Featured Rater #17 - Nedor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banner by imas234
Welcome to the Featured Rater project! This is a series of interviews where we ask official Team Raters, new and old, several questions about the RMT forum and their experiences within it. We hope that this offers both entertainment and an insight into their thought processes, which aspiring raters can look to incorporate into their own rates. This project is hosted by Snowy., IronBullet and myself. Our seventeenth interviewee is Nedor, who's emerged as one of our most promising and dedicated raters in recent times!

Nedor
Tell us a little bit about your life outside Smogon.

i'm a 13 year old serbian guy in elementary school and i currently live in toronto. some could say i live a fairly abnormal life for a person of my age; i play at a high level of football (soccer), even going around the globe to countries such as england, holland, portugal, spain, croatia, serbia, as well as the states for trials / tournaments. i also compete at a difficult level for track and field, but i'd definitely like to become a footballer when i grow up. my mother, who is a former olympian, trains me both mentally and physically to be at an optimal level, which has made me fond of working out consistently over the years. lastly, i've never had fast food in my entire life which people may find bizarre, but i honestly find the food to be appalling.

What is your main tier? Do you rate teams from any other tiers?

my main tier that i play as well as rate in is oras ou, due to the fact that it is the metagame i am most efficient in. rating in multiple tiers is something i definitely applaud users for doing as it can be challenging to keep up with the quickly changing trends, but oras uu is a tier i'm interested in and will hopefully start rating in sometime in the future.

When did you start rating and why?

i started rating on the forums sometime in september of 2015. i was influenced by a few close friends on ps! to start rating after having a few months of experience helping users with their builds as a driver and voice in competitive tutoring at the time. i recognized more and more people asking for a rate or how to improve their builds in general, and i thoroughly enjoyed applying my knowledge to slightly tweak a team in order to improve the goal, or simply help users in learning the metagame; this is also where my long / in-depth rating style was adapted from. i was motivated to keep rating not only because of my passion for the game, but also due to the positive response i received from my debut rate.

Are there any raters who you looked up to when you started rating?

prior to writing my first rate, i definitely lurked quite a bit to see the varied rating styles. in that time and to this day, i read a multitude of rates from people like BKC who definitely spent a long time helping the op to the best of his ability and he went tremendously in-depth because of his extensive metagame knowledge. Trinitrotoluene is another rater that i really looked up to when i first started out. he's known to be one of the best if not the greatest at formatting on smogon, and although many say its not relevant, i personally enjoy aesthetically pleasing rates; not to mention, he went rather in-depth and portrayed a high level of understanding the metagame. other raters that influenced me that i'd like to mention are: 49 and Albacore due to the amount of knowledge they depict on their rates, and the amount of effort they put in.

What do you most enjoy about rating?

it is difficult to pin-point what i like most about rating, but to put it shortly, i enjoy being capable of helping people improve their builds and and increasing user's knowledge and understanding of the metagame. seeing the op come back with positive results and happiness due to your changes is also extremely satisfying! also, i'm fond of how rating has turned me into a better teambuilder, as i can analyze my own teams more in-depth as i would with any rate on the forums, allowing me to make optimizations and modify my builds to what i feel is most optimal. through rating, i have also created bonds with many cool people which only makes 'mons a more enjoyable experience.

Do you have any words of advice for aspiring raters out there?

an important piece of advice i could provide for aspiring raters is to simply gain experience and knowledge in the metagame you're rating in, but this could be done successfully through multiple methods. the first and most obvious is simply playing the game to test what works and what doesn't work as theory is much different than practice; you may do a rate that works in your head, but if you don't have experience with your suggestion, it may not help the op. not to mention, playing gives you a better understanding of the metagame. secondly, watching and / or analyzing high level (tournament) replays would let you compare what works to what doesn't work in the current metagame. also, it is imperative to not get discouraged when you start rating, lurking around the forum and getting opinions on your rates definitely helps.

How was your experience participating in the RMT tour? Do you felt it has improved you as a rater?

overall, for the majority of the tournament, i had a really good experience participating in it. rating is something i really enjoy as improving upon user's builds is satisfying, and doing this in a more competitive scene made me more determined when i was provided with a team. the experience definitely made me a better rater as it gave me more experience in good formatting and thinking about everything possible; what are the least useful 'mons on the team? how does it function? what is the goal? and so on. the quality of my rates after the tournament went up which i was pleased about.

What are your thoughts on the PS teambuilding workshops? Do you feel there's a correlation between good teambuilding and good rating?

honestly, i haven't co-operated with the rmt room activities such as the workshops that occur, but i do plan on contributing to more projects with rmt, both ps! and smogon wise in the future. although, based on the logs of the workshops previously completed that i have went through, they seem successful for the most part. there is definitely a correlation between good teambuilding and good rating; if you're not familiar with the metagame and make subpar teams, that will be recognized in your rates. as i mentioned earlier, knowing the metagame you're rating in comes through playing a ton, watching replays, and reading up on the forums. to put it simply, if you are not an efficient teambuilder, your rates will definitely be lacking in a few areas.

Do you like the direction the RMT forum is taking at the moment? If you could change something, what would it be?

i definitely like the current direction the rmt forum is taking for a few reasons. first off, there are many team raters across the tiers meaning there is more than enough people that are willing to help users with their teams. also, i'm enjoying the fact that there is many aspiring raters that are interested in being involved with rmt. not only this, but there are many rating activities that have already been enforced, as well as many new potential ideas being brought up for the near future which allows users to get involved easily. honestly, there is nothing i would change with this forum right now, it is at a very good place for the reasons mentioned, all i can recommend is to keep it up!

Has your experience with rating teams had an influence on the way you play?

ever since i started rating, i have been capable of looking at the game on many aspects, whether it is building, playing, or anything in-between, on a much deeper level. i think this is mainly because i'm more familiar with teams and truly understanding how a multitude of different playstyles and archetypes function. also, i utilize team preview when playing much more efficiently because i've seen similar variations of teams on the rmt forum, allowing me to identify my opponent's sets much easier, therefore giving me an immediate advantage.

Lastly, can you give us an example of a rate that exemplifies your particular style?

there have been more than a few example of rates that provide a good example of my style, but i have chosen the ones that i personally feel made the greatest effect on the op's team.

rate 1
(pre-rmt tour) |
rate 2 (post-rmt tour)

even though these two rates were created a long time apart, i feel like they perfectly portray a nice format, metagame knowledge, and ultimately helping the op understand my beneficial changes.

Individual Shoutouts
FookMi? • this guy is my best friend on ps! and smogon. he's been by my side for close to a year now, and he's also a big supporter in anything i do. he always leads me on the right path in anything i attempt, and i 100% wouldn't be where i am today without him. thanks for everythin' fook.

m00ns • i've known you since you were involved in ct, and you've grown to be one of my best friends on this site. thanks for everything you've done for me!

ct people • you guys are all really cool, thanks for helping me branch off to other things on smogon and ps! as that is where i originally started.

celticpride and IronBullet and Trinitrotoluene • i appreciate all three of you supporting my rates and involvment with rmt early on, ya'll are really cool guys!

there's so many other people and they know who they are, but this list would simply be too long :toast:

------------

Thanks for taking the time to do this bro! Feel free to leave any questions you have for Nedor below :toast:

Alright Nedor I'll go first

• What position do you play as? What is the strongest aspect/attribute about yourself as a footballer?
  • What are some memorable experiences that you've experienced when playing football competitively, tours etc
  • Lastly, and the most puzzling of them all, WHY DO YOU SUPPORT SPURS?

Nedor

thiccc
Alright Nedor I'll go first

• What position do you play as? What is the strongest aspect/attribute about yourself as a footballer?
  • What are some memorable experiences that you've experienced when playing football competitively, tours etc
  • Lastly, and the most puzzling of them all, WHY DO YOU SUPPORT SPURS?
i'm a winger, i play comfortably on both sides, but i typically prefer the right as i enjoy cutting in to act as another midfielder and keep defenders on their toes. there are a few solid attributes i have as a footballer, i find the fact that i can play equally with both feet to be important, my acceleration / pace as a winger is almost mandatory, as well as good vision with the ball.

there are countless memories i've had playing football over the nine years i've been playing, but i'll try to pick out the best ones. so, i was in portugal in 2014 for a tournament / trial with sporting academy, we managed to make it to the finals, blowing past teams like benfica and espanyol. in around the last ten minutes of the match it was 1-0 for real madrid academy, but this is where i received a high ball on the right wing and proceeded to cut in to try and find the opposite wing or take it for myself; they managed to leave me enough space to strike from the top of the '18 yard box. needless to say, it went top shelf and tied the game 1-1, it took us to penalties and we won! in 2009 when i was just 7 years old in holland (can't recall which team we played), i scored a bicycle kick from fairly far out which was cool. there are many more examples, but i don't want this to be too long haha.

is there anything else i have to say? :D oh also, i had a really memorable trial with the spurs a few years ago and i've been a supporter ever since.

Last edited:
cute user Nedor hello
  • why do you say such crude things in your rap battles?
  • when are you and FookMi? getting married?
  • why do you have an obsession with cynthia?
  • are you really just Trinitrotoluene pretending to be a 13 year old serbian soccer player?
  • how is your spanish wife esmerelda doing and how are your 27 children?
  • approx. how many times a day do you go to the hospital?
  • Two trains leave the station at the same time, one heading west and the other east. The westbound train travels at 85 miles per hour. The eastbound train travels at 95 miles per hour. How long will it take for the two trains to be 252 miles apart? Do not do any rounding.
  • (edit:) why do young girls break into your house only to compliment your dumbbells and leave?
grats on getting the rater badge + getting interviewed for this like 7 seconds after you got it bud :]

Last edited:
hi nedor!!
  • fav foods? (deserts too) :@
  • thoughts on my naming sense?
  • how do u feel as a tumblr boy? do people rate u
  • what positively affects sprite aesthetics? like anything
  • tbh would you rather be spammed with asians or carnival?
  • when are we gonna build again? i need some good teams for ost! ;D
  • how are you 0-5 vs sneasel / chops / sigi / emboar / duggy / cofagrigus?
  • r there any songs that you've been listening to that you don't usually listen to?
  • what are some stuff you always were intrigued by but haven't felt like building with?
  • you got any idea to where you're most likely headed in terms of other parts of the forums?
  • how did you accomplish so much well done stuff during such a small time period? (smog + ps o_o)
  • what are your managing secrets? wtf you handle all this ps / smogon stuff pretty well with your irl things
i'm a winger, i play comfortably on both sides, but i typically prefer the right as i enjoy cutting in to act as another midfielder and keep defenders on their toes. there are a few solid attributes i have as a footballer, i find the fact that i can play equally with both feet to be important, my acceleration / pace as a winger is almost mandatory, as well as good vision with the ball.
edit: lies, you told me your favourite position was missionary during the jynx twinks phase
bomboarded with questions because you always clefable out games vs me hehehe deserved :^)

Last edited:

Nedor

thiccc
cute user Nedor hello
  • why do you say such crude things in your rap battles?
  • when are you and FookMi? getting married?
  • why do you have an obsession with cynthia?
  • are you really just Trinitrotoluene pretending to be a 13 year old serbian soccer player?
  • how is your spanish wife esmerelda doing and how are your 27 children?
  • approx. how many times a day do you go to the hospital?
  • Two trains leave the station at the same time, one heading west and the other east. The westbound train travels at 85 miles per hour. The eastbound train travels at 95 miles per hour. How long will it take for the two trains to be 252 miles apart? Do not do any rounding.
  • (edit:) why do young girls break into your house only to compliment your dumbbells and leave?
grats on getting the rater badge + getting interviewed for this like 7 seconds after you got it bud :
m00ns is the cutest user
she has a great sense of humour
smarter than a computer
her sense of style is adorable
not much to say shes simply phenomenal
her decisions are unstoppable
her plays, methodical
she pulls that double, causing trouble
cant be beat, your only choice is to accept the heat.

forgive my last rap m00ns :c (also happy early birthday! n_n)

it's being scheduled, we can't rush into things. :^)

cynthia is a perfect human being (◕‿◕✿)

how did you know? o:

we're tending cacti to the greatest of our ability.

i go to the hospital / doctor 3-4 times a week for various reasons, unfortunately. :(

http://imgur.com/9C7q9qN - had to create an applicable formula (V = distance / hour). sorry for the mess, but the final answer is: it will take 1.4h for the two trains to be 252 miles apart.

that may have been the weirdest day of my entire life...
hi nedor!!
  • fav foods? (deserts too) :@
  • thoughts on my naming sense?
  • how do u feel as a tumblr boy? do people rate u
  • what positively affects sprite aesthetics? like anything
  • tbh would you rather be spammed with asians or carnival?
  • when are we gonna build again? i need some good teams for ost! ;D
  • how are you 0-5 vs sneasel / chops / sigi / emboar / duggy / cofagrigus?
  • r there any songs that you've been listening to that you don't usually listen to?
  • what are some stuff you always were intrigued by but haven't felt like building with?
  • you got any idea to where you're most likely headed in terms of other parts of the forums?
  • how did you accomplish so much well done stuff during such a small time period? (smog + ps o_o)
  • what are your managing secrets? wtf you handle all this ps / smogon stuff pretty well with your irl things
edit: lies, you told me your favourite position was missionary during the jynx twinks phase
bomboarded with questions because you always clefable out games vs me hehehe deserved :^)
as my parents make everything home made, that is where i'm getting all of the following foods. breaded chicken cutlets + shrimp | mashed potatoes with sides like caesar salad is my favourite dinner ever. i find salmon and tilapia to be delicious as well. for desserts, my mom makes a variant of baklava once a year (every christmas) and its soooo fucking good.

you're naming sense is top tier.. that's what makes all your builds amazing.

being a tumblr boy is one of the most edgy titles a male can receive; being apart of this group of people just makes me even more edgier than i already am. and yes, i get rates from human beings i have never seen.

you must rearrange your 'mons based on colour to get perfect aesthetics, as well as change them around based on their size to complete the aesthetic. this is imperative in competitive building and is an art that goes deeper than competitive 'mons by far.

i've already been spammed by both way too many times, that's all i'm saying.

hop on skype you loser!

that build is literally satanic and unbeatable.

i listen to a wide range of music genres, but i've recently been listening to soothing piano covers of songs because they're really relaxing and help me focus whenever building or playing.

there's probably a lot of stuff i'm over looking right now, but there is not much recently that has intrigued me. i've built with a ton of stuff in oras ou and i have witnessed pretty much everything being used through replays or personal experiences, but i am intrigued in a few of the teams being made in spl from people like abr, pdc, and tdk.

a large part of my 'success' on ps! and smogon was through yourself and a few other users helping me get to this point, but my willingness to learn and stay dedicated to whatever i set my mind to, be it rating, helping in a room, or even writing posts in viability rankings is important. not overwhelming myself also helped me stay focused on one thing that i wanted to accomplish and it allows me to write quality posts in whatever i choose; quality > quantity.

to be honest, supervising 2 rooms (ct and ou), playing sports at a high level, and school can be really difficult to manage most days, but i have a few things that help me. as i mentioned earlier, you cannot overwhelm yourself with too many things at once 'mon wise, it only ends up in frustration. i try to finish the homework and assignments i do get in school a long time before they're due so i have time to focus on my hobbies and what i enjoy to do (it helps that i'm only grade 8 so i don't get a lot of homework right now anyways). having insomnia and insane sleep schedules allows me to get a lot of work done and allows me to time manage more efficiently. despite this, you have responsibilities in life over 'mons, so setting your priorities straight is important.

h-hi Nedor!
What's your opinion on sinners?
Who and what inspired you to play OU?
Opinions on low ladder OU?
What is a meme to YOU?
Opinions on anime??
i don't associate myself with sinners.

i honestly don't remember why i started playing the tier as opposed to something like nu or uu, but when i originally joined ps!, i quickly found ct and got help in how to teambuild. i somehow found fook, and he's been inspiring me to play the tier even since.

the low ladder is the scariest place to exist since the ps! lobby.

meme is a way of life, again, a much deeper art than competitive 'mons.

i haven't seen any but feel free to recommend some o:

Differences you've noticed going from unbadged user to badged user?

No other questions but it has been a pleasure getting to know you inside and outside of RMT. Keep up the good work :)

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Let us settle this once and for all between the competitive tutoring staff who wont stop blowing up my pms (angry)

Tatsumaki or Fubuki?

Hello my favorite Ned.

Do you run like a communist?
How is Isabella?
Am I your favorite CT driver whose name starts with an M?
Why do I beat you with M Garde every time we battle?

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
What is your Like:Post ratio, and is it higher than m00ns's ratio?

Favorite mon to use in OU?

If you had to choose 1 mon you wish could be more viable and be in OU, what would it be?

Teach me how to get likes on my rates before I'm done with rating :)

Nedor

thiccc
sorry for being so late on these, took a 2-3 day hiatus from 'mons :x.
Differences you've noticed going from unbadged user to badged user?

No other questions but it has been a pleasure getting to know you inside and outside of RMT. Keep up the good work :)
there honestly hasn't been much of a difference, but if i had to pick one thing, i've noticed more and more people personally coming to me for their teams.

thanks, cya around celtic !
Let us settle this once and for all between the competitive tutoring staff who wont stop blowing up my pms (angry)

Tatsumaki or Fubuki?
fubuki.
Hello my favorite Ned.

Do you run like a communist?
How is Isabella?
Am I your favorite CT driver whose name starts with an M?
Why do I beat you with M Garde every time we battle?
obviously.

isabella is doing fine taking care of all 28 children.

as you're the only driver that starts with m.... no. (hehe)

i don't even remember the last time i battled you.
What is your Like:Post ratio, and is it higher than m00ns's ratio?

Favorite mon to use in OU?

If you had to choose 1 mon you wish could be more viable and be in OU, what would it be?

Teach me how to get likes on my rates before I'm done with rating :)
my like:post ratio is 5.4:1, but m00ns' is most likely higher.

my favourite 'mon to use in ou is probably tyranitar just due to how effective it is and it's also on 40% of my builds.

there's a few lower tiered 'mons that i'd like to see get more usage and more viable, but i'd probably have to go with cofagrigus or rotom-heat.

this cannot be revealed, hehe. also don't quit rating / 'mons :c.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What made you want to play pokemon competitively intead of some other game?

What is the average grade you get on essays?

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i see ur from toronto aka g.o.a.t city, so what are ur opinions on:

- the canucks, habs, oilers, sens, f(lames), jets

- are u going to attend any events for the nba all star weekend?

- do u keep up with mls or do u prefer real soccer / football?

Nedor

thiccc
What made you want to play pokemon competitively intead of some other game?

What is the average grade you get on essays?
i've played the catridge games casually when i was a bit younger and i always enjoyed 'mons. i remember looking up proper movesets to get past something in x/y, i proceeded to find smogon shortly after and i'm here today.

don't know the exact average, but if i were to guess, 96%.
i see ur from toronto aka g.o.a.t city, so what are ur opinions on:

- the canucks, habs, oilers, sens, f(lames), jets

- are u going to attend any events for the nba all star weekend?

- do u keep up with mls or do u prefer real soccer / football?
if i'm being completely honest, i don't keep up with sports other than football, the only thing i can say is the raptors are sick and the leafs are shit.

i wish i could attend, but i'll be busy with irl commitments unfortunately :(

don't really spend my time watching mls and keeping up with it in general, so yes, i prefer real football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)