credibility" so that my own RMTs get more rates. That's obviously not how it works, but its what got me started. After I rated for a while with kinda dumb intentions, I started rating for the sake of rating, began to learn the meta more and developed as a rater and user, though I wasn't especially great to start. From there it really took off as something I enjoyed.

Are there any raters who you looked up to when you started rating?

When I first started, not really. Probably the first rater that influenced me was Edgar when he started rating more, as he was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, so I looked up to him for sure. Later, there were some raters that I respected, but they didn't influence me quite as much as they started rating after I had sort of established myself; I hardly remember much in regards to other raters early on.

What do you most enjoy about rating?

I of course enjoy helping other users, as there's not much of a reason too rate much if you're not into helping people. Another aspect of rating that I did enjoy a lot was being able to improve teambuilding skills and apply metagame knowledge. Rating's primary focus should be on helping other people, something that I do enjoy very much, but its always nice to improve yourself as additional benefit.

Do you follow a process with your rates?

Yeah. The first thing I do is read over the RMT to get a general sense of the team and how it works, especially noting playstyle at this point as its important to keep in mind in regards to the goals of the team. Then, I try to look for weaknesses and other problems with the team such as Pokemon that kill momentum for an offensive team or something. After that, it's about trying to find changes that help the team function better to accomplish its goals. Usually at the end, I'll take a second look to see if there's any holes that have been opened up or small changes that could be made.

Do you have any words of advice for aspiring raters out there?

Don't be afraid to ask for help. If you want to get better at rating, you can't just keep doing the same thing over and over and expect things to get fixed. I was a pretty mediocre rater, but after getting my ladybug I realized some of the mistakes I was making and I could improve based on those things. If you can get established raters to look over a rate or two and give you some tips, this is immensely helpful in improving the quality of your rates.

Do you like the direction the RMT forum is taking at the moment? If you could change something, what would it be?

I do like the direction the RMT forum is taking. There's tons of raters and its cool to see the forum starting to branch out and support OMs and PU most recently, as well as Battle Spot a while back. I think the forum is growing nicely. There's not much I'd change outside of expanding existing things, especially helping aspiring raters improve.

As one of the few Ubers raters we have, how do you think we could boost activity in the Ubers RMT section?

A lot of problems stem from the issue of the RMTs themselves. The fact that Ubers RMTs tend to have quality issues (being showcases by tournament players or low quality / borderline joke teams) kind of discourages Ubers raters; additionally, the rating process can be kind of monotonous because you're often trying to fit as many of their original team members around a somewhat standard-ish defensive backbone so that the team isn't totally awful. There are some Ubers RMTs that are fine, and some of the lower quality teams are just barely passable, but it just discourages Ubers raters by not being as fun as it could be.

As a moderator, do you think there's any way in which we could enforce the basic RMT rules so that more people would follow them?

I mean, we do have rules in a stickied thread that says "[REQUIRED READING]". People just need to lurk a bit more and read the rules. I don't think its within our reasonable capabilities to get a significantly higher number of people to follow the rules if they're simply not willing to read them.

As an RO of the RMT room on PS how are you liking the current direction of the room? Do you have any future plans for the room or any ideas for activities we could possibly run?

Well, I think the room is really great some of the time, when things are working "as they should be". However, there are other times where its quite dead and the only people saying anything are people posting teams. So, I guess I like the direction and idea but since there's only so many raters on at a time, and even fewer in regards to specific tiers, so I don't think its reached its full potential yet. Personally, I don't have future plans, but I like the workshops we've been running. Having it in some way counting for rating contributions might not be a bad way to spark rating activity; however, it can be difficult to quantify stuff like that.

Do you have an RMT or a team you could share with us?

I'm still in the Ubers Open (maybe I won't be by the time this gets posted though), so I mean there are probably some builds that I won't share right now. Anyways, here's my RMT and a thread with some other teams some other players and I built.

Lastly, can you give us an example of a rate that exemplifies your particular style?

Had to dig a bit but this one from XY is not too bad.

------------

Thanks haxiom for a great interview! Feel free to leave any questions you have for him below. See you all next time :toast:

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Do you like the direction the RMT forum is taking at the moment? If you could change something, what would it be?

I do like the direction the RMT forum is taking. There's tons of raters and its cool to see the forum starting to branch out and support OMs and PU most recently, as well as Battle Spot a while back. I think the forum is growing nicely. There's not much I'd change outside of expanding existing things, especially helping aspiring raters improve.
other metas n_n

As an RO of the RMT room on PS how are you liking the current direction of the room? Do you have any future plans for the room or any ideas for activities we could possibly run?
However, there are other times where its quite dead and the only people saying anything are people posting teams. So, I guess I like the direction and idea but since there's only so many raters on at a time, and even fewer in regards to specific tiers, so I don't think its reached its full potential yet.
^
As an RMT voice I can comfortably say we may not need more auth, but we definitely need more active auth. The room is great sometimes, but a lot of the time there are teams upon teams posted being ignored and/or barely looked at. Even at times when auth are online.

hmm i guess i should add some questions

Do you believe banning pdon will improve ubers as a tier?

Do you think IronBullet or Yagura would win in a cage match?

Would you enjoy watching that cage match?

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Joshz said:
Do you believe banning pdon will improve ubers as a tier?

Do you think IronBullet or Yagura would win in a cage match?

Would you enjoy watching that cage match?
Well I think "improving ubers as a tier" is a bit tricky. Primal Groudon is extremely overcentralizing, but it also checks a lot of the meta (which is in part why it is so splashable). Thus, while banning it would diversify the meta quite a bit, it would also mean that there are far more threats to cover, and matchup would be even more of an issue. So the problem becomes how to finding the "just right" point where the metagame is diverse, but there aren't too many threats to cover, a problem that I think goes beyond a simple ban on Primal Groudon. So I would say I don't think it would fix too much in the long run.

Um I mean I guess Yagura lives in the desert so he must be tough? Probably would be kinda weird to watch and I don't really enjoy violence so I probably wouldn't watch it.

Where did the name haxiom come from?

Will you ever change from your default avatar?
"hey this name sounds kinda ok i guess lets roll with it and see what happens"
I'll probably change it. Just can't really say when, maybe in a few days, months, years, who knows.

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
What is your relationship to axioms ?
How much hax did you get in your matches because of your name ?
Will you change your name to Garchiom, Dragiom or Latiom?
What do you want to study?
How has rating influenced your life ?

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What is your relationship to axioms ?
How much hax did you get in your matches because of your name ?
Will you change your name to Garchiom, Dragiom or Latiom?
What do you want to study?
How has rating influenced your life ?
I don't really have a relationship to axioms besides the fact that it's in my username sorta.
It is impossible to discern whether any hax for or against me is the result of my username. I do get the people who hax me a bunch and are like "haha you're name is haxiom so I guess its totally fine if I hax you and gloat LOL!"
I will not be changing my name to those.
I don't really know what I want to study. I love music, but I don't really intend on pursuing that too much as a major/minor or anything. I honestly don't know, maybe wouldn't mind something like comp sci but I really haven't given as much thought as I should have to it yet.
Rating has made me much less productive in life.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
What's your favorite mon(s) to use in Ubers?
What's your preferred playstyle in Ubers?
Any tips for those that wanna learn to play/learn Ubers other than having Primal Groudon on every team?

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
If you can get a Pokemon to get a Mega Evolution that doesn't have one yet what would it be?

Do you think Primal Groudon should be Suspect Tested or no?

EDIT: Post Error 404

Reactions: TPP

haxiom

God's not dead.
What's your favorite mon(s) to use in Ubers?
What's your preferred playstyle in Ubers?
Any tips for those that wanna learn to play/learn Ubers other than having Primal Groudon on every team?
My favorite mons to use in Ubers would probably be the Magic Bounce users (Mega Diancie and Mega Sableye), I like the lead option they give against standard HO while also dealing with some other threats. I just think they're pretty consistent. I also like using Mega Gengar, it's pretty fun to trap stuff with Shadow Tag.
As for preferred playstyle, I like offense. I'll use standard HO sometimes, but I also don't mind other offensive archetypes like Toxic Spikes offense and the ones where Primal Groudon sets Stealth Rock and you have some sort of anti-lead + Darkrai check to help you vs standard HO.
Tips for people who want to learn/play Ubers: play the metagame with some sample teams first, learn the metagame to some extent before you start building. Also read some of the threads to gain more knowledge.
what even is a haxiom
I'm not entirely sure.
If you can get a Pokemon to get a Mega Evolution that doesn't have one yet what would it be?

Do you think Primal Groudon should be Suspect Tested or no?

EDIT: Post Error 404
Um idk mega haxorus? I'm impartial towards it but I actually do think a mega would be pretty interesting since it doesn't really get any usage as far as I know
I expressed thoughts on its ban above, but I wouldn't mind suspecting to see what the meta would look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)